Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

^ TBCH about my opinions on Citrus, I'd have to show you something from the Confederacy episode of Last Week Tonight. At one point there, John Oliver gave us what he called the Hitler - Hank Spectrum: bad to good. At some point on that spectrum, it's not OK to commemorate people, though it does get tricky around the middle, where, of course, we get Adolf Hankler. Now, I'm gonna apply the Hitler - Hank Spectrum to my yuri manga preferences, and say that to me, Citrus is the Adolf Hankler of yuri manga: dead in the middle of that spectrum.

I am sure that made sense to you.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BugDevil posted:

When Citrus was good? Maybe it's me that's from a parallel universe...

Well, let's be fair. Citrus had potential. First 2 volumes or so were good. It just went downhill really fast.

last edited at May 15, 2019 10:19AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

BugDevil posted:

Well, let's be fair. Citrus had potential. First 2 volumes or so were good. It just went downhill really fast.

Yeah it did. And honestly I don't dislike it anyway. It's servicable and entertaining, just not well... good.
When it hit those high notes it was very emotional though. I still feel my heart clench when I remember the "It's not enough!" page.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

[Citrus] It's servicable and entertaining, just not well... good.

I think that was the point of the John Oliver anecdote--on a scale of "excellent" to "nothing whatsoever good about it," Citrus was in that muddled middle.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ So, I basically deleted that post of mine for nothing? Oh, well, at least BugDevil's post that quoted it still stands, so I can look at the half-full glass.

last edited at May 15, 2019 2:46PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To bring the discussion back on topic, when I first started reading them, the opening of YagaKimi reminded me more than a little of the opening of Citrus—the obvious character design similarities between Mei and Touko, of course, but also the rather assaultive first kisses.

As it turned out, they ultimately couldn’t be more different in their approach to plot and structure, though. YagaKimi has been faulted for being excessively methodical and architectonic (an argument I’d be inclined to grant for readers who are looking for more emotional fireworks and roller-coaster thrills), but I personally have really appreciated the sense of a firm hand at the wheel of a craft that knows exactly where it’s going.

I’d have to go back and really look to see where in Citrus I finally realized that there was no master plan—it was a sinking feeling, I do remember that.

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Your comment made me realize why I never got that invested in YagaKimi lol Yuu is way too grounded for me, she is an actual reasonable person. I am totally fine with kind fictional girls, like I really like Yuzu for example (or did when Citrus was good), because she is kind. But being actually reasonable I guess crosses a line for me xD

Same for Touko: she is my favourite in the story but I still didn’t get that invested because although troubled, she doesn’t ever dip into the dark side. If she had manipulated Yuu on purpose in the beginning for example I would’ve been hooked.

Naturally I don't want to make any assumptions from your preferences in fiction... but do you break up with people a lot? Just an innocent query.

Used to be addicted to the chase. Been chill for a few years now so reading these stuff is like smoking vs vaping.

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

To bring the discussion back on topic, when I first started reading them, the opening of YagaKimi reminded me more than a little of the opening of Citrus—the obvious character design similarities between Mei and Touko, of course, but also the rather assaultive first kisses.

As it turned out, they ultimately couldn’t be more different in their approach to plot and structure, though. YagaKimi has been faulted for being excessively methodical and architectonic (an argument I’d be inclined to grant for readers who are looking for more emotional fireworks and roller-coaster thrills), but I personally have really appreciated the sense of a firm hand at the wheel of a craft that knows exactly where it’s going.

I’d have to go back and really look to see where in Citrus I finally realized that there was no master plan—it was a sinking feeling, I do remember that.

For me it was in chapter 36, when I predicted there was no way anyone could ever get us out of that mess. Honestly I can now say YagaKimi is just better.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Used to be addicted to the chase. Been chill for a few years now so reading these stuff is like smoking vs vaping.

Addicts need higher dopamin rushes every time. That's why people who only crave intense drama reach a point where they can't be satisfied anymore and have to go darker or more self-destructive.

That's why one needs to balance what they consume. Have a lowkey wholesome thing between two large tearjerkers etc. If all you know is bleak, you dont appreciate dark stories and if all you know is drama, you stop getting exctied.

Well most people I know who are too deep into drama shows tend to mellow out eventually and appreciate cute stuff more.

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

Yeah...well maybe I should read Kase-san :D

Going back on topic, I am curious as to what the rest of the story here will be about. It would be nice if there is a timeskip.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Going back on topic, I am curious as to what the rest of the story here will be about. It would be nice if there is a timeskip.

I wouldn't say it's out of the question. But whether that timsekip happens towards the epilogue or in the last 5 chapters is hard to say. And if it happens early, how long will it be? I can't see them skipping out of high-school if it's not in the last chapter.

joined Oct 22, 2018

For some reason, both the above posts reminded me of that prediction post of mine. That "Barking at the Stars"-type ending would technically count as a timeskip (even though there's no way that's how it's gonna end) ;(

joined Nov 5, 2017

I wouldn't say it's out of the question. But whether that timsekip happens towards the epilogue or in the last 5 chapters is hard to say. And if it happens early, how long will it be? I can't see them skipping out of high-school if it's not in the last chapter.

Sayaka's second light novel shows a timeskip to college. I wonder if yagakimi will end at the same timeline too, or if it'll do a bigger timeskip in the last chapter and show them as working adults.

last edited at May 16, 2019 12:02PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Sayaka's second light novel shows a timeskip to college. I wonder if yagakimi will end at the same timeline too, or if it'll do a bigger timeskip in the last chapter and show them as working adults.

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to decide whether this black bar hides a lego brick or a landmine.
Either way I'm going to lose my foot if I step on it, so maybe I should wait until whatever this is can be said openly.

last edited at May 16, 2019 12:05PM

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to decide whether this black bar hides a lego brick or a landmine.
Either way I'm going to lose my foot if I step on it, so maybe I should wait until whatever this is can be said openly.

It's a very minor spoiler about the third Sayaka novel.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

A summary of the second Sayaka novel is here if you want to read it. https://greatpassage.wordpress.com/2019/05/17/yagate-kimi-ni-naru-saeki-sayaka-ni-tsuite-vol-2/

There's a little something there for all the Midori x Manaka shippers.

It’s been a week and cliques have already been formed within the classrooms. Sayaka finds herself in the company of Yoshida Manaka and Igarashi Midori, two girls who get on like a house on fire despite their differing characters. Manaka is extremely gregarious and a little tactless, saying whatever is on her mind without bothering what other people think. Midori is a little more reserved and though she won’t admit it, she and Manaka are a perfectly matched-up pair – almost like a comedy duo married couple.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Even authors other than Nakatani have been enligthened to the truth I see. Delightful!

last edited at May 18, 2019 6:52AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

^ It's hilarious because it's true.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I personally like sensible characters in fiction. Characters like Yuu, for example. She's just so nice and kind and she feels so REAL! Yuu may be a foil for Touko, but I definitely like her more.

I mean, weird drama is fine, but sometimes it's nice to see that not all manga creators are from a parallel universe or something. Here's a story which could actually take place in a real world and which has been actually written with a great degree of storytelling skill.

joined Oct 22, 2018

^ this

joined Oct 30, 2018

One more day til raws..

Ch41 preview:
https://twitter.com/yagakimi/status/1130314018533462017

Sasasasasas
joined Dec 25, 2013

https://imgur.com/a/42gPXkr Ch 41 Raws.

They are so fucking cute!
I thought I was going to lose interest once Touko and Yuu were together, but thankfully I was wrong.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I thought I was going to lose interest once Touko and Yuu were together, but thankfully I was wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

They are super cute together. Sayaka bullying Yuu briefly as a small revenge before conceding is also kind of adorable. Koyomi demonstrates once again that she is the most observant person in the series.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

WOW. That's an awesome chapter. Can't wait for scans... :D

18e
joined Aug 16, 2017

One more day til raws..

Ch41 preview:
https://twitter.com/yagakimi/status/1130314018533462017

im blushing ahhhh

To reply you must either login or sign up.