Forum › Watashi no Kanojo wa Otokonoko discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

This thread will be heavily moderated!!

Please think twice before hitting that enter button. This story is described as, "a modern love story about a high school LGBTQAI+ couple," so if that doesn't sound like something you want to read, please consider skipping it! We've added two new tags specifically for this work - Non-binary, and Bigender.

A quick FAQ about tags;

Why is there no Yuri or Het tag?

Yuuko is non-binary whilst Makoto is bigender. Given that both reject the gender binary, neither Yuri nor Het are appropriate.

Why is there no Crossdressing or Transgender tag?

Makoto is bigender, so technically Crossdressing could never be an accurate tag. Meanwhile, on page 11, it's specifically stated about Makoto that, "They did say they aren't transgender," and on page 17, Yuuko makes the observation, "Doesn't that make you bigender?" Thus, Bigender is more appropriate.

Any of the above tag suggestions will be rejected outright. Please refer to Nezchan's post below for more information about this thread!

last edited at Jan 30, 2019 2:35PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Chiming in to add that I, along with Pekoe and DPF of course, will be moderating this discussion more strictly than usual.

That shouldn't affect most of you at all, but comments deemed to be offensive or trolling will be deleted on sight. Repeat offenders will receive one-day bans. So be aware of what you're posting before you hit that send button.

Personally, I'd like to have faith that none of this will be necessary and we can all enjoy a bit of manga goodness.

last edited at Jan 30, 2019 2:36PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I'm hoping for the same, Nez-sama!

On a personal note I thought it was pretty nice & cute. A bit of a shame that Miki was just a total jerk who wanted to get with Makoto but didn't detract too much from all the positive stuff. Those tense moments between Makoto and Yuuko were too much for my heart to handle!

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Wow, I could feel the tension the whole way. That's...Really uncomfortable.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, the tension really got to me, with Miki's intentions so unclear until near the end. Although I do like that by the time they did become clear, it wasn't something totally out of the blue.

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Damn that was intense. Really sweet ending though. Made my heart race. Nice to see LGBTQ manga breaking into the modern gender categories too!

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I wanted that one rude girl to meet Truck-kun at first, but I think she got what she needed at the end.
And while I don't completely understand the characters' situations, it was pretty dang moving. Really nice art too.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

To me, this feels kind of like an educational work, more than a story, and I'm thinking that might be exactly the purpose the author wrote this for. While it is a self-contained story, it focuses heavily on introducing these concepts — which are no doubt foreign to a lot of people, especially in a rather conservative society like Japan — explaining what they mean, and that they're important.

While I didn't particularly enjoy the story, as I'm generally more for happy fluff stuff, I think it did the above really well. Having two characters, one who's "aggro", and one who's timid, also helps, I think, as it shows that non-acceptance (and to a lesser extent ignorance) can be and often is hurtful, but that people react in different ways (which of course also applies to many other situations as well).

All in all, a pleasant surprise to see something so open-minded and well-educated on LGBT come out of Japan (as even LGBT authors are often guilty of generalising and/or leaning on tropes).

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

nice

Bikkiav
joined Feb 9, 2015

Uh, weird scanlator credits at the start there.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

this was really good! i have never heard of bi-gender before so it was interesting to read (if not a little hard to comprehend :P) its a shame that girls was just the worst, not even just the whole im on your side but making it worst by accident she was just an ass for the sake of it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm hoping for the same, Nez-sama!

On a personal note I thought it was pretty nice & cute. A bit of a shame that Miki was just a total jerk who wanted to get with Makoto but didn't detract too much from all the positive stuff. Those tense moments between Makoto and Yuuko were too much for my heart to handle!

Aside from the whole gender thing, I think this story handled the fear of disappointing your lover by being too "weak" better than most manga I've read. That part really struck me as honest and relatable.

D.va_avatar
joined May 3, 2017

I feel bad for poor Miki. Good show of what's wrong with the western LGT community otherwise.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh hey... that was my upload request. I knew it would fit right on this site.

joined Apr 15, 2013

It was an uncomfortable read, but I ended up really liking it. I kind of guessed what Miki's problem was about half way through, and I don't hate her. I feel like she was a good antagonist for the story.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

God, that school councilor. Begrudgingly on the level until it goes past what he's comfortable with, too close to home.

last edited at Jan 30, 2019 4:29PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't find it uncomfortable though? I feel like the author wanted to educate readers about agender and bigender people and what it does or does not entails, like the way you dress. The whole story about Miki is relatively secondary. She's just used as an audience to explain things to.

joined Jan 4, 2014

I really liked it. The characters feel realistic, a snapshot of young people and their struggle with their own identities within the relatively conformist society that is Japan.

God, that school councilor. Begrudgingly on the level until it goes past what he's comfortable with, too close to home.

Agree. Sort of the "we've been told we should be tolerant in such matters, but it has to be done in a way that we can relate to it without having to change our mindset in any way"...

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Am curious what the title translates to in English? Google translate gives one thing, and mangadex another...

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017

oh hey that's pretty cool, its good to see this sorta stuff around here

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

What a nasty piece of work this Miki was.

Am curious what the title translates to in English? Google translate gives one thing, and mangadex another...

From my (non-existant) knowledge of jp, it'd be something like "My Girlfriend is a boy".

last edited at Jan 30, 2019 5:03PM

joined Nov 7, 2017

I read this a few weeks back and cried... It was just...

It helps to see that even in a place like Japan, where they do not have a good track record of accepting Trans people in media as anything but "okama" or other offensive terminology, that a manga like this could break the mold and show the realities of a situation like ours... While I agree that the story is a bit lacking, the story isn't the point. It's the characters and how they deal with their feelings vs their surroundings.

I love it. Again and again.
Thanks for posting it here.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

i find it so funny that in like, the literal oneshot about how gender and sexuality is a big fuck and everyone should do what they want, it's STILL childhood friends.

definitely interested in seeing what this author does going forward, esp if they take these strong themes and art and apply them to more diverse settings

Uh, weird scanlator credits at the start there.

yeah i... really don't know what was up there. it's weird, since it's otherwise a pretty sensitive and genuine TL?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

shadesan posted:

"My Girlfriend is a Trap."

Sorry I had too xP
Depending on kanji used "Otokonoko" can be translated as a "trap", but in this case it is the standard meaning of a "boy", so "My Girlfriend is a Boy".

That is what you get for guessing the meaning, without actually making sure which kanji they used.

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017

what's up with that little blurb in the scanlator credits there on page 2? are they making fun? Pretty rude if thats the case.

Also wow Yuuko, they straight up grabbed Makoto's whole entire bulge at the end there.

One thing i'm curious about is, what pronouns does Makoto use? both she/her and he/him interchangeably?

To reply you must either login or sign up.