Forum › Their Story discussion

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

have the started dating yet? I keep coming back at random chapters and can't figure it out

Presumably, they have, but the exact point of the relationship upgrade was not shown, despite that being the thing most of us waited to see for years. That entire arc, with the first kiss and the broken-hearted fangrill, will in all likelihood never be continued. I might be wrong on that, but at this point I would not hold my breath waiting for it.

Whether the content the author had in mind is too explicit for Chinese authorities, or she just fell into an (understandable) creative slump over the censorship issue, is anyone's guess. Given the current climate in that part of the world, and the fact the author explicitly stated this has taken quite a toll on her, I honestly not only expect the work never to continue that particular arc, I fear we shall never get any romantic scenes beyond blushing, holding hands, and looking at each other longingly.

Because that is another thing I noticed. Their relationship was, presumably, changed to that of lovers. SJ was pursuing QT for ages (both in-universe, and in real life releases), and QT finally reciprocated, so it is a pretty safe assumption to make. However, we have not been shown any major change in their routine as of yet, and that is the thing, I do not think we will. The whole reason this work was being postponed from publishing was over the censorship of openly gay moments, like kissing and such. With the current Chinese censorship regulations, and the fact the author already ran into problems with it, the emotional slump she fell into afterwards... Honestly, I do not think we will ever receive anything more than these random "safe" little episodes from the lives of the main characters.

That in and of itself is not a bad thing, chapters are still cute, and humorous, or even serious and educational, like the last one, but before the whole censorship controversy blew up, this work had a little more substance to it, it was a slice-of-life that had several major arcs of deeper plot going as well. Now, it is just a random slice-of-life, and that is not the work I started reading, what? 4, 5 years ago? Too much time has passed for this to switch gears without a significant drop in interest, at least for me.

joined Sep 3, 2017

Yeah, the fact that this comic is literally dangerous for the author to write makes this all rather concerning. When looking at this story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-46257240 with a author facing 10 years of jail for writing gay sex scenes, I think it's not worth it.
I love this story, but I honestly think the author should stop, this story is not worth risking serious jail time for writing and she is risking that. She SHOULD be afraid of the consequences for what she is making. I respect her courage, but it is a lot of risk for relatively minor gain, it is just a comic after all.

is the taboo aspect wat makes yuri interesting in the first place for you guys?
i wonder if in the future it won’t be as special

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's not the titillation of taboo per se that makes yuri stories interesting to me, but the way that societal assumptions tweak the premises of the romance genre.

As just one minor example, the "childhood friends" trope--in het romances, if a girl and a guy have been close friends since childhood, the expectation of the people around them is that their relationship is or will become romantic, but in yuri it's the other way around, creating an entirely different set of story problems and possibilities.

(And, of course, girls are just more interesting than guys. But that's my own personal prejudice. lol)

joined Oct 3, 2014

No, I just think girls are cuter.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

loudsea posted:

No, I just think girls are cuter.

Ah, I see you're a person of culture as well

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I was in my late 20s when I openly acknowledged I was bi. I still remember during my childhood occasionally having curious thoughts about members of my own gender and tamping those thoughts down because "gay" and "fag" were literally the most common insults I heard growing up. It was the worst thing you could possibly be, so obviously that wasn't me, not even a little. I kinda knew that was bullshit, but I was afraid to accept it.

I like, in general, stories about people that love each other no matter what, about relationships that are happy and healthy because the people involved understand who they are. I also relate heavily to queer coming-around stories, regardless of the genders of the protagonists.

What I love about this comic, in particular, is the way Sun Jing's friends just immediately accepted her and her feelings for Qiu Tong, as well as the way every character in the comic is just hilarious. Upperclassman is adorable, Mophead is hilarious, Tattletale is a riot, Sun Jing is such a dork, Qiu Tong is a precious cinnamon roll. Seriously, I love all these characters so much.

last edited at Dec 16, 2018 10:37AM

Wolfsister%20cara
joined Feb 10, 2013

Yeah, the fact that this comic is literally dangerous for the author to write makes this all rather concerning. When looking at this story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-46257240 with a author facing 10 years of jail for writing gay sex scenes, I think it's not worth it.
I love this story, but I honestly think the author should stop, this story is not worth risking serious jail time for writing and she is risking that. She SHOULD be afraid of the consequences for what she is making. I respect her courage, but it is a lot of risk for relatively minor gain, it is just a comic after all.

That kind of thinking is what makes some people in the world still oppress other people.

It is NOT just for a comic book. It is the right to be able to express oneself freely because of what the author is risking. And it's the same thing that, throughout history, hundreds of thousands of people have risked, many of them anonymous, for which to renounce their struggle would not have been so much because it was "a lot of risk for relatively minor gain".

It is very easy to forget how much it cost to earn things that no longer affect us and that we take for granted.

Quoting M3rl1n some post ahead:

we dont only have rights but responsability!

I could not agree more.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Remy posted:

I see yuri as normal romance stories just like het. I never considered them taboo in the first place, so it was never factor for me. Sure when homosexuality isn't accepted in story it can create unique situations and plots, not present in het works, but we still also have plenty of fluffy yuri where being gay is not only accepted, but often treated as normal. And most importantly, as a lesbian girls liking each other is something natural to me. Despite reading dozens of het stories, I could never get invested into male lead, so yuri is pretty much exactly what I want. Also girls are superior gender.

i guess what i meant is in the future, as LGBT becomes accepted, would these types of work be less interesting

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Remy posted:

i guess what i meant is in the future, as LGBT becomes accepted, would these types of work be less interesting

Straight people are widely accepted and there are no less people interested in stories about them. Harlequin novels are selling as well as ever.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Remy posted:

If you only read them for novelty sake, then yes. They would.

joined Feb 3, 2016

Did they make Sun Jing angrier/ more masculine looking since the first chapter? She looks super angry all the time.

joined Oct 13, 2014

there she goes being suave again

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

DO EEEEEET

channels inner Sebastian

KISS DE GIRL!

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

DO EEEEEET

channels inner Sebastian

KISS DE GIRL!

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

DO IT THEN

fukin dare ya

joined Feb 1, 2013

How horrible that the author of this wonderful series now lives in a world so intolerant to LGBT that she might litterally face jail time just for the "crime" of depicting the mushy romance of two cute dorky girls in love with each other.

Homura-devil
joined May 7, 2018

I really don't understand how Qiu Tong hasn't done that yet, with how suave Sun Jing has been since the pair's kiss in front of that fountain.

How horrible that the author of this wonderful series now lives in a world so intolerant to LGBT that she might litterally face jail time just for the "crime" of depicting the mushy romance of two cute dorky girls in love with each other.

IKR, the world is a cruel place for something so pure. It's kind of why I relate to the lyrics of Ed Sheeran's A Team so much.

It's too cold outside, for Angels to fly,
An Angel will die, covered in white,
closed eyes, and hoping for a better life,
this time...

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

If you keep this up I'm going to kiss you

Oh no. What a horrible threat.

Itzameapotterhead
Img_pzb2xa
joined Jul 4, 2016

Oh no how dare she suggest kissing her! How horrible

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

So, it is safe to assume, I guess, that in another world those two would have kissed right now. I'm expecting tons of fanart and doujinshi to actually depict it.... Anyone? Pls? (Or I'll have to do it myself, and you don't want that :p)

last edited at Dec 22, 2018 3:09AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.