Forum › Chapel Perilous discussion

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

I don't understand...Can somebody please explain?

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

"I love you, girl I met 14 seconds ago!"
14 seconds later
"Oh no, she is gone, how poignant our love was"

In all seriousness, I think the reason this doesn't work is that it seems to throw two girls together, they fall deeply in love instantly, fall asleep without a single additional line, and then have one girl immediately forget that girl to fall deeply in love with the next girl the instant she wakes up. And then she'll act all "alas, for time gone by and yet these feelings...!" when, for her, less than a minute of actual conscious time has passed. You JUST went to sleep, why are you suddenly all ephemeral and nostalgic?

Hell, warn the poor girl not to crawl into the coffin with you! Get out of that coffin! Get some ice cream with her or something! You know what happens when you both go to sleep, there's nothing stopping you from breaking this cycle except your weirdly sudden personality shift into Galadriel, somber mourner of fates too tragic to explain or prevent

last edited at Oct 29, 2018 12:22PM

joined Apr 28, 2014

Wasn't there suppose to be two immortal chics? And, what's the deal with the skull?

When the first girl woke the other, that skull was her friend that they gained "eternity" with. Then however many years later the skull you see is of that girl. They have pretty much swapped roles. Now these new people who have just found her will probably be the next to sleep there for a couple hundred years and keep they cycle going.

Seeing a lot of comments on a lot of things recently of "crappy story" or "cliche" and so forth, when did the comments start becoming so high and mighty. just enjoy the yuri, jesus.

Any time a story is a bit sad or shows characters in a darker or more realistic light you will see those sorts of generic nebulous complaints. It's the whole "that story made me feel bad so it must be bad" mentality.

In this particular case this isn't an amazing manga in my opinion, but due to its story being an unhappy one it will get way more flack than it deserves.

And I gotta disagree here, I don't dislike this because it's dark or sad, but because it's the worst kind of dark and sad. It's not bothering to even give these characters names, let alone interests or opinions or personalities. I can't feel sorry for this tragic love if it was only based on a single quick line if exposition, and ended with only a single, beautiful tear. I get it's a one shot, but it couldn't be less interested in making you care about the people it's presenting.

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

I'd say the focus of this story is the curse and how the curse's story changes over time, the characters don't matter.

joined Apr 28, 2014

I'd say the focus of this story is the curse and how the curse's story changes over time, the characters don't matter.

Yeah, but if the characters don't matter, then what makes it sad? You might as well take a baseball bat to a mannequin.

joined Aug 24, 2016

I'd say the characters matter a lot, that's inherently why this curse is so tragic. This is basically a death trap for curious teens with the only upside being a single disappearance every 100 years.

It certainly isn't any more romantic than a venus fly trap.

Images
joined Feb 5, 2018

I don't understand...Can somebody please explain?

So to explain simply, the witch didn't grant them physical eternity but rather cursed them, one of them dies & her feelings get passed down to whoever discovers the sleeping girl, hence the love in 10 seconds deal.

This cycle will continue as long some dumb girl tried to satisfy her curiosity, & I'm guessing that the girl short hairs discovered wasn't even one of the original cursed girls.

last edited at Oct 29, 2018 5:05PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

14 seconds later

In all seriousness, I think the reason this doesn't work is that it seems to throw two girls together, they fall deeply in love instantly, fall asleep without a single additional line, and then have one girl immediately forget that girl to fall deeply in love with the next girl the instant she wakes up.

It was my impression that this was the nature of the curse. The narration boxes on page 16, to me, seem to be the compulsion, or even description, of a curse. On the other hand, the first girl is powerless to stop the curse and somewhat apathetic as she delivers her lines about how it is what they both wish. Her love, much like the second girl when she realizes the third girl is already snared by the curse, is insincere or pitying.

Ah, and on page 20 the second girl says just that. It was the curse that set her heart aflutter, she says.

Though, if you didn't want to give the first woman a hug after she told that story, you may be lacking empathy.

last edited at Oct 29, 2018 10:32PM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

14 seconds later

That about sums it up.

I gave negative comment because I have issues with the story, not because I dislike tragedy. If the story makes sense and it flows, I have no problem. But this...

I'm going to give this one flak for the way the scenario was setup. Two girls thought their love may get crushed by busybody adults so they went to the witch of the ABYSS. Eternity apparently meant you fall asleep while the love of your life decomposes right next to you. So romantic. Now we have the next victim lining up to hear the spoopy story and then becoming trapped in the curse. (never mind how eager and puppy eyed these girls are. It's like they are waiting for their favorite grandma to tell them a cool ghost story by the campfire. Danger? Curses? What're those?) In a literal blink of an eye, the first victim wakes up to fresh meat showing up. Ok, what does victim number 1 do? Ominous "so you're the next". Basically implying this cycle repeats again and this feelings of love continue, just with new meat thrown into it every cycle.

So the only thing preserved are these feelings which become more like actual curses, just super self-contained if you are not dumb enough to seek out the story.

I'm vastly more annoyed than saddened because this story feels empty. The original girl (assuming indeed the original girl) wakes up and she seems very much aware that this was going to be the end result. She expected this. She doesn't seem bothered by it that much. She only cries at the end of her story, and right before the sleep of death occurs.

We've gotten some tragic stories since it's Spookoween, but this one was bland after reading Please. Please had all the right setup. It was subtle. You knew from the start something was off. And then you get to the end and you get hit by the feel train. Chapel could have been handled better. The story instead should start not at the church where the girl recounts the story, but maybe at the starting point where the two girls felt pressured to go the witch to keep their undying love going. That way we get to see first hand how much emotional impact it had on the first pair. But no, the way this girl tells her story is more like me trying to explain my supermarket shopping trip. Except my supermarket story doesn't end with dead people.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Wasn't there suppose to be two immortal chics? And, what's the deal with the skull?

When the first girl woke the other, that skull was her friend that they gained "eternity" with. Then however many years later the skull you see is of that girl. They have pretty much swapped roles. Now these new people who have just found her will probably be the next to sleep there for a couple hundred years and keep they cycle going.

No no, I get it. I was just speaking from the new girl's perspective. She hears a tail of two girls, in love, being granted immortality, and finds only one, clutching a skull lovingly. If I were in her shoes I would have asked those questions.
These are the type of hardball questions you need to ask, before you make the big purchases, like a new house, or eternity, with the one you love. We all need to learn, to be better consumers.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Honestly when she was holding onto the skull it was pretty obvious how things were gonna go down

But im all down for creepy tragedy Yuri over Halloween! Especially if it's like Please, that one still gets me

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Honestly when she was holding onto the skull it was pretty obvious how things were gonna go down

But im all down for creepy tragedy Yuri over Halloween! Especially if it's like Please, that one still gets me

Hoo boy, it ain't even Halloween yet. I hope you're as excited for what's coming as I am. I mean, I KNOW what's coming...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No no, I get it. I was just speaking from the new girl's perspective. She hears a tail of two girls, in love, being granted immortality, and finds only one, clutching a skull lovingly. If I were in her shoes I would have asked those questions.
These are the type of hardball questions you need to ask, before you make the big purchases, like a new house, or eternity, with the one you love. We all need to learn, to be better consumers.

That's my point: "live forever" is always a scam.

"Dear Beloved, I am the daughter of the late Witch of the Abyss, and I have recently recovered the magnificent store of Eternal Life that was lawlessly confiscated from my Family upon my mother's much lamented passing. I have been given truthful information that this Eternal Life truly belongs to you [Insert Name Here], and I am truly desperate to ensure that justice is done to you. To secure your Life Everlastingly, all you must do is visit Derelict Church in Forbidden Grove, where an assistant will be instructed you as to the needful procedure to live forever. Is quite necessary is to bring also your a stamped and authorized ticket along with you, which I will be overjoyed to send to your distinguished self by mail as soonest as I receive your confirmation letter and the nominal handling fee to receive your life that never ends, by means of senting the routing number to your banking account along with a facsimile of your official signature, which is a mere formality."

Once burned, twice shy is my motto.

V003
joined Oct 15, 2018

I mean, I KNOW what's coming...

Don't give away the show, Altair :P

last edited at Oct 30, 2018 5:53PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

That's my point: "live forever" is always a scam.

"Dear Beloved, I am the daughter of the late Witch of the Abyss, and I have recently recovered the magnificent store of Eternal Life that was lawlessly confiscated from my Family upon my mother's much lamented passing. I have been given truthful information that this Eternal Life truly belongs to you [Insert Name Here], and I am truly desperate to ensure that justice is done to you. To secure your Life Everlastingly, all you must do is visit Derelict Church in Forbidden Grove, where an assistant will be instructed you as to the needful procedure to live forever. Is quite necessary is to bring also your a stamped and authorized ticket along with you, which I will be overjoyed to send to your distinguished self by mail as soonest as I receive your confirmation letter and the nominal handling fee to receive your life that never ends, by means of senting the routing number to your banking account along with a facsimile of your official signature, which is a mere formality."

Once burned, twice shy is my motto.

You're absolutely right, buyer beware. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go. I'm going to be rich. a Nigerian prince has promised me 4 million dollars. All I have to do is send him 10 grand, so he can unfreeze his bank accounts.

last edited at Oct 31, 2018 1:38AM

29216120_985796631584578_7844572378056777434_n
joined Nov 5, 2017

Kids, don't believe in fables like this mmkay?

Forest%20fairy%20-%20copy
joined Nov 30, 2017

I was under the impression that the nature of the curse has been repeating for hundreds of years, and that the light haired girl wasn't even one of the original two. Seems like every girl that listens to the girl's story becomes cursed to feel deep love for the one who they awoke, like the story itself is a spell, and the one that wakes up is compelled to tell the story, either because of the nature of the curse or because of the love they had felt for the previous person leading to heartbreak or something. The girl asking "Hey, have you been in there all these hundreds of years?" at the end is under the impression that the other girl is one of the original two, but she's not as it's only been a hundred for her. Then the curse repeats, compelling the woken to share the story and cursing the listener with the love the two shared. Therefore, through each girl, those two girls become eternal through the story that is passed down, much like legends of old.

I mean, the witch did as asked and made their feelings eternal, but in the same way that myths and legends are eternal when they are passed down from one person to the next. Well, that and the love people feel due to the curse. Should have been more specific in their request like, I don't know, "Make us immortal" instead of eternal? Not that hard, although the witch probably would have found a way to fuck with them even then, like turning them into impervious statues while they lovingly embrace one another. :I

Edit: With all that said, I could be wrong. Maybe the light-haired girl is one of the original two, and it's only been a hundred years since she and her love made the request. Seems a bit unlikely due to the way the story seems to have been warped from it's original, but a lot can change in a hundred years, especially stories.

last edited at Nov 1, 2018 2:57PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Should have been more specific in their request like, I don't know, "Make us immortal" instead of eternal? Not that hard, although the witch probably would have found a way to fuck with them even then, like turning them into impervious statues while they lovingly embrace one another. :I

People, people, people—I’ve been trying to tell you: this never ever works. No matter how slick you think you are—you know who’s slicker? FATE, that’s who.

Let me lay a name on you: Tithonus. The lover of Eos, goddess of the Dawn, who begged Zeus to make Tithonus immortal. Done—but she forgot to ask for eternal youth as well. (The seeress Sibyl made the same mistake, btw.)

Sure, you may end up as a dried-up squeaking withered bag of bones. But alive forever.

Forest%20fairy%20-%20copy
joined Nov 30, 2017

I completely forgot that myth. That's far worse than my scenario.

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

I don't fully understand how this curse works, doesn't it have to correlate to both the girls. Why only one gets to live the eternal curse and the other dies. Doesn't a pair have to be cursed and doomed to repeat it. Doesn't feel like the witch even tried to make the curse related to their wish?
Okay after reading the comments it does make more sense now but only sort of.

last edited at Mar 2, 2022 7:51PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.