Forum › Gaze discussion

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

This seems like a one-shot so far, but I kind of hope there's at least one more bit of a continuation. They really do seem like they have a chance with each other, and that they have lots of things they could teach each other too.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

So, complex characters, atmospheric visual style, and open-ended or ambiguous plots. Not always what I’m looking for, but a very specific and distinctive flavor.

(And not in this particular story, but, in keeping with the author’s name, the glasses girl who is also a seductive hottie.)

As far as I am concerned, all good stuff! d^_^b

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Why isn't this blue? o.o
huehuehue
huehuehue

joined Jun 12, 2015

^I don't know. Kindle/pdf version is black&white.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 12:19PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

^That's sad, I really liked this chapter in blue :(

joined Aug 22, 2016

So blonde girl agreed with black hair girl about it being strange to date girls.

I took the situation as Miyu (Black haired girl) questioning Ao (Blond haired girl) to get an understanding of her motivations. Passive aggressive yet innocent enough in the moment, the issue began when Ao's reply was interrupted by apparent friends of hers, and that even with this interruption, Miyu still expected an honest answer. Even a hetero couple would feel awkward and likely not give an honest answer in that moment, so a subtle irony in this scene is that it ends with having less to do with homosexuality and more to do to with romance in general.

To me, Miyu comes across as a person that has very high expectations of others and then cries foul when those high expectations are not immediately met. Ao certainly could have said something different, but I feel that Miyu would find fault in anything other than essentially a public confession. Even if Ao said "Let's talk about this later", I believe Miyu's response would be negative.

After this, Miyu begins the process of self-victimization by unfairly blaming others and lashing out. The author appears to make an attempt at balancing out Miyu's behavior with a bullying scene, but I think that only victimizes Miyu more because there's no precedence; Ao says "There's never been that kind of mess in our class. Are you done already?". The scene comes across as this forced attempt to create sympathy by distracting the reader from Miyu's behavior. Yes, she was hurt and as an audience we should respect that, but don't force our emotions. Let us see and experience the characters for who they are and why they are. I can only appreciate this scene because it helps fortify Ao's ability to stand up for others, but not for herself.

All said, Ao is also harming herself by taking on all the blame, and her personality is so meek with herself that while she can stand up for others, I don't think she can stand up for herself. It's a sort of self-sacrifice for all the wrong reasons and that likely only fuels the rumor of her being a suck up. Someone that doesn't speak up for themselves and seemingly just smiles along with the whims of others will appear that way, right or wrong, to others.

Sadly, for both of them and for the audience, the story ends in a situation where Ao is just enabling Miyu. I think the only silver linings are that Ao recognizes that Miyu is only expressing her pain while Miyu herself understands what she's doing. Miyu also knows Ao's answer from before wasn't genuine, so there is room for discussion.

Whether or not that discussion will be constructive and healthy is another question. Ao will need to stop being so hard on herself and to stand up for herself a bit, while Miyu will have to lower her exceedingly high expectations. It is good that Ao is patient, but in way for the wrong reasons.

To me, this is a sad story where a romantic ending isn't the focus, so in that light, the ending isn't vague. The clear ending I see is that both Ao and Miyu will have to come to terms with themselves before they can even attempt to reconcile with each other, let alone start a healthy romantic relationship. The vagueness is if they'll be able to do so.

This is one of those stories where I feel the best ending is where the characters don't end up together, but learn important lessons instead.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 1:26PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's like, bam, a flash in the pan of Tsubomi.

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

I think the point here is that Miyu is a scared and withdrawn girl with strong defense mechanisms. She can't believe that Ao would like her, and she's afraid of being hurt, so she reacts defensively by impulse. The way she acts when confronted by the other girls really tells you everything you need to know about her. She's terrified but she also refuses to back down, and seems incapable of taking the easy way out. In some ways, she reminds me of me when I was in high school, when I thought any display of vulnerability would lead to betrayal and mockery.

However, Ao is clever and realizes that Miyu isn't truly rejecting her but is merely afraid. She realizes that her flippant attitude is part of the problem and resolves to gradually win Miyu over through displays of sincerity.

It's exactly like this, for everyone who is confused.

• Miyu was blushing when she walked away from Ao. (To support what OP mentioned)
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Too many untold things.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This kinda needs a sequel, as it didn't resolve anything.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

This kinda needs a sequel, as it didn't resolve anything.

I think it ends on a decidedly hopeful note. Both of them have resolved to change, in their own ways, and as a result are building up some degree of trust and mutual acceptance.

joined Jan 6, 2014

i kinda relate to this a lot, from the style of writing, mood, circumstances, and characters... reminds me a lot of my high school years, sigh

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yay, more Ootomo Megane!

This couple looks so much like Motoko & Keiko that is feels like I'm reading a prequel.

Isn't this the same Miyu from the third chapter there? So either Miyu and Aya break up, or Miyu and Ao never get together, depending on which one of these is chronologically first. (Or Miyu's actually a secret player)

(Oh, or maybe the "Too late" is because she's already got herself another girlfriend.)

last edited at Oct 17, 2018 8:13AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yay, more Ootomo Megane!

This couple looks so much like Motoko & Keiko that is feels like I'm reading a prequel.

Isn't this the same Miyu from the third chapter there? So either Miyu and Aya break up, or Miyu and Ao never get together, depending on which one of these is chronologically first. (Or Miyu's actually a secret player)

(Oh, or maybe the "Too late" is because she's already got herself another girlfriend.)

With this author I have enough trouble keeping track of which character is which within an individual story and across connected stories in individual collections, let alone across all the different series. (A trait she has in common with another of my top-tier yuri mangaka, Takemiya Jin. Love them both, but sometimes my head hurts.)

Both of them could use one of Lyendith's superb organizational/character relationship charts.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

So blonde girl agreed with black hair girl about it being strange to date girls and black hair girl took blonde hair girl seriously and figured blonde hair was toying with her.

But blonde hair said it because she thought she was being too pushy and wanted to give black hair a way out.

Now blonde hair has to figure out a way to get black hair to trust her again

No, glasses girl asked if it was strange to date girls and right in the middle of their conversation, some other girls got into the library and due to the suck up nature of the blonde girl, she responded on a dismissive manner when the other girls acknowledge their presence.

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

it didn't resolve anything.

That's the life motto of adolescence.
That's why I liked it in the first place.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Yay, more Ootomo Megane!

She looks similar, but acts completely different. Plus she has a different name. In Gaze the girl is Hiraga Miyu, in The Two of Us the girl is is Okazaki Miyu (in Japanese even the first names are different—in Gaze it's spelled みゆ and in The Two of Us it's spelled 美夕). Also, in The Two of Us, there's a strong impression that Aya has been sticking to Miyu for a long time, whereas there's no sign of her in Gaze. Plus the two Miyus go to different schools, as you can see from their uniforms.

I think the author just reused a given name and basic character design (Ootomo Megane's characters tend to all look alike anyways), but they definitely aren't the same person.

last edited at Oct 20, 2018 11:59PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yay, more Ootomo Megane!

With this author I have enough trouble keeping track of which character is which within an individual story and across connected stories in individual collections, let alone across all the different series. (A trait she has in common with another of my top-tier yuri mangaka, Takemiya Jin. Love them both, but sometimes my head hurts.)

Both of them could use one of Lyendith's superb organizational/character relationship charts.

Actually, with Takemiya Jin, they almost always -are- the same character if they have the same name. She loves her coupling crossovers.

To reply you must either login or sign up.