Forum › Scanlator Recruiting & Project Discussion

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

If anyone's in need of an editor, I'll offer my services for cleaning and typesetting :)

I just did Tora ni Tsubasa ch3.5 and ch4 for YuriProject (here and here), you can check them to see if I'm qualified.

Also if you know of any abandoned projects with available raws and translation, I'll be glad to pick them up <3

My contact info:
[removed]

last edited at Dec 29, 2019 6:18PM

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

If anyone's in need of an editor, I'll offer my services for cleaning and typesetting :)

I just did Tora ni Tsubasa ch3.5 and ch4 for YuriProject (here and here), you can check them to see if I'm qualified.

Also if you know of any abandoned projects with available raws and translation, I'll be glad to pick them up <3

My contact info:
[removed]

I have a few that aren't being worked on if you wanna help.

Sure :D

last edited at Dec 29, 2019 6:18PM

Okay, sent you a message on fb.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

If any scanlators need QC or proofreaders I would like to join one. I'm a uni student from the US and my English is pretty good. I prefer on working on SFW stuff.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I figured the people who know the answer would be here.

How exactly does the distribution of new scanlation chapters to the various websites/reader apps work?

First instance, I mostly read here for the series I'm most interested in, and use a more general manga iPad app for some stuff that isn't part of Dynasty's mandate.

A lot of things appear on both sites at roughly the same time, with only a few hours difference, and usually they're obviously the same scanlations.

But other times things will appear on the app for several days (or longer) before appearing here, or vice versa (the recent chapters of the Their Story webtoon have been like that). In other cases (like the recent Love Letter for the Marching Puppy) the two sites seem to have completely different translations for the same series.

I'm a comics researcher, so I'm just trying to inform myself about how the mechanics of this corner of the manga world work--i.e., how the projects actually get from the scanlation groups to the wider audience.

Thanks!

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Blastaar
I just submit releases to this site. Usually, someone rips them and they appear elsewhere. I can't say much for other sites, since I don't use or upload to them myself.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Scanlation groups tend to have one or more preferred reader websites/apps. Most groups will upload a file to their own website and also send an upload request to their service of choice, which for yuri groups is usually Dynasty.

Once a work has been submitted to a reader, other website/app managers will acquire the files from there and upload it into their own services. This is what MangaFox does.

MangaFox is kind of an arse really, because they do not respect scanlators at all. So, for example, a few scanlators request websites to wait some time before uploading their releases (like one or two days), because they want people to get the release from their website first. In the past we've seen MangaFox circumvent this by uploading stuff to MangaHere, one of their parallel services. Other times MangaFox simply doesn't care.

This is why sometimes you see messages like "Don't read this anywhere other than Batoto" show up in the middle of manga. Scanlators are used to their requests being ignored by reader websites. Also, we don't get any compensation for our work at all, nor does the original author, so it feels unfair that a website gets to profit over something you did for free.

last edited at Aug 3, 2018 10:25AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Blastaar
I just submit releases to this site. Usually, someone rips them and they appear elsewhere. I can't say much for other sites, since I don't use or upload to them myself.

Thanks!

Do you have any sense of how many additional places your releases will usually appear on over time?

I'm just trying to get a bit of a handle on how the system works.

@cecile
I've definitely gotten the sense that MangaFox has pissed off scanlators, for sure.

(I really wish I could teach my autocorrect that I don't mean "escalators.")

last edited at Aug 3, 2018 10:27AM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Blastaar
I honestly have no idea, but as I mentioned, I only ever upload here, so you can check yourself by seeing on how many sites anything released by my group (Kouyuri) is.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

what probably happens is the big aggregator sites have some bots or something that monitor sites for releases (readers/scanlator sites) and they rip new releases, slap a watermark on it, and release it on their website. there are probs also people that see new releases and upload them to those sites independently.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Oi, Blastaar, what kind of researcher? Undergrad? Grad? Post-doc? Journalist? Blogger? Corporate stooge? Freelancer? Poor bastard adjunct faculty? And hit me up on Discord.

On point, who here likes Tsubomi!? And, uh, might be interested in translating it?

last edited at Aug 25, 2018 11:52PM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Oi, Blastaar, what kind of researcher? Undergrad? Grad? Post-doc? Journalist? Blogger? Corporate stooge? Freelancer? Poor bastard adjunct faculty? And hit me up on Discord.

On point, who here likes Tsubomi!? And, uh, might be interested in translating it?

I've like what I've read from Tsubomi. What kind of works, and from which authors?

To Blastaar
How it works (as far as I can tell) is that someone uploads a group's releases somewhere—maybe here, maybe to their own manga reader, maybe to something like Mangadex—and then at some point other sites will use bots to rip the images. These other sites don't give a shit about permission (they're stealing from thieves after all, it's not like scanlation groups are going to sue—if they're worried about legal repercussions at all it's from the copyright holder, not the people who illegally translated it) and they download using fully-automated processes. For more trafficked manga readers, I think they will automatically download any newly uploaded comic within minutes. If your reader is hard to find, eventually one clever site will find it and download the comics, or some readers will upload the comic on a new site, and then the other sites will just take it from them.

These sites seem to frequently merge or change names, and new ones are constantly popping up while old ones get shut down. They're profiting from illegal translations after all, so it's an inherently unstable business. It's probably impossible to tell how many sites a given comic will appear on. I just googled "read Innocent Devil manga free" and on just the first page, over half the manga reader sites are ones I've never heard of before. The attitude among groups (just from groups that I've been a part of) towards these rip sites varies. Some think this is a good thing since it means more people will read their work. Others don't really care one way or the other. Others resent them for profiting from someone else's labor.

last edited at Aug 27, 2018 11:16PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I've like what I've read from Tsubomi. What kind of works, and from which authors?

All of it. All of Tsubomi. Everything currently not translated. Under the heading of a new scanlation group called The Macaron Press. The project is still forming, and we're still collecting all the raws. Many raws are old and may end up being re-scanned, but we'll see.

last edited at Aug 27, 2018 6:43PM

Images%20(1)
joined Aug 5, 2014

Are you able to pick out grammar mistakes? Are you able to change some dialogues to make the story flow better?

If you can, please contact me on one of the platforms:
- Discord: Dracofalco#0837
- Email: Dracofalco13@gmail.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/draco.dorako

I'm working on scanlating a CN webcomic. It's original is a digital release. Hopefully it can be uploaded onto dynasty as well. ^^

last edited at Aug 27, 2018 9:14PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To Blastaar
How it works (as far as I can tell) is that someone uploads a group's releases somewhere—maybe here, maybe to their own manga reader, maybe to something like Mangadex—and then at some point other sites will use bots to rip the images. These other sites don't give a shit about permission (they're stealing from thieves after all, it's not like scanlation groups are going to sue—if they're worried about legal repercussions at all it's from the copyright holder, not the people who illegally translated it) and they download using fully-automated processes. For more trafficked manga readers, I think they will automatically download any newly uploaded comic within minutes. If your reader is hard to find, eventually one clever site will find it and download the comics, or some readers will upload the comic on a new site, and then the other sites will just take it from them.
These sites seem to frequently merge or change names, and new ones are constantly popping up while old ones get shut down. They're profiting from illegal translations after all, so it's an inherently unstable business. It's probably impossible to tell how many sites a given comic will appear on. I just googled "read Innocent Devil manga free" and on just the first page, over half the manga reader sites are ones I've never heard of before. The attitude among groups (just from groups that I've been a part of) towards these rip sites varies. Some think this is a good thing since it means more people will read their work. Others don't really care one way or the other. Others resent them for profiting from someone else's labor.

Thanks! Having done some scanning of public-domain US comics that get posted on free online sites, I’ve seen those same scans included in DVD compilations for sale, and had to adjust my thinking—I scanned the comics (not all of them my own copies) in order to make them available, and if somebody wants to go to the trouble of compiling them and saving someone else the time and trouble of downloading them all one by one, well, there it is.

Of course, a scanlation takes orders of magnitude more skill and labor than a straight scan + edit for quality. I just try to purchase every official translation of things I read that I can—I assume most scanlators would prefer to have such translations, too, if they could get them.

@Altair:
I generally prefer to keep my online and professional identities basically separate. But I’m an academic, and I’ve specialized in comics (mostly US/European until the last 5 years or so) for my whole career. My question isn’t for any particular project—I just like to know what I’m talking about, when possible.

Discordavi
Dayer
joined Jun 26, 2018

Hey guys, I recently translated a Negom doujin by myself and was wondering if I would be allowed to upload it? I'm not a part of some scanlation group but wanted to upload it to Dynasty reader first. Is there an admin I can DM and discuss this with?

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Hey guys, I recently translated a Negom doujin by myself and was wondering if I would be allowed to upload it? I'm not a part of some scanlation group but wanted to upload it to Dynasty reader first. Is there an admin I can DM and discuss this with?

Send an upload request using the Upload Request https://dynasty-scans.com/requests and I'll have a look tomorrow to see if it's ok.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I've seen your submission request, and the doujin should be fine to upload if it's of good quality. When you've finished it, send a upload request with a link to download the doujin, preferably Mega/Mediafire/Dropbox/Google Drive.

Discordavi
Dayer
joined Jun 26, 2018

How long does it normally take for an upload request to be approved/denied? I wanted to wait a few days before asking, but no direct feedback makes it a bit hard to tell.

Feather
joined Feb 4, 2017

Vacuum Scans, a resurgence of an old group, is working on Madoka Magica Magia Record manga. Looking for redrawers. Translation and typesetting finished, just need redrawers.

If interested, please message my discord at Exorcist Joker#6871. Thank you.

Emil%20head
joined Sep 5, 2018

So according to the topic of the discussion i can probably ask you when the next chapter of "kimi ga shinu made koi wo shitai" will come out ?

I saw that the chapter 2 is out so i hope he will it translate soon.

I will be happy if somone can answer me, also if i should ask this in an other discussion please told me.

Unnamed
joined Jan 15, 2018

Is there somewhere on the site for requests (would this be it)? There's an artist who has a series on Lezhin (the artist name is Sirius) who has other comics on their own website. However, those other comics are more like indie comics, and they are currently only available in Korean. Alas! I cannot read or speak Korean. Might there be a group here who can read Korean and be willing to translate Sirius' comics?

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

If someone would be interested, there is nice manga on pixiv :) https://www.pixiv.net/user/5235417/series/614?fbclid=IwAR01wWwGWYbmvgVVEEa0zVJOCaKtdmj6ZAAmFqGeHVRV9TM7S4MwJ-trQ1Y I don't think it was already translated in English

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alextasha posted:

If someone would be interested, there is nice manga on pixiv :) https://www.pixiv.net/user/5235417/series/614?fbclid=IwAR01wWwGWYbmvgVVEEa0zVJOCaKtdmj6ZAAmFqGeHVRV9TM7S4MwJ-trQ1Y I don't think it was already translated in English

Em?

Stan Miller Staff
Muppo%20and%20northern%20ocean%20hime%20(kantai%20collection%20and%20moomin)%20drawn%20by%20sazanami%20konami%20-%20f1a1a8ae888c4eff5aac0862c561be11
Cyan Steam (Stan Miller)
joined May 25, 2017

Our team is looking for redrawers and typesetters who are free enough to work on a variety of projects.
Send me a friend request on Discord Stan Miller#3598 or email me at gameroffear@gmail.com

You can view a list of our current projects here https://mangadex.org/group/35/cyan-steam/manga/ and here https://mangadex.org/group/299/croxx-over/manga/

To reply you must either login or sign up.