Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

OHHHH.

a loooot of things just fell into place. I don't know how anybody is gonna look at -this- chapter and say things aren't moving. Look, if you're in it to see them fuck, just go the hell away, this isn't for you. If you're here for the story, there were a lot of bombshells dropped in this episode. We just pretty much found out what's up with EVERYBODY's issues.

Kaoru's mom died, and Uta's mom, her doctor, who knew her personally, (old friends? Lovers? Next door neighbors? Who knows at this point,) apparently got blamed for it professionally, lost her license to practice medicine, and skipped the country for five years to start over abroad. Uta's parents split up over it, and Uta went to live with her dad, but couldn't deal with him (probably because he was reeling from the whole thing himself) and so she came to live with her brother and his wife. Reiichi married Kaoru because he feels like it's his duty to look after her after his mom was apparently responsible for Kaoru's mom passing, so he put aside his actual feelings for Risako, who now resents the whole situation.

Also it's now confirmed that yes, there was a confession. Honestly, coming back to this topic after so long, I was surprised to see there was so much contention on this. I guess it's because I had already made the assumption that if we came back to a jump forward instead of the cliffhanger scene itself, that meant Uta had confessed, but I thought the manga was pretty clear on that front. But now we know for sure. Uta confessed, Kaoru smiled and blew it off, and probably lapsed straight into denial the same way she did with Reiichi's cheating.

"Oh, she must mean that she loves me as a sister. I'm going to ignore that she was just telling me about her romantic love for a married person. I must be misunderstanding something. I wonder if she likes her teacher, or somebody from work? Or...Oh, fuck, who am I kidding. My husband is banging my best friend and my sister-in-law is in love with me. Oh, hi, mom-in-law that apparently killed my mother via medical malpractice. Good timing."

Yup. Still getting my head around all this info, though. First, I haven't re-read this all in a while--did we have any previous idea, hint, or clue that the mom was a medical doctor and had anything to do with Kaoru's family except knowing them?

If the answer is no, it's easy for me to imagine that we could have had a story where we were given much more substantial hints about the basic situation all along, (thus explaining why these people were thrashing around like this), and still had a significant revelation scene when the mom actually made her appearance.

In short: a lot of things make a whole lot more sense now; did they really need to not make total sense for as long as they did?

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

OHHHH.

a loooot of things just fell into place. I don't know how anybody is gonna look at -this- chapter and say things aren't moving. Look, if you're in it to see them fuck, just go the hell away, this isn't for you. If you're here for the story, there were a lot of bombshells dropped in this episode. We just pretty much found out what's up with EVERYBODY's issues.

Kaoru's mom died, and Uta's mom, her doctor, who knew her personally, (old friends? Lovers? Next door neighbors? Who knows at this point,) apparently got blamed for it professionally, lost her license to practice medicine, and skipped the country for five years to start over abroad. Uta's parents split up over it, and Uta went to live with her dad, but couldn't deal with him (probably because he was reeling from the whole thing himself) and so she came to live with her brother and his wife. Reiichi married Kaoru because he feels like it's his duty to look after her after his mom was apparently responsible for Kaoru's mom passing, so he put aside his actual feelings for Risako, who now resents the whole situation.

Also it's now confirmed that yes, there was a confession. Honestly, coming back to this topic after so long, I was surprised to see there was so much contention on this. I guess it's because I had already made the assumption that if we came back to a jump forward instead of the cliffhanger scene itself, that meant Uta had confessed, but I thought the manga was pretty clear on that front. But now we know for sure. Uta confessed, Kaoru smiled and blew it off, and probably lapsed straight into denial the same way she did with Reiichi's cheating.

"Oh, she must mean that she loves me as a sister. I'm going to ignore that she was just telling me about her romantic love for a married person. I must be misunderstanding something. I wonder if she likes her teacher, or somebody from work? Or...Oh, fuck, who am I kidding. My husband is banging my best friend and my sister-in-law is in love with me. Oh, hi, mom-in-law that apparently killed my mother via medical malpractice. Good timing."

The mother's line about Uta stabbing her in the back a few times was also interesting. It seems like there's more to that then we've seen.

joined Sep 17, 2017

I feel like my biggest problem is this is just going to drag on. I mean, the whole cheating thing and her getting injured was chapter 10. We've gone more than an entire volume with her just doing her best to ignore that, and nothing more being learned about it. Instead we got new conflict of the confession which again was largely ignored and not really confronted or dealt with. And now we're getting the mother and some reveals with the past that's been vaguely referenced before, but what's really going to happen with that? I'll bet on a whole bunch of nothing all over again.

This is like the Lost of yuri manga. Just instead of jumping from one mystery that never gets resolved to the next, it jumps from a bunch of drama that never actually gets dealt with to the next.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Fucking finally, we learned something about past. I would care, if I didn't lost interest ages ago. I only read it, because I heard how much of a bitch mother is, and wow she is a big one. That being said, it is such cliche drama, it is getting boring. Parent goes to do w/e ignores family and then comes back as if nothing happened and inserts itself in mc's life. That is such typical way to write a bad parent and create sudden heavy drama. At least I have to give her credit, instead of being like "I have changed! I want to be be good parent now. It will be different! Believe me!" she doesn't give two fucks and still doesn't care about family at all. She is again doing it for her own selfish reasons and not care about what Uta has to say. And about her "child is parent's property" that is such bs thinking. Children don't choose to be born, it is you who make them and take responsibility of rising them. You can't expect anything in return, so guilt tripping them with "you have nothing without me" is such terrible thing to do.

last edited at Aug 28, 2018 10:36AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also it's now confirmed that yes, there was a confession.

I hate to be that person by... we still have no fucking confirmation on that >.>

It's the opening pages:

"I told her my feelings, but I wasn't ready for what would happen."

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch17#2

That's a replay of the confession scene. (Again, why we couldn't know that before this I do not know.)

[commie]%20go!%20princess%20precure%20-%2013%20[51546f94].mkv_snapshot_09.42_[2016.12.19_12.33.57]
joined Dec 10, 2014

Kaoru's family comment in the latest chapter crushed my fuckin' heart

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This story is so good but so sad. :'(
I'm honestly rooting for Uta's crush on Kaoru no matter what.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

A side comment on something that was brought up earlier, but I always thought "Kuro" had an odd name. Like that isn't a japanese person's name, it isn't a common name in many countries. In fact, it's literally the kind of thing you'd name a dog. After seeing it pointed out that the katakane is クロエ, I am pretty certain her name is "Chloe". So probably not much of a parallel between her name and Kaoru.

As for earlier questions as to why the side relationship between Kuro and Miyabi was brought up, if it was me writing it, I'd guess it was probably to head off speculation that Uta will rebound to Kuro?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Also, if I recall correctly, the title of this manga is actually "My love that won't reach", and in that respect, one could suppose it is actually referring to most if not all of the characters in the manga. Virtually everyone in here has some feeling of love that is either rebuffed, unrequited, forbidden, or half requited.

I don't know if the author is going for tragedy, though, or if they're just putting the happy ending on the far side of a lot of drama, but either way, I mean, one of those two is clearly what the author appears to be going for with this, so...YMMV? I'm honestly enjoying trying to get into the heads of the characters, personally.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(responding to a bunch of stuff in one post)

The mother's line about Uta stabbing her in the back a few times was also interesting. It seems like there's more to that then we've seen.

I don't know that there's much -there- there. I mean, we know Uta chose to live with her dad rather than her mom after the split, then when she couldn't deal with her dad, she chose to go live with Kaoru and Reiichi. That -could- be the sum of it, and I think it probably is, although it's also possible she sided against her in the whole Kaoru's mom debacle, whatever happened with that, but if that were the case, is it likely she'd be trying to mend fences right now?

I feel like my biggest problem is this is just going to drag on. I mean, the whole cheating thing and her getting injured was chapter 10. We've gone more than an entire volume with her just doing her best to ignore that, and nothing more being learned about it. Instead we got new conflict of the confession which again was largely ignored and not really confronted or dealt with. And now we're getting the mother and some reveals with the past that's been vaguely referenced before, but what's really going to happen with that? I'll bet on a whole bunch of nothing all over again.

This is like the Lost of yuri manga. Just instead of jumping from one mystery that never gets resolved to the next, it jumps from a bunch of drama that never actually gets dealt with to the next.

We just resolved a BUNCH of mysteries, though. And I honestly don't feel like there was much mystery. Reiichi is CLEARLY having an affair with Risako. Now we have a pretty good idea of why. She hasn't dealt with it, sure, but she got hit with another bombshell before she had a chance for a second go at confronting Reiichi about it, and honestly it's not that odd for someone to avoid bringing up something like this. I expect it will explode again the next time Rei does something suspicious or neglectful.

Also the confession didn't get ignored. It was a major part of the subtext of the last couple chapters.

Yup. Still getting my head around all this info, though. First, I haven't re-read this all in a while--did we have any previous idea, hint, or clue that the mom was a medical doctor and had anything to do with Kaoru's family except knowing them?

We knew Kaoru's mom had passed, and we knew that someone in Reiichi's family had done something Rei and Uta had felt guilty about. I was assuming that there was an affair involved, (putting Reiichi in a cycle of taking after an unfaithful parent) We knew Uta hated both her parents, but not really why. The subtext was also that Rei married Kaoru out of guilt motivated by whatever happened.

If the answer is no, it's easy for me to imagine that we could have had a story where we were given much more substantial hints about the basic situation all along, (thus explaining why these people were thrashing around like this), and still had a significant revelation scene when the mom actually made her appearance.

In short: a lot of things make a whole lot more sense now; did they really need to not make total sense for as long as they did?

I didn't feel like they "didn't make total sense". It was clear there was something there, we just didn't know what it was yet. There are a lot of subtle clues that are much clearer now.

This is similar in many ways to how when it was revealed that Rei was cheating with Risako, a bunch of subtle little things from their earlier appearances and behaviors suddenly had a new context that seemed obvious in retrospect.

last edited at Aug 27, 2018 5:20PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Holy shit Mom you suck. And going by how... tense Reiichi got when their dad got brought up odds are he's not particularly better.

No wonder Uta is a bundle of insecurities.

Tumblr_naq5w3cgrf1sbltxmo1_500
joined Jun 27, 2016

Poor girl her life right now sucks butt

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Damn her mom hates her, wtf is up with that?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I didn't feel like they "didn't make total sense". It was clear there was something there, we just didn't know what it was yet.

Um, H, I think you just said the same thing I did, only in different words. :-)

We lacked information, and that lack of information made the reasons for the characters’ behaviors and attitudes obscure—but only to us, not to each other. The characters themselves knew everything all along, and they had no particular reason to keep the basic facts secret or (most importantly to the storytelling) to never even think about those facts to themselves, even though we see Kaoru and (especially) Uta think about things all the time.

Again, as I’ve been saying all along, it’s perfectly fine for authors to withhold information from readers in order to achieve a variety of possible effects (create an atmosphere of mystery, or suspense, etc.). I just don’t see what was accomplished here except to make us wonder what the hell the deal was with these people and have us be relieved when we finally found out.

last edited at Aug 27, 2018 9:39PM

joined Sep 25, 2015

She should suck up her pride and just live with Kuro and her wife. At least temporarily.
We all know this story wont end well for her.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

Also it's now confirmed that yes, there was a confession.

I hate to be that person by... we still have no fucking confirmation on that >.>

It's the opening pages:

"I told her my feelings, but I wasn't ready for what would happen."

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch17#2

That's a replay of the confession scene. (Again, why we couldn't know that before this I do not know.)

Because drama, cliffhangers and forcing readers to stick to know what happened/what will happen. Welp I guess I skipped those to get faster into chapter. My bad I suppose. Still at least I was right before, so that is something I guess.

EDIT/ Yea that is the only page I skipped, cos I thought it was just some pointless narration. Just tells you about quality of writing, when the most important event in entire series is dropped just like that as if it was nothing.

last edited at Aug 27, 2018 10:43PM

Bun
joined Jul 5, 2018

i dont know why im still reading this, its killing me

Diesirae
joined Jul 22, 2018

With how things are going for Uta at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if the story goes the route of her having a one-night stand with Konatsu. That's what usually happens in these kinds of scenarios. The MC ends up temporarily hooking up with a promiscuous acquaintance.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

thanks cloud, me too.

joined Apr 12, 2015

thanks cloud, me too.

...same

Icon
joined Mar 14, 2015

I love this community -v-
Here's my take on this angst fest (that's doing a great job keeping me engaged just to know how everything ends)
I pretty much agree with Heavensrun explanation of stuff btw... Just that I agree Uta may not have confesed "directly" I'm guessing she kinda expected her explanation to Kaoru to sink in after looking at her in the eye and dropping her "Onne-chan" and calling her back by her name for that specific scene... not only that but she calls her "Kaoru-san" which emphasizes how serious she was. Then she got crushed when it sinked in that Kaoru "not taking notice" of her feelings again and brushing them aside is an act (which by now we know is an act from really early since she knows Uta kissed her -hence her touching her lip when touching the couch where it happened).
and Suigetsu... I'm kinda seeing it too... I'm hoping it's that and not asking her to introduce her to a guy... Actually I think we've yet to see deep into Konatsu... so...

I'll be looking mainly forward tho...
I'll be blunt... I BELIEVE KAORU IS ILL... probably from her mother's decease which the more I think about it... it must be degenerative (I'm guessing she requested to use some experimental drug that was suministred by Uta's mom and that killed her). It's hinted earlier on when she's falling on Reichii -brushed by being exhaustion from her handcrafts work- and then her main fall... no matter how shocking it was or how clumsy she may be, that fall was not normal...
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if she knew... if Reichii knew and that's why he acceded to marry her even tho he clearly has a thing with Risako.

Now that mom is just... mean... LAST TIME SHE SAW UTA THE GIRL WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! How can she throw garbage at her when she was at most 11 when she left...
HOW CAN AN 11 YEAR OLD STAB YOU?! By choosing her dad over her moving abroad mom?

Now... Uta is definitely leaving Kaoru and Reichii and once she's gone they'll sort their issues... since Kaoru's anchor is clearly Uta, not Reichii, but she won't be able to admit it until she's lonely despite being with her husband (they are likely to end things peacefully).

As for the endgame... I'm guessing Uta will win Kaoru over when she's an adult wearing the prominent necklace she was given... that or she'll wear it when visitting Kaoru's tomb.. (If I'm correct with the illness shot)... Worst case scenario we're left with a new love...

joined Apr 12, 2015

I recommend reading Ani no Yome to Kurashite Imasu, a looooooot better, similar theme but slice of life, not yuri or het yet (maybe never) and the husband died.

You had me at the "husband died" brb reading that now

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I recommend reading Ani no Yome to Kurashite Imasu, a looooooot better, similar theme but slice of life, not yuri or het yet (maybe never) and the husband died.

You had me at the "husband died" brb reading that now

I'll read it too, just not now. I'm trying to catch up with Shinmai Shimai first. xD

Img_20191208_235120
joined Nov 14, 2015

Imagine what will happen if double-standard mother finds out that her daughter is gay.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Ughhhhh why do we need this uneccesary mother drama and now weird backstory I accidentally killed Karaou's mother drama jfc. And then let's pile on uta's mum and dad's potential divorce, let's also blame uta for random things and say she's stabbed me in the back, it's just baseless drama that isn't needed

We already HAVE enough tension from the clearly unresolved confession, as well as that punch at the end of the chapter "i see you as family" (aka please give up on me) and to have that with karou idk feeling conflicted with her feelings later on would be great

Drama about the step-mom/mother is so full, she is just there to stir shit up and bring conflict when we don't neeeeed any, but lol any easy way to bring uta some more anggggst right

To reply you must either login or sign up.