Forum › Fukakai na Boku no Subete o discussion

This is my take on the characters so far;
Mogumo - Non-binary, agender. The fact that they present as female is a source of confusion as most enbies I've met prefer to look as androgynous as possible but it's definitely not unheard of for non-binary people to have male and female preferences depending on the situation (clothing, pronouns, body image)
Mei - Transgender. Born a boy but wishes she was born a girl, fairly obvious. Although, she accepts the label of girlyboy as a way to fit in.
MC's brother - Transgender. Although we don't know that much about this character at this point, and they keep getting referred to as "brother". Need more data.
Suzu - A boy who enjoys crossdressing. Nothing wrong with that! He even uses "Ore" to refer to himself.
Ten-chan - Ten-chan is Ten-chan.

Overall, I'm really liking this!

This helps a lot in understanding the other characters because I didn't see where they stood on the spectrum.

Hey this is calling itself a sequel, please could someone make obvious where to find implied predecessor. thanks :)

edit: nevermind its like the only thing the author has on this site. still would like someone to pin it in the comments (thats where i look for sequel directions)

kimi Dake no Ponytail series is basically the reason for the sequel tag and it's based on Suzu life:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_dake_no_ponytail
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_dake_no_ponytail_2
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_dake_no_ponytail_3

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Something about this manga doesn't work for me. Maybe it's cutesy-shota-design that just basically says "yeah sure you can be into these things but only if you look like it anyway". Maybe it's the dull guy between the more "wacky" characters. Maybe it's because I'm thinking about those "girlyboy" visual novels where they are basically seen as a separate gender altogether and now having similar characters come up in something that tries to ... possibly ... educate about gender spectrum is odd ... I don't know.

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

This has some promise. One to add to the watch list

joined Jan 14, 2015

I use it more derogatorily then gay nowadays.

Usually my go to is if someone puts "a" in front of their descriptor it comes off as more an insult.

Someone might identify as gay or queer but having someone asking if they're "a gay" or "a queer" comes off as more accusatory as if that's a bad thing to be.

joined Oct 3, 2016

Huh. I didn't think I'd see a manga and a feminine genderfluid person like me. This is nice

Cnwdrjjvmail6tq
joined Jun 30, 2017

Well I don't like this manga but at same time I want to read more of it.
lol?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Using the word "homo" is considered offensive? English isn't my first language and I just see everybody using "gay" moust of the time, so if someone can confirm to me if what Mei said is true or if is just a localization thing I would be thankful.

I'll give you the breakdown from my perspective: Where I live, (center of the American midwest) "Homo" is pretty exclusively used as a derogatory slur. "Gay" is pretty much correct/neutral, but it's all in the tone of voice and the context. "Homosexual" is clinical and is rarely ill-intended. Most bigots don't resonate well with multisyllabic words. "Queer" largely depends on who is saying it and in what context. It used to be a slur, but it's been more or less reclaimed by the LGBT community. I sometimes joke that "Hey, that's our word.", but really as long as it isn't being used in an offensive context, I don't think it's particularly bad. It should be pretty obvious from context that the various "F"-words are always NOT COOL.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I'm liking this

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Using the word "homo" is considered offensive? English isn't my first language and I just see everybody using "gay" moust of the time, so if someone can confirm to me if what Mei said is true or if is just a localization thing I would be thankful.

I'll give you the breakdown from my perspective: Where I live, (center of the American midwest) "Homo" is pretty exclusively used as a derogatory slur. "Gay" is pretty much correct/neutral, but it's all in the tone of voice and the context. "Homosexual" is clinical and is rarely ill-intended. Most bigots don't resonate well with multisyllabic words. "Queer" largely depends on who is saying it and in what context. It used to be a slur, but it's been more or less reclaimed by the LGBT community. I sometimes joke that "Hey, that's our word.", but really as long as it isn't being used in an offensive context, I don't think it's particularly bad. It should be pretty obvious from context that the various "F"-words are always NOT COOL.

One of them there boy fondlers.

joined Dec 28, 2016

I'm not into trap thing since I prefer Yuri but this kinda cute ahaha , but my question is since Mogu gender is M.F does that mean mogu can choose what he/she wants down there if bird or cat(if you know what I mean) ahahaha ,like the guy in UQ holder.

Not sure if someone else answered it, but that's the space where you circle Male or Female on the employment application. Mogu circled neither.

joined Dec 28, 2016

More context. In the raw what was used is ホモ which is literally "homo" exact transliteration. In Japan ホモ is pretty exclusively negative, more so than even the english word "Homo".

joined Dec 28, 2016

Suzu - A boy who enjoys crossdressing. Nothing wrong with that! He even uses "Ore" to refer to himself.

Suzu is gay as well, you missed that.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ergzay posted:

I'm not into trap thing since I prefer Yuri but this kinda cute ahaha , but my question is since Mogu gender is M.F does that mean mogu can choose what he/she wants down there if bird or cat(if you know what I mean) ahahaha ,like the guy in UQ holder.

Not sure if someone else answered it, but that's the space where you circle Male or Female on the employment application. Mogu circled neither.

Right. That make more sense. I thought they wrote M/F to avoid picking one, but instead it was already written there and sister thought Mogu forgot to fill it.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Suzu is gay as well, you missed that.

Suzu has a boyfriend, it’s never stated that he is gay. In the first three books it’s sort of a point that that doesn’t matter.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

ergzay posted:

Right. That make more sense. I thought they wrote M/F to avoid picking one, but instead it was already written there and sister thought Mogu forgot to fill it.

Did they -write- M/F, or was it one of those applications that expects you to circle one?

I ask because it seems a bit weird that they'd put both when identifying as neither. When I read it, I thought it was one where it shows M/F and expects you to circle one, hence the "oversight" was the decision to not circle one.

last edited at Aug 24, 2018 11:12PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Did they -write- M/F, or was it one of those applications that expects you to circle one?

The answer is right in your quote...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

Wow, and you accused me of not reading with comprehension.

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

Well I don't like this manga but at same time I want to read more of it.
lol?

It means you're open to new things you don't fully understand yet.
That's a good quality to have as a person.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Heavensrun posted:

Wow, and you accused me of not reading with comprehension.

I asked you to read what I was actually saying because I felt like you weren't paying attention to my arguments.

But you're totally right, I -completely- misread this whole conversation and I'm not actually sure how, looking at it in retrospect.

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

Why is everyone raving about transgender and being a progressive or whatever about genderfluids and whatsoever?
This is just your average trap stuff, draw a girl with a dick and call it a boy, all of this author's work even have the generic MC male dude with no personality.
Maybe if he had put atleast a effort in making the "agender" people have any kind of boyish characteristics in their body, but nope, they're completely different beings to the other boys.
There's nothing new or exciting about this, it's just the average trap lover that wants to fuck traps.

Oh! And they're all into guys, because that's clearly not just this author's fetish.

last edited at Sep 11, 2018 1:32PM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

It's pleasantly surprising to see something so progressive from a Japanese author.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Why is everyone raving about transgender and being a progressive or whatever about genderfluids and whatsoever?
This is just your average trap stuff, draw a girl with a dick and call it a boy, all of this author's work even have the generic MC male dude with no personality.
Maybe if he had put atleast a effort in making the "agender" people have any kind of boyish characteristics in their body, but nope, they're completely different beings to the other boys.
There's nothing new or exciting about this, it's just the average trap lover that wants to fuck traps.

Oh! And they're all into guys, because that's clearly not just this author's fetish.

Manga characters all being generically cute regardless of their gender is a universal thing (some would say problem) that we're all already aware of. When you look inside the speech bubbles this is a story with a positive message about gender and identity.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

The burly bearmen like Kenshiro look like little girls, and Tomoko is supposed to be an ugly mojo. Manga character designs remain as representative of real people as the lower house under Abe.

last edited at Sep 11, 2018 5:41PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Is the topic of girlyboys (aka otokonoko) in fashion in Japan at the moment?

The way I see it, the school they attend specifically allows boys and girls to dress with either uniform. Hence, why Mogumo moved to be closer from this school.

We still haven't seen the helper of Mogumo (which may be a girl, a boy, or an otokonoko or whatever).

Anyway, I just can't feel the hype reading this. It's just like Prunus Girl with more questions about gender identity. And less lesbians. And more pseudo drama.

He doesn't want to be either a girl or a boy. But then he's shown as a 100% (flat) cute girl, because "he likes cute clothes". At this point, what makes him NOT a girl externally? How are people supposed to guess that he doesn't want to be considered a girl?

It's like the author makes the whole cast of "girlyboys" really easy to trigger, while the main male lead seem to be the reasonable one (and the bro, but he's a grown up).

This manga is actually everything that is wrong about how gender is perceived in Japan or elsewhere. Everyone is cute and look just like a girl, but by the fiat of the theme, they are actually "boys" (at least genetically).

And the male MC is just some self-insert placeholder with no personality to speak of. The "generic nice guy", like the MC in Prunus Girl, which will eventually fall for the ambiguously gendered character.

About gender identity, Hourou Musuko is a lot more inclusive and well done.

To reply you must either login or sign up.