Forum › I decided to fake a marriage with my junior (♀️) to shut my parents up discussion

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I liked a few of this mangaka's short stories. Some didn't care for the characters and I could see where they seemed like they might slip right into the unlikable category but they still appealed to me for what little we saw of them.

Never tried that NTR one since I try not to touch things with tags denoting stuff I probably won't enjoy.

This one seems interesting.

I still think there is a chance the parents come around. Can't always work out but it sure is sweet when it does.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It's not just places like Shibuya. In fact there are more people in either Sapporo or Fukuoka than in all of the rest of the places with civil unions/certificates COMBINED. Sapporo, on Hokkaido is 2M and Fukuoka on Kyushu Island is 2.5M if you count metro area.

Icon3
joined Dec 17, 2017

I really disagree with this. It felt more like Hana steamrolled into Machi's life like this. Hana might be the one foolishly building this fantasy and just dragging Machi along with her during a time when Machi is dealing with something big. The whole premise of Hana makes me feel like she's someone who's taking advantage of the situation. I know it's hard to see a lesbian not get her happy ending, but putting all the blame on Machi isn't really fair.

I feel exactly the same way. Hana expecting something from this when she pushed someone that clearly can be pushed this way is really unfair.

Talk to her properly, don't do it like this, girl. You can get a girlfriend, just don't be so friggin pushy.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

This kinda hits a bit close to home.

My parents weren't as extreme as Machi's are (although there are actually some who are like that) but there was always that extreme pressure to be the best at anything. And even when you're the best in your class, they'll find someone to compare you. That line about not getting the 10 points so you'd have a perfect score? Heard it a million times. It's exhausting and it builds up within you because they're your parents and you can't lash out.

So when adulthood comes, there's your chance at freedom.

I don't get it. If Machi wanted her parents to back off, so much that she would risk alienating them, why wouldn't she just tell them back the foxtrot-uniform-charlie-kilo off?

Oh you sweet summer child. I'm sure that was what Machi originally wanted, but that's just not as easy for those living in Asian countries. You don't actually get to be free when you're 18. They're your family and they will always poke their noses in your business, especially about marriage. And the culture is going to lynch you if you abandon them.

Even though Machi said she doesn't want to be bothered, it's not really something you can just shake off one day miraculously. It's the pressure. The expectations. The hellish idea that someone is trying to control your life (or not, I may just be projecting here). Anyway, that was the vibe I got from Machi's nightmare. Does Hana also have these expectations from her? Where is it going to lead? What's going to happen when she can't give those things to her? Is she going to be indebted to Hana because she might save her from her family?

I started to dislike Machi, when I found out, she already shot poor Hana down. It's just cruel to put Hana in that situation. Even if it was Hana's idea. Hana is obviously hoping something is going to happen, and her heart will be broken all over again when it doesn't.

I really disagree with this. It felt more like Hana steamrolled into Machi's life like this. Hana might be the one foolishly building this fantasy and just dragging Machi along with her during a time when Machi is dealing with something big. The whole premise of Hana makes me feel like she's someone who's taking advantage of the situation. I know it's hard to see a lesbian not get her happy ending, but putting all the blame on Machi isn't really fair.

WELL. That's gotta be my longest Dynasty post though I'm not surprised it was this artist that brought it out in me.

Yeah I have to say I totally agree with you, Hana is the one who's being kind of inconsiderate, though I hope Hana's pushy nature will push through and it'll all turn out A-Okay

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Definitely. Hana saw Machi had a problem, and took advantage of the situation. Machi just went with it and allowed Hana to do what she wanted, but Hana obviously was the one initiating this scenario (she even gave Machi a little script to read for when they confronted her parents).

I expect it'll turn out that Machi really appreciates Hana, and learns to love her, but at this point Hana is obviously taking advantage of Machi's personal insecurities to get closer to her.

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Sep 10, 2017

Woah this is probably the most promising setting I have seen from Kodama so far (don't get me wrong, I am one of those who really enjoy reading her work). The characters seem more real this time (and yeah the Hotaru vibe is real, hell her name even starts with a H, but less intense, ), I wouldn't mind reading about their normal lives and how Hana gonna win over Machi-senpai's heart through top-notched cooking skills lol (pray that this time Kodama will stop throwing in unnecessary drama to torture these poor souls)

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

(pray that this time Kodama will stop throwing in unnecessary drama to torture these poor souls)

Might as well pray for the moon to crash in your backyard and turn out to be made entirely of delicious cheese.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

... to get closer to her.

I agree with everything except for this: I'd say her immediate goal was to get a place to stay. I mean, this will probably how it'll turn out but in chapter 1 I'd say she's just fooling around with no particular intent after getting her goal; or at least there isn't much of an indication that she has specific plans ^^

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Btw. am I actually the only one who was severely disappointed by Renai Manga? People make it as if it was some happy go lucky fluff manga because they ended up together. Half of it is them misunderstanding each other and angsting over it instead of communicating and trying to solve their problems. And when it was finally over manga just ended vaguely suggesting they will be together. I really do not understand why people keep praising it so much. It had tone of wasted potential. I thought the fact editor was the girl that mangaka helped to change will be brought much faster and used to give more confidence to her, but instead she just pushes her away thinking her influence on her life is bad and we are getting to square one till someone else helps her realize she made wrong decision at the very end (I might be a bit wrong about that bit). The fact they were more connected than they thought gets only brought up literally at the last page and that is the only reason we kinda sorta assumed they will get together. Manga doesn't even confirm it.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

The fact they were more connected than they thought gets only brought up literally at the last page and that is the only reason we kinda sorta assumed they will get together. Manga doesn't even confirm it.

Have you read the whole thing? It's obvious that they're together in the extra chapters. I'd definitely agree that Renai Manga isn't perfect. I assume people keep bringing it up because it's the most "normal" Kodama Naoko yuri story. I think Cocytus, A World Without Freedom, and Moratorium have their own charms, and might be better than Renai Manga. And NTR is fucking hilarious so it's alright.

I don't remember what series it was, but in one of her afterwards she wrote that she loves "syrupy" or "sticky" drama, and also that she's interested in stories where the boundary between friends and lovers is unclear. Personally, I really enjoy the internal monologues, and how characters are often compelled to act in a certain way even though they believe it's wrong. Renai Manga had these elements, but it was also a more conventional yuri story.

joined Oct 15, 2014

"Cocytus" strikes back again?

Wow now that u mentioned it...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

schuyguy posted:

The fact they were more connected than they thought gets only brought up literally at the last page and that is the only reason we kinda sorta assumed they will get together. Manga doesn't even confirm it.

Have you read the whole thing? It's obvious that they're together in the extra chapters. I'd definitely agree that Renai Manga isn't perfect. I assume people keep bringing it up because it's the most "normal" Kodama Naoko yuri story. I think Cocytus, A World Without Freedom, and Moratorium have their own charms, and might be better than Renai Manga. And NTR is fucking hilarious so it's alright.

I did, but I read it when extras wasn't out yet. Yea, I guess most normal fit, cos the drama just boils down to misunderstandings. Still while I did like how it started and I liked the premise, story very quickly delved into heavy drama and angst and we spend like 4 chapters of 6 chapters basically waiting for things to get solved and when they do, it ends. So it is very weird to me how people keep on saying how this manga is only happy etc. Kodama story when in fact, only happy thing happening is them getting together at the end.

By that logic people should love A World Without Freedom for example, because entire manga focus on drama and angst but at the end they end up together and are happy so it is fine, right?

BTW. I enjoyed Cocytus very much and didn't have the issues people have with it.

last edited at Apr 28, 2018 7:02AM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

You might right. I dunno, I found the ending of Renai Manga very emotionally impactful. I cried a little bit (well, maybe I cried a lot). I think the middle chapters contributed to the emotional impact, though I'm not quite sure how. Maybe I'm just a sucker for sappy drama. Though I do think Cocytus was a better story. Its impact felt more profound, somehow deeper, rather than the superficial emotional ending of Renai Manga.

last edited at Apr 28, 2018 7:13AM

joined Mar 2, 2014

When is the next chapter coming out? ^^

joined Mar 2, 2014

When is the next chapter coming out? ^^

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

schuyguy posted:

I found the ending of Renai Manga very emotionally impactful.

Don't get me wrong. Ending was satisfying. What bothered me most was that the entire central drama was revolving around misunderstandings and assumptions mangaka made which we as readers knew were wrong and would eventually get solved, but solving them took entire rest of the manga. There was promise of actually seeing real time changes in their relationship and natural development of how they become closer, which was suddenly traded for drama of them being separated and them becoming closer, alongside with implication that things will change in the future, was crammed into last few pages of the manga. That felt very disappointing to me, as I'm really starving for actual couple life or at least something that is similar to it, which their Editor x Mangaka relationship seemed to be close enough to.

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

Wow so much discussion at the first chapter? Clam down guys^^''

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Hey Pyoro, from where is your avatar?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Sena from Transistor Venus:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/transistor_venus_ch52#26

joined May 14, 2016

So this is the power of Kodama Naoko; just one chapter and the discussion section went through 90+ =D

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Sena from Transistor Venus:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/transistor_venus_ch52#26

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

Like why'd she compare the mother with her... I mean sure she's pushy but..... Her parents are assholes it doesn't seem fair

Machi's mum was only pressuring her a little at first, but that quickly grew out of control. I'm thinking she might be worried the same will happen with Hana.

Anyway, kinda sad to see so many people can relate to my post. To all the Asian kids who had to go through all that pressure (and probably had to repress their sexuality bec of Asian culture), I hope you all find a happy ending with the girl of your dreams.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

The couple who were in the real-life manga about being married and having a child eventually divorced. So, at some point, Japanese yuri will also have divorce themes.

spoiler please

I was greatly sadden whe I read about that break up. It was a blow to my faith in yuri love.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Nope. Knowing this mangaka's other works, I would rather avoid this until it's finished and I know whether it has a happy ending or not

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Oh wow, this is nice. Gonna read. :O

To reply you must either login or sign up.