Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Curiously enough, I'm quite alright with the drama lurking in the horizon, mainly because their relationship has grown a lot every time they have faced the slight inconveniences that have crossed them. Kase-san getting possessive was quite blunt and it's probably the same thing as the whole "don't use that cute apron" back then

Apparently a lot of people find that whole "only wear cute clothes for me, I don't want anyone else to see it" thing endearing, but it always creeps me out. I'm not saying that it's always a sign of domestic violence to come, but....

Oh, nonononono, don't get me wrong. I don't find it endearing, I find it a opportunity for them to grow together as a couple. Insecurity is something you should aim to overcome in a relationship

Sharkexpert12
2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

People seem to think a dark storm is coming, because Kase got a little weird about Yamada trying on lip stick. The history of the two series doesn't support that, though. Sure there might be a fight, but it will probably be over, in a chapter, or two., and when it's done the couple will have aired out their feelings, becoming closer for it.
The series has never been agsty, and I doubt it will start now. I, for one, hope complications, like boys, and possessive jealously are left out.
Sometimes, I do get the feeling that Kase's feelings are much deeper than Yamada's, and poor Yamada is just getting dragged along for the ride. I just chalk that up, to the fact, that Yamada is extremely shy, and innocent, though.

Kase is 100% more serious then Yamada but she is willing to wait for her to be ready to move forward and not drag her forward if that will continue to be the case in the future I havent a clue but Kase seems atleast ok with waiting for the time being.

joined Mar 15, 2017

On thing to remember though is now the author has a publisher and editors to answer to and give suggestions/imput on where they think the story should go and what should be in it. It is not like it be the first time publishers pushed a author to make changes in a story.

From the beginning when it was in Hirari, it has always had the same publisher (Shinshokan) and probably the same editor.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

People seem to think a dark storm is coming, because Kase got a little weird about Yamada trying on lip stick. The history of the two series doesn't support that, though. Sure there might be a fight, but it will probably be over, in a chapter, or two., and when it's done the couple will have aired out their feeling, becoming closer for it.
The series has never been agsty, and I doubt it will start now. I, for one, hope complications, like boys, and possessive jealously are left out.

On thing to remember though is now the author has a publisher and editors to answer to and give suggestions/imput on where they think the story should go and what should be in it. It is not like it be the first time publishers pushed a author to make changes in a story.

Well the beginning, of this series, seems to be keeping with the spirit, of original work. So, I feel safe, in saying that it's not going to suddenly go off in a new direction.

joined Sep 1, 2017

People seem to think a dark storm is coming, because Kase got a little weird about Yamada trying on lip stick. The history of the two series doesn't support that, though. Sure there might be a fight, but it will probably be over, in a chapter, or two., and when it's done the couple will have aired out their feelings, becoming closer for it.
Sometimes, I do get the feeling that Kase's feelings are much deeper than Yamada's, and poor Yamada is just getting dragged along for the ride. I just chalk that up, to the fact, that Yamada is extremely shy, and innocent, though.

Kase is 100% more serious then Yamada but she is willing to wait for her to be ready to move forward and not drag her forward if that will continue to be the case in the future I havent a clue but Kase seems atleast ok with waiting for the time being.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Kase is taking advantage, of Yamada, or anything. I'm just not sure, if Yamada is mature enough to tell the difference, between strong platonic friendship, and romantic love. I find, Yamada's reluctance to call Kase by her given name, disturbing. Like she is unconsciously trying keep Kase at arms length. Maybe Kase senses that too, and that's why she gets a little clingy.

last edited at Apr 7, 2018 4:57AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Curiously enough, I'm quite alright with the drama lurking in the horizon, mainly because their relationship has grown a lot every time they have faced the slight inconveniences that have crossed them. Kase-san getting possessive was quite blunt and it's probably the same thing as the whole "don't use that cute apron" back then

Apparently a lot of people find that whole "only wear cute clothes for me, I don't want anyone else to see it" thing endearing, but it always creeps me out. I'm not saying that it's always a sign of domestic violence to come, but....

Oh, nonononono, don't get me wrong. I don't find it endearing, I find it a opportunity for them to grow together as a couple. Insecurity is something you should aim to overcome in a relationship

I think it's cute when they want their lover to wear, certain outfits, just for them. Love is naturally a little selfish. It wouldn't worry me until they wanted to pick out, all of their lover's outfits. especially if they started checking up, on their lover, to make sure they where wearing an "approved" outfit.
That being said, Kase is obviously feeling insecure, about her relationship, with Yamada. I don't blame her. If the girl I was dating, for over a year, refused to call me by my first name, I'd have my concerns too.

last edited at Apr 7, 2018 6:05AM

Icon3
joined Dec 17, 2017

People seem to think a dark storm is coming

I actually, genuinely, think no storm will come, because the author didn't notice the writing has various ways to read it. It'll be a scene that in a larger context will fall aside and be forgotten.

Would be my guess, anyway.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I think Kase's reaction to the lipstick and Yamada's refusal to use her given name might actually be the same reaction: A fear of change.

They both like what they currently have and are generally comfortable with it, but they're also at a stage in their lives where things are changing and, with the choices they've made, they're facing some pretty drastic changes. What's worse, they aren't really there for each other to go through those changes together and, on some level, they know they're both facing a different set of changes and they're afraid of what those changes will do to their relationship. In Yamada's case it was not wanting to move to a closer form of address, because she's used to calling Kase Kase. Similarly, Kase is used to Yamada being innocent not particularly worldly, but here she is looking at other people and learning about adult things, like caring about make up. That is a large change for her and Kase is probably worried about what that means for their relationship and how Yamada views her. After all, she doesn't really use makeup or dress fancy herself and it was the innocent Yamada that fell in love with her, so would a more adult Yamada, with more refined tastes, still have feelings for the tomboy?

If the were living together, or could even meetup and hangout more, these worries would probably be much less of an issue, because they could see how gradual the change is, that it's not really effecting who they are as a person, and are still madly in love with each other, but that's not the case. They're separated most of the time and, while change is always scary, it's much scarier when the people you care about are changing without you.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just wanted to say: good, thoughtful discussion about an interesting chapter.

Thanks, folks.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Kase, as thirsty as ever..

And then... dun dun dun... the dreaded mixer arc.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And by “dreaded” that means “eagerly anticipated.”

(In some series a mixer scene might foreshadow an angst > het turn—a het move in this one would be like introducing a serial-killer arc into Miss Sunflower.)

last edited at Apr 7, 2018 10:59AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

And by “dreaded” that means “eagerly anticipated.”

(In some series a mixer scene might foreshadow an angst > het turn—a het move in this one would be like introducing a serial-killer arc into Miss Sunflower.)

I agree. Adding a het angle now, seems out of character, for this series. I don't think, it's as far fetched as adding a serial killer, to a light hearted shoujo Ai, but it seems unlikely.

last edited at Apr 7, 2018 2:07PM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Ooohhh a mixer.. Dun Dun DUNNNNNNNN

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

When I read Yamada asking Kase what she'd like for her birthday I kept thinking:

"Sex, Yamada. She wants to spend the day in your room having sex."

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I think Kase's reaction to the lipstick and Yamada's refusal to use her given name might actually be the same reaction: A fear of change.

They both like what they currently have and are generally comfortable with it, but they're also at a stage in their lives where things are changing and, with the choices they've made, they're facing some pretty drastic changes. What's worse, they aren't really there for each other to go through those changes together and, on some level, they know they're both facing a different set of changes and they're afraid of what those changes will do to their relationship. In Yamada's case it was not wanting to move to a closer form of address, because she's used to calling Kase Kase. Similarly, Kase is used to Yamada being innocent not particularly worldly, but here she is looking at other people and learning about adult things, like caring about make up. That is a large change for her and Kase is probably worried about what that means for their relationship and how Yamada views her. After all, she doesn't really use makeup or dress fancy herself and it was the innocent Yamada that fell in love with her, so would a more adult Yamada, with more refined tastes, still have feelings for the tomboy?

If the were living together, or could even meetup and hangout more, these worries would probably be much less of an issue, because they could see how gradual the change is, that it's not really effecting who they are as a person, and are still madly in love with each other, but that's not the case. They're separated most of the time and, while change is always scary, it's much scarier when the people you care about are changing without you.

QFT. They are both torn between wanting some stability throughout all these changes but also wanting to move forward to reassure themselves.
That's why Kase started calling her Yui and why Yamada feels the urge to at least try some more adult / culturally expected things... Each making the other uncomfortable (and in Yamada's case even herself).

But I honestly agree with Kase, that the lipstick doesn't suit Yamada. Yamada's the more natural type, she'll certainly can and will grow into some direction or the other, but bright lipstick really isn't a match to her (at least, not yet). And Mikawa should know so too - which makes me wonder if she tried to help Yamada test it out herself, was pushing her own preferences on Yamada, wanted to get rid of a lipstick-color she bought by mistake or just tried to meddle... again.

On another note, Kase was okay with the concept of Yamada wearing or at least trying out lipstick. Her opinion only changed while she was watching Yamada applying it. So either she felt the action (a somewhat sexy scene; Kase started to - albeit uncomfortably - blush looking on) unfitting - perhaps feeling reminded of the girls at her uni she had mentioned, that are very much not like Yamada - or she may have felt jealous of something (unfamiliar) getting into contact with Yamada's lips :P ((My headcanon is, that when Yamada had issues getting it off, Kase was like "I'll take care of that for you...(and also reassure you that you're the smexiest thing alive to me~)"))

For those implying an unhealthy dynamic here, I really don't think we're anywhere near such.
It would appear and evolve much differently if they spent more time together. Still, Kase's possessiveness never went past a point of what Yamada wanted/needed her to be. Yamada's very innocent and often still rather naive, having a hard time finding her own place and discovering new things. More often than stopping her, Kase encourages her, nudges Yamada to just go and try things. But Kase's also there to stop Yamada if she blindly stumbles into a wrong direction, steadying her and then lets her move on. Kase's not a stalker, nor a clingy person. She's often blunt and direct, but also gentle, and as insecure herself and shows it often enough. She would like to spend more time with Yamada, most certainly would spend more time quenching her thirst, but besides lotsa things to do she hardly ever pushes for anything, lets Yamada live her new life and only ever so rarely nudges that topic (rly, off memory counting all those close-ups of Kase in heat versus the amount of times she actually 'did' or said something, she's got quite the restraints to not push her precious widdle flower into anything she wouldn't want).
What I'm saying is, their characters complement each another, and where the differences are too big, they both compromise. Again, it would play out differently and IMO much more obvious what good of a match they are, if time and distance wouldn't keep them apart and from actual interactions. They do learn from another and resond to another, they let another grow and do their best to not grow apart, but would have a much easier time if they had more time to just hang out, interact and talk.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^I agree with all this.

But the way that scene is staged Kase still comes off as being pretty controlling: “You should stop.” (Whether Yamada likes the way she looks or not.)

I don’t expect a toxic turn to the story at all. It’s just that, although we’ve previously seen Kase be avid, jealous, or insecure multiple times, in this scene there was bit more of an edge to the tone than we’ve ever seen before. I’m not entirely sure that tone is intentional, or if it is, where exactly that edge comes from or what, if anything, it might portend.

Kase should just get with Mikawacchi and buy Yamada a shade of lipstick that suits her.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Kase should just get with Mikawacchi and buy Yamada a shade of lipstick that suits her.

I was thinking, Kase thought about something amongst those lines, when she asked Yamada if receiving 'this kinda stuff' made her happy. Kase wasn't jealous of the reaction Yamada had on Mikawa's gift. She was pondering if she could make her happy like that herself.
Kase really tries to do the right thing for Yamada's sake and happiness, without dubious intent.

But, honestly, if she did, I can already picture the comments on how Kase was controlling Yamada by chosing her lipstick for her... (...as if such might lead to "50 Shades of Kase" :P)

On a semi-related point: Kase wasn't jealous or reacted in any way weird about Yamada having a new friend. I don't even think, she was bothered by them instantly being close buds [pun intended]. She was jusst hung up on the fact, that Yamada was okay with using first names with someone else but still refuses such with her.
Gladly we knew the context, but to any outsider of the scene, that may have appeared like an overly strong, possessive reaction as well. ...I hope, we'll soon be blessed with more Kase-POV chapters ^.^

Anyhow, I'm glad, the author used the scene to explain the girls' reasons (being afraid of too much change), otherwise one may have implied that Yamada was still idolizing her girlfriend or, in the arguably worse interpretation, distance herself from her. ...But let's not forget, Yamada seemed just fine when Kase called her by her first name when they were alone and Santana cued in their heads. So my take is, when it comes to Kase, being called "Yui" is just so intimate for Yamada (and by association might make her legs go all jelly anytime Kase says "Yui") she rather be called Yamada by her in public or during casual conversation. ...I'd think, if my interpretation was anywhere close to being right, that could explain Yamada's take on sexuality or which level it plays out for her. And so it would be okay for her to casually be called Yui by anyone she doesn't have erotic associations with / anyone who isn't Kase.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"50 Shades of Kase"

If that doujin doesn’t exist, it will.

(I think we’re all just excited about the possibility of new arc of development for these two. I have an almost unlimited tolerance for lovey-dovey Kase/Yamada scenes, but if we can can get that and real character/plot development in their new Tokyo lives, we shall be blessed beyond our deserving.)

joined Dec 28, 2016

I don't get everyone's issues with possessiveness. If you're in a relationship its right to be possessive at a healthy level. Just don't take it to an extreme (preventing them from going out with other people) and it's fine.

joined Sep 1, 2017

"50 Shades of Kase"

If that doujin doesn’t exist, it will.

Argh! Yet another thing Twilight, will have to answer for.

(I think we’re all just excited about the possibility of new arc of development for these two. I have an almost unlimited tolerance for lovey-dovey Kase/Yamada scenes, but if we can can get that and real character/plot development in their new Tokyo lives, we shall be blessed beyond our deserving.)

Count me in.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Wow you guys have put a lot of thought, into this. I just figured, that the manga was trying to set a light hearted cheery tone, so I looked at everything, that happened in that light.
I figured Kase and Yamada might have an argument over this, which would lead to open communication, and ultimately bringing them closer together. The spectre of, unhealthy jealously, and domestic violence, never crossed my mind.

last edited at Apr 8, 2018 7:15PM

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Wow you guys have put a lot of thought, into this. I just figured, that the manga was trying to set a light hearted cheery tone, so I looked at everything, that happened in that light.
I figured Kase and Yamada might have an argument over this, which would lead to open communication, and ultimately bringing them closer together. The spectre of, unhealthy jealously, and domestic violence, never crossed my mind.

If it's worth analyzing, it's worth overanalyzing to within an inch of its life.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

This chapter of Kase-san has been analyzed like the Zapruder film.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I was thinking more along the lines of Bergman's Persona.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I was thinking more along the lines of Bergman's Persona.

I get more of a "last 15 minutes of 2001" vibe myself.

To reply you must either login or sign up.