Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Curiously enough, I'm quite alright with the drama lurking in the horizon, mainly because their relationship has grown a lot every time they have faced the slight inconveniences that have crossed them. Kase-san getting possessive was quite blunt and it's probably the same thing as the whole "don't use that cute apron" back then

Apparently a lot of people find that whole "only wear cute clothes for me, I don't want anyone else to see it" thing endearing, but it always creeps me out. I'm not saying that it's always a sign of domestic violence to come, but....

last edited at Apr 5, 2018 9:31PM

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

kase cant hold back the gay

joined Mar 19, 2016

I think i like this country girl more than Kase to be honest.

Yeah, nah.

At least Hana isn’t telling Yamada what to wear or lying that lipstick doesn’t suit her ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yamada will say she already has a lover and graciously refuse, and then give a better idea of a place to go as two friends, surely.

Of course you're right--that is how this series always works. But I did say "best case," not "most likely case." One hallmark of this series, and one of the things I like about it, is the unreasonableness of their emotional crises (Yamada or Kase worries that the other one is mad at them/dumping them/carrying a torch for an ex) and the reasonableness of the solutions (they talk, it was really because they love each so much, it's fine). I just have a soft spot for "Kase + het boys behaving badly re. Yamada" scenes.

And I'd pay money to watch Kase size up her pint-sized "rival" for the first time (well, I will actually pay money at the earliest opportunity, but you know what I mean).

last edited at Apr 5, 2018 11:02PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

At least Hana isn’t telling Yamada what to wear or lying that lipstick doesn’t suit her ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, one of the cutest aspects of their relationship is that each one has a feeling that they're not quite good enough for the other one--Yamada thinks Kase is too incredibly cool for words while she herself is a mere raised-in-a-hydroponic-tank plant girl, while Kase thinks Yamada is the sexiest thing walking on two legs and is likely to be snatched away at any moment by . . . pretty much anybody or anything.

Keep that dynamic on the sunny side and they go through life trying to prove how much they adore each other; give it a darker twist and they're living in a squalid room at the Heartbreak Hotel, located at the corner of Low Self-Esteem Avenue and Irrational Jealousy Street.

joined Jun 30, 2016

damn the new girl is cute and now she want to go to a mixer with yamada? i see clouds on the horizon my boys!!

joined Oct 26, 2016

Hey it's one of those side insert hand dryers.

I just hope if there's drama it's not too bad. Hearing the mixer is getting me worried.

13051743_10209394128839678_5264927321810147707_n
joined Mar 19, 2016

Yamada will say she already has a lover and graciously refuse, and then give a better idea of a place to go as two friends, surely.

Hopefully, if not... REEEEEEEEEE

Do the right thing, Yamada!

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

Honestly is shocks me that they have had sex when they aren't even on first name basis.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Honestly is shocks me that they have had sex when they aren't even on first name basis.

I'd put the surprising thing the other way around--they certainly were well-acquainted with one another when they finally did the deed (it was the opposite of stranger sex), but for whatever reason they never switched the names when they became close friends quite some time before the physical intimacy happened.

I strongly suspect that it's not primarily an in-story thing but a function of the series title--it's almost like Kase-san has to stay Kase-san because that's the name in the title, and if so, they can't just have Kase use Yamada's first name but not vice versa.

(I know it's not nearly the same thing culturally, but I did know a couple where the guy always went by his last name among a group of friends, and then when the two of them got together she still called him by his last name like everybody else.)

And (again, most likely a non-Japanese thing) while I can kinda see Yamada as a "Yui," I really have a hard time getting my head around Kase as "Tomoka"--Kase seems like a Kase.

last edited at Apr 6, 2018 12:30AM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yamada continues to have the best faces.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Kase seems like a Kase.

It pleases me that this manga is at a point where "Kase" is not a name anymore, but a common noun. :D

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

Hana-chan seems like a cute addition to the crew. Definitely see Kase-san being jealous and possessive because of her, so I just hope the drama gets handled well. Maybe we can even tackle how possessive she can be sometimes?

Shrimpmayo
joined Oct 21, 2015

i feel obligated to post in this topic for some reason

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I know Japan's culture is different than ours, but it still seems really cold, and distant, calling your lover by their family name.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Apparently a lot of people find that whole "only wear cute clothes for me, I don't want anyone else to see it" thing endearing, but it always creeps me out. I'm not saying that it's always a sign of domestic violence to come, but....

Your right, I never thought of it like that. Still, I think it's just ment to be cute, here.

last edited at Apr 6, 2018 5:25AM

joined Sep 25, 2015

Hey it's one of those side insert hand dryers.

I just hope if there's drama it's not too bad. Hearing the mixer is getting me worried.

Imagine the people's reaction if the author decides to get Yamada drunk and raped as a late April fools joke lol.
The rage would be amazing.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really don’t think that Kase’s reaction to the lipstick (and yes, something like this did happen before—you’ll find it somewhere in the volume translated as Kase-san and APRON) is primarily jealousy/possessiveness—the way those scenes are staged I think Kase’s thinking is more like:

“Yamada, if you get even one percentage point cuter we’re going to have to have sex starting immediately and do it constantly from then on, but that’s a big problem because we’re in public, we have other things to do with our lives, and me telling you this would weird you out anyway. So you can’t get any cuter. Please.”

There’s some degree of jealousy, certainly, but I believe there’s mostly a deep, deep, unslakable thirst.

last edited at Apr 6, 2018 6:58AM

meanmachinery
joined Mar 19, 2016

I really don’t think that Kase’s reaction to the lipstick (and yes, something like this did happen before—you’ll find it somewhere in the volume translated as Kase-san and APRON) isn’t primarily jealousy/possessiveness—the way those scenes are staged I think Kase’s thinking is more like:

“Yamada, if you get even one percentage point cuter we’re going to have to have sex starting immediately and do it constantly from then on, but that’s a big problem because we’re in public, we have other things to do with our lives, and me telling you this would weird you out anyway. So you can’t get any cuter. Please.”

I agree with the sprit of what you're saying, but in the chapter with the apron, Yamada defied Kase's request and Kase realized she was unreasonable, so they made up and it all worked out.

Here, in the scene with the lipstick, Kase never clarifies herself and Yamada just rolls with it, accepting that "it doesn't suit her", which feels really dysfunctional as a relationship dynamic.

I have faith in the author, so hopefully the next chapter will feature Kase explaining herself or realizing her mistake in negging her girlfriend, and their relationship progress from there. Otherwise, that lipstick scene would have been pretty gross.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Kaze tried to get on a first name basis around the time they did it

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Yamada you did a nice job showing backbone this chapter, now do it again a explain that you arent single

joined Jun 27, 2017

I hope this chapter is the first of a proper sequel.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Here, in the scene with the lipstick, Kase never clarifies herself and Yamada just rolls with it, accepting that "it doesn't suit her", which feels really dysfunctional as a relationship dynamic.

That’s true, and there are any number of moments in the series (and in most real-life relationships, for that matter) that, taken to an extreme or in a different direction, would be signs of a problematic relationship.

I mean, in literal terms, in the Christmas episode Kase lies in order to trick Yamada into going to a love hotel.

In context, it’s just a one-panel throwaway gag about Kase’s avidity and Yamada’s raised-in-a-tank cluelessness about matters sexual. But subjected to the standard “what if this were real life/what if it were a guy doing it?” tests people often use, it would be . . .something other than what it is in the story.

I do trust that anybody who bets that the tale of Yamada and Kase-san will take a seriously dark turn is just throwing away their money.

meanmachinery
joined Mar 19, 2016

That’s true, and there are any number of moments in the series (and in most real-life relationships, for that matter) that, taken to an extreme or in a different direction, would be signs of a problematic relationship.

I mean, in literal terms, in the Christmas episode Kase lies in order to trick Yamada into going to a love hotel.

In context, it’s just a one-panel throwaway gag about Kase’s avidity and Yamada’s raised-in-a-tank cluelessness about matters sexual. But subjected to the standard “what if this were real life/what if it were a guy doing it?” tests people often use, it would be . . .something other than what it is in the story.

I do trust that anybody who bets that the tale of Yamada and Kase-san will take a seriously dark turn is just throwing away their money.

I mostly agree with what you are saying, but I also feel that in this case, there's a difference. In the christmas chapter, it's a single panel gag played for laughs. In the most recent chapter, it's instead a multi-page emotional beat that focuses heavily on Kase's feelings for Yamada. The fact that they show that vaguely disturbing reaction from Kase without showing any negative repercussions felt weird.

But, since I have faith in the author, my guess is that it will be adressed in the next chapter. Yamada will go to the mixer (while wearing make-up!), she ends up super-cute and attracting a guy, Kase have to rescue her, Kase admits she said what she said about the lipstick because it drives her crazy with lust, and she brings up the name thing again. They kiss and make up., problem solved.

Now let's just see if MY bet for how the story progress will pay off...

last edited at Apr 6, 2018 8:33AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But, since I have faith in the author, my guess is that it will be adressed in the next chapter. Yamada will go to the mixer (while wearing make-up!), she ends up super-cute and attracting a guy, Kase have to rescue her, Kase admits she said what she said about the lipstick because it drives her crazy with lust, and she brings up the name thing again. They kiss and make up., problem solved.

I agree with you that there was something somewhat more unsettling about that lipstick scene than anything we've seen before, either intentionally or because the creator didn't quite nail the desired effect (and we have seen significant tonal revisions in the tank versions before).

If your guess is right, my question is about the fate of the luckless mixer guy . . .

To reply you must either login or sign up.