Forum › Me and Her Are... discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm also inclined to go with reincarnation. The era difference is important. The rotary phone and old school TV are out of the 70's. If "Mihoko" followed her lover, This girl would be the right age to be her reincarnation.

Just because this isn't a serial doesn't mean it might not be a two-shot or something. I suspect there's a second part in the wings, maybe where she meets Kuniko's reincarnation?

Capture
joined Feb 5, 2017

Maybe it's a supernatural story where she's somehow got memories of someone else's life.

I just kind of assumed it was a reincarnation thing, yeah. The mention of the apartment being a bit old-fashioned and the presence of the old CRT TV, compared to the modern flatscreen in the narrator's apartment, makes me think Kuniko and Mihoko's story might have happened a few decades ago.

Yeah, I agree with you. How else could you explain the random technology close-ups? Plus, you can see the rotary dial phone on page 4 along with the old TV. I mean, this should be some kind of a hint ...

The close-ups could just be there to show you how much time has passed.
she also says "why does your face seem so nostalgic to me?" could be amnesia

last edited at Mar 10, 2018 8:51PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Maybe it's a supernatural story where she's somehow got memories of someone else's life.

I just kind of assumed it was a reincarnation thing, yeah. The mention of the apartment being a bit old-fashioned and the presence of the old CRT TV, compared to the modern flatscreen in the narrator's apartment, makes me think Kuniko and Mihoko's story might have happened a few decades ago.

Yeah, I agree with you. How else could you explain the random technology close-ups? Plus, you can see the rotary dial phone on page 4 along with the old TV. I mean, this should be some kind of a hint ...

Well, yeah, that's the point. They're clearly there to show you that the girl having the dream is living decades after the events of the dream are supposed to transpire. Since the girl in the last part clearly isn't 50+, which she would have to be if the 20-something lived through the three-four decades it takes to go from rotary phones and channel-dial CRT televisions to flat screens, we know that she isn't the same person.

joined Mar 15, 2017

If amnesia were supposed to remain plausible then it would also show you that she had aged accordingly. And her not being "Mihoko" would be a really bad writing idea in terms of getting the point across.

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

I would like a sequel with more explanation but I love the fact that it has many ways to be interpreted

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

I hope this did not happend for real and was just a bad dream

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No offense to the translators (depending on the answer to my question), but is the original Japanese title intentionally ungrammatical (or idiomatic)? Because the proper English syntax is “She and I are lovers.”

(I say “idiomatic,” because casual English speakers might well say it the other way—i.e., the way it is the story—more often than not.)

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Uhummm just kill the gays :s

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If amnesia were supposed to remain plausible then it would also show you that she had aged accordingly. And her not being "Mihoko" would be a really bad writing idea in terms of getting the point across.

That's what bugs me about the amnesia theory. She wouldn't change her name if she just lost her memory.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

you should've added what the fuck tag in this manga dude lol

Capture1%20edited1
joined Jul 10, 2016

The first page talks about how she always return "here". That to me sounds more like a repeating nightmare than a repressed memory. My heart sank on page 6, much like when I saw Sayori in DDLC.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

No offense to the translators (depending on the answer to my question), but is the original Japanese title intentionally ungrammatical (or idiomatic)? Because the proper English syntax is “She and I are lovers.”

(I say “idiomatic,” because casual English speakers might well say it the other way—i.e., the way it is the story—more often than not.)

I'm with you on this one 110%. I see this grammatical error constantly in scanlations and it drives me nuts. There's another point in this particular one-shot where a similar mistake is made. I think a lot of scanlators don't seem to understand the difference between rote translation and localization. I always say to go with the localization. Use proper grammar even if the direct translation doesn't. A good example of this... "Dear My Teacher." I hate that title. Even if it's in Engrish, it looks horribly stupid. Wouldn't it be better to switch it to "My Dear Teacher?" Again, this is a taste thing.

At the very least if we're talking about content in a manga and not the title, get the grammar right. I'm tired of "Me and Midori are going to the amusement park." It needs to be "Midori and I are going to the amusement park." Sheesh.

7okxlebd
joined Oct 28, 2017

I'm guessing that she had amnesia and the dreams are her memories that she forgot because of the trauma.

joined Oct 15, 2014

Basically being forced into an arranged marriage, but not willing to betray her love, she commits suicide instead

I'd go for this one

Same

joined Apr 10, 2014

The scene that shows the difference in TV size made me more confused.... The repressed memory theory just went out to lunch...

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

The visuals in this seem very deliberate. I'd absolutely be interested in a series of this, perhaps an instance where the girl has these memories and tries to find her other half and save her from a potentially repeated fate in modern day. I dunno, could be very interesting.

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

Feels like an indie film, I like it. Short, direct and bitter.

Fullsizeoutput_97
joined Jun 2, 2016

This is super vague and leaves the reader theorizing so many things. I originally thought that she suppressed the memories because of how traumatizing it was but it could also have a supernatural twist to it. I was also thinking about reincarnation and how “Mihoko” might’ve gotten the memories of her past life if she ended up committing suicide as well.

B91c8e71-7626-4e23-84f0-d33e3d736c84
joined May 2, 2017

I DIDNT SEE THE TRAGEDY TAG FUDUUCUCU UUJKK

E05aff7c1334de03865ce183142c84b52
joined Feb 6, 2014

Maybe she was a detective or private investigator and somebody killed her. The arranged marriage idea getting boring a little.

last edited at Mar 11, 2018 4:08AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Pyoro posted:

Glad to see someone is actually looking at the pictures in this visual medium. You don't waste panels in a 8 page long story if it isn't significant and in this case, it's a very blatant hint.

I was too distracted by socks. Look at the ones the "heroine" wears. Then at the one we see of the one who killed herself.

Well. But reincarnation/past life makes sense, insofar such things make sense.

It's true that the furniture look like just out of the 80s. The TV set, the phone. And then, there's the flat screen on page 7: time skip.

She looks to young to be remembering something that happened 20 years ago, so reincarnation? Ghosts? This maybe warrants a supernatural tag.

It's obviously NOT a "repressed memories" thing.

Forest%20fairy%20-%20copy
joined Nov 30, 2017

I agree that it's a reincarnation sort of situation, where our "dreamer" is having dreams of a past life. Considering she's had this dream multiple times, it's likely that these "memories" are still unresolved, ie she hasn't met her lover's reincarnation yet or doesn't realize she has reunited with her. There's just too little information to formulate much else beyond "This is reincarnation shenanigans."

Hopefully a sequel will be produced where our mc finally meets their lover from a past life, both of them regain their memories, and they hook back up. Preferably within a more favorable environment for their homosexual relationship.

886f8d05.m
joined Mar 26, 2014

I think its a super natural thing. It looks like this girl moved in some time after this thing happend. (old tv, new tv ) Mihoko wouldnt keep living in the same apartment where her girlfriend commited suicide so she moved out and the new girl moved in some time later. So this apartment is haunted?
My first guess was this with surpressing memories too, after that tragic event, but the time skip doesnt fit with her age.

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

Another route from Doki Doki Literature club.
You're now in a different route so you're the same protagonist and at the same time different. Lol.

joined Mar 15, 2017

I think its a super natural thing. It looks like this girl moved in some time after this thing happend. (old tv, new tv ) Mihoko wouldnt keep living in the same apartment where her girlfriend commited suicide so she moved out and the new girl moved in some time later. So this apartment is haunted?

The dreamer doesn't live where Mihoko and Kuniko lived. You might have misinterpreted the last panel of the dream before she wakes up as an establishing shot.

last edited at Mar 11, 2018 5:02AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.