Forum › Bright and Cheery Amnesia discussion

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

((: Arisa is all grown up

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

The final panel here should be made into a standard reply for whenever someone posts something like h-handholding.

H**** is way past lewd!

This series is really cute, but honestly, Arisa's purity is wearing thin. I'm past finding it funny and it's just kind of making me feel bad for Mari, who is just desperate for affection from her girlfriend.

It's comedy, you need to ignore the real implications it could have to appreciate it the most, I think.

I for one find it cute that despite her purity, Arisa is still sort of taking the lead, Mari is gladly letting her. I thought the dynamic would change as would their relationship, I guess things will kinda revert to what they were just slightly different.

last edited at Dec 15, 2017 7:42AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I'm just annoyed by the fact that Arisa started remembering the past and completely forgot to tell Mari about it.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Finally some progress

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Enjoy it, Mari-san. You've more than earned it

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

And that`s how back fetishes are born

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Cannibal posted:

I'm just annoyed by the fact that Arisa started remembering the past and completely forgot to tell Mari about it.

Maybe that's the closure arc... Once she regains her memory that's it, there's no longer cheery amnesia so they will drag it as much as they can. But it was caused by a trauma so it is really ominous.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Have sex already

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I like their neighbour even more now. She's just so genuinely excited about their sex life.

joined May 23, 2015

Interesting note: the author has posted that they have always hated that kind of lack-of-progress in relationships in stories, but after making their own manga now understands why it can be necessary.

Divalshfgd_400x400
joined Jan 18, 2017

It's cute. But Arisa is starting to get annoying with her childishness. I hope she gets her memory back soon. If this manga ends with her still like this. I'm going to be disappointed.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Ooooh Arisa's making progress. ;)

Interesting note: the author has posted that they have always hated that kind of lack-of-progress in relationships in stories, but after making their own manga now understands why it can be necessary.

Interesting. I wonder what they now find is necessary. It sort of depends on what their definition of lack-of-progress is too. For me any type of relationship can be written well in the context of the proper type of story. Like a story which doesn't focus on a romance doesn't need to develop it as much.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Interesting. I wonder what they now find is necessary. It sort of depends on what their definition of lack-of-progress is too. For me any type of relationship can be written well in the context of the proper type of story. Like a story which doesn't focus on a romance doesn't need to develop it as much.

Probably because they realized that as soon as real progress happens, they'll have to wrap up the story.

Personnaly, as much as I enjoy the manga for the comedy and all, I do find it annoying that Arisa seems to need a manual on how even kiss her girlfriend (which is something pretty much everybody else managed to master on their own) and Mari seems to prefer keep hoping for Arisa to somehow figuring out things on her own rather than actually taking the lead. Top/bottom nonsense at its finest and reminds me why I dislike seeing those concepts applied to yuri. -.-

joined Jun 12, 2015

Probably their editor's demand.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Always comes at the cost of the quality of the story. If it's character-driven, it needs to flow at the pace that makes sense for the characters, not what's good for "we can sell more volumes this way". It's not always a complete catastrophe, but, heck, there's plenty of romance writers out there who manage 800-page novels without having anything stuck in limbo forever.

But they don't base their entire relationships about 1 single idea that as soon as it gets resolved essentially ends their story.

(also it's frustrating that editors nowadays seem too often to be as much about how to sabotage a good thing as actually making a story good ^^)

... and Mari seems to prefer keep hoping for Arisa to somehow figuring out things on her own rather than actually taking the lead.

Yes, I was initially hoping that "progress" would actually be Mari kinda getting more pro-active now that she has "no choice" while Arisa simultaneously kinda starts remembering things, so both would progress towards some physical relationship again and have some character development going on.

Doesn't seem quite the route it takes which I find a bit of a shame, but, well. It's still OK, for me. This is only 16 chapters so far; ask me again at 30 ;)

last edited at Dec 16, 2017 6:36AM

Fb99a412e56031b0a8f5568f284d39f1435bb314_hq
joined Nov 19, 2017

Progress , we gettin there bois

joined May 23, 2015

To be more precise, after posting a comic parodying/criticizing the trope where both characters clearly want to have sex but find some reason to refuse to do so, what they specifically said was:

"You can't just have them having sex constantly, but as someone who wants them to do it, I feel like it's a gigantic waste to end the series right as they do it. So I really want them to do it more during the story, but looking at it from the author's point of view, it's not that easy to do."

They're also self aware about it, openly stating their own series is affected by "the curse," and pretty actively discussed the topic with the people that replied. Even stating that they wanted to have them do it at a certain point, but after consulting with some people on it (people which they made clear weren't the editor) was told they shouldn't.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Bright and cheery is what I get everytime I read this manga :D adorably funny and cute

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

This series is really cute, but honestly, Arisa's purity is wearing thin. I'm past finding it funny and it's just kind of making me feel bad for Mari, who is just desperate for affection from her girlfriend.

It's comedy, you need to ignore the real implications it could have to appreciate it the most, I think.

I for one find it cute that despite her purity, Arisa is still sort of taking the lead, Mari is gladly letting her. I thought the dynamic would change as would their relationship, I guess things will kinda revert to what they were just slightly different.

Yeah, it's comedy, but it has literally one joke right now, which is "Arisa freaks the fuck out when Mari tries to express basic intimacy.", and that joke has worn thin for me.

I'd just like to see...I dunno, a shoulder lean, or a hug, or a peck on the cheek that -doesn't- result in Arisa having conniptions.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

That's odd, because I feel like more often than not, Arisa is the one initiating requests for some sort of intimacy. She's always really eager to do something, but then freaks out when it comes right down to it because she's unsure of what to do, or just gets too excited and loses her cool. When she thinks about the "old" Arisa, she gets really jealous of "her" and her ability to be so forward with Mari.

There are also times when Mari tries to initiate, and a lot of those times Arisa gets flustered. Much of that seems to stem from the same lack of knowledge on what to do with more intimate advances. (Or, occasionally, being overwhelmed by how cute her girlfriend is.)

There's plenty of other jokes too, but seeing as the manga is about their relationship, it would make sense that gags revolving around their desires for each other would be a recurring theme.

edit: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bright_and_cheery_amnesia_ch14#1

The first six pages of Ch. 14 are very much about their desires for physical intimacy (and Mari's lack of agency prior to that point). Both Mari and Arisa are clear that they want to have sex, with Mari explicitly saying so on the first page. On the next page, Arisa is shown worrying about her current lack of experience, but after that she expresses her remorse over having been so timid up until then, and states that she, too, wants to have sex.

Of course, this is followed by Mari killing the mood somewhat, but I also think she's stopping there because she wants to let Arisa fully prepare for this thing they both want. She doesn't want Arisa to feel uncomfortable for their "first" time together. This whole sequence ends the next day, with Mari saying that she will let Arisa take things slow, so she can remember what to do. Mari then concludes with a bit of narration that expresses her sincere love for Arisa, no matter what. Whether Arisa is still the same woman she knew, or has become a different person, Mari loves her.

last edited at Dec 18, 2017 12:54AM

Img_8611
joined Sep 8, 2016

New chapter hype!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

This is by far my favorite chapter !!

Img_8611
joined Sep 8, 2016

Agreed

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

I said this once and I will say it again, man I love how stupid this is! XD

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN IS THAT PROGRESS I SEE?!

THANK YOU HARA-SAN!!!!

To reply you must either login or sign up.