Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Apr 1, 2017

Since its the same woman he dated back in high school, then its entirely possible that Ritsuko and Reiichi broke up because they could see that it was tearing Kaoru apart, but they never actually stopped liking each other over the years. He may have gone out with/married her just for Uta's sake as well since Uta was attached to her from a young age possibly seeing her as a mother figure and if he'd kept dating Ritsuko while they both knew full well how much Kaoru loved him then it would eventually strain their relationships.

The fact that she had to ask him out over and over again before he gave in is also a huge red flag, along with the cheating discussion in chapter 4. She says she doesn't believe he'll cheat because he's not clever enough to get away with it, but not because he loves her. She also can't even name any good qualities of his when asked, and judging from the way she reacted back in high school in this chapter, she may not actually know him as well as she thinks she does.

last edited at Nov 13, 2017 12:40AM

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

God dammit, I really liked this story! If it really turns out that Reiichi really was cheating on her, that's gonna feel cheap. If it turns out to be a misunderstanding (maybe he lied about being out for a few more days so they could show up in order to surprise her) then it feels even MORE cheap because it's just a fake-out for no reason other than temporary drama!

If he is cheating it was kinda hinted at early on with him feeling distant. I don't see him careing about her enough to surprise her honestly he felt like trash from the start. Cheap drama isn't this, cheap drama is drama that has no stakes and thus has no real value. Cliche drama is what this feels like it has stakes she fell off a staircase that should be obvious. The way it will continue after this will make or break the story if it goes the standard obvious route then ya it's going to feel rather played out but it could do something different as anything deserves a chance untill it shows it failed and this hasn't failed yet.

joined May 7, 2015

It’s unbelivable that this story suddenly used such a cliche. It doesn’t matter if he really is cheating or not. At first I thought “what a nice guy to see in a yuri manga”, and I felt that was quite valuable, since stories similar to this always ends up with violent/cheating husband - breakup pattern.

Well, I dunno. If Uta eventually gets a lover she really loves, that’s fine. I’m not expecting a lot.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

While not surprising, it is still disappointing.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

WHAT A BULLSHIT WAY TO END! JUST BECAUSE SHE SEE'S REIICHI WITH ANOTHER WOMAN, YOU END IT WITH HER FALLING TO AMNESIA OR WHATEVER THE FUCK!? REALLY!? TAKE MY 2 CENTS GAAAAAAAAH! PATHETICCCC

That is some kind of beautiful :3

@Peccata Almost of all my yes to what you wrote. I might add that we have yet to learn what has happened between Uta's parents and Kaoru, so perhaps he accepted her love(?) out of guilt to her in addition of her love(romantic or not) to his sister.

The way it will continue after this will make or break the story if it goes the standard obvious route then ya it's going to feel rather played out but it could do something different as anything deserves a chance untill it shows it failed and this hasn't failed yet.

Why would the standard route automatically result in a failure? The problem is that a story has to make sense (in its own context), sometimes the standard route is the most logical/best route to take instead of some clusterfuck just to be "original". But I guess it's a problem of expectations that I don't share with some people : everything doesn't have to be original to be enjoyable.

I'm curious as to what different route you are thinking of. At least, I'm happy that you're not considering possible outcomes as either cheap or stupid,

@Schuyguy, I'm curious about your avatar. Would you mind telling me where does it come from?

At first I thought “what a nice guy to see in a yuri manga," [...].

What a nice guy who forget anniversaries, is always absent and rejected her numerous times :p. But yes, he isn't an asshole and looks pretty chill despite the flaws we've seen. I think it happens to make mistakes, perhaps the marriage was one, if he is cheating.

last edited at Nov 13, 2017 7:06AM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

So as lame as this development is, what'd be even worse is if the author pulls a fast one on us and it turns out to be all just a giant misunderstanding. I forgive that kind of bullshit in Netsuzou Trap since it's kinda cute how there's a horrible cliffhanger every chapter that's then completely negated. But in general it's cheap and manipulative.

The cheating just makes this series into a soap opera when I had hoped for more (well, maybe like 3 chapters ago), but I'm still gonna read it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Humm.. it's not set in stone that he's cheating. It looks like it, of course, but I've read too many manga where it was just a misunderstanding. So I'll hold my judgment for now.

But yeah,in chapter 4, it was hinted that he dumped her several times but got back with her eventually, after fooling around and then marrying her. She was the one who pursued him, even though he obviously wasn't very committed to her.

And the Risako "executive woman" friend of hers might be the kind of woman he prefers : the non-clingy type who doesn't need him all the time and has ambitions.

Now, I wonder how it will turn out. Convenient amnesia would be a bit lame.

last edited at Nov 13, 2017 9:12AM

joined Mar 15, 2017

But yeah,in chapter 4, it was hinted that he dumped her several times but got back with her eventually, after fooling around and then marrying her.

The verb they use applies to both breaking up and being turned down, but I think in context it's more likely they mean he kept turning her down.

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

Just finished reading from chap1 and the way I understand it,

1. Kaoru was not totally romantically in love with Reiichi. When it was in highschool and the how and why Kaoru pursue Reiichi are still unknown to me. I was thinking it has something to do with the parents' relationship to which the focal point of the misunderstanding and the sad memories that comes after was Kaoru. Your guess might be mine as well. :)
  2. Reiichi is very observant as a person. He knew the "closeness" between Kaoru and Uta to which this maybe a possible reason why he is emotionally detached and turned down Kaoru several times. You see the different expression when he is alone with Kaoru when the latter showed expressions of concern, attention and jealousy. But this is only short-lived because Uta always comes in between, physically or not.
  3. Unknown to Uta, she was Kaoru's security and comfort. A panel in this latest chapter showed a high school Kaoru eating alone with a picture across. That is a classic sign of depression. In chap 1, a panel showed the past on how happy both were while Reiichi was looking and a similar incident happened when both were going home after the job interview. The point is: Uta is to young to know what romantic love is, Kaoru was old enough to know it couldn't be and Reiichi to know that he has no place between these two.
  4. The awkwardness between Reiichi and Kaoru is for me not acceptable as spouses. I was asking why. And the answers for me are #1,2,3. Then why did Reiichi marry Kaoru? Your guess might be mine as well. :)
  5. The fall might not be as bad as we think if i based it from Ritsuko and Reiichi's reactions. I saw the distance between Kaoru and the two. There was no point that Kaoru stop following and thinking. Thus, the slip. Why was she affected for what she saw? I believe it was like a deja vu for her - a sad past, a painful memory.
  6. Ritsuko is not a surprise or degenerating element in the story. Actually, her presence brings consistency to the fluidity of the story.
  7. For the cheating, it is not conclusive. Noticeable is the neatly combed hair...might be a possible reason for the breakup before... hahaha... if looks could kill.. I mean, Ritsuko being ambitious and career-driven.
thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

No matter what I hope this doesn't end with Uta and Kaoru together. I just don't feel like they would be good romantically for each other and Uta should move on and find someone that loves her and isn't so dependent on her. Kaoru seems more suited at being a friend/sister than a lover anyway imo.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

No matter what I hope this doesn't end with Uta and Kaoru together.

I hope they do! Well, at first I think I would've loved to see something similar to what you're describing. In addition to have the story fitting the title, it would've been a nice conclusion to a depressing and bittersweet story. But with Ackerman's post, I think it's possible the love was there before and now I want it to be happening.

Reiichi is very observant as a person. He knew the "closeness" between Kaoru and Uta to which this maybe a possible reason why he is emotionally detached and turned down Kaoru several times. You see the different expression when he is alone with Kaoru when the latter showed expressions of concern, attention and jealousy. But this is only short-lived because Uta always comes in between, physically or not.

That would be a very good point. I mean, we've already seen the brother being suspicious of the two without really expressing it clearly (or without us being in his head), so it's possible he already suspects that not only Uta has a thing for his wife but also the other way around.

The awkwardness between Reiichi and Kaoru is for me not acceptable as spouses. I was asking why. And the answers for me are #1,2,3. Then why did Reiichi marry Kaoru? Your guess might be mine as well. :)

Perhaps out of kindness for both Kaoru and Uta, and also no better person to be with at the moment? I mean, maybe the only reason Kaoru was going after him was (unconsciously) to be with Uta as well? Therefore, we could imagine something a bit far-fetched like Reiichi accepting to make some kind of family with the two so they could be all together while having a safe/comfy situation - the only drawback meaning he couldn't really be emotionally engaged with Kaoru because there would be the risk, someday, that she realises what she is feeling.

Okay that does look pretty far-fetched, but I like the idea of him realising it before Kaoru, because that would make less of an asshole to cheat on her : he also needs to be with somebody that really loves him or somebody that he loves. The big problem, except the fact that this is only pure speculation, is that we don't know what happened with Uta and Reiichi's parents and it's pretty obvious it has a big role to play in the story.

last edited at Nov 13, 2017 3:19PM

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

No matter what I hope this doesn't end with Uta and Kaoru together. I just don't feel like they would be good romantically for each other and Uta should move on and find someone that loves her and isn't so dependent on her. Kaoru seems more suited at being a friend/sister than a lover anyway imo.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Kaoru NEEDS someone around her right now, she's obviously traumatized, and considering what just happened I seriously doubt it's going to be the brother.

Img_0840
joined Jun 2, 2015

Okaaaay~ did not see that coming!!

7okxlebd
joined Oct 28, 2017

(°¤°) At the same time, I'm happy and not happy. Glad that she might have a chance with Kaoru, but Kaoru is heartbroken and is probably injured. Can't wait for the ch. 11.

Av
joined May 25, 2015

The fall might not be as bad as we think

Maybe she lost the baby she didn't know she was pregnant with?

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

The fall might not be as bad as we think

Maybe she lost the baby she didn't know she was pregnant with?

Well there's edge, and then there's this. Holy shit yo.

Anyways, can we all agree that Tiny Uta is the real show stopper this chapter?

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

Okay that does look pretty far-fetched, but I like the idea of him realising it before Kaoru, because that would make less of an asshole to cheat on her : he also needs to be with somebody that really loves him or somebody that he loves. The big problem, except the fact that this is only pure speculation, is that we don't know what happened with Uta and Reiichi's parents and it's pretty obvious it has a big role to play in the story.

I don't mind far-fetched ideas nor speculations. I think that is the backbone of any forum, right? To convene - to learn from, to share to. :)

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

I just started reading this, then there's a cliffhanger?! FML

joined Sep 25, 2015

Hahaha! I'm so glad I picked this up today. Seeing people so mad with "oh no, muh cliches, I'm so tired of this, it's shit now."
I'm actually enjoying this a lot. Screw you negative people. You know what you were getting into and still you complained when you got what was coming.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Entoma posted:

Hahaha! I'm so glad I picked this up today. Seeing people so mad with "oh no, muh cliches, I'm so tired of this, it's shit now."
I'm actually enjoying this a lot. Screw you negative people. You know what you were getting into and still you complained when you got what was coming.

Is our fault for not knowing the future since the first chapter, true... I missed the tragedy cheating tags

joined Sep 25, 2015

Entoma posted:

Is our fault for not knowing the future since the first chapter, true... I missed the tragedy cheating tags

There is no tragedy here yet. She could have just fell from the fatigue of overworking and the shock of seeing her husband possibly cheating with her friend. It's nice the cheating wasn't targeted to the MC. Uta doesn't need this in her confused adolescent phase.
I also doubt there will be amnesia here and I hope I'm right because amnesia is the worst fucking cliche of all cliches. If you grew up watching soap operas with your maids then fuck it gets on your nerves real fast.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

We already know that there won't be chapter of My Unrequited Love in next Yuri Hime (because of vol 2 release). But Chaosteam will have extras for it at least.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Alextasha said:

We already know that there won't be chapter of My Unrequited Love in next Yuri Hime (because of vol 2 release). But Chaosteam will have extras for it at least.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Son of a bitch! My heart is pounding in my mouth with anticipation! I hope Kaoru? is alright. She fell down the stairs :(.

last edited at Nov 24, 2017 8:01AM

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

Screw you negative people. You know what you were getting into and still you complained when you got what was coming.

Not like we could see into the future to know what the author was gonna go for, don't see why blame us.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

If I'm at all disappointed it's because I had the tiniest bit of faith in the author which I now realize was sadly misplaced. Though I guess I should've known earlier after all the recent bullshit with those two side characters.

To reply you must either login or sign up.