Forum › The World Is Full Of Yuri discussion

Homu2
joined Mar 23, 2015

They should get married anyway for the tax benefits.

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Let the voice of love take you higher

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

H-how about yaoi marriges... TwT

Nobody cares about yaoi marrieges, sweetheart.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I haven't read it yet, but the title by itself got me. Let's hope the content is as good as the title

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I haven't read it yet, but the title by itself got me. Let's hope the content is as good as the title

Ok I just came back from reading it and it FUCKING DELIVERED HOLY SHIT GUYS

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Yeah, fuck marriage for love. WE WANT TAX BENEFITS

joined Jun 12, 2015

Nice "message" to all yuri couples out there.

joined Oct 9, 2011

... If this is in Japan, then the Japanese legislature shouldn't be called "Parliament", but rather "National Diet".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Diet

Japan's system is a Parliamentary system, probably translated as Parliament, because that's what the system they use is called. National Diet is probably just the name of the building, the UK Parliament is in a building called Westminster after all.

last edited at Nov 5, 2017 9:11AM

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

"National Idol Group Center <3 Team Leader"

LOL. All I can think of is Maeda Atsuko and Takahashi Minami from AKB48 (ex-members of the group now btw)

I thought of those exact same people.

I always heard about those two but I always wondered were they a thing or just super shipped together ?

Some said they were an item until Maeda left the group way back 2012. Personally, I think they were just one of those popular ships within the group.

Aw man, Takamina and Acchan...makes me nostalgic for AKB48 when they still had most of their original members~

Makes ME nostalgic for AKB0048.

Surely I can't be the only one who watched that...

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

Makes ME nostalgic for AKB0048.

Surely I can't be the only one who watched that...

I member! I loved that show. Especially the songs (no duh, as they were actual irl akb songs). Although I also seem to remember the bad parts more though, like for example, that het girl who clogged up the screentime with her het story, and also the fact that the irl idols popularity at the time dictated who gets to be focused on in the anime.

But one good part I vividly remember was in S2 with that one girl who was soo tryhard in becoming the Centre Nova(?) she hogged 95% of the screentime throughout the season, but when she actually got into the Centre zone-thing, she can't go any further because she wasn't worthy. That part was cathartic as hell. It was the best middle-finger to a spotlight-hogging character I have ever seen, and it was glorious.

joined Sep 28, 2015

I wonder if there is any yuri hipsters in that world.

"Pfft, I was into yuri marriages before it was cool."

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It kinda makes me want to see a similar "lesbian marriage suddenly becomes legal" situation, but the girl realizes she's been using the fact that it wasn't legal up to that time as an excuse to avoid further commitment. And now she has to wrestle with the very real idea of being able to get married and deciding if she wanted that in the first place.

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Pyoro posted:

So, they only legalized gay marriage for women? That's some massive bias right there.

Didn't think about that, but it'd actually be weirdly plausible. In Germany, for example, homosexuality between men was illegal for quite long, but homosexuality between women somehow wasn't. Even the Nazis didn't specifically persecute lesbians. How weird is that?

Nya-chan posted:

That was the case in the UK too.

Homosexuality was an offense, but only males were targeted, and condemned either to death or forced labor. Because of the whole "sodomy" thing in the Bible. They even cornered one of their geniuses, Alan Turing, to suicide because they forced him to chemical castration.

Lesbians were never acknowledged or targeted by legislation. So technically, it was legal. Or rather, ignored, dismissed. Not unlike Japan with the whole Class S spiel.

Honestly it's mostly a combination of anti-female sexism and penis-centered male chauvinism.

• It's just been assumed (for a long time) that men were the only sexual ones and that women were merely responded to the male desire. (Often because of the whole patriarchal Abrahamic belief that women were made specifically for men.)
  • There's also the common view that unless there's a penis involved, it's not really sex. So male gay people got ostracized and put down because, everything else aside, a penis was penetrating someone somewhere, while female gay people got dismissed as "not really sex" and just some sinful perversion.
St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Also there is a well known saying that lesbianism not being specifically illegal / mentioned in the law went back to Victorian England and was specifically because queen Victoria stopped the law because she said it was impossible for 2 women to do anything together anyway.

(And presumably none of the more worldly MP's were going to talk back to the queen - who had a lot more influence then - and try to explain exactly what 2 women could do lol).

I've heard this is apocryphal - but even the legend shows how they thought - like you said, that sex was a thing men did.

On the Alan turing thing, there was no death penalty for it during 19th century - but of-course prison and forced chemical castration etc was nearly as bad. Glad all that was officially apologized for & pardoned.

p.s The story was good - Just because marriage became legal doesn't make it the right choice for every couple - but they really should at least get a civil partnership - for all the benefits and protections it affords.

last edited at Nov 4, 2017 5:49PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

elevown posted:

On the Alan turing thing, there was no death penalty for it during 19th century - but of-course prison and forced chemical castration etc was nearly as bad. Glad all that was officially apologized for & pardoned.

That was not in the 19th century. But just back in 1952.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

elevown posted:

Maybe they're thinking of Oscar Wilde instead?

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

elevown posted:

Lol - I easily do that unless I pay attention - by 19th century I meant the 1900's - i.e 20th century. I know about turin and all the great work he did in ww2 at bletchley park - tho I've not seen that new film.

last edited at Nov 4, 2017 7:44PM

Aru23
joined Jun 24, 2013

Just when I thought this author couldn't give us anything at the same level of Wife and Wife. Truly amazing, wishing all you girls a happy Yuri Marriage~

joined Feb 11, 2014
  • It's just been assumed (for a long time) that men were the only sexual ones and that women were merely responded to the male desire.

One of the things I learned in College that I found darkly amusing was that the Ancient Greeks view of that was basically inverted: women were the sex-crazed maniacs while men only responded to desires. The crazy thing to me is how these two inverted viewpoints both basically existed as justifications for the marginalization of women.

last edited at Nov 4, 2017 11:36PM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Im finding the discussion here far more interesting than anything in the manga...

joined Jan 8, 2014

Lots of varying sociological and historical view points...cool stuff ^_^

joined Aug 23, 2013

H-how about yaoi marriges... TwT

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

... If this is in Japan, then the Japanese legislature shouldn't be called "Parliament", but rather "National Diet".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Diet

Japan's system is a Parliamentary system, probably translated as Parliament, because that's what the system they use is called. National Diet is probably just the name of the building, the UK Parliament is in a building called Westminster after all.

It's normally (Kokkai) translated as Diet, meaning the assembly, not the building. Just like "ken" is normally translated as prefecture and not province or state. It's just a translating convention. It doesn't interfere with the story at all, and may give more people an idea of what's going on, but no, the original poster is correct.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It kinda makes me want to see a similar "lesbian marriage suddenly becomes legal" situation, but the girl realizes she's been using the fact that it wasn't legal up to that time as an excuse to avoid further commitment. And now she has to wrestle with the very real idea of being able to get married and deciding if she wanted that in the first place.

Probably out there in a doujin somewhere. I agree it'd be a great story.

I think if "The World is Full of Yuri" were a series, they'd eventually get married.

Also, it's pretty clear the one woman's POV is in terms of relationships what they have is already as good as marriage, and they're the ones to determine that.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Yeah, fuck marriage for love. WE WANT TAX BENEFITS

It's not like there's no love, so why refuse the TAX BENEFITS.

To reply you must either login or sign up.