Forum › Citrus discussion

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I had a great time reading everyone's response, to be honest I jumped right into the outraged wagon when the fiance thing was revealed, but I know better than that, sometimes Miss. Saburouta-sensei likes to fuck us up with some drama plot and it quickly gets resolved... I don't try to think too much about the character's way of thinking cos then I'd hate most manga, or books, or movies, cos of course they can like, talk dammit, not just go to sleep clenching your fists and not fucking talking about things. But that's how it is and most likely it'll come out alright, I just want Mei to say "I love you Yuzu" and then they kiss, they hug, make out and have dinner or something >_>!!

joined Feb 2, 2016

So the manger and Mel are going get married this going no man land
That surprise was the fiancé. That everyone in that girl school have wait for them when they graduate high school

It's actually stated early on that most girls in the school have fiancés.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch02#13

Thank you lenne18. I forgot that was said in chapter 2

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Important note, at no point was it confirmed that Mei has a fiance. That is purely Matsuri's supposition. Himeko does not make a statement one way or the other; it is likely she doesn't know whether it's true or not, and Shirapon is also guessing. It seems unlikely, given what we know of Mei's family situation, that that would be the case. So this may just be yet another dramatic misunderstanding.

Shame about the art. Needless to say, this was a really important chapter. Everything came spilling out, to everyone. It's all out in the open now. It's fitting that one of the proper pages was page 16 though...that look. Matsuri is coming for you, Mei. Public and passionate Yuzu-love declarations may be your only chance this time.

Thanks for your work, Chaosteam. The ride continues.

Img_3902
joined Apr 18, 2013

We knew Mei had a fiance since the first or second chapter, Yuzu's homeroom teach (right?) So I feel like this isn't a huge shock. We used the engagement was cancelled after he was exposed to the school but that wasn't necessarily the case. Or maybe her grandfather immediately chose someone else. Only time will tell!

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

For all the complains and criticisms about Saburota being a lousy writer, the fact she gets so many people in a fuzz about the situations she puts the characters through is proof enough that she writes compelling characters.

Anyways

Important note, at no point was it confirmed that Mei has a fiance. That is purely Matsuri's supposition. Himeko does not make a statement one way or the other; it is likely she doesn't know whether it's true or not, and Shirapon is also guessing. It seems unlikely, given what we know of Mei's family situation, that that would be the case. So this may just be yet another dramatic misunderstanding.

Shame about the art. Needless to say, this was a really important chapter. Everything came spilling out, to everyone. It's all out in the open now. It's fitting that one of the proper pages was page 16 though...that look. Matsuri is coming for you, Mei. Public and passionate Yuzu-love declarations may be your only chance this time.

This is right on the money. People really needs to chill.

And here's a small tease of the anime that came with the digital version of YH

joined Mar 30, 2017

Errr didnt Mei break up with her fiance at literaly the begining of the manga?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Wait... I just realised something. Might be my memory failing, since I am reading these chapters as they come, rather than multiple per sitting, but have Yuzu and Mei not kept their relationship a secret? I remember Yuzu freaking out when she thought Shirapon-senpai will figure them out (which she did). Out of all of them in this scene, only Shirapon and Matsuri know the main couple is, well, a couple. Harumin and Momokino should be in the dark about all this, yet, when Matsuri has her outburst, effectively outing the main characters, no one reacts with surprise of any kind. Am I missing something here?

La Aoi Beau Chico
Boy%20blue
joined Oct 9, 2016

This story is shit. Whether good shit or bad shit, is up to you. But it certainly is... the shit.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

have Yuzu and Mei not kept their relationship a secret?

Yes.

Am I missing something here?

I think it's hilarious. They're probably that obvious to everyone but nobody paid any mind because it's very unlikely.

EDIT: From the looks of it, Harumin probably didn't hear it. She is more concerned about Matsuri rather than her outburst.

last edited at Oct 23, 2017 2:58AM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

[...] I was just stating my view and if you feel offended, then I'll say the same thing you said, that's your problem.

Apologies if my text sounded aggressive, it wasn't supposed to. Actually, I was trying to explain why people may like it (why it's popular) despite the fact that you, and others, think it's not good. My disgust about the "objectively" good type of argument is that most of the time people use it to state their opinion as facts(1), to make their critics indisputable and, most of the time, to shit on a story they don't like for free.

The second paragraph isn't directed at you (at all) but was to address the "it's already been done 12986 billions of times everywhere else" critic that is used for basically almost every piece of work out there (not only Citrus). Ironically, I could have sounded a bit annoyed right there.

(1)Specifically, why is this chapter's writing objectively bad? The main complain I've seen is that it comes from nowhere but I can, and I did, write that this isn't the case. The context of Mei's family and country perfectly justifies the (strong) possibility of Mei getting engaged once again to a man if she chose to pursue her objective : becoming the new director of the school. We understand what is going on, we know the stakes and it holds within the context of the story : how can it be bad writing "objectively"?

I was going to talk more about objectivity, but it already has been done in here and didn't lead anywhere.

I think it's hilarious. They're probably that obvious to everyone but nobody paid any mind because it's very unlikely.

EDIT: From the looks of it, Harumin probably didn't hear it. She is more concerned about Matsuri rather than her outburst.

I was wondering if all their closest friends knew already but were like "let's pretend we didn't see anything so they can be happy". Shirapon figured it out last volume and apparently Eyebrow-san knows about it judging by her lack of reaction and Shirapon's explanation about her worries.

For Harumin.. There is the possibility she didn't really get the outburst. Though, she probably knows Yuzu the best, she knows Yuzu as a lover, I think Yuzu has basically confessed during vol5 that she met her lover in the school and she probably figured it out during the trip. I don't know if she is protecting Matsuri or Yuzu or both by taking Matsuri away. I wonder what they said afterwards, probably nothing.

But seriously, if it's just the plain "I love you" then why go through the effort of having it interrupted? What's the point? And of course, since this is a manga, they don't talk to each other for the rest of the night or continue it the next day. Because that's how conversations work. /s

She said "Me too" as well, I didn't remember it, but that's pretty definite. Translator-san, I need you, where, word for word, is Mei interrupted in Japanese?

As to why it was interrupted, coincidence? Dramatic effect? Lazy writing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)? Mei already has acknowledged her feelings for Yuzu in vol4, this is just teasing I guess, I don't think it's that big of a deal story wise, it is just for Yuzu. Also, they could talk about something else, something less embarrassing. One of the issue they had since the beginning of the story is that Mei is bad at communicating. Not everybody has the strength to sit around a table a discuss calmly of every issue they have every days, though.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

I don't know if she is protecting Matsuri or Yuzu or both by taking Matsuri away.

Probably both. It's in her character.

I wonder what they said afterwards, probably nothing.

Probably in an omake, like all major HaruMatsu interactions.

last edited at Oct 23, 2017 11:11AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Ok, here's a look at the anime's staff

I wonder if Saburota is there?

And an amazing anon did a quick scan of the anthology book and shared it on the Citrus thread on /u/. The whole thing is pure gold but this was my favorite part

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

So there are 4 direction at this fork.1 Mel has another guy lined up for her hand ends with him being turned down. 2 Mel has no suiter and this was all a troll. 3 Mel has a fiance and wrote it down herself but it's Yuzu. 4 some bullshit to add more drama.

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

So there are 4 direction at this fork.1 Mel has another guy lined up for her hand ends with him being turned down. 2 Mel has no suiter and this was all a troll. 3 Mel has a fiance and wrote it down herself but it's Yuzu. 4 some bullshit to add more drama.

Mei*

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Oh, come on, man! Just let them happily fuck each other already!

Rin
joined Aug 4, 2017

Woof, that was a tough pill to swallow. I can let the fiance thing slip by since we're made aware that it happens in the beginning... But things probably would have rolled a lot smoother if we had seen arranged marriages happen throughout the manga for this moment, whether through background characters or even dialogue like "oh did you hear xxxx is getting married". That way if it was going to be important we wouldn't have forgotten it was a thing.

A shame the art is as rough as it gets. Looks like someone's been really busy with the anime and all the events going on. Hope to see it fixed for volume 9.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Chapter 14 has been updated thanks to Chaosteam (pages 4, 6, 7 that were unfinished by SU were replaced with finished ones from volume).

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

This not even including the fact Sabou can't even finish her shit and just delivers half-assed sketches.

It's the exception, not the norm.

why do most of you insist the art is "good"?

It looks pretty. A strange cross between a shoujo style and a BL style.

Also, nice to finally know how Yuzu's mom and Mei's father met. So I guess Shou just married her for convenience.

last edited at Oct 24, 2017 12:16PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Finally, the mystery of the parents marriage is solved. Yuzus mom never seemed like the type to marry for money so it was odd she would marry a man out of nowhere who was never going to be around.

last edited at Oct 24, 2017 12:19PM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Man,both Ume and Shou are such fucking screw ups that make Yuzu and Mei's own issues seem normal. No wonder Mei is a total social retard and Yuzu has an almost pathological need to help people.

Download
joined Jun 28, 2017

So the mom and dad never get married??

Lalala Ñañaña
Aaaaaaaa%20(1)
joined Oct 6, 2015

So the mom and dad never get married??

I'm sure they did, otherwise Yuzu wouldn't be an Aihara.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Ok, here's a look at the anime's staff

https://i.imgur.com/IJnXjoN.jpg

I wonder if Saburota is there?

And an amazing anon did a quick scan of the anthology book and shared it on the Citrus thread on /u/. The whole thing is pure gold but this was my favorite part

https://i.imgur.com/ELWt1sv.jpg

Meh I do love the art ... but what I want to know is what is this and what is going on??!!

I'd love to see a picture of Saburouta, see if she looks pleased making us suffer :3

last edited at Oct 24, 2017 10:53PM by Nezchan

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Love me some backstory. The author really does good bonus chapters. It's a bit retroactive, but that explains or enhances Ume's distress when Mei was taken away when she knew her only for weeks.

I'd like to see more of how Ume and Shou ended to love/appreciate each other. Because Ume seemed pretty fond of Shou in the first chapters, so I think there's more than the arrangement. To be honest, I'd like to see more of Ume period.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

(1)Specifically, why is this chapter's writing objectively bad? The main complain I've seen is that it comes from nowhere but I can, and I did, write that this isn't the case. The context of Mei's family and country perfectly justifies the (strong) possibility of Mei getting engaged once again to a man if she chose to pursue her objective : becoming the new director of the school. We understand what is going on, we know the stakes and it holds within the context of the story : how can it be bad writing "objectively"?

Here're my 2 cents on why most of us think that the writing in this chap is bad, assuming that Mei actually has a new fiancé she's been hiding the entire time. The fiancé drama is brought up in vol.1 & seemingly has been dealt with in that same volume since the issue is left in the backburner for 8 fucking volumes. Then it suddenly get brought up again here with no prior lead-up. Of course people are going to complain that the development is pulled straight out of the author's ass. This same development could've been acceptable if there were some sort of foreshadowing, like what was pointed out here:

But things probably would have rolled a lot smoother if we had seen arranged marriages happen throughout the manga for this moment, whether through background characters or even dialogue like "oh did you hear xxxx is getting married". That way if it was going to be important we wouldn't have forgotten it was a thing.

The bad writing here is pretty much in the execution. Hey, it could be a red herring, tho that would render this entire chap pointless, but we'll see.

To reply you must either login or sign up.