Forum › Tonari no Robot discussion

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I'm just frustrated because there's too many loose ends. If you bother to make a plot about a love story between a robot and a human, then you better see it through, until death do them part.

Or until one of them realises the glory of machinery and becomes a cyborg because cybernetics is the true way to go.

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

The ending is quite open though.

Chika is supposed to have had a a few lovers, but no mention of their gender. So maybe it was just a case of "If it's you, it's OK".

We get it. Chika loves Hiro as much as anyone loves their car, their job or their lover.

It's quite convoluted.

You're reading this quite differently than most of us

Seriously. How do you read this as an open ending when the last chapter literally has Chika learning Hiro's birthstone because she wants to buy rings.

Who she dated or slept with over the last 10 years is completely irrelevant (which is why none of their genders were mentioned), and was simply there to show that she tried to find love with someone else, but kept failing because she couldn't let go of Hiro. In the same way, Hiro kept that space in her memory completely open in preparation for the next time she got to see Chika.

Tumblr_nj0kgfmtjf1r8wxq1o1_540
joined Dec 28, 2016

Chika aged like fine milk

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

The ending doesn't really answers, or even attempts to answer, the questions implied about having a near-human robot as a lover.

It just ends with a timeskip and an admission by Chika that she loves Hiro after all and that it's normal.

What about when she grows much older? As Hiro is a very expensive machine, she's not going to see her often. And the researchers are under no obligation to keep her running. How does that affect their relationship? That to other peope, Hiro is just "a thing". One thing is for sure is that they can't get "physical". So Chika is going to go full abstinence? Or have a human lover on the side? Maybe to have kids?

I'm just frustrated because there's too many loose ends. If you bother to make a plot about a love story between a robot and a human, then you better see it through, until death do them part.

I can't answer most of your questions, but there's one in particular that we know the answer for:

What about when she grows much older? As Hiro is a very expensive machine, she's not going to see her often. And the researchers are under no obligation to keep her running. How does that affect their relationship?

We've hear the answer for this from Praha's creator. He said he hopes "Acchan" serves as a stand-by person for when humanity is no more, which means the objetive of Praha's whole investigation is most likely towards self sustainability.

We also know Hiro was asked to think about no longer having those she cares about with her, and we've seen the process she undertook when her "father" died. So we most likely can infer what will happen when Chika is no more. We know Hiro makes "tags" specifically for those she cares about and the things they care about, so it's very possible "her heart will go on" once Chika is no more.

Also, Chika seems very aware about the whole "immortal robot" thing, even at 16, so we can guess at 27 she's more aware of it.

Also, why not Chika having a lover? I'm pretty sure, with the right amount of information, Hiro would conclude that's the more logical course of action

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

The ending doesn't really answers, or even attempts to answer, the questions implied about having a near-human robot as a lover.

It just ends with a timeskip and an admission by Chika that she loves Hiro after all and that it's normal.

What about when she grows much older? As Hiro is a very expensive machine, she's not going to see her often. And the researchers are under no obligation to keep her running. How does that affect their relationship? That to other peope, Hiro is just "a thing". One thing is for sure is that they can't get "physical". So Chika is going to go full abstinence? Or have a human lover on the side? Maybe to have kids?

I can't answer most of your questions, but there's one in particular that we know the answer for:

What about when she grows much older? As Hiro is a very expensive machine, she's not going to see her often. And the researchers are under no obligation to keep her running. How does that affect their relationship?

We've hear the answer for this from Praha's creator. He said he hopes "Acchan" serves as a stand-by person for when humanity is no more, which means the objetive of Praha's whole investigation is most likely towards self sustainability.

We also know Hiro was asked to think about no longer having those she cares about with her, and we've seen the process she undertook when her "father" died. So we most likely can infer what will happen when Chika is no more. We know Hiro makes "tags" specifically for those she cares about and the things they care about, so it's very possible "her heart will go on" once Chika is no more.

Also, Chika seems very aware about the whole "immortal robot" thing, even at 16, so we can guess at 27 she's more aware of it.

Also, why not Chika having a lover? I'm pretty sure, with the right amount of information, Hiro would conclude that's the more logical course of action

Also, this is Nishi Uko. They rarely explore the deeper questions raised by their work. Shouldn't come to a surprise here. In fact, this might be their most thoughtfully researched job, but it was more focused on explained the robotics (Which, quite frankly, is my fucking jam) than exploring the repercussions

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

To be fair, you could spend your entire life theorizing about the social and ethical implications of sentient robots. This story is predominantly lesbian romance; speculative writing on AI and robotics is secondary to that.

I'm guessing Nishi Uko wanted to keep the series relatively short, and prioritized the former over the latter.

last edited at Sep 13, 2017 9:30PM

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

Not much happened at the end but if was much more happier ending than expected.

I'm glad we can got a yuri manga with such an unique premise.

joined Mar 7, 2012

A brilliant work. The ending was great and adding more "plot points" to tie up "loose ends" would only dilute the emotional impact of the carefully scripted dialogue and panels.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I hate to bring this back but

WHERE'S THAT DOUCHE THAT DARED TO SWEAR THIS WOULD END UP WITH CHIKA BEING MARRIED TO SOME DUDE?!

Right

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

there is a minor error in ch 8, pg 4. it was fixed in the board http://safe.yuriproject.net/src/Robot8_pg04.png

joined Oct 17, 2016

That ending made me tear up. This manga was fantastic at what it did

Bleach_589___giselle_gewelle_alux-d7quz%20(1)
joined Dec 2, 2014

Considering the Sex, I guess this would be a very, very awkward talk to the creators. But if they can creat AI advanced enough to recreat love, I guess an artifical vagina wouldn't be very hard? Awkward, but probably not very hard. I mean, I would love all this scene. Imagine the awkwardness when they want to go intimate and Hiro asks for updates that makes er able to have sex. I mean, I don't even think they would have to creat something new, realisticly a sexbot would be the second or third use of advanced robot-technology commercialized.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Considering the Sex, I guess this would be a very, very awkward talk to the creators. But if they can creat AI advanced enough to recreat love, I guess an artifical vagina wouldn't be very hard? Awkward, but probably not very hard. I mean, I would love all this scene. Imagine the awkwardness when they want to go intimate and Hiro asks for updates that makes er able to have sex. I mean, I don't even think they would have to creat something new, realisticly a sexbot would be the second or third use of advanced robot-technology commercialized.

I agree. We can kind of already see that these scientists have some absurd level of resources at their disposal and are perfectly happy to use that for research of very questionable utility (like Chika-chan2.0, which seems like quite a large investment for a pretty flimsy justification). They seem hell-bent on making android robots blend into human society perfectly, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some robots capable of sex already.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

there is a minor error in ch 8, pg 4. it was fixed in the board http://safe.yuriproject.net/src/Robot8_pg04.png

error fixed https://yuriproject.net/tonari-no-robot-8/

44716723_p17
joined Aug 9, 2015

I-I'm n-not crying, you are ;_____;

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

I really do love how all the scientists act like dads.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Guys, chills, it's Nya-chan. You can play a drinking game by downing a shot every time they post positive comments here and stay mostly sober. :-)

I'm not going to forget that quote this early. Man, that was pure gold, you made my day. xD

joined Sep 25, 2013

this is a fucking great.
i'm glad waiting this.

joined Apr 7, 2017

Caught up on this now it's all uploaded here... I'm so glad those two got their happy ending!

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I came for the yuri, but stayed for what turned out to be some surprisingly solid science fiction. I was expecting wacky robot hijinks, but this series actually has some pretty clever takes on classic sci fi questions like "do robot feelings count?" and "why even have humanoid robots?" (I especially enjoyed the answer to this question).
The way the robot works is very thought out and logical (well, maybe except for the super hacking and some of the more sentimental things, but I can live with that), a lot more grounded than I expected from a series about a high school girl falling in love with a robot.

Another pleasant surprise was the researcher's attitudes. In nearly every other story about androids there would be a lot of mustache twirling and drama about keeping the robot secret or designing it for ulterior purposes, but these guys are more like parents to her, and care for her both as a machine and a person at the same time. That feels refreshing, and makes sense. It also makes totally sense that when their robot falls in love, they see it as an interesting engineering challenge instead of going all "love bad! We tampered in God's domain!".

The only thing I didn't really like was how abruptly it goes from them finally dating again and them getting married, in the span of a single panel. That was a bit jarring.

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

I agree. We can kind of already see that these scientists have some absurd level of resources at their disposal and are perfectly happy to use that for research of very questionable utility (like Chika-chan2.0, which seems like quite a large investment for a pretty flimsy justification). They seem hell-bent on making android robots blend into human society perfectly, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some robots capable of sex already.

I dunno, it seems like there actually would be a large market for robots that were modeled, physically and "mentally", after dead loved ones. It wouldn't exactly be healthy, but that hasn't stopped anybody before.

last edited at Sep 21, 2017 1:20PM

joined Dec 4, 2016

Anyone know the other robot series about love between the female creator and the robot? I read it a long time ago but forget the title.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Anyone know the other robot series about love between the female creator and the robot? I read it a long time ago but forget the title.

Linkage

joined Dec 4, 2016

Linkage

Thanks

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

It took me this long to realize that the title is likely a reference to Tonari no Totoro...

last edited at Sep 26, 2017 12:39PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.