Forum › Tonari no Robot discussion

3baa1ab64dd532b6adbdcf6b46497e76
joined Mar 25, 2015

Overall, by the end of the series, I like how the research team just quietly never did the traditional "We're working on a robot!" cliches, like responding to unintended behavior in the AI by trying to destroy it or antagonize it. They seem to have mostly let Praha continue to evolve for better or worse, to the point where she's apparently learned to lie to their faces (a white lie, but still).

Also, I'm a little shaky on Praha counting her age starting from when she was proposed in a paper...isn't that like a human counting their age from when their parents decided to have a kid?

[commie]%20go!%20princess%20precure%20-%2013%20[51546f94].mkv_snapshot_09.42_[2016.12.19_12.33.57]
joined Dec 10, 2014

i want more of this. i want praha and her wife to move in together and get to have all sorts of new experiences.

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

IM NOT CRYING I SWEAR

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Very nice ending. I'm not exactly sure how Praha learned to say/think "This is the person I love," but I'm glad she did.

last edited at Sep 12, 2017 4:15PM

joined Apr 27, 2015

eee what a nice conclusion

joined Apr 15, 2013

Happy end? I think so. Good ending to a great series.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

The blush response seems to be a killer feature. And Hiro-chan can be really smooth. This was a great ride.

Overall, by the end of the series, I like how the research team just quietly never did the traditional "We're working on a robot!" cliches, like responding to unintended behavior in the AI by trying to destroy it or antagonize it.

Exactly. That was a nice change from Linkage (although Linkage was neat, too) and the others.

last edited at Sep 12, 2017 4:57PM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

My favorite part is that even to the end, Hiro feels like a robot. Oftentimes these robot romances are way too human - we just have to take the author's word for her being a robot. But here, her "love" feels like a robot's love.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

My favorite part is that even to the end, Hiro feels like a robot. Oftentimes these robot romances are way too human - we just have to take the author's word for her being a robot. But here, her "love" feels like a robot's love.

Yeah, I really appreciated that the author acknowledged that in all likelihood the way an AI would experience interpersonal attachments would differ greatly from a human and their version of "love" could be largely alien to how we define it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaa2
joined May 16, 2012

IM SOBBING THIS WAS A GREAT ENDING

joined Feb 15, 2013

The ending is definitely rushed. But it is still a happy ending, so I will take it.

It's funny how unlike the "Chika-chan" robot who imitate the real Chika-chan, Hiro-chan actually is a real AI who develop up her personality and etc from scratch. All thank to Chika-chan

joined Mar 25, 2013

I'm honestly angry at Chika for 'dropping' Hiro. They were constantly upgrading her and adding functions/hardware and she herself was constantly evolving and they could've reached the point in the last two chapters much sooner if she hadn't left her behind and thought 'Better save myself some heartache and get away'.

Before people start telling me off I would've done the exact same thing as Chika, that's why I'm so pissed off at her. Because it was Nishi Uko I thought she would not have made that plot decision.

Still, the story was brilliant (aside from that stupidity) and it would've been nice for there to be a couple chapters of Hiro without Chika around her and the scientists. Could've explored her 'feelings' even better and her feeling lonely and other things.

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

beautiful series. im sad to see it finally over

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I hate to bring this back but

WHERE'S THAT DOUCHE THAT DARED TO SWEAR THIS WOULD END UP WITH CHIKA BEING MARRIED TO SOME DUDE?!

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

These scientific guys should let her go already and give her independence. And help with maintenance whenever required, since it is their responsibility.

I know the author is trying to make them appear like decent people, but it's almost like slavery. She is just as intelligent as a human, so she should be granted that statue and not be treated like an experiment.

onlyyuriaccount4202
Animepencilgirl%201
joined Dec 2, 2016

wow what an anticlimactic ending

That was just quick as fuck. Great series anyways even if the ending was shit.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Very nice ending. I'm not exactly sure how Praha learned to say/think "This is the person I love," but I'm glad she did.

I like to think that it was that last piece of missing data on Chika that finally allowed Praha to infer the nature of their relationship.

Yeah, I really appreciated that the author acknowledged that in all likelihood the way an AI would experience interpersonal attachments would differ greatly from a human and their version of "love" could be largely alien to how we define it.

And despite that, isn't it interesting how the rather alien responses Praha displays are still easily identifiable with human falling-in-love?

WHERE'S THAT DOUCHE THAT DARED TO SWEAR THIS WOULD END UP WITH CHIKA BEING MARRIED TO SOME DUDE?!

Ah yes, there was a comment like that here a while ago...

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

These scientific guys should let her go already and give her independence. And help with maintenance whenever required, since it is their responsibility.

I know the author is trying to make them appear like decent people, but it's almost like slavery. She is just as intelligent as a human, so she should be granted that statue and not be treated like an experiment.

That would completely beat the purpose of Praha to begin with. Praha was built so that she would be as "human" as possible, in order for them to studying her. "Letting her go" would be an irresponsible thing to do from the investigative side of the story. They allow her to experience life as much as possible, but Praha's purpose is still research

I mean, think about this for a second: Praha very clearly is an extremely advanced robot and she's constantly being upgraded. Translate that into money and think if it would make sense for them to "let her go"

last edited at Sep 12, 2017 6:51PM

joined Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, the ending was quick but it seems like Uki-sensei only had one volume to do the story in, and she had to wrap up all her ideas in one chapter. I'm glad it ended as happily as can be, and many feels were had on the way. I hope this artist keeps doing lots of yuri.

joined Nov 14, 2013

Also, I'm a little shaky on Praha counting her age starting from when she was proposed in a paper...isn't that like a human counting their age from when their parents decided to have a kid?

Well to a robot, particularly a self-evolving one like Hiro, their own data would be everything - like a combination of their genes and soul - so the date when her initial primary data loops were published is probably the day they consider most important to their own conception, so it would be a reasonable birthday for them to infer.

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

im so glad i kept on reading, when i first saw that it was such a stab in the heart

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Such a typical end. That last chapter, then the reunion years later - it's a narrative mechanism I just hate (in the sense that it's so often used it just gets boring, not that it's particularly atrocious or anything on itself).

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

2 years for only 8 chapters huh... well it had a decent end. An interesting take on robots and a not so typical love story.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

That would completely beat the purpose of Praha to begin with. Praha was built so that she would be as "human" as possible, in order for them to studying her. "Letting her go" would be an irresponsible thing to do from the investigative side of the story. They allow her to experience life as much as possible, but Praha's purpose is still research

I mean, think about this for a second: Praha very clearly is an extremely advanced robot and she's constantly being upgraded. Translate that into money and think if it would make sense for them to "let her go"

But from an ethical standpoint it's incredibly dubious especially when you start asking the question "Is a sapient AI a person or an object?" because to anyone who views her as a person there's little moral difference between Hiro's situation and a child being raised under laboratory conditions.

But from an ethical standpoint it's incredibly dubious especially when you start asking the question "Is a sapient AI a person or an object?" because to anyone who views her as a person there's little moral difference between Hiro's situation and a child being raised under laboratory conditions.

I believe that she does qualify as a person, even if not human. And while she was raised in a lab environment she was given decent amount of freedom. She interacted with her school peers freely, and she was able to build a 10+ year relation with Chika. So the lab environment was merely a varient of parenting warranted by her unique existence.

To reply you must either login or sign up.