Forum › Yuzumori-san discussion

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Pointless drama in a relatively innocent manga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP4JtsBnUQ

I want you to look at the first several dozen pages and tell me if it was easy to get to the point to call this manga "relatively innocent", as an audience.

Look, things were getting progressively more pure here. Yuzumori and Mimika were playing fighting games... Mimika was learning to keep her gay little heart in check... life was good. But then it pulled a Citrus and introduced a character who exists to get in-between the main characters' relationship and now everything's fucked.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I want you to look at the first several dozen pages and tell me if it was easy to get to the point to call this manga "relatively innocent", as an audience.

More like pointless and jarring external conflict in a manga that already has plenty of reasonable conflicts to work with.

Kaede
joined Nov 20, 2016

More like pointless and jarring external conflict in a manga that already has plenty of reasonable conflicts to work with.

On the other hand... Did it really? Mimika and Yuzumori were finally settling into a comfortable platonic complacency. Perhaps they need a little push like this to make them grow even closer.

Mayuri_icon
joined Jun 24, 2015

Look, things were getting progressively more pure here. Yuzumori and Mimika were playing fighting games... Mimika was learning to keep her gay little heart in check... life was good. But then it pulled a Citrus and introduced a character who exists to get in-between the main characters' relationship and now everything's fucked.

I'm stealing "pulled a Citrus" to describe unnecessary additional character for drama in yuris now. Pulled a Shitrus maybe jaykay

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Given the double-plus ungood nature of their relationship, it's not really that bizarre that they're coming under outside pressure.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

What's going on in this discussion?

Purr-bulence
H10620%20-%20copia
joined Jun 3, 2017

Long post, and I hope you can bear with my Engrish, but here’s some speculations on why Ririha is “bullying” Yuzumori based on what we know so far.

We can all agree that Yuzumori doesn’t get along with her classmates because she doesn’t find interesting enough what they do or talk about. But, as a kid her age, Ririha probably believes that somebody who doesn’t spend time with their classmates must find boring, therefore, looking down upon what they like and what they do (and looking down means that you put yourself above the others).

When Ririha is first introduced she’s commenting boys with her friends. The impression I got is that of a young leader. Of course, they could be just good friends, but leaders need approval and acceptance, and having somebody in your classroom of the likes of Yuzumori who “maybe” used to be your friend (but I doubt this being the case since, if you’re friend to somebody, you’d know if they have siblings) as much as having somebody who’s never shown any interest into you can be challenging, not only getting on your nerves because they don’t see you fascinating enough to befriend you, but because it implies a negative opinion on your persona. Basically, Yuzumori can’t be bother by Ririha, but Ririha is upset by Yuzumori’s lack of interest in her.

When Ririha and the other girls cross path with Yuzumori, she’s the only one concerned with Yuzumori’s presence. I suppose it hurts her, it offends her that Yuzumori so blatantly ignores her while the other girls don’t seem to mind it (one of them actually has to think about who’s this Kaede Ririha’s mentioning). Then, Ririha chances upon Mimika and Yuzumori and she witnesses Yuzumori’s cute and warm smile. She is stroked by that: she’s not glaring, there are many emotions in her stare (and when it comes to it, Ejima Eri makes most of them tricky ones to crack), but definitely there’s not just anger in her eye.
My point: Ririha has romantic interests toward Yuzumori. I suppose seeing Yuzumori smiling moved something in her: she understands that “stoic Kaede”, the girl she calls by her first name - which suggests a level of intimacy that, despite she keeps it for herself, Ririha definitely feels - that same girl she likes has somebody whom she deems appealing enough to be wanting to spend time with them, somebody who makes her SMILE. (and, doesn't it irritate you when the girl you like is happy because of someone else?)

I doubt we’ll get much drama out of this, but I’d like it if she’ll help to push Yuzumori/Mimika relationship to a different level. Maybe Mimika will have to prove that she does love only Yuzumori. Maybe it’ll clear Yuzumori’s mind on what exactly she feels for Mimika (although we get a glimpse of that every time Mimika makes cute faces and Yuzumori's eyes shine and her heartbeat accelerate).

Also, there’s that one detail that never cease to amuse me when somebody glances at their love interest in a manga, sakura petals. We got them when Mimika spots Yuzumori the first time, we got them now when Mimika says “let’s play lots and lots” and Yuzumori’s looking at her, and we got them when Ririha watches Yuzumori walking away at loss of words.

On a side note: I don’t agree with Ririha being a yandere, not even with her bullying Yuzumori (I need more than a kid "threatening" another kid to say they’re bullying them). She comes at Yuzumori alone and she’s probably too scared of her own feelings that the ending result is more aggressive than she intended to. (She might just want to rob Yuzumori’s first kiss.)

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Given the double-plus ungood nature of their relationship, it's not really that bizarre that they're coming under outside pressure.

I mean it's pretty bizarre that that pressure is in the form of a grade schooler who talks like a shonen anime villain.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Long post, and I hope you can bear with my Engrish

[cogent, eloquently-argued analysis]

You non-native English speakers are always so adorable with how humble you are.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Long post, and I hope you can bear with my Engrish

[cogent, eloquently-argued analysis]

You non-native English speakers are always so adorable with how humble you are.

Seriously that was unnecessary of you to say that.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

There's plenty of ways Ririha can "rob" Yuzumori from Mimika.

Just denouncing her as a pervert lolicon should be enough to make their relationship "complicated".

I don't see why that would work. She's a little kid making allegations about a girl, in a sexist society. Sexism cuts different ways--people aren't going to be disposed to see a woman, let alone a high school girl, as a sexual aggressor. And they're not going to be disposed to pay attention to the hysterical irresponsible claims of a little kid--maybe if her allegations fit a classic frame, like if she was accusing a male stranger, and if the victim backed her up, but only then. In a case like this? Likely they wouldn't even give her the respect of politely doubting her, they'd just scold her for being a troublemaker/having an overactive imagination. And when Yuzumori-san calmly and maturely ripped her claims to shreds? Fuggedaboutit.
So yeah, I don't buy her ability to successfully blackmail; she's got nothing on them. I don't even see how she has a basis to suspect what's going on. It's not like we have any indication Yuzumori-san has a history of lesbianism (which would be kind of bizarre at her age). All she can plausibly know is that Yuzumori-san has a friend or something who she seems happy to be with. Of course, she could lie and have her lie accidentally happen to be the truth--but as I said, I don't see why she would be believed.

that's why female pedo is everywhere nowadays....
damn sexism.

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

My point: Ririha has romantic interests toward Yuzumori. I suppose seeing Yuzumori smiling moved something in her: she understands that “stoic Kaede”, the girl she calls by her first name - which suggests a level of intimacy that, despite she keeps it for herself, Ririha definitely feels - that same girl she likes has somebody whom she deems appealing enough to be wanting to spend time with them, somebody who makes her SMILE. (and, doesn't it irritate you when the girl you like is happy because of someone else?)

One thing I have to disagree with you on, is that I think she won't have romantic interest in Yuzu. From the way she's been presented she could also be something like a close friend she grew up with that she refused to see anymore. There's no real signs that she likes Yuzumori in any other way than that, and Yuzu could have just suddenly cut off contact with her making her spiteful.

My theory is that she was probably close only with Yuzu growing up (shy girl maybe?) and when Yuzumori stop hangging around with her she felt the need to get back at her by becoming friends with lots of other kids while Yuzumori was to be alone and sad. But when she sees Yuzu having fun with Mimika she gets angry because Yuzu is still enjoying herself and feels no need to become her friend again. That her plan backfired and Yuzumori isn't alone or sad.

I do also have to point out she is okay with getting in Yuzu's personal space and the fact with the names suggests deep friendship. Odd though that she hasn't stopped calling Yuzu by her first name if they don't talk anymore....

Well I dunno, maybe you're right and I'm reading things wrong. ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Lol what

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Long post, and I hope you can bear with my Engrish, but here’s some speculations on why Ririha is “bullying” Yuzumori based on what we know so far.

I think you're probably right. From the perspective of the series as a whole, the author loves these dramatic cliffhanger endings, with giant faces twisted into some intense emotion taking up the whole page. So far, none of them have really followed through with a sudden major development. The issues driving the plot are consistent, and develop slowly.

Purr-bulence
H10620%20-%20copia
joined Jun 3, 2017

Well I dunno, maybe you're right and I'm reading things wrong. ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

I quote that :) Maybe I’m just looking for hints that she might have hidden feelings for Yuzumori because it would be the least probable, so coming out as shocking if proved correct (and the author does use tragic cliffhanger endings which resolve into no major drama, but heart, or so to speak, matters).

I thought over them being friends until something occurred and they took separate ways. Your theory doesn’t necessarily go against the one I hypothesized above but, whatever the trigger was, it clearly affected Ririha the worst. Considering the bitter way she comes at Yuzumori, even if they used to be friends, she did care about Yuzumori more than the girl probably did for her (you can only get that much venom out of somebody if their heart, or pride, is broken – or maybe Yuzumori conceals her feelings better). For a moment I also considered that Yuzumori being Yuzumori, she must have all the boys’ interest, which can instigate jealousy and rivalry into the other classmates, but it still looks like Ririha is the only one sensitive to Yuzumori’s existence.

Calling somebody by their first name doesn’t necessarily mean they were friends, it can also show a general disrespectful manner to address somebody despite your level of kinship (or lack of).

Anyway, I’m definitely looking forward to see more of Ririha. Maybe she will befriend Shiori and they’ll be cheeky together, maybe we’ll get a onee/loli “Two and Two” kinda story. (JK)

last edited at Jun 5, 2017 1:36AM

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

What's a massive kabedon...

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

When elementary children speak like a middle aged revenge prone antagonist in a shounen manga

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

She probably picked it up from reading manga.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The new raw is out... You won't believe what happens next!!!!!

joined Dec 28, 2016

Hmm I skimmed through it, but lots and lots of text this time. If no one puts out a translation by tomorrow night I guess I'll pull out my dictionary and work my way through it to read it.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

The new raw is out... You won't believe what happens next!!!!!

http://yawaspi.com/yuzumori/comic/025_001.html

Hummm

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Aww Mimika......

15350726_1165144573533412_2770757831619998524_n
joined Aug 30, 2016

I Love it <3

Dad
joined Oct 17, 2016

Just so nobody freaks out Dumbnut still working on the translation. It might take some extra time. Here's the new Raw while we wait in the meantime.
http://yawaspi.com/yuzumori/comic/026_001.html

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Mimika hold yourself you greedy lolicon!

last edited at Jul 2, 2017 2:12PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.