Forum › Anime season

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'll add here that while I don't mind that people post spoilers, you all (not just you, musicman) have to tag them as above, at least within the first few days of the episode coming out.

last edited at Nov 17, 2016 3:59PM

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

What 3 yuri anime? You're not counting Scum's Wish as yuri, right?

yes

Kuzu no Honkai (next season) - it does have yuri.
Netsuzou Trap
Citrus

They are all equally fucking terrible.
And most ppl here will watch them anyways,

Well, I do need something too complain about!

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

yes

Netsuzou Trap
Citrus

It does have yuri, but it's not yuri. It's a big difference.
I also disagree that Citrus and Netsuzou Trap are "fucking terrible", but I don't think we can actually discuss something so subjetive.

last edited at Nov 17, 2016 6:21PM

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

yes

Netsuzou Trap
Citrus

I also disagree that Citrus and Netsuzou Trap are "fucking terrible", but I don't think we can actually discuss something so subjetive.

Based on what other people said, Kuzu no Honkai is hardly what I'd consider "real yuri" or at least yuri that's anywhere near remotely satisfying for all those people who want more yuri in their lives. So, yeah, I'm avoiding that. I read the first seven chapters of NTR (all the chapters on Dynasty... where are the other chapters at?), and, while I hated them... well, it can't get any worse, right? I'll give it a try when it releases. I haven't heard good things about Citrus, but its anime release is as a good a reason as any to give it a whirl and form my own opinion about it.

Also, Kobayashi-san is releasing next January as well, so I suppose that there actually are three yuri anime coming out next year. Is this another Year of Yuri?! ... Two out of three of the currently announced yuri anime are trash (to me), but Citrus is popular, so hopefully it'll be successful and convince other studios to make more yuri (or perhaps even make some subtextual couples canon... coughcoughhibikeuphoniumcoughcough). Not sure how successful Kobayashi and NTR are, but they're fairly long-running for yuri manga, so I presume that they're doing pretty well.

last edited at Nov 17, 2016 6:31PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Kuzu no Honkai is kind of half fucking terrible, and half actually really interesting. The plot itself is dumb and soapy and has way too much pointless scheming just for the sake of people being terrible.

The interesting part is the way it approaches HS romance as much more about A) being horny and wanting to get laid, and B) as a way of seeking status among your peers, being cool and being perceived to be sexually active and desirable, and the feeling of self esteem that comes from being desired. The main couple aren't really into each other, but they're both cool and so they start dating even though they're actually into other, unavailable people. And then from there they start a sexual relationship as well, not because true wuv but just because it feels good and they're horny teenagers.

The main girl's best female friend is in love with her, and after some stuff happens they start having sex. And she actually thinks that it feels a lot better than when she's with her phony boyfriend. But she apologizes and breaks it off because she's still not into her friend, and doesn't want to hurt her, she feels guilty for leading her on just to feel good and feel wanted.

So on the one hand it's not yuri, but on the other hand the main female character definitely seems to be bi, her friend -with-benefits being female is not why she breaks things off. Though I haven't read the more recent chapters since then so things may have changed, I dunno.

I think it's just going to depend a lot on the adaptation, and how in depth they're going to explore her sexuality. It's an important, if occasionally fuzzy, theme in the manga, but I can't imagine the anime is going to be quite so explicit about things.

last edited at Nov 17, 2016 6:53PM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Interesting scene in FliFla 7: Cocona asking if she meant love as a friend and Papika asking why she would ask that. There's no way that dialogue was there for no reason.

There's way too much build for a yuri end that It'll be sad if it doesn't happens. (what is more likely)

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Flip Flappers has been doing a lot to question Cocona's sexuality. The latest episode very nearly made it explicit

The new WIXOSS anime should've adapted the Re/Verse story, I wanted to see Alfou animated :(

I'd have preferred Peeping Analyze, but, yeah, both of the spinoff manga are better than Lostorage

Kuzu no Honkai

Well, that doesn't sound offensive the way these things can be, but I don't think I'll be watching it, either

Oh, shouldn't there have been a Regalia episode today?

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

They are both pretty badly written shoddy soap operas.

I am not telling you to not like them tho, you can like them as much as you want.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Based on what other people said, Kuzu no Honkai is hardly what I'd consider "real yuri" or at least yuri that's anywhere near remotely satisfying for all those people who want more yuri in their lives.

I duno, I just read like the last 5-6 chapters translated, it seemed like the usual yuri stuff to me. Overly dramatic and all.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

duno how Cool Kyoushinsha's anime's have been doing, but hes had 2 series animated so far(?) and 1 of them got 2 seasons. But its short animes, not full 20-ish minute ones.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

You know you can edit your posts, right? Or just wait a bit to finish writing a long one?

duno how Cool Kyoushinsha's anime's have been doing, but hes had 2 series animated so far(?) and 1 of them got 2 seasons. But its short animes, not full 20-ish minute ones.

That's all correct, yes. I think Danna was fairly popular, which is impressive for a short

joined Feb 15, 2013

If it ever happens, my prediction of the first Yuri anime that can actually go popular mainstream will have ro be
- romcom or shounenish~ish (two popular mainstream genre)
- no Yuri bait that does not go through
- the main character actively in an established relationship by the end (in oppose to Nanoha and Madoka which were all gay as heck, but was never acknowledged as yuri)
- little angst, as ordinary people are not trained to handle Yuri angst

Which spark the question, which Yuri manga/ novel/ game have these characteristics? I think Spirits on the roof is a decent choice if they focus on romcom part. But any other idea?

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 1:37AM

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

I want them to animate Girl Friends! Pretty please?

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I want them to animate Girl Friends! Pretty please?

I'd do almost anything

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

on the bright side if these soap yuri anime does not sell simply meant no more soap yuri for a while!! just make gamma anime dammit!

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

If it ever happens, my prediction of the first Yuri anime that can actually go popular mainstream will have ro be
- the main character actively in an established relationship by the end (in oppose to Nanoha and Madoka which were all gay as heck, but was never acknowledged as yuri)

Which spark the question, which Yuri manga/ novel/ game have these characteristics? I think Spirits on the roof is a decent choice if they focus on romcom part. But any other idea?

Anime success is a pretty unpredictable thing. There isn't really a formula for it and sometimes things no one expected to sell become hits. We can't know if angst don't sell, for example, because there isn't a good example. I think Citrus and Netsuzou has as much chance of being a success as any other romance yuri out there.

I don't know what manga or anime would have more chance of being a hit. There isn't that much, tbh. Maybe Murcielago and Happy Sugar Life, as Japan loves their psycho girls. I think a Flowers adaptation has way more chance of selling than a Kindred Spirits one. The novel is already more popular and it reminds Maritime, that was popular on its time.

Actually, a better chance of a hit yuri anime would be an anime original. An Idol anime with canon yuri end for example would be the safest bet.

on the bright side if these soap yuri anime does not sell simply meant no more soap yuri for a while!! just make gamma anime dammit!

Actually, that will mean no more yuri anime for a while. Japanese producers will take it as "yuri doesn't sell" instead of "drama doesn't sell".
But if it fails to sell but still make the mangas more successful, there's a chance of more yuri animes from other publishers. Yaoi anime rarely sells, but they still make them because of that.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

I'd rather have an original anime about yuri, with drama and romance, no fanservice and decent staff. Hell, put Urobutcher and Ikuhara in the same team and hope for the best.

Something like When Marnie Was There but without bait would be a dream come true.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Happy Sugar Life

I want to see this animated, not going to lie.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Flip Flappers has been doing a lot to question Cocona's sexuality. The latest episode very nearly made it explicit

Yeah, the entire episode seemed like it was about Cocona's feelings for Papika. I'm putting my speculation under spoilers for anyone who hasn't started watching Flip Flappers yet (but everyone should watch it!). The yuri elements have been getting more overt and it's all obviously building up to something. At this point, my biggest fear is that Cocona and Papika will be revealed to be two halves of the same person, which would be cheap and disappointing. I got really worried that last week's episode was pointing towards that until I understood what was going on. The dialogue about loving different versions of a person has to be there for a reason, but I don't know if it's about the senpai or Pure Illusion or both.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

My biggest fears with Flip Flappers actually is if they're actually related...like sisters or something. Being the same person is pretty unlikely.

Cocona questioning if Papika meant love as a friend and Papika asking the reason for the question is the kind of scene we usually don't see on yuri subtext animes, though.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

There's been some bits that make we wonder if Cocona and Papika have some greater connection, but "Cocona might be gay" has been a strong enough theme that I'm not too worried about it (seriously, that bit with dress Papika alone...)

My main fear for the show is actually that they'll never develop Papika beyond a generic manic pixie dream girl

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Such as "Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane"(a romcom'ish 4koma yuri)?
It already ended, but the things i'd do to get it animated..

Happy Sugar Life

I want to see this animated, not going to lie.

That'd be nice.
Would also cross-appeal to the edgy crowd.

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 8:42AM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Ppl say theres yaoi anime that sells, but i hardly see any actual yaoi per season, is there something I'm missing? Is it subtext?

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

My biggest fears with Flip Flappers actually is if they're actually related...like sisters or something. Being the same person is pretty unlikely.

Cocona questioning if Papika meant love as a friend and Papika asking the reason for the question is the kind of scene we usually don't see on yuri subtext animes, though.

Oh gosh, same.
I honestly fear they'll be revealed as sisters. I don't remember why, but I had the same thoughts a few weeks before. This week, one of Papika's personas was an imouto, which isn't striking cus she also has like 5 other personas, but then at the end, in Papika's flashback, it felt like it could be that... Also, when Papika says she loves her, and Cocona asks if it's "as a friend", my first thought was like, romantically, but what if sike, "as a sister". Also, altho the ED theme is pretty much them as Hansel and Gretel, what if they specifically chose that fairy tale cus Hansel and Gretel are siblings?

And about Cocona's sexuality, I wonder if she's bi or pan lol. The episode was like, low key an otome dating sim, where she basically had this harem of various Papikas. As we know, Cocona isn't immune to the effects of Pure Illusion, she casually got along and hung out with all of them. Her last scene with the horned Papika, in bed with black nightdresses in this hotel room(?) felt kinda sleazy/suggestive too.
Which is why it'd be super unsettling I find, if they were really sisters. The last conversation she had with a Pure Illusion Papika felt preeetty suggestive
But overall ep 7 mindfucked me, I wasn't sure what was going on at all

Ppl say theres yaoi anime that sells, but i hardly see any actual yaoi per season, is there something I'm missing? Is it subtext?

All I know is that this season, Yuri on Ice is killing 'em fangirls
Also there was a kiss in the last 1-2 eps, it's canon now(?)

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 10:34AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Yeah, I'll count on all the intentional subtext between them and believe that really isn't the case. I do believe Cocona was talking about romantic love in the bed. It's what makes more sense. People don't go out o their way like that to try to separate what is siblings love and friendship love.

I think I'm just a little paranoid because this is so far my favorite anime of the year and I wanted it to end perfectly, not screwing things up in the very end.

Pretty much the same we get with yuri. Yaoi doesn't sell much, subtext sell.

Even on this season Yaoi on Ice...
Not wanting to crush anyone's ship, but there's a reason why the "kiss" in wasn't explicit. He still had his arm in front of them, so it could be denied. I doubt they will be an explicit couple at the end.

But hey, we get a lot of that with yuri subtext and accept them too

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 11:18AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.