Forum › Their Story discussion

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

This was slightly confusing. My best guess is that it is an unpolished translation. In any case, Sun Jing is really not good at this. She is being too pushy, in my opinion. The chasing after the confession was already a bit too much, honestly, but if she had just limited herself to making sure Qiu Tong stayed on speaking terms with her, that would have been quite enough. Instead, she keeps going and going, literally shoving her feelings down on Qiu Tong, who is obviously not able to handle it at the moment. Not only is it counterproductive, it is also not a nice move in general. She should have just given her some time to process all of this.

Also, "Actually the reason I confessed was so that I could better pursue you". As opposed to what? Pursuing her while Qiu Tong was oblivious to said efforts? I have already stated my opinion on that particular aspect of the confession. The "not here to be friends with you" part. While I liked the directness of the exchange itself, that one sentence was really not nice, considering that Qiu Tong up until that point considered them to be really good friends. And with this "so that I could better pursue you" I am left with an impression that Sun Jing used their friendship (because that is what it was until now, even though Sun Jing's feelings were romantic in nature from the beginning) to get some kind of a foothold before she went in an all-out assault. She might not even fully realise this (or, alternatively, I could be reading too much into it), but it is still not fair towards Qiu Tong. Because this is not a case where one friend fell in love with the other, Sun Jing was in love before she even approached Qiu Tong, and pursued her from the start, only, she did not bother informing the other party of this, until they have already established a friendship.
In any case, I get why she did not start their acquaintanceship with a confession, but still, to build a friendly relationship, only to scratch friendship off the list later on (and retroactively changing what they already had between each other, by informing the other party all those things actually had a hidden meaning, basically), is a somewhat bastard-ish move.

"You don't need to refuse... I only ask that you don't refuse." Refuse what, exactly?

Qiu Tong said she liked someone, was that a lie...? or does she actually like someone?

Forgot about that... Considering her surprise over Sun Jing's feelings, and the general impression that she honestly did not entertain the idea of two of them being an item, I doubt her words referred to Sun Jing. At least, that is my opinion. A potential complication down the road, perhaps?

P.S. The time stamp finally managed to defeat my username... :|

No2
joined Jan 18, 2016

You know, I have a LOT of free time so I re-read the entire manhua. I don't even know if this would somehow be useful. There hasn't been some much time sice SJ and QT know eachother. We have 88 chapters, and only 11 days have passed in the characters lifes (the twelve is on).
Having that in mind there's no doubt why QT was so shocked. I mean, if it was me I wouldn't even take it serious.

PD: I apologise if what I said has grammar issues, I'm native spanish so... yeah

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 4:10PM

200069l%20(1)%20(1)
joined Dec 25, 2015

How are Qi Fang and the glasses boy yoai? All that happened was Qi Fang caught the boy before he fell. That wasn't romantic at all. He was just helping his fellow classmate out. I must be reading a different manga or something. Just because two people of the same gender interact doesn't mean that they want to have sex with each other in this manga.

Maybe I have to put my gay googles on to read between the lines or something. That was just a normal interaction, it wasn't romantic at all.

Says the straight people when I ship a couple in any type of media.

The gay googles are supposed to be on 24/7!

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

what if aLL THE ART is just... Sun Jing's dream? dramatic music

joined Mar 8, 2014

In any case, I get why she did not start their acquaintanceship with a confession, but still, to build a friendly relationship, only to scratch friendship off the list later on (and retroactively changing what they already had between each other, by informing the other party all those things actually had a hidden meaning, basically), is a somewhat bastard-ish move.

Yeah, you're right about that... I really like Sun Jing but to be honest that is true... I've had guys do to the same (or similar) to me and it feel really bad... because they didn't really show they liked me or they gave me sort of mixed messages only to either tell me they were after me or just start saying romantic/sexual stuff when I didn't even do a thing to give them an excuse to do so...
But on the other hand Sun Jing wasn't exactly trying to be friends with Qiu Tong... she did want to confess her feelings. But you know, you can't just go up to a girl and be "I like you!" especially when it's a girl... and I don't know where you are from but you also have to consider that homosexuality is accepted differently in some countries... so maybe in China it's not as "accepted" as in the U.S for example... though I'm not sure about that >.> I mean even in Japan I read that people have trouble coming out, but it's more like something society is not used to rather than something people as individuals don't accept. I am from Greece and I can tell you it's not possible to a random girl and tell her you like her there...
Also you have to have in mind that Sun Jing tried to suggest that she liked Qiu Tong... like... that thing about "because there's a cute girl with me" was totally obvious. It would have totally crossed my mind that she might like me... but that's just because I'm looking for someone (a girl, specifically)... Qiu Tong didn't seem like she was so she was naturally more oblivious. Like, for a girl that has never though about being with a woman it's hard to guess... even if she had thought about she probably was very much in denial so the more reason to brush it off... No to mention that since they were both girls she just brushed it off as a joke. I mean, if it was a guy she would have probably thought he did fancy her to some extent. Sun Jing's friend told her it's hard when they are both girls I remember and that's exactly the reason.
What I mean is that Sun Jing wasn't really that much at fault... yeah, her confession was a bit "harsh" to say so but it had just been a bit more than a week and they hadn't even hung out every day so it doesn't seem like she waited to build a friendship and then used that... She just wanted to get to know this girl. I think that's why she said she wanted to be friends with her in the beginning. I mean even if you like someone you have to talk to them to know if you really like them, so I think that initially she just wanted to get to know her... She just phrased things really wrong, she wasn't exactly trying to be "friends" so she shouldn't have said "be friends" but it might make more sense in Chinese rather than English. And yeah the confession was weird, telling her she doesn't want to be her friend... I mean I'm sure Qiu Tong was hurt by that, it's like "either be my gf or nothing", it sounds a bit mean... And I know it's not like that but it's hard not to get that feeling when someone confesses to you like that, ESPECIALLY if it's happened before and I suspect that about Qiu Tong... She kind of gives off the vibe as the girl who is too popular and is bullied by other girls. In any case... But yeah, you sort of feel like they only cared about your body and not that much about you and you know it's not true but you still feel it because you think "if it wasn't for my looks"... And yeah when you get the person you like you don't feel like that because you're happy and of course you wouldn't be negative like that... But even in that case, if they told you "I'd never be your friend if I couldn't have you as my girlfriend" you'd still feel slightly bothered... even if you know it's justifiable and even if you know you'd do the same.
Oh well... I guess I just rambled a lot >.> I just kind of relate to both characters in some ways I guess...

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 7:32PM

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

"You aren't going to thank me first?"
"Thank you. Let me go."

Nice comedic relief to top off all the drama XD

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I mean even in Japan I read that people have trouble coming out

Japan might not be as accepting as you think.

No2
joined Jan 18, 2016

This is kind of ridiculous but, as you can see I'm new in this forum thing. Can you teach me how to upload an image?
I can´t tell if you'll regret it but come on, please.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Yeah, you're right about that... I really like Sun Jing but to be honest that is true... I've had guys do to the same (or similar) to me and it feel really bad... because they didn't really show they liked me or they gave me sort of mixed messages only to either tell me they were after me or just start saying romantic/sexual stuff when I didn't even do a thing to give them an excuse to do so...
But on the other hand Sun Jing wasn't exactly trying to be friends with Qiu Tong... she did want to confess her feelings. [...]

The first thing she tried to do was indeed get Qiutong's number, but she completely chickened out
Remember that talk Sunjing had with her bro?
It's not totally her fault she seemed ambiguous about it, it's just not what people consider at first (cus heteronormativity)
If a guy had done what Sunjing did, it would have been pretty obvious to Qiutong that Sunjing was pursuing her
As a girl, Sunjing has to make it blatantly more obvious for Qiutong to catch on
Besides, if she had really went up to her and asked her out, Qiutong would have been super weirded out/reacted negatively.

last edited at Jan 20, 2016 1:10AM

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Oh good god no. Its about as conservative and traditionalist as you get about...well fucking name. Women's rights and LGBT rights are just disappointing, especially for a supposedly liberal democracy, xenophobia is rampant, they still refuse to own up for literally raping their way through Korea and China in WWII...
To say "Japan is not as accepting as you think think" is really understating it. Their just not accepting, period.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I jumped out of my bed and yelled "WHAT?!" when I read the part where Qiu Tong said she couldn't return Sun Jing's feelings. I overreacted and thought they were done. The drama intensifies.

While I understand not wanting to be friends anymore, following her around that far while she was pushing you away the whole time was pretty cringey.

IIRC This Story itself discussed earlier it's harder to communciate romantic interest if you're both girls than if one of you is male.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins posted:

My best guess is that it is an unpolished translation.

I think this translation tends to be on the literal side of things.

Going off on a tangent here! While I don't mind things like language-specific onomatopoeia, like "putong putong", which I think is the Chinese equivalent of "doki doki", literally translated (or "transliterated"), ordinary conversational speech like "your face is so red...?" (page 87) would benefit from an edit, into something like "your face is really red..."

last edited at Jan 20, 2016 3:26AM

Little Bits Of Mini
Josuke
joined Nov 8, 2013

Y'all overreacting. What Sun Jing did was totally acceptable, confession outburst happens in manga all the time! It's about time Sun Jing converted Qiu Tong.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

It's about time Sun Jing converted Qiu Tong.

Haha so we're getting to the arc of conversion. Nice

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

I wanted to offer my services as a QCer to the people scanlating this series. However, their Ask-page on tumblr is broken and I don't know how to contact them otherwise. http://yaoi-blcd.tumblr.com/ask
So, if you are reading this: you should probably fix your tumblr and if you would like me to QC your stuff, mail me at knobibrot@googlemail.com.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Hooray! It's here to! I love this serie. It's funny and the art is nice!

Credit
joined Jul 14, 2013

I don't know why and I think I'm the only one who thinks that that glasses guy kinda looks like Mako from the legend of Korra :D And also his attitude is kinda the same

No2
joined Jan 18, 2016

Qiu Tong's friend looks kind of interesting, It would be cool if we get to know her a bit more, like mophead. (or is it just because I like woman with short hair?... meh)

joined Mar 8, 2014

Oh good god no. Its about as conservative and traditionalist as you get about...well fucking name. Women's rights and LGBT rights are just disappointing, especially for a supposedly liberal democracy, xenophobia is rampant, they still refuse to own up for literally raping their way through Korea and China in WWII...
To say "Japan is not as accepting as you think think" is really understating it. Their just not accepting, period.

To be honest I just said that even in Japan because well, Japan is more accepting about LGBT than Greece is to be honest. In Greece there's no way they'd put LGBT stuff in the media like that... Like one of the biggest things I remember was a show where there was a gay guy and a lesbian girl as side characters and they were living together and they decided to have a child and then the girl moved out and the boyfriend of they guy moved in but that's about it...

joined Mar 8, 2014

To be honest I just said that even in Japan because well, Japan is more accepting about LGBT than Greece is to be honest. In Greece there's no way they'd put LGBT stuff in the media like that... Like one of the biggest things I remember was a show where there was a gay guy and a lesbian girl as side characters and they were living together and they decided to have a child and then the girl moved out and the boyfriend of they guy moved in but that's about it... Also I don't think they're that bad? Like I talked to some people on my trip there and they said they didn't really care, this girl told me she had a gay classmate and that he was a "gentleman" haha :P Also they're a bit shy around foreigners but they're not mean, I mean they were really nice to me at least...? Yeah women's rights are a bit weird though... like having to leave a job... oops but okay, err, this is unrelated ^-^'''

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

New strip released. SJ acts so confident, and as bold as ever. Its like she's in full attacking mode haha. She's like a guy to me

No2
joined Jan 18, 2016

very confident Sun jing. I would never be brave enought to act like that with someone I like

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

very confident Sun jing. I would never be brave enought to act like that with someone I like

I know right. I mean she did kind of get rejected and she is still acting confident that takes guts. I hate glasses guy he had to go kill the mood. Sun Jing was acting so smooth giving Qui Tong the seat like that.

last edited at Jan 22, 2016 4:43PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

You do know there is another thread where you can discuss spoilers right?

To reply you must either login or sign up.