Forum › Their Story discussion

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Nezchan

I seriously don't know why these scenes have to be included =.=

Presumably the author wants a story that's a bit more than "take two characters, mush them together and make them kiss, the end." So she did this thing that writers sometimes do, which is add supporting characters, and give them scenes of their own. so you can distinguish them from a brick or lamp or something.

I know, it's such a weird thing to do!

Weird...
But gets more fans

joined Jan 31, 2015

At least, we know his name now. Qi Fang. [...]

Actually, his name has been known for quite a long while, since the 8th strip:

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/their_story_17112014_update#8

Nezchan:

Presumably the author wants a story that's a bit more than "take two characters, mush them together and make them kiss, the end." So she did this thing that writers sometimes do, which is add supporting characters, and give them scenes of their own. so you can distinguish them from a brick or lamp or something.

You can't have other plots along the main plot!

Like... another plot but of lower importance...

As if... it's under... the main plot...

Like... some sort of... sub... plot...

But seriously though, all those "random occurrences", especially early on in the series, are part of the reason I really like this series. Like all the Sun Jing + Mophead shenanigans, which used to be quite often early on but not nearly as much anymore. Sure, the current stuff isn't exactly the same, in that this seems to be another actual story thread, as opposed to random separate gags. But still, ionno, for me, all this stuff gives more character and "life" to the universe of this story.

last edited at Feb 1, 2016 11:13PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

anonymous posted:

You can't have other plots along the main plot!

Like... another plot but of lower importance...

As if... it's under... the main plot...

Like... some sort of... sub... plot...

According to most people on Dynasty, judging by the complaints these sorts of stories seem to gather, it's only acceptable if it's yuri. If not it shouldn't exist.

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Thank you. These people complaining about the author trying to have diverse cast of supporting characters are really driving me up the wall.

last edited at Feb 8, 2016 9:31PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I think the story is mainly about SJ and QT. Not complaining, because I like the rest of characters too, especially Mophead haha. I like how the author gave SJ a male best friend.
Having said that, I think maybe these side stories are also a way to prolong the story too, since SJ and QT relationship moves pretty fast with no major drama whatsoever.

last edited at Feb 2, 2016 8:04AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think the story is mainly about SJ and QT. Not complaining, because I like the rest of characters too, especially Mophead haha. I like how the author gave SJ a male best friend.
Having said that, I think maybe these side stories are also a way to prolong the story too, since SJ and QT relationship moves pretty fast with no major drama whatsoever.

Yeah, even the rejection isn't so much "drama" as "a thing that happens in your life" without really affecting all that much otherwise. SJ certainly hasn't let it get her down, and seems emboldened by it in fact.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm all for giving side characters a story of their own. The problem I have here is that it's choppy. Giving some arcs to side characters is common and keeps things interesting (not to sound obsessed or anything but a certain manhwa precisely lacks this). But here, the arcs are too short. It hops between stories and you get to doubt about who are the mcs, because everyone gets short screentime.

last edited at Feb 2, 2016 11:10AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I think it's obvious who the main characters of Their Story are. it's just that the side characters are handled differently here compared to other mangas. They don't "contribute" something big to the main characters' romance, they just get their own side stories that are usually unrelated to SJ and QT development.
I see it more like extra stories within the manhua rather than one unit. Who knows, maybe the author uses them to buy time thinking of how to develop SJ and QT story too. Not that this is a bad thing

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I just think the author already had a lot of yaoi fans. To maintain her fanbase she just had to put the guys in the story. Even her "official" scanlation group is yaoi-blcd

joined Dec 9, 2014

Not sure but I haven't seen any yaoi manhua from Their Story author. Yaoi-blcd's other project is 19 Days (yaoi) but it's from a different author (Old Xian)

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Not sure but I haven't seen any yaoi manhua from Their Story author. Yaoi-blcd's other project is 19 Days (yaoi) but it's from a different author (Old Xian)

Mosspaca is full of subtext. It targeted Yaoi fans

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I think the problem is that people are thinking about this as an entirely plot driven manhua when to begin with, it was only a succession of funny strip and awesome pictures. So they are expecting full continuity in the manhua... but there never was such a thing.

last edited at Feb 2, 2016 1:37PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yaoi is fine, we (specially we) are supposed to understand that love can born anywhere for anyone, but... Like... This isn't even yaoi yet! relax.

And speaking about the side characters, I want to know more about QT's friend http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/their_story_17112014_update#3 I bet she won't like the idea of having SJ around

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I hope Tan Jiu joins this whole Gay February movement soon, because SuminxSungji, MewxDonut, and even the "notoriously" slow burn Seolrae are all speeding up and it's frigging awesome. I miss SJ & QT and I'm in need some of their actions xD

joined Feb 10, 2016

I find it funny that people complain about yaoi, when there are so far zero yaoi couples.

Come to think of it, so far there are zero couples at all, although I imagine Mophead could be part of one any time he wants.

Yuri fans have a paranoid fear of yaoi. Even the slightest hint will send them off on irrational ramblings.

The same thing can be said with yaoi fans. :/

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Tan Jiu has a weird sense of humor; I like it.
I think I was that boy once.

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

Sun Jing is hilarious. Even though, she got rejected she’s going all in with her humour still. But maybe she’s using humour to cover up her sadness.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

Tan Jiu has a weird sense of humor; I like it.
I think I was that boy once.

My mom would've whooped me if I ever did something like that. So I didn't. o_o

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

There was no skirt to flip when I was a boy. People don't wear skirt that much where I'm from

last edited at Feb 24, 2016 4:48PM by Nezchan

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I refuse blackbarring this thread. Please make a spoiler thread please lol

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

that face tho

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

That was awesome, and that face made me laugh so hard XD

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I refuse blackbarring this thread. Please make a spoiler thread please lol

lol the last two "spoilers" weren't spoilers dw

EDIT: just in case you're paranoid ^^^^ this isnt a spoiler either
Feel free to hover your mouse over it in safety

last edited at Feb 29, 2016 12:30AM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I personally don't mind the yaoi filler but... this was just ew D:

last edited at Mar 5, 2016 1:17AM

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Ohh I wanted to see glasses guy x blonde guy but this is nice too. That blonde is so coool, really a bit too cool. I have pictures of him in my pc and there are even cosplays.

To reply you must either login or sign up.