Forum › Shoujo Shikkaku discussion

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

A yuri Akame, now we had somebody to compete

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Yuri battle royal? Interesting.

joined Oct 10, 2014

This is pretty fresh (Yuri freshness. Lol), but Kawai Rou needs a mentor on action genre.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Ah good, some action , battle royal and saw mixed with yuri, very selfish and easy to turn on their friends girls and cool strangers bound together

Love it,love it

Kyosaya_Bubbiline
joined Jun 21, 2015

Oh damn this just gets better with every update, kind of wondering why that girl called her dog off?

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

lmao, this is utter nonsense. xD

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I've been extremely curious about you for a while, as you scanlated so many things practically on your own.
Are you fluent in Japanese? Where are you from? What made you start doing this? You mentioned that you were curious about this present series but not enough to take the effort to read it in Japanese, so does reading Japanese take a lot of effort for you? Does it take you a lot of time to scanlate?

Answering in order, I am not fluent in Japanese, I did study Japanese in college for a few years, but my actual reading vocabulary is on the small side, but that's what online dictionaries are for. Plus I've purchased close to a dozen dictionaries and language references over the years. I am from Kansas in the USA.

I started doing this simply because I had purchased "Her World" in Japanese and I wanted to be able to read it in English. (It was even harder for me to read Japanese at that time.) I translated about the first half and kept playing with the idea of producing a scanlation. Then I had the chance to get a copy of some old software that could handle the editing, and started experimenting with a different chapter and eventually released it through Dynasty. Some here will remember that fiasco. WeatheredPeach gave me a lot of help on improving my editing, and over time I like to believe I've improved my translations.

Yes it is difficult for me to sit down and read Japanese. In addition to having a relatively small reading vocabulary, it takes more attention and focus to read much of what I do have than with English.With most manga if I give it that focus, I'll get a pretty fair idea of most of what's going on, but unless I take the time to look things up I'll miss a lot. The most effective way for me to read Japanese thoroughly is to transcribe what I don't immediately understand into the computer and then use computer resources. I have a program call rikaikun that will give me definitions of Japanese words just by doing a mouse over, so the only time I spend much time with a word is if rikaikun doesn't know it or if it's definition is suspect. And my reading vocabulary is slowly growing.

Yes it takes time to scanlate. I consider it my hobby. It takes a lot of time for most people to scanlate. I don't know how I compare to others, but I know I take less than half the time I used to, and that's still improving. And of course it depends heavily on the material I'm doing. Some pages it can take a long time just to do the editing, say there's a complex redraw I can't get out of, or there is a large quantity of highly varied lettering, or the page was damaged for some reason and has to be repaired. Other times it may take some time to figure out complex sentences. My usual method is to take each page and do any redraws needed, clean it, translate it and letter it in that order, then go on to the next page. Sometimes translating it really is as simple as just looking at it and reading it. Once I've done the whole chapter, I go back over the translation in detail to work out any problems, find any errors and polish the translation. Then I usually get help to QC it. The fastest I've ever done a page is 8 minutes. the slowest, even after throwing out when I was first starting... Well there was a reason for the four month gap in releases when I was working on chapter two of Secret of the Princess. A few pages had taken me over 3 hours each, and I got discouraged and stopped working on it for quite a while. That was because of redraws, a lot of text, and I didn't have either rikaikun or an OCR program then; it takes time to look up Kanji in a physical dictionary, especially when you haven't yet learned how most of the radicals are used. When I finally got back to it, most pages went quite a bit faster, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. And as I said, I think I'm at least twice as fast now as I was then, in part because of making better use of computer resources.

Ah! A wall of text; sorry to talk your ear off.

Edit: And off topic besides. Sorry Nezchan.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 2:11PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I wanted to make a Game of Thrones joke here but I don't think even Game of Thrones kills it's characters more pointlessly

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Edit: And off topic besides. Sorry Nezchan.

Happy to allow this one, since it's a look into the human side of scanlating which we really don't see much.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This concept is starting to get rather tired by now. Throw a group of teens in a battle royale type of situation and suddenly everyone is a crazed murdering lunatic, ohhh the edge, such dramatics. Or maybe they were all deranged to begin with, in which case how convenient! Ah well, this one is so ridiculous that maybe it has some entertainment value in that if nothing else.

joined May 24, 2014

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/shoujo_shikkaku_ch02#22

Nothing sweeter than a horrific pointless sacrifice

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

So ..what? They were all fucked up before this, and ready to kill? Did i miss something? it went from happy school time..to suddenly wanting to kill each other just like that.. O_o

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I know the manga is trying to pull off symbolism to superficiality and hollowness of some relationships through extreme edgy action, but that kinda all it is. Nothing going on for these characters other than blatant tightly packed exposition, it's like the plot is missing it's backbone, it cannot stand up on it's own. Ends up just being brainless action scenes one after the other.

Maybe it would've been better as just mindless action, but its trying to be more but doing in a such a mediocre way makes it pretty glaring.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 2:49PM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Absolutely on the top of my list of things I want more of in yuri is action!
but I don't care for this jigsaw, last man/woman standing killing thing. It's hard for me to care about this sort of premise.
IMO. the leads are so far as boring as almost every character in Akuma No Riddle. Not helping.
I'd rather have a superheros or sword and sorcery setting. or martial arts. or even robots!
And just more . . . fun.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

This concept is starting to get rather tired by now. Throw a group of teens in a battle royale type of situation and suddenly everyone is a crazed murdering lunatic, ohhh the edge, such dramatics. Or maybe they were all deranged to begin with, in which case how convenient! Ah well, this one is so ridiculous that maybe it has some entertainment value in that if nothing else.

If you want something that plays with the setting, with a bunch of craziness, check out Pageratta.

joined Aug 10, 2015

W h a t

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

Way too edgy and way too rushed.

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

What happened to good ol' B.G.M.R.S.P? I don't want this ow the edge, 2deep4u garbage, I want happy yuri! Or at least some more interesting characters, like in Gamma and not generic deathmatch stock characters. Like it couldn't be more obvious exactly what's going to happen. Cliched and depressing, whoop whoop.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

A really confusing read, what with the disjointed storytelling (what happened to the buddy of the fake best friend, the pal of glock girl, characters that appeared in two or three panels at most and you're supposed to remember and care for them) and fast pacing.

e: oh, and chainsaws apparently don't make noise.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 3:18PM

Gah1
joined May 25, 2015

The weapon balance is real

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

It doesn't hurt to have a fast paced story for once. People here seem to be used to very slow development...
I like it personally.
Also people who say this is just another battle royal, don't forget this HAS YURI, which makes it by definition always better.

joined Aug 16, 2015

This story is so bad that is good.
At this rate the whole classroom will be dead in 2 more chapters.

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I'm guessing this is part of YH branching into new genres instead of remaking the same shy girl/popular girl that every artist has since copied from Morinaga. Same deal with series like Tachibanakan and Netsuzou Trap.
Glad to see Yuri Hime is starting to publish a different kind of stories. I do like fluffy yuri in a school setting, but it can get redundant and boring if you read too much of it.
Yes, that's exactly what I want! Let's be honest, so far we haven't had much choice, but yuri as the main and sole genre for a story gets kind of boring after a while. I would much rather see all kinds of stories where yuri is just present, just like het romance is often present as a side plot in most stories. And gay panic and angst is just.. Overdone.

Yuri Hime has always published all sorts of stories per what is contributed. Just because most don't make it to English scantalations doesn't mean they don't exist. What the Yuri Hime editor explicitly mentioned was that they wanted to branch out of yuri AS a genre (not "main plot" or whatsoever), meaning they could scrap the magazine as one that publishes any yuri at all and strictly go Boy x Girl or Girl x Boy.

So don't get too presumptive or excited yet.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 3:34PM

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

What the Yuri Hime editor explicitly mentioned was that they wanted to branch out of yuri AS a genre (not "main plot" or whatsoever), meaning they could scrap the magazine as one that publishes any yuri at all and strictly go Boy x Girl or Girl x Boy.

wtf are you talking about, how could YuriHime stop publishing yuri -_-

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Yuri Hime has always published all sorts of stories per what is contributed. Just because most don't make it to English scantalations doesn't mean they don't exist. What the Yuri Hime editor explicitly mentioned was that they wanted to branch out of yuri AS a genre (not "main plot" or whatsoever), meaning they could scrap the magazine as one that publishes any yuri at all and strictly go Boy x Girl or Girl x Boy.

So don't get too presumptive or excited yet.

I think that is a lot of fearmongering. Yuri Hime wont suddenly turn into a het magazine.

To reply you must either login or sign up.