Forum › Lily Love discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't particularly find this story interesting? From the trite "I'm the nerdy girl" trope to the "insanely beautiful and randomly interested in you lesbian" that pops outta nowhere. It's cute, and sorta funny, but it's not really my thing. I'm alright with Mew, but Donut is so incredibly boring that I just don't care for her struggles anymore.

Maybe it's me just expecting too much from this story, but at least it has... good art...

^This

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

I don't particularly find this story interesting? From the trite "I'm the nerdy girl" trope to the "insanely beautiful and randomly interested in you lesbian" that pops outta nowhere. It's cute, and sorta funny, but it's not really my thing. I'm alright with Mew, but Donut is so incredibly boring that I just don't care for her struggles anymore.

Maybe it's me just expecting too much from this story, but at least it has... good art...

I loved at the start where Donut was like "i'm so fat and ugly" as the art highlighted her skinny legs and exactly-as-pretty face as P'Mew. I'm mostly just reading it because it has nice art and it's updating regularly.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

My case is that it is yet to do anything to have a grasp on me, I pretty much skipped/skimmed all the chapters until ch6 to see where things go, but still nothing. Comedy (whenever it has) is swing'n'miss and characters are pretty meh.

I loved at the start where Donut was like "i'm so fat and ugly" as the art highlighted her skinny legs and exactly-as-pretty face as P'Mew. I'm mostly just reading it because it has nice art and it's updating regularly.

Think artists are mostly incapable of going out of their way into different character designs (ugly-looking) while maintaining their style, when some attempt it its quite the jarring contrast when placed along side their usual designs. Here all characters look pretty much the same on attractiveness levels, even background characters.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I think it's nice to have a story where the relationship is "out" for a change. Feels like it's usually either treated as a secret or the story revolves around the couple to the point that it doesn't matter what their friends think. This has a similar vibe to The Collectors in that sense.

I prefer an easy start to an long more realistic beginning just to get some damn relationship afterwards stories, which are even that damn rare in main het stories romances

Meh, lathering on the GAYAAAAAAAAAANGST is so trite by this point, it doesn't strike me as much fun to write or read. I'm quite happy to read a series that dispenses with it, like Lily Love or Kase-san and actually deals with other relationship issues instead.

I agree with this. It doesn't feel like there's many new shoes to tread that ground with, and I'd rather read something different than something cliche, even if the cliche is more logical.

All of this. I don't understand why some people defend those realistic but overdone cliches. Just a little is good, but no when they are entire focus of the story.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

My case is that it is yet to do anything to have a grasp on me, I pretty much skipped/skimmed all the chapters until ch6 to see where things go, but still nothing. Comedy (whenever it has) is swing'n'miss and characters are pretty meh.

I honestly much agree for now since it this one just doesn't feel paced well in my honest opinion.

But it's pretty odd considering this author has proven to be good at writing

Fb_img_1557642301687
joined Aug 12, 2013

^This

All of this.

But I'm still pretty much invested to keep myself distracted between chapters of Fluttering Feelings, Their Story, and several others.

Hopefully Donut gets more interesting/cuter. This chapter has been the most stimulating so far of this series so hopefully there's more of that (and more frequently) at least.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I honestly much agree for now since it this one just doesn't feel paced well in my honest opinion.

But it's pretty odd considering this author has proven to be good at writing

Has the artist done anything else other than the drama one-shot where one can judge writing? one-shots are not exactly a good place tbh, and I did not think it was anything stellar.

In stories like this one, the easy-going sort of slice of life -ish romance (could just refer to it as "romance" but those tend to bring drama struggles regardless, so I'll refer to it as "slice of life -ish romance"), it relies heavily on it's characters to get a hold on readers. It's not only the characters themselves, but their interactions with each other, the dynamics. So far it's not really doing it for me, as I stated before, the characters are pretty meh. The way they interact is somewhat dry.

Like, the strongest example I think of is Their Story (which leans very heavy on the characters), the character interactions there are just a joy to see (also relatable in some occasions due to the realistic portrayal of a group of friends being all dorky), it's has good comedy but it is not comedy-driven. Where the plot takes a backseat, to be driven by character interactions instead of the plot itself moving the characters. Relying on characters is what makes slice of life -ish romance work well.

last edited at Aug 2, 2015 2:32PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Has the artist done anything else other than the drama one-shot where one can judge writing? one-shots are not exactly a good place tbh, and I did not think it was anything stellar.

Artist done MUCH more than just "the drama one-shot" ;) We could only translate that one because it wasn't licensed.

I think I will post in few days info about one publication where you guys will see that Ratana can also draw ugly characters if you want it so badly :P

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I think I will post in few days info about one publication where you guys will see that Ratana can also draw ugly characters if you want it so badly :P

Not something I want, just pointing out.

Thing is character designs in manga tends to be pretty tight (like, facial structures are usually the same. Character-to-character differences are usually boob sizes, height, eye color (sometimes shape), and hairstyle(and color)), and when attempting to draw an ugly character they usually go for accessories (big thick glasses, plain/ugly clothes, etc) while the character is actually exactly like every character in the manga without them.

Or they try the fat thing, (cuz fat=ugly right?... eh..) and... exagerate that...

Or details, which probably works best... but still looks out of place when placed next to other characters. Due to disparity in character design.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Yeah I know what you mean, don't worry :D (I just needed a reason to force myself to make a post about that publication because I knew about it for a long time xD)

joined Jan 4, 2014

I think it's nice to have a story where the relationship is "out" for a change. Feels like it's usually either treated as a secret or the story revolves around the couple to the point that it doesn't matter what their friends think. This has a similar vibe to The Collectors in that sense.

I prefer an easy start to an long more realistic beginning just to get some damn relationship afterwards stories, which are even that damn rare in main het stories romances

Meh, lathering on the GAYAAAAAAAAAANGST is so trite by this point, it doesn't strike me as much fun to write or read. I'm quite happy to read a series that dispenses with it, like Lily Love or Kase-san and actually deals with other relationship issues instead.

I agree with this. It doesn't feel like there's many new shoes to tread that ground with, and I'd rather read something different than something cliche, even if the cliche is more logical.

All of this. I don't understand why some people defend those realistic but overdone cliches. Just a little is good, but no when they are entire focus of the story.

Agree. It's not as if most of the gayangst stories are in any way realistic either. Most stories completely ignore it or focus on the characters worrying about whether they are gay or not, but rarely will they tackle the question as to how the people around the characters will react. Stories like Sorairo Girlfriend touch on it, but after a couple of panels with bullying, everyone makes up and suddenly all are okay with it. Stories that show how the outside world can sometimes be truly unaccepting seem few and far between, with at a couple of scenes coming to mind in: Prism, Komochi no Katachi, as well as Husky and Medley (okay, so that last one might be cheating a bit, as it is at least nominally based on a true story). Of course I am sure I missed one or two, but that should not invalidate the point.

Personally I like stories that give us a bit of utopia by showing frank acceptance by the environment. Heck, nowadays I've actually had some friends who really did get that sort of reaction at their school when they came out. It is still rare, but something to strive for. Lily Love shows just such a world, and I am happy that it does.

That not everyone can relate to the characters is, in my mind, an entirely different discussion. Personally I love both P'Mew and Donut, and can emphasise with their various difficulties, but if some find one or the other somewhat colourless, then that is absolutely their right. I merely think that the story would gain very little from sudden gayangst, and would actually lose part of its charm from the simple and straightforward interaction between the characters.

(Also I'm biased, seeing as my Lily Love mugs have just arrived in the country, and I should get my hands on them once customs is finished admiring them... ;) )

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Most stories completely ignore it or focus on the characters worrying about whether they are gay or not, but rarely will they tackle the question as to how the people around the characters will react.

Yea. I'm so dying to see some story that actually deals with coming out in class, or making introduction to both of parents. Any relationship issues normal for het couples, by overshadowed by "oh we are both girls" drama in a lot of yuri. There can be problems, people might not be accepting, but don't focus entire manga on those issues.

Personally I like stories that give us a bit of utopia by showing frank acceptance by the environment.

So much of this. We have it in our world already, no point forcing it into every manga, just because this is how things are (and honestly shouldn't be).

More love to everyone <3

last edited at Aug 2, 2015 7:07PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

So I made series of posts :D

Check out infos about comic (available in English!) Poison of the Dead where Ratana is responsible for art :)

All posts here

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Geez Donut, you shouldn't have made P'mew mad.

But seriously, I so wasn't expecting Ratana to have a zombie story on her resume. Pretty awesome.

last edited at Aug 3, 2015 2:55AM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Well there's defending 'trite/shallow', and then there's defending 'cliche'. Because to be honest, angst is nothing new; you will never your entire life find the only story to handle even a niched story that has a different kind of angst than another. This might pick up steam, but at the moment it's rather disappointing. And injecting angst into the mix will not make it taste better..it'll just make it too flavorful.

Professor Oak would have some good words to say with regards to all this.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Professor Oak would have some good words to say with regards to all this.

''Maus,now is not the time to use this meme''

last edited at Aug 3, 2015 4:32PM

joined Apr 17, 2015

She really knows how to leave on a cliffhanger though.. Is she a fan of K-Dramas? xD

Nope.........I never saw K-Dramas.
i'm a fan of US-Series.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Not only K-dramas have cliffhangers xD Every season finale has cliffhanger....

joined Mar 25, 2013

True, but if you've watched a K-drama you'll know that every episode ends with a massive cliffhanger :P

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

True, but if you've watched a K-drama you'll know that every episode ends with a massive cliffhanger :P

I think this is k-drama/soap opera's thing. To create cliffhangers every episodes :P

joined Mar 25, 2013

I think this is k-drama/soap opera's thing. To create cliffhangers every episodes :P

Haven't watched soap opera's. They should bring their climber gear with them, such amateurs.

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

Zombies...I Love it!

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Another wonderful chapter. I for one am happy that Donut and Mew's relationship is deepening smoothly and happily. Thank you so much, Ratana and 3M.

joined Mar 18, 2015

Dunno. Take a group of average girls. Out of the blue, one of them comes out as a lesbian. I guess there would be some kind of akwardness at first, you know. Some kind of "uuuhh... I wonder if she ever looked at me that way?" or something. The way it is, the whole college already knows that Donut is a lezzy and everyone takes it in stride. In Thailand.

I know Lily Love is mostly comedy, for now, but some realism wouldn't hurt. It makes it look like coming out to your friends is as easy as breathing and that they wouldn't think anything more of it than "Cool! U 2 had sex yet?

you would be surprise how open it is in thai college...and how transgender, gays , lesbian ..lives together....no discrimination in university(dorms)

thai society arent that anti gays or transgender. ..they are pretty open about this.+
.(unlike South Korea , China or Japan---this is why you will totally get the diffrent between J-Yuri-Manga and Thai-Yuri-Manga---In J-Manga you will get the storyline about ..problem with how society see them, the coming out thing, ...while in T-Manga..you will face ...i wont spoiled lmao...wait till next chapt. )..

if you dont believe me....come to thailand and see it yourself. ...

last edited at Aug 6, 2015 12:19PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

To reply you must either login or sign up.