Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Messy-haired eyebrow girl is the best. BEST.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

After all the development we had in the last few chapters, I'm a little disappointed in this chapter. A the very least Miss Sunflower could start already getting the idea. (That said, the translation is much appreciated).

last edited at Jun 28, 2015 8:09PM

joined Sep 17, 2014

Its been nearly 4,000,000,000 years since we got a new chapter

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

but not in a relationship - that will be left an open question.

I pretty much agree with you other than this bit. I don't think it being left up in the air is going to happen at this point since it's clear that Miss Sunflower has some sort of feelings for Matsuri too, even if they may not be romantic ones. Though I am curious how that situation might be handled if she doesn't end up returning those same feelings since the series mostly avoids drama and that sort of outcome would typically be very drama filled.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

But, er...I'd say this is a Slice of Life series rather than plot-driven story? I think you're expecting something that this series is not...

Not that SoL =/= plot-driven...I think it's more of a CGDCT style with an overlining, soft and nice plot. Kinda like Tovarisch and Kase-san.

Whenever I'm sad, stressed or confused, I read a chapter or two and it almost instantly calms the torrid feelings within my breast. This series is my comfort food, and I very earnestly hope it can go on as long as Sugano plans it to. No matter what happens, it will always have a special place in my heart.

Chicken soup for the soul. Good yuri I think just fits right into that category.

I've reading this manga ever since but stopped and lost interest but then after a few years, I encountered FLOWERS visual novel that has a main character named Shirahane Suou. I was reminded of Miss Sunflower again and so I began rereading this again. :D

Lucky bastard. I'm still waiting for it to be translated because I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Can somebody give me a character recap for Matsuri's classmates? Haven't heard from them for a while so I have forgotten who is who.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Awesome, so glad to see an update :D

last edited at Jun 29, 2015 2:13AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

but not in a relationship - that will be left an open question.

I pretty much agree with you other than this bit. I don't think it being left up in the air is going to happen at this point since it's clear that Miss Sunflower has some sort of feelings for Matsuri too, even if they may not be romantic ones. Though I am curious how that situation might be handled if she doesn't end up returning those same feelings since the series mostly avoids drama and that sort of outcome would typically be very drama filled.

I agree miss sunflower certainly has feelings- she definitely loves Matsuri imo - but it isn't romantic love yet- or she hasn't realised that it is. What I mean by an open question is if it ends with Matsuri still in love with her - working at the store so they are still together all the time - miss sunflower loves her - but its not totally clear in what way - like right now.

That would leave it plenty open for your own interpretation of what their future would hold- just because the story ended on it never being specifically said what miss sunflowers feelings are doesn't mean they can't develop into more after the story ends.

To not leave that open you would need Matsuri to not just declare her love like she does all the time but ask for it to be returned and miss sunflower to say that she can't. And I don't think this story will do that.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

does any one know how many more chapters to come ?

As far as I know it's still ongoing so no.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I wonder if Miss Sunflower understands that Matsuri likes her that way, I mean she might suspect it but Matsuri didn't ever clarify it. If a younger girl came and constantly told an older woman that she loves her it's possible that she might be confused after initially thinking it was some sort of admiration but then starting to wonder if she meant it romantically...
I mean I remember she wanted to become like the previous Miss Sunflower so that Matsuri would look up to her, so maybe she thinks Matsuri just admires her when at some point Matsuri stated that it wasn't admiration but the desire to be close to her. @_@

joined Jun 12, 2015

does any one know how many more chapters to come?

48 chapters so far and still ongoing.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Can somebody give me a character recap for Matsuri's classmates? Haven't heard from them for a while so I have forgotten who is who.

OK lets see...

Nanase Nanako - (Nana) joins the story first back in chapter 2. Matsuri's class president - had a problem with books when we met her messing up the school library. Long black hair in twin tails, wears hair clip. Admires miss sunflower. Is a big fan of the author Kuroizato - (miss sunflowers brother). http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch02#6

Minami Ami - First joins in chapter 11 - Short black hair. Small and cute, but sometimes Matsuri thinks says scary things. Likes horror?. Manga fan. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch11#4

Tachibana Ritsuka (Ricchan) First met in chapter 14. Long brown (purple?) hair with a clip / braid - sometimes big braids. Reads a lot (too much at the start). Joins Matsuri's class in year 2 - but first met her the year before when they went to the festival together. Admires / bit of a crush? on miss sunflower. A bit of a queen / Tsundere type. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch14#2

last edited at Jun 29, 2015 5:30AM

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Thanks for the recap, elevown!

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I am nonetheless impatient for Matsuri x Himawari. Probably worse, I feel she deserves to get her :)
Seriously, Miss Sunflower, wake up and smell the coffee!

I think a lot of her reluctance isn't age, or that Matsuri isn't as smart as her. It's her not getting over the 1st Miss Sunflower and moving on.

last edited at Jun 29, 2015 12:59PM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

(So as not to derail anything I'll delete this and restate what I think in the later post).

last edited at Jun 29, 2015 8:14PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

BTW, on the one hand, it's probably good to be safe and say something like GL/garusu rabu, but on the other, I think Wikipedia is basically FOS. Their citation makes it look like Erica Friedman is endorsing the "shoujo ai means pedophilia" trope, and she doesn't even mention it. The other citation at the end is to a book in Japanese that's probably close to impossible for most en.wikipedia readers ever to find (even Japanese would have a hard time, is my guess) and not even in discussion is the citation in Japanese even excerpted. Basically, that's not a source. "There's this book in Japanese and i won't post a quote or anything, but I assure you in the book she uses the term that way. So anyone else using it any other way in Japan is totally irrelevant, even though the article is about how most people would take it."

Wrong thread?

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

a page or two back:

A bit of research isn't that hard... The term 'shounen ai' is used in Japan and in western countries to describe content involving non-sexual relationships between men. Works with sexual relationships is called 'yaoi'. Some ppl just thought the same applies for 'shoujo ai' and 'yuri', but in fact the term 'shoujo ai' is used to denote pedophilia in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_%28genre%29#Japanese_vs._Western_usage

My initial impression of that Wiki article was that it was misleading, but it's probably good advice to be safe and use GL or BL. It's hard to keep up with the shifting meanings of terms there like bara, yuri, etc. Out of context, you wouldn't use either shonen ai or shoujo ai generally, and in a manga context, you might be understood or not using shoujo ai and you more probably would be understood using shounen ai.

last edited at Jun 29, 2015 8:16PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I think a lot of her reluctance isn't age, or that Matsuri isn't as smart as her. It's her not getting over the 1st Miss Sunflower and moving on.

I decided to start rereading it from the start last night and other than not exactly being that smart and not being as into books as the original Miss Sunflower Matsuri's personality is actually very reminiscent of her. That's probably at least part of the reason Miss Sunflower (the current one) ended up growing as fond of her as she has. She's probably just not completely certain on her feelings currently and doesn't seem the sort to spend much time worrying about herself so it'll take her awhile to come to any realizations regarding her own feelings.

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

other than not exactly being that smart and not being as into books as the original Miss Sunflower Matsuri's personality is actually very reminiscent of her. That's probably at least part of the reason Miss Sunflower (the current one) ended up growing as fond of her as she has.

That makes sense and is very nice, to boot.

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

I thought at first Matsuri would be the next Miss Sunflower and that would be the end but (a) that wouldnt happen if they were a couple and (b) even if they never are, it would mean this Miss Sunflower has to die young, too, which would be pretty far-fetched.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I thought at first Matsuri would be the next Miss Sunflower and that would be the end but (a) that wouldnt happen if they were a couple and (b) even if they never are, it would mean this Miss Sunflower has to die young, too, which would be pretty far-fetched.

I've said it before but that is one of the main differences between the current miss sunflower and previous ones relationship and Matsuri's to the current one. Miss sunflower loved the origional miss sunflower but not romantically - and admired her etc- and wanted to become her / like her.

Matsuri on the other hand is in love with miss sunflower - she doesn't want to be like her - but WITH her - as she tells us here.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch18#18

DynastyMaker
Icon%20lily
joined Jan 20, 2015

Holy Crap! it actually updated

I didn't think the next chapter would ever be released!

DynastyMaker
Icon%20lily
joined Jan 20, 2015

does any one know how many more chapters to come?

48 chapters so far and still ongoing.

Wow!

Looks like I might be busy for about 3-4 years

Kind of wish I knew Japanese or lived in japan right now

Nina Crepaldi
Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

I love this so much, the atmosphere, the love for books and the art, is all so good

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Sorry, was not aware that this and She,Her Camera etc had been released till I saw it posted on /u/.

To reply you must either login or sign up.