Forum › Duel! discussion

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Seems interesting! Would be great if yuri developed later on. Glad the MC gathered up her courage at the end of the chapter, bully and her boyfriend are real sacks of shit.

Luci%20skyline%20(icon%20200)
joined Feb 28, 2013

Holy crap, a fencing manga?

Man, I miss fencing.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Oh, wow. Remeber this getting linked looooong ago...

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 1, pg 36 has an error. "you mustered up all that courage to stand up aga- her" it should be "against

joined May 24, 2014

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/duel_ch01#37

Something off about those legs, it's still great thought

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/duel_ch01#23 What a rack.

And the half-assed French here and there bothers me. If you have to add French, at least make it so the grammar is correct.

last edited at Sep 19, 2015 3:31AM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Welcome to the receiving end of ornamental language bits here and there. ;)

Baumkuchen

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

Why would anyone number their pages like this??

joined Aug 31, 2015

And the half-assed French here and there bothers me. If you have to add French, at least make it so the grammar is correct.

Wimp! Ennuyer!

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Wow I saw it ages ago, it was promising but so far no new releases so I forgot about it. Didn't expect it being uploaded here ;O And yea, the bullies are such a assholes. Like all bullies I guess.

What do you expect from manga? I don't think there exist one that actually uses foreign language correctly, most the time they just use it for cool factor. For japanese everything that is foreign sounds cool. Hell they once used polish that kinda made sense xD

You%20thought%20it%20was%20a%20pancake
joined Sep 16, 2013

might as well go full polandball and make it entirely hons and arrogance

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

might as well go full polandball and make it entirely hons and arrogance

Polandball xD first time heard about that. I guess Indonesiaball wasn't as catchy, since if you revers polish flag you get the indonesia's one ;x

joined Jan 4, 2014

I think I stopped feeling too bothered by that when I first watched Eva, and Asuka speaks "German"... But agree that it still can be a bit irritating as it breaks the narrative flow.

Irrespective of that I do like the story though, both in terms of the art and the setting. Fencing does make for a certain elegance after all.

joined Aug 31, 2015

^Speaking about that, the fencing is half-assed too. I know nothing of fencing but I doubt you'll achieve much by jumping with your sword pointing upwards. From what I understand, training is all about stances in fencing.

This has potential, but first chapter was quite average to me. Let's see if this goes nicely in subsequent chapters.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeah, it's not really serious about fencing either. What serious fencer would point the tip of their sword between the eyes of someone unprotected? And she jumps like a kangaroo, for what purpose?

Seeing the first page, I guess it's a manga to promote fencing for Tokyo 2020, and it's using French because fencing is litered with French words, but it's doing a bad job of it.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

What serious fencer would point the tip of their sword between the eyes of someone unprotected?

Well I'd say it is standard intimidating factor. Like pointing the tip of the sword into someone face. And let's be honest she is facing some shy girl, why should she bother to be on guard when just looking at her is enough to make her tremble?

And she jumps like a kangaroo, for what purpose?

Alice, taking off! (I got nothing)

Btw. why no one called her on the most cliche foreign name yet?

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

Damn, that girl was trembling too much. I do feel the pain, though.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I rather enjoyed that. What I found particularly well done was the bullying; it was not that manga-stereotypical most-beautiful-and-popular-girl-at-the-school picking at the unattractive, 'ugly' duckling (I mean, unattractive by in-universe manga standards, Himeko anyone?). This one portrayed it fairly realistically, with bullies going for Minori because of her meek personality. The bullies themselves are not portrayed as being a part of any 'popular' crowd (at least, that is the impression I got), and the rest of the girls in the class are clearly uneasy about the whole thing, although none of them try to intervene, again, something that happens all too often in real life.

Minori is cute. The fact that I usually hate characters who are not capable of standing up for themselves, and despite that I found her to be appealing, has me thinking that I might really like this series. As for Alice... well... the moment I saw those sharp eyes, combined with that hair... and a sword... My mind drifted to Signum (although Fate also fits nicely), and voila, sold! Also, that lithe, slightly muscular body... (drools uncontrollably)

On a completely irrelevant side note, I also like her personality. Especially how she is not that stereotypical I-will-protect-you-at-all-costs-despite-the-fact-that-I-only-met-you-five-minutes-ago type of hero; she was perfectly comfortable with leaving Minori to her tormentors, with an almost visible not-my-business aura to it. Which makes her return after Minori manages to stand up to Satomi all the more "Yes!! Hooray!!!" kind of experience.

As for the French, well, I do not speak the language, so... And I also know nothing about fencing, so any unrealistic moves Alice makes will not dampen my experience. I mean, the most unrealistic thing in there was surely this (she clearly took the red pill).

In any case, I liked this chapter.

Wow I saw it ages ago, it was promising but so far no new releases so I forgot about it. Didn't expect it being uploaded here

How long ago? Because if this is one of those manga that get stuck at chapter 1 in perpetuity...

last edited at Sep 19, 2015 2:30PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

where's the muscle!!

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Wow I saw it ages ago, it was promising but so far no new releases so I forgot about it. Didn't expect it being uploaded here

How long ago? Because if this is one of those manga that get stuck at chapter 1 in perpetuity...

Oh, I was sure it was longer. As always my perception of time is terrible. It was posted on mangahere on 9 march 2015. This is where I read it. So there is still good chance for updates.

joined Feb 9, 2015

Well I'd say it is standard intimidating factor. Like pointing the tip of the sword into someone face. And let's be honest she is facing some shy girl, why should she bother to be on guard when just looking at her is enough to make her tremble?

It's not about Alice, it's about the other girl. Pointing your weapon in someone's direction is generally considered to be a bad thing (unless you're doing it in self-defence), whether it's a gun or a melee weapon. Especially this close. A (supposedly) professional fencer should know better than to point a sword at someone who isn't wearing protective gear.

last edited at Sep 19, 2015 1:58PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It's not about Alice, it's about the other girl. Pointing your weapon in someone's direction is generally considered to be a bad thing (unless you're doing it in self-defence), whether it's a gun or a melee weapon. Especially this close. A (supposedly) professional fencer should know better than to point a sword at someone who isn't wearing protective gear.

Oh, yea. Missed the point then.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh, yea. Missed the point then.

Yeah, that's what I was hinting at, and made me say that this manga doesn't take fencing seriously. The mangaka doesn't have an adviser or didn't bother to do his research.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Don't forget the most obvious erroneous depiction of fencing with rapiers: She is SWINGING A RAPIER it as if it was a typical sword.

Tho then again, I was not gonna bother commenting about it cuz it's clearly not taking it seriously.

To reply you must either login or sign up.