Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Couldn't they solve that by simply taking a spare change of cloths to school with them, so they don't have to go back home to change and won't be advertising the school when they do whatever?

Would be much of a bother to bring clothes everyday with you just so you can change at school. Plus, the advertisement part work both way.Having kids walking home wearing their uniform on is good publicity for the school.

And frankly, it's not that strict either. Most of the time, as long as they don't get caught by a teacher that would actually care about it, students might still go out after school right away and never get bothered about it. They won't expel a student just because he went to mr Donuts after school.

Hum... don't they look a lot like Mari and Akko?

Well, Morigana Milk tend to use the same design a lot, so no surprise there. ^^;

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 6:23AM

Prprcharlotte_8
joined Apr 1, 2013

This already sounds really good! And they don't look like Mari and Akko at all so even better x)
I'm sure I'll really get to like Hina even more :D

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Dictatorship school.

21bd50a9-fb4d-47b7-a52f-4864e2af91fc
joined May 8, 2015

love the pacing, love the characters. if morinaga milk plan to keep it this way seems like this will be a good SoL yuri. I know we have himawari san but the yuri is so bare THE THIRST IS KILLING ME.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 7:35AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Hum... don't they look a lot like Mari and Akko?

Morinaga often uses the same archetypes. They were the same in Secret recipe and many others - in fact they didn't originate in girlfriends either - the 2 same character designs started out in 'even if we're not friends' as Hitomi and Nana.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 7:40AM

SeifukuGirls
Keepallyourgifsinabasket
joined Aug 17, 2013

Milk sure does like having the short one be the sempai.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

That is a problem for a lot of mangakas from what I can see. After mastering drawing few kinds of characters, even if they change design a little, they always look alike. Mangakas like Hiromu Arakawa, who can draw over 100 of characters and they all still feel distinct, are rare.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 8:19AM

Haha seems CUTE and FUNNY already, NEED MOOORE >~<

PrettyMitsuki
Glasses
joined Feb 21, 2015

Couldn't they solve that by simply taking a spare change of cloths to school with them, so they don't have to go back home to change and won't be advertising the school when they do whatever?

Would be much of a bother to bring clothes everyday with you just so you can change at school. Plus, the advertisement part work both way.Having kids walking home wearing their uniform on is good publicity for the school.

And frankly, it's not that strict either. Most of the time, as long as they don't get caught by a teacher that would actually care about it, students might still go out after school right away and never get bothered about it. They won't expel a student just because he went to mr Donuts after school.

oh I see but I don't think the problem was only wearing the uniform after school hours. Japan school teachers like to get involve in their students business like they monitor what they would do after high school if they would work or continue studying for university. It is also about the school wanting the students to focus only to their studies since if you have time to go for part time then you should use that extra time to study or something like that that is why some school prohibit part time jobs. Other reason for it is because senior high school is not mandatory in japan and a student with part time job would know the feeling of earning money in a young age and just might drop school and focus on their job... I'm not sure if this actually happen but it is possible. I think the probability that a teacher will caught you is lower than a schoolmate will see you working. If a student tell the teacher you have a part time job you will be punish even if you are not wearing your uniform but caught in the middle of your part time job. I think that was the small girl was worried about and its a good thing no one recognize her cuz a lot of her schoolmate went to their event.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 10:30AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Example of REAL Highschool rules in Japan

Looks a lot less relaxed than in manga.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

That's explain the high suicide rates.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 11:32AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

That's explain the high suicide rates.

Well, that is a downfall of "all for society" mentality.

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

' 6. Students may not have a sleep over at a friends house, even if their parents approve. ' So what parents think doesn't matter, after all they are just parents.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

They tell them how to live their whole life, they don't have right to think or to decide anything by themselves... that's sad

6 . Students may not have a sleep over at a friends house, even if their parents approve.

This one is the worst... the rules even follow you at home in your private life

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 11:44AM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

6 . Students may not have a sleep over at a friends house, even if their parents approve.

This one is the worst... the rules even follow you at home in your private life

That one's retarded. Who exactly is enforcing that? Does Japan expect legions of snitch younger siblings? What exactly did sleepovers do to deserve that? I can't make sense of it. You'd have to get really contrived, wouldn't you?

joined Jun 12, 2015

So, this is that new Morinaga Milk's manga? I'm in!

Buzzstyle
joined Feb 10, 2013

Here's an explanation. Normally, if the Japanese uses an English word, I'll use that word in the translation if at all possible. In this case though, it's not possible since gal means two completely different things to English speakers and Japanese speakers. Please see the translators note on page 2 for an explanation. For a more thorough explanation, search gyaru on the web.

Thanks for the answer and I deeply appreciate and enjoy your work bringing yuri manga to us. However I simply don't agree to your point. You say it's just not possible to use the word "Gal" in this instance because the meaning is different in Japanese, but I don't buy that. You're already using a translator's note to explain the made-up word "gyaru". How is that any different than using a translator's note to explain the use of "Gal"? "*In this instance the English word 'gal' means..." etc etc. Not only are you more faithful to the text but you've also educated your readership, not all of whom will know that gyaru is a transliteration of gal.

I'm not trying to badger you over this, and we will probably agree to disagree, but I just wanted you to see this issue from this reader's point of view. If you still feel your way is more appropriate, then I will respect that and back off.

Viradynastyicon1
joined Jul 1, 2014

I'm kind of amused that these characters are Hana and Hina seeing as how I have a ship from a game I like where the characters are named Hannah and Hinnah.
Alas, my ship could never be cause, well, that would be twincest and whatnot.
Well, here's hoping this will be a fun read.

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

@motojin

'gyaru' is not a made up word. It is how Japanese people pronounce 'Gal'. Yes it used to have the same meaning as 'Gal' when it was first introduced in Japan, but the meaning has changed since then. It no longer hold the same meaning as 'Gal'. Gyaru is now a subculture in Japan, and Japanese people do recognize the term gyaru, so again, it is not a made up word. You can try doing some research on that. There's a pretty long history regarding that one particular term.

Anyway, that Japanese school rule...are you sure it's a school and not a prison? Rule no 2,3,and 6 are ridiculous. They even follow you into your private life.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 12:28PM

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

Woo hoo , Got something new from Morinaga to read is just so good

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

That's an extreme example, if genuine. And even so, they can't monitor the students out of school to enforce their rules. And not all schools have the same rules, some stricter than others.

Knew a few high-schooler in my time in japan, some rules are quite common, especially the one regarding their "appearance", but from what they told me, a number of them didn't give much of a damn about them and it was fine as long as they don't get caught by a teacher that would actually give a damn himself. It was all about not being too obvious about it.

Then again, it depends on the school, it seems. the more "prestigious" they are, the more rules they set and the stricter they seem to get about them. Some way to appeal to parents, it seems, with some "we'll shape your kids into proper person by having them follow lots of rules !"

Won't stop hungry kids to go and get a snack on the way home if they feel like it. XD

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 12:54PM

BolbyNasution
Img_283753346996831
joined Jan 12, 2014

The previous comments really talked about how the school rule is odd, how the character designs seems alike. Here is the thing, the editor of Milk said that this was ok, the manga was published, means that there are schools that still doing that. Your school in japan didn't have that? Doesn't mean that other schools didn't either. Forget about the details. Enjoy the new series fellas~

MORINAGA IS BACK

Top%20tier
joined May 13, 2015

interesting, nice to see more of Morinaga

joined Apr 19, 2014

Milk sure does like having the short one be the sempai.

Both of my exes were shorter and older than me. It's me, I'm the audience Milk is pandering to.

This is a cute start but I've never really liked a Milk series over the long haul.

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

(Although I didn't go to highschool in japan I came from one in asia, which I'd rather keep private) and in my experience, it is a lot stricter than ones I see here in the west, for one, hair ties and jackets have color restrictions (we were only allowed to wear navy blue, white, brown and black) we weren't allowed to wear loose socks, gadgets were confiscated if brought inside school grounds, we weren't allowed to bring non-academic books, or add accessories to our bags that stood out, or have jewelry,
uniforms had to be worn properly, I forgot to wear my school ribbon once (I was new so I didn't know how bad that was) and a friend of mine ran from the 4th floor down to the school shop to get me one before the homeroom advisor came. We were also not allowed to go anywhere after school except straight home, I remember having gone to the mall in my uniform to buy art supplies and seeing a teacher walking around, I had to take out my school badge and hair tie and wear the pink sweater (I kept inside my bag) on my way out (I don't know how good that did me anyways considering the uniform was a Persian blue jumper skirt and was hardly easy camouflage), there was also a rule about wearing perfume, I remember being called into the principal's office after a teacher mistook my scented lotion for perfume because it was too noticeable. it never felt strange to me until I got to uni though and was surprised with the amount of freedom we were given.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 5:40PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.