Forum › Posts by Alien

joined Apr 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's hidari, who did character designs and I think? CG art for the Atelier Dusk trilogy. The kanji is hidari and it looks like their art so. I don't know much else about them though.

last edited at Dec 13, 2015 6:06PM

joined Apr 19, 2014

So Tales of Zestiria is coming out soon. Like tomorrow in Europe and the 20th in NA. Is anybody else here going to be getting it?

joined Apr 19, 2014

I don't remember the name but that Gust game that had two female main characters and aparently good amount of subtext, was it released yet?

Yoru no nai Kuni? It got delayed a couple times, it's currently set for Oct 1 I think.

last edited at Sep 8, 2015 7:47PM

Alien
Anime season 01 Aug 19:48
joined Apr 19, 2014

So uh the Jojo S1 dub dropped and it's sure a thing

They put the entire thing up at once on Amazon video, though I've heard it's only for American IPs??

Alien
joined Apr 19, 2014

I don't understand. Why you guys hate Hotaru so much?

Character is doing something despicable, relentlessly forcing herself onto someone

Hotaru just plain isn't doing that though. The one time Yuma actually told her to stop she did, and the next move she made was way less intense.

So.. If i know a girl and she is in a relationship, I can get all over her and take advantage of her confusion proceeding until she says "stop"? Then it does not count as forcing myself onto her? Instead of ya know, respecting someone and not aggressively move onto them like that in the first place? Sounds about right!

I think we talked past eachother a little, I was more focused on the "relentless" part.

The first couple scenes are kinda weird in how extreme Hotaru is, they kinda feel like mid-series scenes moved forward for a more memorable/impactful opening. Still, depending on how much of Hotaru's dialogue you believe, it seems like she was genuinely expecting Yuma to object earlier and only went that far because she thought Y was okay with it, which is a mistake but one a lot of people make. On the other hand if you think she was lying about everything during that first part on the balcony instead of just lying about why she was doing it, I suppose she comes off pretty bad.

I do really disagree on you presenting respecting someone and being aggressive (at least in the context of this comic) towards them as mutually exclusive though.

Alien
joined Apr 19, 2014

I don't understand. Why you guys hate Hotaru so much?

Character is doing something despicable, relentlessly forcing herself onto someone

Hotaru just plain isn't doing that though. The one time Yuma actually told her to stop she did, and the next move she made was way less intense.

It's gross that she can't be honest about what she's doing but she's also probably terrified of Yuma hating her if she were honest about why she's doing this stuff. It's 100% wrong but understandable.

From personal experience, there's 3 POV in a cheating situation. The one stealing, the one being stolen, and the one being cheated on. Frankly, the guilt should be on the one being stolen. Because they are the one who choose ultimately.

So here it's Yuma's choice. Hotaru is a trigger and not to be hated.

Some people are basically ignoring Yuma's agency yeah. In this chapter it's understandable though, her new relationship wiith Hotaru is shown as something disorienting and confusing atm, just starting to become something exciting at the very end. She hasn't actually exercised much agency yet.

Alien
joined Apr 19, 2014

Hotaru's character seems extremely fun after all this might be another childhood friend story where one like the other one making a good drama and just overall great. she sort of sadistic its really perfect, she has this gaze that throws u off like Mei (citrusreff)

Girl knows she wants to smooch Yuma and has the backbone to go for it even if she isn't sure Y could be attracted to her. It's pretty refreshing.

One smallish detail that makes her a bit more interesting (and perhaps more palatable to people who weren't comfortable with her) is that Yuma only outright told her to stop once in the first chapter (p11), and Hotaru backs off at that. She's absolutely aggressive but she respects Yuma's wishes when Y is clear about them.

joined Apr 19, 2014

This has a really good use of 4-koma style storytelling

Really? It would have been better off with a conventional page layout imo, it feels like it was converted from one to meet a pagecount restriction or something.

joined Apr 19, 2014

I'd actually only known about the first one. The other looks like something I might read though.

joined Apr 19, 2014

Mangagamer announced they're localizing a visual novel about gay ghost girls or something.

I don't really follow the VN scene anymore so I dunno their usual turnaround from announcement to release or their recent translation quality tho.

joined Apr 19, 2014

Finished POI season 1 last night and I'm in love with the series. I like how the flash backs are done sorta like a recording. I'm really liking Root so far as well.

The flashbacks are a liiitle more involved than that - they're the Machine accessing archived information to gain context on stuff that's currently happening, which is a tidy in-universe explanation for why they generally have something to do with the main theme of the episode. It also gives a little personality and presence to an entity that is otherwise extremely understated.

Root is cool but she also changes wildly over the course of the series. She has easily the most overt character development, and it's possible you won't like her as much at some points in that. Amy Acker was a fantastic casting though, she owns all of it.

Alien
Anime season 08 Jul 14:41
joined Apr 19, 2014

What is yuri?

A miserable pile of lilies.

joined Apr 19, 2014

I've started watching Person of Interest partially on this thread's recommendation (most of the way through s2, last saw Shaw's intro episode). It's pretty good! It's a lot more episodic and lower-budget than I'm used to, but it's interesting to see something with so many more hours to work with and every episode at least does something interesting with a character dynamic or part of the formula even if it isn't advancing the big plotlines.

Shaw is fun, hopefully she'll join the main team soon so somebody other than Reese can do some of the cool agent stuff and give him a contrast on the job. Plus she ends up with Root right? They had pretty good chemistry in their one scene so far, even if being tased, tied up, and almost tortured with a clothesiron is a pretty weird first date.

Bear is the best though.

Alien
Anime season 05 Jul 17:59
joined Apr 19, 2014

I should maybe clarify that "injecting the 90s" and "didn't like it" are not necessarily connected statements, though my post was ambiguous. Parasyte was very 90s too and pretty good (tho it got incredibly heavy-handed). The main thing that bothered me in UtT were the comedy bits in every serious scene, because I didn't think they were funny. At all.

Alien
Anime season 05 Jul 17:26
joined Apr 19, 2014

Rokka no Yuusha is light novel as fuck in writing but it's got solid direction and some neat aesthetic stuff. Unexpected pick up #1 unless that dries up in the next couple episodes.

Ushio to Tora makes me feel like I injected the 90s into my eyeballs and I don't like it.

Alien
Anime season 04 Jul 05:43
joined Apr 19, 2014

Classroom Crisis looks like it my have something going on between the two main girls. A bit early to call it yet, of course

Eh. Ehhhhhhh. It feels like a series that's going to play way too safe to even consider that.

A lot of the direction put me off, I probably won't bother with trying 3 episodes unless there's a lot of positive buzz for later episodes.

joined Apr 19, 2014

Milk sure does like having the short one be the sempai.

Both of my exes were shorter and older than me. It's me, I'm the audience Milk is pandering to.

This is a cute start but I've never really liked a Milk series over the long haul.

Alien
Anime season 27 Jun 16:32
joined Apr 19, 2014

so how Joseph is not a vamp??

Take your pick of
-something something residual hamon burned up Dio's vamp juice
-Dio's body was mostly Joseph's blood and didn't corrupt it enough to vampirize Joseph before he died
-Thematic significance of something being taken back from Dio and used for good

The UBW epilogue has pretty cool redesigns of Shirou and Rin. I think the Extra FeMC made a cameo in one of the high-school scenes. ufotable teasing Extra adaptation featuring one of the yuri routes??? Not happening

The magical MMA scene owned but it was only like 30 seconds long. I'd watch/read a Type-Moon version of Teppu.

joined Apr 19, 2014

Hooray, finally! Although I think there were lots of homo-subtext in previous games

Not really. There's a few (like probably less than seven or eight across 12ish games, mostly men) kinda-sorta-if-you-squint subtexty relations but for most of them you have to intentionally ignore one or more straight ships with vastly more in-game support.

Wait people the gay? Let's give them the gay

It really does feel like that, only one character per game is kinda like saying "Here's your homosexual shit, happy?"

Isn't it like that in a lot of games though? Like if there's a gay option, there'll only be one person available as opposed to the many straight options. At least that's how it is a lot of the time.

In something like Mass Effect where you have like half a dozen party members yeah. Fire Emblems usually have 30+ playable characters. Fates looks like has about 25 per version but I'm not too sure, haven't been paying much attention.

Alien
Anime season 23 Jun 18:33
joined Apr 19, 2014

Mikagure finale: Underwhelming in pretty much every way, which I guess is kinda par for the course. No real resolution w/r/t yuri. The credits are super long, I thought there was a post-credits scene but no there's just like four minutes of credits. Feels like it really wants a S2, probably won't get one.

joined Apr 19, 2014

So... any confirmation if Gusts gay RPG is gay?

You know...for science?

Boobies \o/

The producer essentially said they were leaving it at least somewhat ambiguous a while back. On the other hand this interview with the main voice actresses turned up recently and uh

However, when acting out these feelings in my role, I didn’t go into it with the approach of friendship, but that of 100% romantic love.

Can't verify how accurate that translation is tho, don't want to deal with the site they cited.

joined Apr 19, 2014

There's been like three general yuri manga rec threads in the last month alone, try looking through the last three or four pages for those.

Anime is a lot harder, depending on what you're looking for. If you want an anime with an actual relationship it's like immediately down to Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana, or Yuri Kuma Arashi. If you just want something with an ambiguously close relationship try looking through stuff with the anime tag for something that catches your interest.

joined Apr 19, 2014

If Berseria has at least one character who's interesting to play and overall trends closer to "team Destiny" design (yes I know there aren't separate teams any more) I'll probably like it a lot. I don't think there's really enough out to say anything else. Except maybe that Tetsuya Nomura is haunting whoever designed Velvet.

Here's another trailer for Gust's pretty gay-seeming ARPG. Mostly gameplay this time, with what's probably a battle theme.

I hope you can go through the entire game with a party of adorable tree golems and kittens.

joined Apr 19, 2014

Oh my fucking god Nier 2 by Yoko Taro and Platinum Games.

Alien
Anime season 16 Jun 10:25
joined Apr 19, 2014

Anime is dead. Long live anime.

Also have they said how long Gakkou Gurashi is running? If it's one season it's 100% not getting an anime-only ending. I'd guess that they're going to aim for the end of vol5, which is open-ended but works as an ending. That would average like 2.5 chapters/episode; it has fairly long chapters but I don't remember it being very dialogue heavy so it'd probably work okay.

If they're doing two seasons it's going to be a mess unless there's a lot more published than has been scanlated.