Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

joined Sep 15, 2013

Also why would they reboot the show and remove the yuri at a time when gay/lesbian themes in shows are so popular? That seems a really big mistake; though I think Fox would be the one to make the mistake...

I don't live in the us, so I don't know how fox functions but, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to remove one of the biggest reasons for the show being as celebrated as it is.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I think it depends on the network... I forgot how many seasons it was on, but it was during the 90s, which wasn't super gay like now. Also Xena wasn't overtly gay either if I remember correctly, the subtext lurked just below the surface, but I don't think they ever kissed.

Also why would they reboot the show and remove the yuri at a time when gay/lesbian themes in shows are so popular? That seems a really big mistake; though I think Fox would be the one to make the mistake...

I could be overly pessimistic. I really don't trust the TV industry with LGBT characters most of the time, but you're right, times are changing. The Fosters is about two lesbian moms and their kids and I believe it isn't marketed as a "gay show". In any case, a Xena reboot that doesn't unequivocally make Xena and Gabrielle a couple seems pretty pointless.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

^I dropped the Fosters after they started their Callie x Brandon bullshit again. And it was moderately boring.

Beware the Lesbian
Straight Girls Anonymous 3

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

^I dropped the Fosters after they started their Callie x Brandon bullshit again. And it was moderately boring.

Beware the Lesbian

I like the slow fade into colour for the girls, and how their dialogue became less and less stilted as they went along. Nice work.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Beware the Lesbian

That was... brilliant. I love how they did it like a 50's morality psa. lol

joined Mar 25, 2013

How do you know it will get retconned?

Because the reboot of a series is just that. Starting clean. Meaning retconning whatever previous stuff has happened. That is the definition of a reboot. It's also said outright by the creators and the two actresses who play Xena and Gabrielle that they were a couple. Kind of like Korra in that sense.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 1:02PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I never said that Xena and Gabrielle were not a couple... and a reboot doesn't necessarily mean everything will be rewritten. They may change a thing or two here and there, but if they changed a major something in the show, it's no longer that show, but something else.

joined Mar 25, 2013

^ You should read the definition of it. It may have the same characters, but everything that happened will be erased.

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

Supposedly the actress who played Xena will reprise her role. I don't know how though.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 1:16PM

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Weeeeeell, it's apparently an NBC show. They do have quite a few lebian characters on their shows. They are also known for making them have sex with men.

By the way, in case you didn't hate NBC's Chicago Fire enough already, they asked on twitter if the fans wanted the lesbian to be flipped.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 1:24PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

^ You should read the definition of it. It may have the same characters, but everything that happened will be erased.

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

Supposedly the actress who played Xena will reprise her role. I don't know how though.

I just looked it up...

Remake: A straight re-telling of a story for the purpose of updating it for a contemporary audience, or making it accessible to a different culture or region.

Reboot: A course correction done with the purpose of restarting a franchise. A reset. Fealty to the original story or film is not a priority.

Re-Imagining: A re-telling of a story, but only in the broadest sense. Characters and some story elements may be retained, but mostly plot and story have been repurposed.

https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/remakes-reboots-and-reimaginings/

And cutting out the yuri from Xena would be a retcon.

https://gideonsway.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/whats-the-difference-between-a-movie-remake-and-reboot/
This one kinda says what you did.

joined Jan 21, 2015

OriginalGengar

By the way, in case you didn't hate NBC's Chicago Fire enough already, they asked on twitter if the fans wanted the lesbian to be flipped.

...???
Apparently I don't hate Chicago Fire enough because I'm curious about this. I don't know how to Google it without getting a ton of even grosser links before finding the one I want though, so can I ask if you have a source on hand?

If I'm remembering the latest GLAAD report right, NBC doesn't have any more major queer female characters on their lineup. Some were killed off but most were on cancelled shows. So from this perspective, it would be a smart move to add some gay stuff in their Xena reboot, especially since people are expecting it anyway.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I think we should just wait and see, before we get outraged... I don't have much faith in networks not doing stupid shit with gay characters either though.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Weeeeeell, it's apparently an NBC show. They do have quite a few lebian characters on their shows. They are also known for making them have sex with men.

There you go. She will probably be with men for the first seasons as was the first show (haven't watched it) I guess it remains to be seen.

https://gideonsway.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/whats-the-difference-between-a-movie-remake-and-reboot/
This one kinda says what you did.

Yep. Case closed then.

I've never watched the show (as in every episode), I've only ever caught separate episodes when I was flipping the channels when I was young. It all depends on how they do it. It could be one big fuck you to the fans in the end. The actress who played Xena is also supposedly gonna be in a directing role so, there is still some hope for it.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

...???
Apparently I don't hate Chicago Fire enough because I'm curious about this. I don't know how to Google it without getting a ton of even grosser links before finding the one I want though, so can I ask if you have a source on hand?

^Well, they didn't outright ask if they wanted her to be flipped, I guess.

There was a storyline where the lesbian wanted to have a baby and some dude offered to donate his sperm. Turns out insermination costs like 40837342^736 dollars so he offered Plan B aka having sex with her. In the end her dad payed for it though.

Then, twitter.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 2:27PM

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

Then, twitter.

Well....at least most of the people (that I saw) responding realized what shitty and offensive writing that was.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Then, twitter.

Well....at least most of the people (that I saw) responding realized what shitty and offensive writing that was.

Yeah, but a look at the retweets and favorites might curb that enthusiasm.

joined Jan 21, 2015

There was a storyline where the lesbian wanted to have a baby and some dude offered to donate his sperm. Turns out insermination costs like 40837342^736 dollars so he offered Plan B aka having sex with her. In the end her dad payed for it though.

Then, twitter.

Oh my god. EW. I took a chance and briefly looked at the comments, and thankfully most people seemed outraged. 80 people still favorited it though. What the fuck. That kind of nonsense shouldn't be found on an official account.

The "lesbian wants a baby" trope is another one I loathe. Unfortunately it's all over the place.

joined Mar 25, 2013

The "lesbian wants a baby" trope is another one I loathe. Unfortunately it's all over the place.

That's fine if they want a baby, but I really don't understand what's wrong with adoption. Yes, a blood relation is important, but it's not all that matters.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That's fine if they want a baby, but I really don't understand what's wrong with adoption. Yes, a blood relation is important, but it's not all that matters.

Pregnancy is good fodder for a full season, though. It works well with television and you've got all that drama and the visuals are easy to do. A pregnant lesbian also kinda blows the minds of sheltered straight viewers.

Although I agree, adoption (even if it's not a baby) can make for great stories and it's underused when you've got same-sex characters.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Crownies did it pretty well though it was pretty much a way-on-the-side story. She should still drop her wife for Erin.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 4:02PM

Alextasha Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

telamon

cough in-vitro cough

Alextasha

Full Talk about: “Subversion and Stereotypes: Queer Representation on TV” about the history, current state, and possible future of queer characters on screen. (From Serialkon in Poland :P)

Wow, had no idea we had convention focused only on TV shows ;O And they made entire presentation in english nonetheless.

EDIT/ I checked convention program and it was only presentation done in english. Make me wonder why only this one was made that way since convention didn't give any vibe of being multinational and choosing only this topic to be presented in english is really questionable.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 5:23PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Nevri - nawet nie wiedziałam, że jesteś z Polski :D

And about this:

Make me wonder why only this one was made that way since convention didn't give any vibe of being multinational and choosing only this topic to be presented in english is really questionable.

First of all, Rowan is English speaker so maybe that's why it was in English? :P Second, it wasn't the only panel in English :) I have no idea how you checked the program 'cause look at first column. Also English panels' descriptions on catalog were in English

And If you would follow their Facebook you would see that EVERY post was in Polish AND English so I think it "gave vibe of being multinational"

Soooo before you will judge something, check it closely :P

No i zapraszam na trzecią edycję w przyszłym roku :D

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 6:00PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

That's fine if they want a baby, but I really don't understand what's wrong with adoption. [...]

It may be giving the writers too much credit, but the desire of being mother being different from the one of giving birth may be involved, thus

cough in-vitro cough

joined Mar 25, 2013

That's fine if they want a baby, but I really don't understand what's wrong with adoption. [...]

It may be giving the writers too much credit, but the desire of being mother being different from the one of giving birth may be involved, thus

cough in-vitro cough

Yeah, and I was saying besides insemination. Not all women want to go through birth but just want a baby/child.

To reply you must either login or sign up.