Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

joined Jan 21, 2015

Sure, I understand. I'm a sucker for happy endings myself, if there's romance I want them to ride off into the sunset, no matter how many contrived plot twists the story needs for it to happen.

In other news, people are getting suspicious that Arrow is planning to screw over its lesbian fans a second time. Glad I never started that one.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Haven't started Arrow myself but I've been skimming through some recaps and comments. I'm kinda curious what they're gonna do now, is there some more info on that?

joined Jan 21, 2015

Nothing official, just speculation. What we know for sure is that Sara, after being killed off last year, was resurrected and is going to leave the show (I think?) to become a lead in DC's upcoming Legends of Tomorrow. But it's very unlikely that they will let one of their shows have a lead LGBT character (when they adapted Hellblazer for TV, they used a shitty excuse to ignore the main character's bisexuality). When Sara came back they insisted that she was different and had "lost her humanity", and I think it's fair to assume they intend to discard her relationship with Nyssa. Apparently there's already a dude she can conveniently be shipped with.

Again, this is just stuff I've read, but I don't blame people for being suspicious. So far DC's track record with regard to LGBT representation hasn't been very good.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. That seems like something that would happen.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Exactly. Every time something bad happens to an LGBT character I just sigh and go "Of course they did that." I'm not even surprised anymore.

This article just got posted--a list of TV shows on Netflix with lesbian content, with a note for each one about the gayness level. I didn't know Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries had a lesbian side character; I've heard it's a good mystery show, I might give it a try.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Uh, so, this show isn’t very good.

That's not somerhing anyone should say about Sense8.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Uh, so, this show isn’t very good.

That's not somerhing anyone should say about Sense8.

Oh, shit. I thought in passing that it was an unpopular opinion when I saw that comment but I didn't think twice before posting the link. I know I hate when people criticize my favorite shows.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Eh, personal opinion and all that.

Anyways, there were some shows I didn't know about in that links, thanks. Anyone knows something about Bomb Girls?

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

What is it with DC and it's vendetta against gay people? Do they have some ancient fossil of a man in charge they have to obey or something?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What is it with DC and it's vendetta against gay people? Do they have some ancient fossil of a man in charge they have to obey or something?

Alan Scott should be enough for you animals!

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Miss Fischer's sounds fun... after I finish Jessica Jones.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Here's an original story about a badass lesbian sociopath. The author is a straight guy (I know many people have issues with straight guys writing lesbian romance so I'm mentioning it just in case, but being yuri fans I guess we're kind of used to it at this point), and it has a fair amount of sex scenes, but it's a decent way to spend an afternoon.

Sooo, who dies, the assassin or the protege?

I also watched Alto (I think someone mentioned it). It's funny, though it felt like a lot of stuff was missing in-between scenes. It's worth a watch though.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 5:57AM

joined Jan 21, 2015

OriginalGengar

Anyone knows something about Bomb Girls?

Canadian show, two seasons and a movie. One of the main characters is a lesbian. She spends the first season dealing with her unrequited feelings for a straight woman and gets a girlfriend in season 2. I don't know how that ends. I think the girlfriend leaves to fight in WWII but I'm fairly sure she doesn't die. I would remember hearing about a dead lesbian. In any case, many people raved about the show when it aired and said the lesbian character was amazing.

There's also a movie, but I remember people having mixed feelings about it. One particular plot point (not related to the lesbian) made fans really angry. Remember Serenity? It was something like that.

telamon

The assassin dies. I was actually surprised by the ending, because I'm an idiot and didn't look at the tags. It was a fitting ending though.

joined Mar 25, 2013

The assassin dies. I was actually surprised by the ending, because I'm an idiot and didn't look at the tags. It was a fitting ending though.

I see, thought it was gonna be like that. A few people have praised Engravings of Wraith by Kiera Dellacroix. It's again with an assassin though she doesn't take a protege. I haven't read it yet cause I'm wary that one of the two will die (and I don't have the time right now to read it in one sitting) You might wanna take a look at it.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll track that one down. I checked the reviews, and some said the book should get a sequel and that the ending was great, so both women probably make it. And since it's an Über (an AU Xena fic that got published with the names changed), I doubt the author would've written a lengthy story only to kill off one half of a beloved pairing. I think it's safe to read.

For more stories about lesbian assassins, see also the Elite Operative series by Kim Baldwin and Xenia Alexiou. I've only read the first one and it focused too much on the romance for my tastes, but there are 7 books in the series so if you like the first one there's a lot more to look forward to.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll track that one down. I checked the reviews, and some said the book should get a sequel and that the ending was great, so both women probably make it. And since it's an Über (an AU Xena fic that got published with the names changed), I doubt the author would've written a lengthy story only to kill off one half of a beloved pairing. I think it's safe to read.

I don't understand why they are called uber. If their names are different why would they count to Xena? I haven't watched the show btw. Also it looks like the show will get a reboot sometime in 2016 with the same actress.

For more stories about lesbian assassins, see also the Elite Operative series by Kim Baldwin and Xenia Alexiou. I've only read the first one and it focused too much on the romance for my tastes, but there are 7 books in the series so if you like the first one there's a lot more to look forward to.

Thanks, I'll check it(them) out. But it sounds familiar.
Edit: I see why.

This is from the /u/ literature thread

I started the Elite Operative series and finished the first two, Lethal Affairs and Thief of Always. I was hoping it would be more campy like DEBS but I liked it despite the disconnected morality and the unfitting stupidity of the EOO command. The use of orphans who groom into assassin slaves who still love the organization that gives them no freedom or escape was kind of sick. The romance was fun, particularly book 2, but the love interests almost blindly support their assassin career when they find out and there didn't seem to be any reason why the EOO would even let them survive afterwards, which felt odd when they were so strict in everything else. This mostly made me want to read Engravings of Wraith again since it does everything right.

I remember hearing the rest of the EO series was not worth reading based on comments here, but I don't remember why. Are the other books worth it or does it go off the rails?

They start getting worse after that IMO. I stopped after the fourth one.

Also where Engravings of Wraith was recommended.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 9:12AM

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I also watched Alto (I think someone mentioned it). It's funny, though it felt like a lot of stuff was missing in-between scenes. It's worth a watch though.

Alto is awesome! Did you have problems with the sound? I always have problems with the sound.

Bomb Girls

And thanks, TB! I'll probably watch it then, that sounds pretty interesting.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 9:31AM

joined Mar 25, 2013

Alto is awesome! Did you have problems with the sound? I always have problems with the sound.

Not at all, there are torrents floating around of the Unrated version (don't know if there's any difference) and it was really good audio/video wise. Though, they used too much close-ups.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Nice. I bought it and my audio sucks. :/

joined Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of which, I don't know if it has been mentioned but Xena is gonna get a reboot sometime in 2016. Probably. Which means, everything will be retconned and no Xena/Gabrielle xD

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 9:51AM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

How do you know it will get retconned? The series sucked for the most part, they tried to hard with the gay part tgough and the last two seasons (maybe jst the last one) was god-awful.

I always thought Hercules was better, they had a lot of pretty girls on the show.

joined Jan 21, 2015

telamon

Thanks for all the info! If Engravings of Wraith has better assassin stuff than Elite Operatives it seems like something I'd enjoy.

I actually never researched where the term Uber was from, so I went to the Fanlore wiki, and here's a source. Fandom before the Internet was widespread seemed like a fascinating place.
I remember reading that an astonishing amount of lesbian novels were originally Xena fanfics. 50 Shades is the most famous example of applying search/replace to a fic and publishing it, but people have been doing it for decades. I also remember an unfortunate case where someone stole a Glee fic and published it under their own name.

Kitsune Spirit

How do you know it will get retconned?

Lesbians aren't a viable demographic for most network execs. I'd love to be proved wrong about this, of course!

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 10:33AM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I think it depends on the network... I forgot how many seasons it was on, but it was during the 90s, which wasn't super gay like now. Also Xena wasn't overtly gay either if I remember correctly, the subtext lurked just below the surface, but I don't think they ever kissed.

Also why would they reboot the show and remove the yuri at a time when gay/lesbian themes in shows are so popular? That seems a really big mistake; though I think Fox would be the one to make the mistake...

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 10:45AM

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I think they do kiss but Xena was inside Joxer body, aparently after the serie ended the comic rights were brought by Dynamite Entertainment and they made two story arcs, Contest of Pantheons and Dark Xena, that are a retcon to season 5 and 6, I think it's made by the creators thenselves so maybe it is canon.

joined Sep 15, 2013

Xena and Gabrielle do kiss, both are in their own bodies.

last edited at Nov 23, 2015 11:16AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.