Forum › Anime season

joined Jan 6, 2017

I hope the anime adaptation for Reborn to Master the Blade doesn't keep cutting important scenes in future episodes. Episode 4 cut a couple pretty important scenes that give some pretty vital characterization for the Highlanders that now leaves the episode without the needed moral complexity that it otherwise would've had. Which sucks.

I wouldn't say it cut anything that needed to be there. I mean, the only thing I even noticed that it cut was her forgiving the soldiers, instead we were told she would forgive them which does the same thing narratively. Sure the additional details in that scene were nice but they weren't necessary.

I mean, there’s a big difference between forgiving them and falling on your knees begging them to come back to protect the town. They also changed her dialogue around the levitation circle. She’s much more adamant that the lives of the people not be affected, and she says so with no uncertain terms. There’s no hesitation or saying she’ll “try”.

Like I said, narratively it does the same thing, not as well but it still does it. Seilyn/Cyrene is still the same character in both stories and the relevance of how she is stays, thus none of the "moral complexity" is taken out by the anime. Seilyn is a good person and also a Highlander, Highland as a society is rotten but not all Highlanders are bad, and some are even willing to fight against it. All of this stays within the anime even if it shaved some details

last edited at Jan 31, 2023 11:02AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

I hope the anime adaptation for Reborn to Master the Blade doesn't keep cutting important scenes in future episodes. Episode 4 cut a couple pretty important scenes that give some pretty vital characterization for the Highlanders that now leaves the episode without the needed moral complexity that it otherwise would've had. Which sucks.

I wouldn't say it cut anything that needed to be there. I mean, the only thing I even noticed that it cut was her forgiving the soldiers, instead we were told she would forgive them which does the same thing narratively. Sure the additional details in that scene were nice but they weren't necessary.

I mean, there’s a big difference between forgiving them and falling on your knees begging them to come back to protect the town. They also changed her dialogue around the levitation circle. She’s much more adamant that the lives of the people not be affected, and she says so with no uncertain terms. There’s no hesitation or saying she’ll “try”.

Like I said, narratively it does the same thing, not as well but it still does it. Seilyn/Cyrene is still the same character in both stories and the relevance of how she is stays, thus none of the "moral complexity" is taken out by the anime. Seilyn is a good person and also a Highlander, Highland as a society is rotten but not all Highlanders are bad, and some are even willing to fight against it. All of this stays within the anime even if it shaved some details

It lessens the impact IMO. For the townspeople, seeing a Highlander on her knees, pleading with them to stay and help the town was a big moment for all of them to come together. The way it is now, it’s almost an offhand remark to forgive the people that rebelled. But I’ll see how future episodes play out. The anime will pass the manga soon anyways so I won’t have anything to compare it to since I haven’t read the LNs.

It’s also entirely true that I’m way over analyzing the plot of a battle maniac anime.

last edited at Jan 31, 2023 11:53AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

It lessens the impact IMO. For the townspeople, seeing a Highlander on her knees, pleading with them to stay and help the town was a big moment for all of them to come together. The way it is now, it’s almost an offhand remark to forgive the people that rebelled. But I’ll see how future episodes play out. The anime will pass the manga soon anyways so I won’t have anything to compare it to since I haven’t read the LNs.

It’s also entirely true that I’m way over analyzing the plot of a battle maniac anime.

Ah. Maybe the scene was stronger in the manga then? In the LN I felt like it didn't have much impact as a scene. It served to further show her kindness but not much else imo. Though that might just be because of the way I read them

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

dist4nt dre4mer posted:

Anyway, what I wanted to talk to you about is not really anime and I hope you don't mind me dropping here to recommend a, I'd say, must watch show (fans are currently fighting "Holy war" on Twitter for a 3d season). Maybe some of you have watched it, Warrior Nun. Give it a chance if you have time, 2 seasons are out (Netflix canceled the 3d, therefore the fight), I promise many of you won't regret it and will fall in love with the story, characters and production. Also, come join us on Twitter and help us #SaveWarriorNun

Hey, thanks for posting this. Watched it while recovering from various winter illnesses, and it's shockingly decent, especially with a title like that. Shame it got Netflix'd, it's so tough to find decent GL with action that actually complements it.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Just rewatched Akebi. Cloverworks outdid themselves with that series. Would love to see it get a season 2 once Hiro gets more done. I’m willing to wait, especially if we get that “hopeful” Komichi/Erika kiss from the play animated. Plus the whole Tokyo arc would be gorgeous.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

No context Bofuri

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Sally knows what is going to happen that night.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Maybe it's because I haven't read volume 8 yet but episode 5 of Bofuri season 2 was much better than 1 - 4. 5 is on par with season 1 while 1 - 4 all felt kind of rushed and messy
And it's got a cute snek so it's automatically 10/10

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

LYCORIS RECOIL SEASON 2 LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/lycoris_recoil/status/1624369212251844608?s=20

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Well, there's a new animation project, but it's not guaranteed to be a second season. Could be OVAs or a movie

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It's so unreal how much yuri we're getting since Lycoris, like, if it was just Gundam that would be BIG, historical even but no we're getting 2 isekai yuri anime, music, fantasy and two more that I'm surely forgetting,which doesn't' sound like much compared to all the rest but compared to previous years is unprecedented.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

New Trailer for "Yuri is My Job" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik1BRfpIaUY

Air date is 4/6/23

last edited at Feb 14, 2023 3:43PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

I already shipped them quite a bit thanks to the novels but season 2 is really making me ship Maple x Mii a lot. They are so fucking cute I love them.
Sadly now it goes on hiatus for two weeks. I'm only down to 2 shows out of the 5 I started this season with (one I dropped and 2 are on hiatus)

last edited at Feb 15, 2023 4:58PM

joined Jun 21, 2021

Dang things really escalated in that latest MagiRevo episode :0 Convenient how the manga translation is right before that part so it came totally out of left field

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yeah I wasn't expecting a full 180 % turn like that, it's very exciting and also meaning that they probably won't be able to stay in the castle anymore... If the prince really uses that power

joined Jun 21, 2021

Yeah I wasn't expecting a full 180 % turn like that, it's very exciting and also meaning that they probably won't be able to stay in the castle anymore... If the prince really uses that power

yea for real. I can see this going three ways and all of them are interesting.

1) Anis fails, is branded a traitor, has to flee.
2) Anis wins, is branded a traitor anyway, still has to flee.
3) Anis wins, doesn't have to flee but has to content with being crown princess now.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

yea for real. I can see this going three ways and all of them are interesting.

1) Anis fails, is branded a traitor, has to flee.
2) Anis wins, is branded a traitor anyway, still has to flee.
3) Anis wins, doesn't have to flee but has to content with being crown princess now.

Considering what we've seen from the king and Euphy's father so far, the third option seems by far the likeliest.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I think the fact that they are good parents would make a good (and cruel) contrast if they're brainwashed and exile her daughter.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I think the fact that they are good parents would make a good (and cruel) contrast if they're brainwashed and exile her daughter.

That would require her to lose, though, which also would mean vampire girl's death, and I don't see Anis letting that happen on her watch.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Unfortunately there are too many variables in this to perfectly predict the outcome. I am rather certain that whoever is controlling the conspirators and Algard has an ace up their sleeve. It would not surprise me if they appear during or after the fight to throw another wrench in the situation. I also do not believe that returning the vampire magicite is the only way to save Lainie, so perhaps even in the case that Algard escapes or gets his magicite taken from him by a third party, Anis may be able to do something for her. Whether it would be through magicology or inserting another magicite into her, I cannot say.

Of course I could simply read the Light Novel, but there is some excitement in helplessly waiting for the resolution weekly too.

On that topic. I honestly thought Algard will just turn out to be a jerk or will have some very selfish motivation for doing all of it, but it was actually very noble. Sure, his methods are not ideal, but I can't even really argue with his reasoning for doing it this way.

I find that hard to agree with honestly. His methods are not just "not ideal", if you take his words at face value and do not assume that the real puppetmaster has a more thought out plan, he truly just said "Might makes right". The idea that simply becoming so powerful that nobody can oppose him will allow him to solve everything is very far down the list of good reasoning.

The political landscape of this kingdom is flawed for sure and Anis magicology is a far better way to even the odds for commoners and nobility. It is clear that the story puts Algard into the position of villain even though him and Anis do not have fundamentally different goals, simply because he is doing it completely wrong. Sacrificing Lainie without hesitation and going as far as to say that he does not feel guilt or remorse about it shows a lack of the symapthy for people that his plan is supposed to be based on. It makes him look like far more of a hypocrite than Anis would be even if she kept dodging responsibility.

That is not to say Algard doesn't have a point about his sister, but his attempt to gaslight her into making it all her fault and to wash his hands clean of his own incompetence and callous actions is revolting. His inferiority complex seems far more integral to the path he took than the mere "bad path paved by good intentions" that he is trying to sell us.

last edited at Feb 25, 2023 3:42AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So, next season:

For sequels, there's the continuing adventures of the space tanuki and her bride, and more Birdie Birdie. And Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, if you consider that yuri (I don't)

Yuri is My Job (Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto Desu) is, you know, an actual yuri series. I personally found the characters to unlikable to enjoy the manga, but it's the only thing here with guaranteed yuri

World Dai Star is basically promoting itself as yuri, with all the emphasis on the two leads being close. Doesn't mean they'll actually hook up, but I'd at least expect strong subtext

Kizuna no Allele has one dude, and he doesn't look likely to be important. Otherwise it looks to be fairly standard female idol fare. With Kizuna Ai branding for some reason

Alice Gear Aegis Expansion is all-female, more or less. I have no familiarity with the franchise, and so have no idea if yuri is something that should be expected. ...It looks likely to be pretty bad regardless, though

Otaku Elf (Edomae Elf) is all-female. There's really no romance, but it shouldn't be difficult to ship the characters

Minor stuff: If Dead Mount Death Play stays true to the manga, it'll have a couple entirely pointless lesbian sex scenes. And Jigokuraku's female leads kinda have something going on between them

last edited at Mar 1, 2023 12:23AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

So the way that conflict in MagiRevo resolved ended up being kinda bittersweet in the end, didn't expect that but I liked it. Algard didn't earn any sympathy from me but def some pity that wasn't there before.

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Seems to me he became very depressed and ended up snapping due to it.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Algard got off far too easily and that is all I will say on that matter.
Looking forward, Anis will probably be faced with the throne succession again which will be rather awkward.
I'm glad Lainie has her own established yuri pairing now, even if it does not seem to be quite that solid yet. Ilia chose the gayest method possible to give her blood barring letting her bite into her loins. That should count for something.

last edited at Mar 5, 2023 12:19PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ooh now we know why Magical Revolution didn't end with just a shonnen battle... We're actually getting in the difficult part now, and it's going to get ugly because of course, royalty and bla bla bla, it was so so so difficult to watch the episode, really made me feel bad for everyone involved, but what's worse is that you're hoping for a good solution but it looks like Euphy will replace a problem with another problem (or more like the same problem) suddenly, everyone (Except Tilty) is an expert when it comes to ignoring the main issue, so this is a good opportunity to wait, and watch 11 and 12 together.

To reply you must either login or sign up.