Forum › Anime season

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Komi028 posted:

Manaria is selling like hotcakes because the blurays have codes for gran blue, so they can confirm everything they want in this show, the otakus are forced to buy the blurays regardless if they want those codes.

That is actually very good idea. Glad to hear that.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

No one can't stop them hahahahaha

joined Jan 21, 2015

Because yuri doesn't sell. As long as it isn't confirmed, otakus can imagine them as their waifus and ignore (or not realize) all the subtext you throw at them. Not confirming yuri relationships is a calculated move by studios to make sure to not alienate the biggest part of their audience, male otakus who actually spend all their money on their stuff.

Oh yeah, I know that. There are people who watch Manaria Friends, or Flip Flappers or Princess Principal, and think that the two girls really are just friends, and their money is important. What I should've added is that I don't understand why some few and far-between series do include canon yuri, since it doesn't sell. I guess we should just count ourselves lucky that there are exceptions at all.
But that's good news about Manaria Friends.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Expect the unexpected

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Because yuri doesn't sell. As long as it isn't confirmed, otakus can imagine them as their waifus and ignore (or not realize) all the subtext you throw at them. Not confirming yuri relationships is a calculated move by studios to make sure to not alienate the biggest part of their audience, male otakus who actually spend all their money on their stuff.

Oh yeah, I know that. There are people who watch Manaria Friends, or Flip Flappers or Princess Principal, and think that the two girls really are just friends, and their money is important. What I should've added is that I don't understand why some few and far-between series do include canon yuri, since it doesn't sell. I guess we should just count ourselves lucky that there are exceptions at all.
But that's good news about Manaria Friends.

To be fair a LOT of anime that aren't explicitly romances have low key het pairings with romantic subtext that is never properly confirmed. It's not like this only happens with yuri flavored relationships. I will admit it is more common with yuri pairings, but it's certainly not unique to them.

I think this is also starting to change for the better with time. Just look at this last year or so or even this season. We have two shows at this moment that are not romances and which have unambiguous yuri elements in them.

Endro has two yuri crushes and a character that is strait up declaring she will rewrite the laws of the kingdom so she can get married to another female character, and Wataten! is a cute girls doing cute things series with two very unambiguous yuri crushes at the heart of what goes on in the series. Both of these are shows that could have easily left the yuri as subtext only without changing the over arching series much at all yet they didn't.

I should add than Manaria friends has already toed the line line between what is subtext and not, and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes explicitly yuri in the future.

last edited at Feb 10, 2019 7:42PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

kemofure2 ep5

KABAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

joined Dec 16, 2013

Manaria Friends and Kobayashi Maid should get crossover!

joined Jul 19, 2018

Manaria Friends and Kobayashi Maid should get crossover!

Kobayaashi is getting a second season.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

As of episode 5 Endro has outed itself as an outright yuri with at least two confirmed ongoing yuri crushes. It's not a romance centric series but all of the romance elements we have seen so far are yuri. (ノ^∇^)

I wonder how this'll turn out, though. The way Rona is presented makes me think she may end up as an antagonist

Bermuda, the gay mermaid show finally had its showing of its first in-universe movie, a yuri Musical is a fitting choice.

Is the show worth watching for non-yuri reasons, though? I didn't hear very good things about it during the premiere weeks

Dragon Maid

...While I liked the anime, I didn't like much of the manga past what's already been adapted. I'm not sure how to feel about this

kemofure2 ep5

Kind of a meh episode, but that sure was an ending. Digging the new design

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

Dragon Maid

...While I liked the anime, I didn't like much of the manga past what's already been adapted. I'm not sure how to feel about this

Are you talking about that free loader big titty new dragon? I don't like her at all, it doesn't help the story at all and it would be awesome if they just skip it but then we wouldn't have enough for 12 chapters.... I guesssssssss.
Plus I was waiting for something amazing to happen after the Kanna arc(in a yuri way)... But nothing (In fact I was waiting for THE END), so I guess this is why Kyoani likes it?

On another note... BangDream ep04.... WOW I already knew I would like that crazy band since ep01, they looked cool but I had some luck and saw the ep04 in a good huge TV and it was AMAZING, what an expectacle of visual CGI hahaha, I feel like they made all the series CGI JUST for that episode... and it was worth it.

last edited at Feb 12, 2019 12:11AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Bermuda, the gay mermaid show finally had its showing of its first in-universe movie, a yuri Musical is a fitting choice.

Is the show worth watching for non-yuri reasons, though? I didn't hear very good things about it during the premiere weeks

I'd say its target audience is 7-10 year old girls and there's very little in it for grown-ups.

last edited at Feb 12, 2019 1:31AM

joined Jan 21, 2015

To be fair a LOT of anime that aren't explicitly romances have low key het pairings with romantic subtext that is never properly confirmed.

Fair point! Although in those cases almost everyone agrees it's meant to be a romance. But I think it's encouraging that there are more technically non-yuri series with serious subtext than ten years ago, and some that try to be different. And I'm sure it's going to get better.

It's cute, but very slow-paced. It could help if you have trouble sleeping, I guess.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is weird how Bangdream s2 was made like a continuation of the game events and not the first anime, and they just keep showing all these bands and they all know each others just fine... Is still easy to follow but weird, because instead of character development of the main girls we get to know all these other bands instead.

joined Jul 19, 2018

So what's the working list for yuri anime this season?

So far I've seen Wataten!, Endro! and Mysteria Friends. There is also apparently a gay mermaid show but I can't find it on any of the big three streaming services?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Looking East posted:

So far I've seen Wataten!, Endro! and Mysteria Friends. There is also apparently a gay mermaid show but I can't find it on any of the big three streaming services?

Don't tell anyone

And well I checked and kissanime has it too, so unless you meant legal services, then I guess you're out of luck.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 5:13PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So far I've seen Wataten!, Endro! and Mysteria Friends.

There's Asuka, I guess. Yuri is present but not focused upon

There is also apparently a gay mermaid show but I can't find it on any of the big three streaming services?

Huh, Sentai licensed it and said it'd be streaming, but I guess they never got around to it?

joined Jul 19, 2018

Looking East posted:

Don't tell anyone

And well I checked and kissanime has it too, so unless you meant legal services, then I guess you're out of luck.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a strong believer in supporting the creators if they give me a reasonable and sane way to do it, but I have no qualms about doing a little bit of shady sailing if they don't.

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

"Bermuda Triangle ~ Colorful Pastorale" is on Hidive.

joined Dec 16, 2013

Bermuda Triangle anime is good!
https://imgur.com/We3gRvR
Asexual Mermaids?

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 1:37AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Bermuda Triangle anime is good!
https://imgur.com/We3gRvR
Asexual Mermaids?

Lol with the galpals

Speaking of super romantic best friends... Manaria friend is not for the faint of heart!!!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Suprised no one has gone HHHHNNNNGGG over the new PreCure here.

Mio-I mean-Lala is a treasure. Hikaru x Lala is probably going to be the main ship heh ship. The next 2 are apparently the sun and the moon soo...who knows? Maybe they'll get those moments.

Space Idols PreCure gets thumbs up from me.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Jumping into precure at this point feels like jumping into one piece or star wars

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Suprised no one has gone HHHHNNNNGGG over the new PreCure here.

I like the style, but just didn't find the show itself very interesting after the first episode

Jumping into precure at this point feels like jumping into one piece or star wars

Each series is it's own continuity, though

last edited at Feb 27, 2019 9:13AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Still precure feels like an universe...

Anime for Are You Lost? https://youtu.be/6lOEofmizq4

Is anyone watching Asuka maho shoujo OPs something? I've heard there's even torture there

My first drop of this season... Egao No daika you can't just keep killing everyone... Like, yeah we get it, war is bad bla bla bla

Today's manaria was 1000% pass subtext

last edited at Mar 3, 2019 1:15PM

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Pastel Memories episode 9 contender for the gayest episode of the season, and yes I already watched the Manaria episode from yesterday.

Even if you dropped the show, this episode alone is worth watching.

To reply you must either login or sign up.