Forum › Stretch discussion

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

It's slice of life, stories don't generally move fast in this genre and unlike most slice of life series, there is actually quite a lot of story in this series.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, absolutely nothing happened storywise since chapter 32. Just Ran and Keiko living like a married couple, without being married or even being a couple.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Well, absolutely nothing happened storywise since chapter 32. Just Ran and Keiko living like a married couple, without being married or even being a couple.

Is that a bad thing ? Anyway, I wouldn't say nothing happened, chapter 35 clearly had some meanings behind it. The pace seems more or less the same as always and I personally like it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This chapter felt like a filler to me. Much like hot springs/day at the beach/pool episodes in anime. An opportunity for service and nothing much else.

I still enjoy Stretch very much, but as I said, I wish the story/relationship would move forward, instead of being frozen like this.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Depends on what you see as a story. A lot has happened in my opinion. There's Keiko getting better with her trauma and nightmares. And Keiko adapting to Ran's teasing and trolling. And Ran going worried and/or jealous because of it. Ran trying to align the interests of the two and get closer to her senpai. And Ran mentioning drinks a lot, especially when things don't work out the way she wants them to. Finally, the idea of two separating has been plotted. It's not a story as in first A did B, then C did D - it's rather like seemingly random puzzle pieces forming a single picture after being introduced to our eyes.

btw, checked the Dogura Magura reference from ch.35 - book by Yumeno Kyuusaku recommended to Keiko by Ran. Apparently there's also a movie after the novel - Ran sure likes deep stuff. All the more reasons to adore her!

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

This manga is going to kill me.

If I die and Shou doesn't make a yuri happy ending... Avenge me!!

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

People complaing about no yuri need their goggles fixed. This chapter was very subtexty for me at least. :)

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

People complaing about no yuri need their goggles fixed. This chapter was very subtexty for me at least. :)

Thats the joke.

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

It is just me, or chapters are coming out faster? This can be a good sign?

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I don't think so, I think it vary between 2 weeks and a month since the beginning. the one week interval probably is an exception.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Next chapter in 2 weeks.

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

This chapter felt like a filler to me. Much like hot springs/day at the beach/pool episodes in anime. An opportunity for service and nothing much else.

I still enjoy Stretch very much, but as I said, I wish the story/relationship would move forward, instead of being frozen like this.

I disagree. We actually just learned this chapter how curious Keiko is of Ran's body - or rather, how comfortable she is with her. Considering she groped Ran out of the blue and walked in on her in the sauna and was just like, "Close your legs." Instead of overreacting. So it's a step forward for her character, since we just know her as the stickler of the two.

And they went out! They're finally out of that apartment and doing other things like going to yakitori (without Keiko questioning Ran's sanity). I personally would love if they explored the city more often than just seeming to be just roommates.

Good chapter!

Lg1wyutq
joined Mar 5, 2015

Hey guys, the third volume extras and color chapter are up. Terribly sorry for the delay—finals are killing me. Enjoy!

justtestinfo
Tumblr_npkmdbqiwy1s7m7t3o1_1280
joined Jul 21, 2013

Hey guys, the third volume extras and color chapter are up. Terribly sorry for the delay—finals are killing me. Enjoy!

wow, oh wow, that coloured chapter for vol. 3..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. SO CUTE, please just make it official already.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Nya-chan

That's the problem. "Nothing happened." Like others have mentioned, plenty has actually happened. Slice of life can look like filler when in reality, the filler is actual story being told. We are seeing the characters interact with each other. More insight into their daily lives, how they speak, subtle cues about routines, how they deal with daily problems, how they cope with certain things, what they like, what they love, what excites them and what doesn't. Slice of life is that, a look into the daily life of characters. This story just happens to capture life pretty damned well mixing the mundane, the tragedy, heartbreak, drama, comedy, and doldrums of daily life. And lately, I'm beginning to think this belongs up there with the greats of the slice of life genre, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Aria (both with female protagonists... interesting).

The story doesn't JUST revolve around their pasts, it's always moving forward in their daily lives as well. For example, we found out Keiko really doesn't know a whole lot about Ran despite living with her. In fact, she maybe doesn't know anything at all besides the facade Ran appears to be putting up. We also learn that Keiko appears to be finally pulling through her nightmares and Ran is clearly worried about her to the point she wants to drown her worries in booze. Seriously, going by your idea of story in Stretch, this was MAJOR story development and it was totally passed off in an off-hand kinda way. Shou gave use chapters of back story to Keiko and these nightmares and in two pages, Keiko appears to just be over it and we're not presented with some big dramatic cliche, "aha!" moment. One day you just kinda go, "Oh! I'm apparently over that issue!" without ever realizing the exact moment you got over it.

The past few chapters have shown just how close these two are and yet how distant from each other they are as well. Keiko is seriously thinking about her future and Ran is actually a serious and deep person as well. Both discovered something about each other they never knew and both are comfortable enough to horse play in the bath. There is plenty of story going on. And while like many, I would LOVE to see these two start a romantic relationship, I'm just enjoying the ride. However, in regards to a romantic relationship between the two... I feel like it'd be very physical with little to know maturing on their part. I think it may have to do with overcoming their pasts and problems that stemmed from them before taking that step into a relationship... but maybe that's just me and they could start before either one is truly over their problems?! o0

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

So kawaii

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Nya-chan

Random Reader's words

The tl;dr of that is basically that the story has progressed considerably, there's just a lot of hidden plot Shou's gonna cash in on. Eventually.

I like the pace. It's mostly a day-in-the-life kinda story with a wham chapter of angst or drama here and there.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

That's the problem. "Nothing happened." Like others have mentioned, plenty has actually happened. Slice of life can look like filler when in reality, the filler is actual story being told. We are seeing the characters interact with each other. More insight into their daily lives, how they speak, subtle cues about routines, how they deal with daily problems, how they cope with certain things, what they like, what they love, what excites them and what doesn't. Slice of life is that, a look into the daily life of characters. This story just happens to capture life pretty damned well mixing the mundane, the tragedy, heartbreak, drama, comedy, and doldrums of daily life. And lately, I'm beginning to think this belongs up there with the greats of the slice of life genre, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Aria (both with female protagonists... interesting).

The story doesn't JUST revolve around their pasts, it's always moving forward in their daily lives as well. For example, we found out Keiko really doesn't know a whole lot about Ran despite living with her. In fact, she maybe doesn't know anything at all besides the facade Ran appears to be putting up. We also learn that Keiko appears to be finally pulling through her nightmares and Ran is clearly worried about her to the point she wants to drown her worries in booze. Seriously, going by your idea of story in Stretch, this was MAJOR story development and it was totally passed off in an off-hand kinda way. Shou gave use chapters of back story to Keiko and these nightmares and in two pages, Keiko appears to just be over it and we're not presented with some big dramatic cliche, "aha!" moment. One day you just kinda go, "Oh! I'm apparently over that issue!" without ever realizing the exact moment you got over it.

The past few chapters have shown just how close these two are and yet how distant from each other they are as well. Keiko is seriously thinking about her future and Ran is actually a serious and deep person as well. Both discovered something about each other they never knew and both are comfortable enough to horse play in the bath. There is plenty of story going on. And while like many, I would LOVE to see these two start a romantic relationship, I'm just enjoying the ride. However, in regards to a romantic relationship between the two... I feel like it'd be very physical with little to know maturing on their part. I think it may have to do with overcoming their pasts and problems that stemmed from them before taking that step into a relationship... but maybe that's just me and they could start before either one is truly over their problems?! o0

RR, you write so delicious! Really enjoy reading your posts :)

joined Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for all the work translating this boon.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

All this character development is nice and all, but something has to happen. Shou knows perfectly that readers are waiting for a yuri relationship. All this blushing, boob groping, pretend kiss, etc is just Shou trolling us under the guise of character development.

Everyone already understood a few chapters ago that these two have gotten really close FRIENDS with some vague UST. That relationship won't evolve magically into anything more.

I don't want this manga to end soon but I want it to give a plausible development leading to mutual understanding that things can't stay that way forever. Right now, if feels like these characters who say "just being by her side is enough"... lies, lies and more lies. Humans are made of desires, humans are naturally selfish, so suppressing their desires or needs for too long leads to insanity.

I don't know what Shou is planning, but it better be good, with all this teasing, and not some cheap trick as in "after a few month/years of living together, Ran leaves for Antartica to be a doctor and the day they part, after a teary good bye, she gives a kiss to Keiko. The End."

I'm sure it won't be like this of course, but you get my drift. I have high hopes for this story but for now, it leaves something to be desired.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

If we are going by real life logic than their relationship has transcended the natural sexual desire into something far greater. (or far less, depending on your point of view)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Who the hell transcend their sexual desires in real life? Are you alluding that Ran and Keiko are saints? They are far from that.

If you have unresolved sexual desires in real life, you masturbate. Maybe Ran and Keiko do that, but I don't think Shou is going to show it to us.

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Thanks for this!

Ran actually kissed Keiko but told her that it was just her fingers That is what I want to believe xD

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

''THEIR'' relationship has transcended the sexual desires, there is no need even for words for them, Ran trips and drops the sweets she made and Keiko, without even questioning anything like most would do, picks some up and eats them.

I have heard of Stars On-TV-Show-couples where people became furious when they found out that they weren't married in real life but instead choosed someone who most thought were utterly boring and non-fitting but appaerently there doesn't need to be a great chemistry to find the person you wanna fulfill your more instinctual desires with

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

Thanks for this!

Ran actually kissed Keiko but told her that it was just her fingers That is what I want to believe xD

I want to believe that, too

To reply you must either login or sign up.