Forum › Caged Longing discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

(since they so often seem to stray far far away from the original characters)

I mean, that what doujins are for.

Fair enough. What I meant, though, is that I often feel like they're not even the same characters anymore —as in, they don't act like themselves at all. It's like the author's fantasies stray too much from who the original characters were lol
Of course, if you think that's part of what makes doujins enjoyable, that's fine, I just don't like it much.

On the contrary, I felt that this story did stay true to its characters: even if the scenario itself was not something that would ever happen in the original show, I could certainly see a future like this as possible in the circumstances that the author has presented.

TheLubeTube Uploader
Lesbianfiction!
Me-A Scans
joined Jul 27, 2018

This is too fucking real what the hell

joined Apr 10, 2021

(since they so often seem to stray far far away from the original characters)

I mean, that what doujins are for.

I don't quite agree with that. What doujins are for (well, aside from romance/personal wish fulfilment) are showing characters we know in situations the original show/s would not put them into, or develop them in ways original show wouldn't, (which is often romance) what-if scenarios and so on. If you start with licensed characters who are far away from their normal character, without showing first how they got there, you should use your own characters instead of leeching on popularity of someone else.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

On a side note, authors and artists seem to always portray nico not succeeding in her dreams. Even in the more lighthearted stories. Poor nico.

Cause the posibilities of succeding as an Idol after your 20s decreases incredibly (not like a singer or musician) and taking in count Nico isnt specially talented compared to other girls... Well i hate to say it but you need to be high to honestly think she could succed

Nico is also the one who fits thematically the best into these failure scenarios. She is the one who is the most obsessed with idols, idol culture, idol career, becoming the top idol, so of course that her failing at it is more impactful. I feel that most of the other girls would just continue with their lives relatively normally if they failed, whereas for Nico it represents the crushing of her biggest dream. That said, I would not mind more doujins with other LL grills failing...

As for this specific doujin, l liked it a lot. Has a grounded, realistic feel to it, and I could easily see it going this way in a more realistic setting. And I am a sucker for unhealthy relationships, so...

joined Jan 6, 2017

Ah codependency at its finest.

This is exactly how i imagine a realistic depiction of nicomaki relationship. Nico's too proud, and she shows glimpses of insecurity in the anime regarding maki's wealth.

I do also imagine a hopeful and a sorta happy future for them. Nico moving on/letting go of her dreams to become a superidol. Nico finding a source of income for herself, not being dependent on maki. Perhaps she can still work with idols as a manger/producer. Through a career, she can build back her confidence in herself. This then gradually leads to maki not feeling the need to coddle/overcompensate for everything.

On a side note, authors and artists seem to always portray nico not succeeding in her dreams. Even in the more lighthearted stories. Poor nico.

Cause the posibilities of succeding as an Idol after your 20s decreases incredibly (not like a singer or musician) and taking in count Nico isnt specially talented compared to other girls... Well i hate to say it but you need to be high to honestly think she could succed

To be fair, Nico would be extremely well known when she starts out (assuming she's going for it right out of high school) since she's a former member of the most famous school idol group ever™. I'm sure at least a few agencies would be very happy to cash in on that name and face recognition.

I think it's more of a question of "how long would it last?"; as in "would μ's hype alone be able to keep her recognisable?", "would people care about a lone Nico Yazawa?", "would Nico ever be able to make a name for herself or would she always stay as 'that girl from μ's'?", etc. I'd say a solo Nico would probably be kept around anywhere between 1 and 4 years and then fired because the hype has died down and people don't much care about her anymore

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Why is this a doujin? rofl
This could easily be a really solid manga story, but the author's too much of a shipper

joined Jan 22, 2015

Hell of a thing to read while drunk

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

This could be its own thing with how good it is

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

This is too fucking real what the hell

Now that's what doujinshi is for!

S
joined Jan 12, 2021

I recommended the NSFW tag here but I'm not sure if this deserves the Drunk tag?

joined Sep 6, 2018

My head hurts… “Gunjo”-style.

joined Aug 13, 2021

Hit different, maybe a little too different

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

It's nice to read something bitter every now and then.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Perfect doujin for a Saturday night

Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

Oof. I recall reading this raw some time ago, and thinking that while it was a good douj, there's no way I could ever bring myself to TL it (for length or content, take your pick).

Well yes but also no. I remember my idol hell years, following LLS! idols- from concerts to interviews, radios, etc. And if i remembered aright, they were all at least in their early twenties when they started. These girls' werent very 'talented' when they began too. And some fans were griping about their subpar singing. But the bulk of the fans defended them, pointing out that you arent really enjoying their performances for their talent, it's more about watching them have fun, etc. Though i guess it's a gray area since theyre technically VAs too, idk.

For the record, no, Shuka was definitely in her teens when she started - lied about her age on her initial application, even, iirc, to get in. I think the oldest was... Rikako? in her very early 20s.

2%20-%20jmdagff
joined Aug 31, 2014

It's very interesting but with each turning page it made me sadder... until in the end I didn't know how to feel about it.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Did I read it wrong, that Maki herself was an idol "five years ago"? If it is,there is no reason for her not to coach her gf.

joined Aug 1, 2019

Nico should take up VTubing, it's got a lower barrier for entry and if handled right can lead to a larger market audience.

Or at least a stable one.

Too bad Nico is 17 and the series launched in 2010, Vtubing didn't take off till around 2020 which would make her 27. Other VTuber's are around this age range though so it's a bit of a delay but definitely not impossible.

joined Aug 1, 2019

Did I read it wrong, that Maki herself was an idol "five years ago"? If it is,there is no reason for her not to coach her gf.

She was referring to µ's (muse), their school idol group. Nico was her senior in that same group.

If she could help Nico with this at all, it would be by flexing her connections through her medical career & family business.

joined May 25, 2021

That..was a lot to unpack. But it was great.

joined Aug 25, 2021

now now why would u hurt me like that

NamiBlueFeather
Riinu
joined Jun 10, 2019

A very long powerful one shot I say. It’s nice they depend on eachother, but at what cost…?

ParalyzingLullabie
joined Mar 1, 2022

Damn, the perfect theme song for this doujin it´s Them Changes by Thundercat

4888529%20_49b062906260ad84b9c4ba29a3fc40d1
joined Jul 25, 2014

i'm scared (´・ω・`)

13124839_1589396498054389_6595928075628769960_n
joined Nov 14, 2016

EMOTIONAL DAMAGE!

To reply you must either login or sign up.