Forum › Ninja Woman and Princess discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Gotta say that after the 17th variation on the same theme from this author, it's getting a little stale.

There isn't much similar beyond '2 females of different station' the story/setting and characters differ quite a lot each time.

Yeah the main common theme with this author is height difference and maybe age difference, which isn't even that present here. So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

Plus you'd think with how annoyed they sound they would have stopped reading this author's works after like 3rd or maybe 5th time, but here they are complaining about the "17th" time like they're being forced to read it.

Gotta read it to know if it's any good.

Haha well I definitely won't disagree there. I'll usually check out almost all new works even if I'm not a fan of an author, but I also fully acknowledge that's my choice and I'm not going to get annoyed with an author for writing something that's not my cup of tea, or for writing reoccurring themes, simple stories, so fourth. Critique can also be good discussion of course, but ultimately I'm mostly trying to say that people shouldn't feel forced or obligated to read/consume media that isn't to their liking. Life is shorter than we think and we should enjoy it while it lasts as they say.

There are different reasons to read fiction. For me, for this kind of thing, I don't worry too much about predictability or, up to a point at least, stuff being kind of the same. I don't read romance for ingenuity or innovation. Rather, the point is more about basic emotional payoff, and that requires certain patterns that fundamentally satisfy, and there aren't that many of them. So for instance, the (person) has to get the (person), and you have to feel like that's a good thing because they are good for each other in some way. Originality is nice, but if it changes the formula in a way that loses that fundamental payoff, it's worse than pointless. Which is not to say nobody is allowed to read romance with different objectives. And for that matter I don't have the same lens for everything I read; if I read a cyberpunk novel I'm looking for some very different stuff. Or if I see under author, "Dowman Sayman" I'll put on a rather different readership hat before going in . . .
Still, I think it's very common for people to read this sort of thing with the basic idea being that it will make us happier, tickle our warm fuzzies, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that--it's about basic human condition stuff.

last edited at Jun 20, 2021 4:02PM

joined Dec 8, 2019

Gotta say that after the 17th variation on the same theme from this author, it's getting a little stale.

There isn't much similar beyond '2 females of different station' the story/setting and characters differ quite a lot each time.

Yeah the main common theme with this author is height difference and maybe age difference, which isn't even that present here. So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

Plus you'd think with how annoyed they sound they would have stopped reading this author's works after like 3rd or maybe 5th time, but here they are complaining about the "17th" time like they're being forced to read it.

Imagine accusing someone of homophobia because they thought an author's style has hitherto been pleasant, but now is a little repetitive.

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Another banger

joined Dec 8, 2019

The archetypes the characters fall into are similar, though you're right not identical. It's always a more powerful larger lady (with a soft side!) and a more unassuming (but unexpectedly spunky!) smaller lady.

None of them (except maybe "Yuki and the Authoress") are serious works, though, so maybe I am being too critical.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

There are different reasons to read fiction. For me, for this kind of thing, I don't worry too much about predictability or, up to a point at least, stuff being kind of the same. I don't read romance for ingenuity or innovation. Rather, the point is more about basic emotional payoff, and that requires certain patterns that fundamentally satisfy, and there aren't that many of them. So for instance, the (person) has to get the (person), and you have to feel like that's a good thing because they are good for each other in some way. Originality is nice, but if it changes the formula in a way that loses that fundamental payoff, it's worse than pointless. Which is not to say nobody is allowed to read romance with different objectives. And for that matter I don't have the same lens for everything I read; if I read a cyberpunk novel I'm looking for some very different stuff. Or if I see under author, "Dowman Sayman" I'll put on a rather different readership hat before going in . . .
Still, I think it's very common for people to read this sort of thing with the basic idea being that it will make us happier, tickle our warm fuzzies, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that--it's about basic human condition stuff.

Yeah I think I pretty much entirely agree with you. This author is commonly one where you know what you're getting each time, and if people aren't into that it's fine but they shouldn't set themselves up for disappointment by expecting something different either.

Imagine accusing someone of homophobia because they thought an author's style has hitherto been pleasant, but now is a little repetitive.

Imagine putting words in my mouth. I never once called anyone homophobic, to expand on what I said this author makes often pretty safe Yuri and you know what to expect each time generally. You're likely going to get a fairly simple story with two female characters falling in love, and each story has a pretty simple set up but with a different theme/set up each time. Princess and Ninja here, Author and Reader in another, Snake woman and Sacrifice, so on and so fourth. A lot of Yuri stories have pretty simple romance set ups, and romance regardless of sexuality often does, and it's fine to get bored of it and to find it stale. Never said the that person can't think this. I simply think that if you're on a Yuri focused or even any Romance focused site, and are reading an author known for fairly safe romance set ups "17" times then you should fully expect what you're getting into with their works at this point, and if it's not to your liking that's perfectly fine but maybe you should look for a different author that's known for bigger twists on Romance set ups.

Again I didn't say and don't think what they said is homophobic in any regard, the notion is silly to me.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@bosto They are fairly similar character architypes I agree- though I dont really mind atm I would probably if they did 10 more lol.

The author might be searching for the right formula by testing/reiterating with web comics before doing one to be serialised- or maybe this is just a basic setup they really like? When we are talking self published stuff there can be multiple valid reasons to make a story- and one is purely for the authors own enjoyment, and anyone else liking it being a bonus.

last edited at Jun 20, 2021 4:37PM

joined Dec 8, 2019

So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

I don't want to fan a flame war, so I won't comment further, but for the record it seems pretty clear what the implication here was.

joined Dec 8, 2019

@bosto They are fairly similar character architypes I agree- though I dont really mind atm I would probably if they did 10 more lol.

The author might be searching for the right formula by testing/reiterating with web comics before doing one to be serialised- or maybe this is just a basic setup they really like? When we are talking self published stuff there can be multiple valid reasons to make a story- and one is purely for the authors own enjoyment, and anyone else liking it being a bonus.

Fair enough!

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

I don't want to fan a flame war, so I won't comment further, but for the record it seems pretty clear what the implication here was.

Replace Yuri with Romance, Yaoi, or whatever. I tried explaining that I literally only meant "romance between two characters", and said Yuri in this instance because that's the particular type of romance this author is writing. Plus again I previously stated that I meant Safe-Within-Their-Comfort-Zone-Yuri/Romance, which I probably should have said in the first place but still you ARE starting something by repeatedly falsely accusing me of nonsense. Please stop trying to define what I said and meant for me.

last edited at Jun 20, 2021 4:52PM

joined Nov 29, 2020

This is too cute

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I thought this was really cute buuuut I never have any idea if it'll go anywhere or if they'll do a couple of chapters and go on to the next thing.
I just want to see a longer work like Yuki and the Authoress

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

I'm dead, these two killed me with their cuteness.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwww. :D

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Cute

F94f4454-2d43-4522-a33a-00c2b6de5666b
joined Jul 24, 2020

Yes, the body guard and protegé romance, nagori "i'm gonna give the gays everything they want" yu keeps on giving

joined Mar 30, 2021

Don't care for the story, don't care for the artstyle. But the fuckin snuggles, which is always present in all of Nagori's work, gives me the good vibes for the day. The way they draw it is very comfy and fluffy idk (it's just me) XP

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

As usual, that author definitely has a type :P Not that I'm complaining, mind you, more of the same thing isn't bad when it's a GOOD thing.

Hino1
joined Nov 17, 2018

cuuuuute

20230426_020903
joined Jul 19, 2018

Damn... Im in love with this artist... god bless you

last edited at Jun 23, 2021 5:39AM

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

But what was in the bag?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

But what was in the bag?

Nebby

last edited at Jun 23, 2021 10:43AM

joined Mar 20, 2012

You could probably mod Sekiro to have a female protagonist, make the divine child older and a princess and boom you kinda have this storyline with some really great gameplay.

Damn me that I never learnt how to model 3D characters correctly.

joined Jul 26, 2016

You could probably mod Sekiro to have a female protagonist, make the divine child older and a princess and boom you kinda have this storyline with some really great gameplay.

I've seen the Wolf model-swapped into the damnedest things (including a goddamn monkey and Lumine from Genshin Impact) and other characters likewise, it's definitely technically doable. Might not play nice with cutscene animations and the Vocal Dissonance you'll just have to live with but eh.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I love this author's work and style. They can change the era and setting ad infinitum; I'll be here.

872f6125-d376-4c56-b454-2ea11e45ebc7
joined Jul 7, 2017

I love the authors works!! Is her snake lady manga dropped or something though? I really liked that one so I hope it’s ongoing

To reply you must either login or sign up.