Forum › A Candle for the Grim Reaper discussion

5078c11faafb542156639addbfc83dc4440cf9d2_hq
joined Apr 22, 2018

I liked it. Idk why but yea. Kinda reminded me of hell girl in a way cept just not voodoo dolls and stuff

Off-model%20ishibashi-san
joined Aug 20, 2018

Yes, this is my shit. immediately begins thinking about how I can turn it into a D&D adventure

Bd4ca21cadd5f7a6060af737e575370e64e2c528_full
joined May 26, 2019

I liked the artwork, the skeleton part of the hand which is black is very cool, and as mentioned above, the concept does remind hell girl.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Well this was interesting. I'd like to see more of it.

1478_nogirlsallowed
joined Oct 26, 2018

i get it... i dun get it

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Neat visuals, but the story tried to do too much in too short of a time, and thus didn't have much emotional impact

last edited at May 26, 2019 10:01PM

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

The more original fantasy drama Yuri there is the happier I am.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

So this is what I understand so far:
- Detective Death is a demon from hell.
- Her sidekick is an artificial humanoid, a "wax doll" manufactured by demons. She isn't considered a "real person" by the demons.
- DD and Wax Doll somehow fell in love and began a torrid love affair.
- They were found out and all hell broke loose (pun intended).
- They ran together and now they live on Earth, and DD works as a hitman for hire: she kills "bad people" in exchange for a part of the lifeforce of her customers.
- She needs the lifeforce to keep Wax Doll alive. Well, "animated" may be a better word.

Did I got everything right?

Applicationframehost_2019-05-26_18-54-02
joined Sep 22, 2014

hmm.. not sure how i feel about this. honestly? i would be more interested in a story about "detective death" and the human girl. as it is there was like no development or reason for me to care about her and the candle disposal girl. kinda fell flat

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

- Her sidekick is an artificial humanoid, a "wax doll" manufactured by demons. She isn't considered a "real person" by the demons.
- They ran together and now they live on Earth, and DD works as a hitman for hire: she kills "bad people" in exchange for a part of the lifeforce of her customers.
- She needs the lifeforce to keep Wax Doll alive. Well, "animated" may be a better word.

"Wax doll" doesn't have to be literal. As it seems humans all have a metaphorical "wax" to represent lifeforce. The "wax doll" could just be a normal human, replenishing her "candle" with the "candles" of other humans.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

"Wax doll" doesn't have to be literal. As it seems humans all have a metaphorical "wax" to represent lifeforce. The "wax doll" could just be a normal human, replenishing her "candle" with the "candles" of other humans.

Although minor, I believe Detective Death isn't a demon from Hell, but rather an Angel of Death. We don't know from where they came originally, but it is apparent Earth isn't the plane they are native to. It could be Heaven, Hell or some other plane of existence that is likely a part of the hereafter.

Yukari Yakumo
Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

Makes me think of Hell Girl, which I both liked and did not like.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Actually a really interesting plot, though a bit short maybe?

Reminds me of that one manga on here where that girl has to keep killing people to buy time for her lover...

Edit: It's even closer to Mugen no Minamo Ni than I remember, on the off chance anyone was wondering...

last edited at May 26, 2019 10:42PM

Off-model%20ishibashi-san
joined Aug 20, 2018

The collection this is from is specifically "non-human x non-human." That still doesn't mean the "wax doll" is literally artificial (she could just be a lower class of outsider), but she's definitely not human.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Cool concepts/protagonists... let’s see where this goes.

Artwork is stunningly good.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

-looks at the title of the anthology- Why am I so happy right now? TuT

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Yuri Hell Gals by Shin Takekawa.
Take my soul,D'arby.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

idk why but it kindda remind me of xxxHolic.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Although minor, I believe Detective Death isn't a demon from Hell, but rather an Angel of Death.

Shinigami, right? I got the same vibe from her, a reaper of souls rather than a demon
In manga normally you tell them apart cos ones carry a scythe and the others have horns and bat wings, but Detective Death for now looks like neither so we can't tell for sure
If she's ever forced to assume her true no-human form, we will know which it is

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Actually a really interesting plot, though a bit short maybe?

An idea I just had: it could be a oneshot, not a 1st chp. of a series :(

That's cos the title has 'anthology' in it (Vanilla Jingai x Jingai Yuri Anthology) which normally is used for many short stories collected in one book, so perhaps this one story won't go for much longer

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

This could be really interesting as a full series.

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Hell girl but with yuri plot

Looking East
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Although minor, I believe Detective Death isn't a demon from Hell, but rather an Angel of Death.

Shinigami, right? I got the same vibe from her, a reaper of souls rather than a demon
In manga normally you tell them apart cos ones carry a scythe and the others have horns and bat wings, but >Detective Death for now looks like neither so we can't tell for sure
If she's ever forced to assume her true no-human form, we will know which it is

Without seeing the original text there is no way to know for sure, but I would put the safe money on her originally being described as a Shinigami which usually gets translated into English as Death God, Death Spirit, Grim Reaper, Angel of Death, etc. Something that has a divine connotation more so than a demonic one.

last edited at May 27, 2019 2:22AM

joined Jul 4, 2018

Don’t tell me there’s more...
There’s only so much I can candle

joined Oct 10, 2016

Basically why I don't really like supernatural mangas. Most of the time they lack plot. It wasn't romantic, nor scary, it was bland.

To reply you must either login or sign up.