Forum › Haru and Midori discussion

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Come to think of it, I wonder if that blonde coworker asking about her lunch is foreshadowing a potential love interest for Midori.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Come to think of it, I wonder if that blonde coworker asking about her lunch is foreshadowing a potential love interest for Midori.

I want Midori to become friends with at least one person outside of Haru's family. Even if she doesn't date them - hell, even if she doesn't date anybody - that would make me happy.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nezchan posted:

I want Midori to become friends with at least one person outside of Haru's family. Even if she doesn't date them - hell, even if she doesn't date anybody - that would make me happy.

Yeah, it's extremely unhealthy to depend on just one person or pretend you don't need anyone else.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Yeah, it's extremely unhealthy to depend on just one person or pretend you don't need anyone else.

There's that, and I think her having a friend would represent such huge progress for her. It wouldn't have to even be close or intimate, just something that represents her newfound determination to reach outside of herself.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Looking great so far... Alright, I'm calling it now: Live Adaptation of this manga.

The author is playing a harp with strings made out of our hearts. The mangaka is playing a fine melody thus far.

joined Sep 6, 2018

I've seen a friend take on the burden of helping such a young teenager in need... The same "Good Samaritan" ethos was there, just like this manga, but it didn't turn out well, ending up more like a Samaritan snare.

last edited at May 29, 2019 3:34AM

Imgonline-com-ua-resize-vwt1kupzlnws
joined Jul 8, 2018

I love how Haru is blunt but kind. I thought she would be another cliche "stoic orphan" type but she is legitimately an interesting character. And I like that Midori is determined to improve herself, and that it's for the sake of someone else. Like I said before this doesn't even have to have yuri at all and can still be a great story.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

This Woman Who Never Grew Up meets Girl Who Grew Up Too Fast creates a nice, unusual dynamic. The callback happened a little too quickly for my taste, but Tsugumi's "waiting" line is so good that I couldn't be bothered to care. Right now Midori is often thinking of Haru as "so much like her mother," it'll be very interesting if the story decides to explore the implications of that further.

As for the Yuri tag discussions. Frankly, I don't care if the story is Yuri beyond the degree to which this reflects on the tags we've chosen. The series is labeled Yuri on Pixiv, where its serialization runs. The series is advertised - in some places - as a yuri manga, and is sold - in some places - in the yuri section. These categorizations are not perfect - many times the Yuri label in Japan encompasses stories that wouldn't fit our criteria. That said, I do not presently intend to defy the Word of God without sufficient evidence. As of yet, no such evidence appears to exist. The tags will remain as they are for the time being.

On a separate note if you like this series! Consider supporting the artist by purchasing it on Amazon Japan or your preferred Japanese retailer, thank you!

last edited at May 30, 2019 12:02PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yuri until proven guilty !
I'm okay with that hehe.

Yukiotakahasi
joined Oct 14, 2017

Sweet

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Nice!

joined May 29, 2019

Learning to be more comfortable in your own skin is hella based character growth, get it girl.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Nice chapter! (4) Liked the shopping sequence... although the instruction the middle schooler gives the adult is kinda unsettling because it makes me think what she went through to gain that knowledge... her mother must have had it so tough that her mother couldn’t shield her daughter from the harsh realities of growing up poor with a bad absentee father.

Chapter 4.5 was done well. I liked the portrayal of the daughter’s poverty by representing a lack of warm clothes (sweater) and make shift attempts to cover up (scarf). Dialogue (sneezing, gripes to friend ) helps convey that she couldn’t afford good winter clothing.

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Well, she still compares Haru with her mother but I hope that that'll chane and that Haru will have something unique in her that Midori stops to compare her with Tsugumi. So, Haru x Madori would make my heart happy. Looking forward to the next chapter.

joined Sep 6, 2018

On a separate note if you like this series! Consider supporting the artist by purchasing it on Amazon Japan or your preferred Japanese retailer, thank you!

I don’t understand plugging a manga in Japanese on a website providing translations in English.

I’ll wait for the licensed, English translation to come out by a stateside publisher (I’m looking at you: Seven Seas!)

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

I really hope soon-ish Midori stops "comparing" Haru with her mom everytime she does something that reminds her of Tsugumi, it's so unhealthy and slightly creepy. I honestly just want her to be happy, I know first hand how unhealthy it can be to be "stuck in the past", it's hard to get out of it, but when you do, your life improves so much more and so does your mental health. Mine took me like 3 to 5 years to get over it, but it made me feel so much more "free", if that makes sense, to not dwell on things that could've been or that upset you from a long time ago.

Also it just hit me, that Midori has been stuck and depressed about tsugumi for most of her life, well over 16+/20+ years? It is definitely something that is bringing her down as a person, like heavy shackles to something that you should let go/get over it but you swallowed the key because you don't want to. Damn.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Midori wasn’t only depressed because of losing Tsugumi —her friend was one of the only things that mitigated her existing depression.

The Midori we meet at the beginning of the story probably would have been the much the same person if she had never met Tsugumi at all, although maybe spring wouldn’t be quite so meaningfully depressing for her.

But “April is the cruelest month” anyway . . .

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

I don’t understand plugging a manga in Japanese on a website providing translations in English.

I’ll wait for the licensed, English translation to come out by a stateside publisher (I’m looking at you: Seven Seas!)

I always buy the e-manga of futaribeya even if I cant read Japanese because I want to support Yukiko.. and when I went to Japan last month she was kind enough to answer to me when I asked her where I could buy the physical book,sent her a pic and now she knows her manga has a fan in Mexico even if she doesnt know how. I think she must feel happy to know she's read in other countries. You are missing out on making a mangaka happy :3

last edited at Jun 2, 2019 7:41AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well you already have the translation here, but the mangaka still needs to make a living, you can buy the work for support even if you can't read it, after all you can come back here for that... See, win win situation.

As for ch4 .... LOVE IT! Midori is changing for good and people are noticing! That's so sweet, I'm really happy for her :) but aaah for the love of God don't mix their names! Be careful girl!

Well, can't blame her if she acts like her mother but specially if she seems to make an effort to look like her too, maybe that's what she meant about changing too.

The special is Nice too, you could say that's when the red string of fate was created.

joined Apr 16, 2014

Can anyone tell me what's up with the uniform inside the paper bag on the last page of Ch. 4? Or is it just me overanalyzing that there's something about it? I mean, Haru's aunt gave Midori a paper bag right? Is it connected? Oh gee, lol.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me what's up with the uniform inside the paper bag on the last page of Ch. 4? Or is it just me overanalyzing that there's something about it? I mean, Haru's aunt gave Midori a paper bag right? Is it connected? Oh gee, lol.

I was wondering about that. I suspect it may be either the uniform from her mom's old school, or perhaps her mom's old uniform that was kept all this time. Either way, leaving it behind with a stated desire to change makes some sense.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

I was wondering about that. I suspect it may be either the uniform from her mom's old school, or perhaps her mom's old uniform that was kept all this time. Either way, leaving it behind with a stated desire to change makes some sense.

It's clearly her mother's uniform she wears here. Also as Serenata mentioned above, it's possible Haru was always compered to her mother so she kinda felt like she wasn't even her own person and maybe even gave into pressure to look/act like her, so now after meeting Midori and seeing her changing, she might felt like trying to distance herself from her mother and become her own person. Or something.

last edited at Jun 2, 2019 11:00AM

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Midori and Haru are good girls. They deserve many headpats.

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Dem flash backs of midori and harus mother got me like 'I'm not crying, you're crying!!' Foreal tho, midori seeing kindness shine through her dead besties daughter is my favs part bout this manga, make cry AND DO IT MORE!! I FUKN LUV IT AY!!!

Ao3
joined Apr 23, 2019

No, I do not think Midori is romantically attracted to Haru. She will eventually see Haru as her child. It may be Haru who develops feelings for Midori, and would try to pursue her.

I hope so because right now, I'm heebieing and jeebieing.

I agree

last edited at Jun 2, 2019 1:20PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.