Forum › One Page Short discussion

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Uhhh, I'm confused. So there's girl A, blonde twintails, girl B straight long black hair, and girl C short brown hair.

Are A and B crushing on each other but both think are misunderstanding each other and that girl C is competing with them for A/B?

credits page speaks to me on another level

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 12:00AM

joined May 1, 2013

Yeah, I think girl C went to talk to A and B, and each of them just yammered on and on about how awesome the other one was.

A and B have crushes on one another but think they're competing with one another over C. C sees the truth.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I'm reading it as twintails and long hair both being attracted to short hair. As short hair listens to their ambiguously-directed descriptions, she thinks they're referring to each other (illustrated by the face icons in the 2nd and 3rd panels).

So only short hair is misinterpreting the situation.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 12:20AM

joined Sep 6, 2018

Meh. A three-girl polyamory takes three times as much work to maintain the relationship compared to a yuri couple. Although there are economic benefits of sharing costs under one roof, there’s too much drama to keep everyone happy. I’m assuming the partners have equal status in the relationship. It gets more difficult to maintain such relationships when there are disparities in age and income.

joined Sep 6, 2018

It’s hard to do these one pagers... glad to see artists practicing with these excercises and see the creative process of developing a full manga.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

One thing I'd personally like to see (again? might have seen it before) is a love triangle where they're all equally in love with each other.

Edit: Or maybe one where two people love the same person, and they both appreciate that the other has "good taste", so they can accept and in a way love each other as well.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 2:32AM

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I am glad I wasn't the only one confused. Some very good probable explanations in here.

@Clueless1 that is not a completely true statement. It is highly probable that you are correct that there would be too much drama, but women could have a 3-way relationship if they practice yoga concepts enough. If one or more of them realize that drama is just stories and stories are not helpful. And having steadiness of mind and not reacting as much.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 2:41AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

I feel ya moomin...

joined Sep 6, 2018

I am glad I wasn't the only one confused. Some very good probable explanations in here.

@Clueless1 that is not a completely true statement. It is highly probable that you are correct that there would be too much drama, but women could have a 3-way relationship if they practice yoga concepts enough. If one or more of them realize that drama is just stories and stories are not helpful. And having steadiness of mind and not reacting as much.

That's a good possibility. I hadn't figured a low-key, love-equally philosophy would help center their emotions without things blowing up like a tempest in a teapot. Its really hard to have three people agree to live together like that. So, how could a society generate such a philosophy? I remember a sci-fi writer who wrote short stories assuming such relationships are commonplace--as a matter of lowering living costs or handling specific tasks assigned by an overlord who cloned them. It was interesting stuff... But it wasn't Isaac Asimov grade material.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I'm pretty sure yoga and positive thinking do not change human nature or the all-encompassing power of jealousy.

The most likely ways polyamory can work:
1. One side of the triangle has a weaker attraction that none of the involved take as seriously. That reduces friction. I'd hate that, because that makes them not equal, but some people are fine with that. The type that doesn't like clinging to each other or being too committed (actually that kinda sums up most real life polyamory situations well).
2. All three partners need to be the extremely easy-going type. You know the one, those who are always unreasonably understanding of everything and woiuld never hurt a fly. I have trouble seeing three people of that same nature getting into that kind of situation in the first place though.
3. Ideally - and this is the rarest of all - everyone in the triangle loves each other. Like actually love, not just tolerate. Even then, irrational jealousy can still occur. If two of the three have a fight and the third one is stuck between them, having to choose sides, that would be unbelievably taxing. Then they are questioned who they actually love "more" and at that point it all goes to Gehenna.

Polyamory has many issues beyond the emotional level of course, but I think if it fails at the foundation (emotions), the rest is shaky too.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 7:41AM

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Why isn't this posted to "Images" ...?

joined Feb 18, 2015

Why isn't this posted to "Images" ...?

Probably because it's part of a series by multiple authors of "One Page Shorts".

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure yoga and positive thinking do not change human nature or the all-encompassing power of jealousy.

The most likely ways polyamory can work:
1. One side of the triangle has a weaker attraction that none of the involved take as seriously. That reduces friction. I'd hate that, because that makes them not equal, but some people are fine with that. The type that doesn't like clinging to each other or being too committed (actually that kinda sums up most real life polyamory situations well).
2. All three partners need to be the extremely easy-going type. You know the one, those who are always unreasonably understanding of everything and woiuld never hurt a fly. I have trouble seeing three people of that same nature getting into that kind of situation in the first place though.
3. Ideally - and this is the rarest of all - everyone in the triangle loves each other. Like actually love, not just tolerate. Even then, irrational jealousy can still occur. If two of the three have a fight and the third one is stuck between them, having to choose sides, that would be unbelievably taxing. Then they are questioned who they actually love "more" and at that point it all goes to Gehenna.

Polyamory has many issues beyond the emotional level of course, but I think if it fails at the foundation (emotions), the rest is shaky too.

Could people who haven't ever been in a poly relationship please stop talking about it as if it's set in stone that it can never work and trying it is stupid?
This idea is honestly really toxic and leads to people in those relationships just assuming from the start that it won't work which is not the case.

Do you know why you only see instances of Poly that don't work out in the open? Because that's the kind that gets the most drama and thus is more juicy to show.
This constant "oh it won't work out" or harassment from others on why the relationship is a mistake is so bullshit, I lost one of my two girlfriends to this garbage.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Personally, I'd like to see a story where two girls compete over the same guy, but they have so many interactions(for example, rivalry about who's more charming/actually are friends but keep arguing..etc) that lead them to fall in love with each other and forget about the guy. I know it sounds simple and clichè but I have never seen a work that contains this premise.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 12:18PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Could people who haven't ever been in a poly relationship please stop talking about it as if it's set in stone that it can never work and trying it is stupid?
This idea is honestly really toxic and leads to people in those relationships just assuming from the start that it won't work which is not the case.

Do you know why you only see instances of Poly that don't work out in the open? Because that's the kind that gets the most drama and thus is more juicy to show.
This constant "oh it won't work out" or harassment from others on why the relationship is a mistake is so bullshit, I lost one of my two girlfriends to this garbage.

I've never fired a gun, yet I know what recoil is.

I didn't say it can't work. In fact I just gave the examples of how it does. It's just very unlikely and requires much more effort than normal one-way relationships.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 3:31PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Good god man, please stop doing this to every thread BugDevil.

I'm reading it as twintails and long hair both being attracted to short hair. As short hair listens to their ambiguously-directed descriptions, she thinks they're referring to each other (illustrated by the face icons in the 2nd and 3rd panels).

So only short hair is misinterpreting the situation.

I don't think its misinterpretation, I think they're very heavily in denial/tsundere, while also being in love with the short haired girl.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 1:54PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Good god man, please stop doing this to every thread BugDevil.

Ouch. It only happens to every three posts I make, I swear.

joined Nov 27, 2017

The best part of yuri love triangles is their propensity to collapse in the only satisfying way a love triangle really can: The two protags end up falling for each other instead. I always find that soooo satisfying.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

credits page speaks to me on another level

but also, Canno gets it right with that polyamory trio in her other work.

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

This was kind of a confusing read, glad the comments cleared it up

joined Mar 3, 2017

Thank. You. I was getting so mad while reading all those commentaries ahah, and I'm happy someone actually came to defend poly relationships. And I'm sooo sorry for you that you lost one of your gf like that :( Sending all my love.

But yeah, when I randomly saw that it drove me crazy :

Meh. A three-girl polyamory takes three times as much work to maintain the relationship compared to a yuri couple. Although there are economic benefits of sharing costs under one roof, there’s too much drama to keep everyone happy. I’m assuming the partners have equal status in the relationship. It gets more difficult to maintain such relationships when there are disparities in age and income.

And really, what a bullshit statement this is. Poly = drama ? Seriously ? It's as hard to make a relationship with two persons work than it is with any kind of relationship. Sometimes there's drama, sometimes it's going smoothly. It can work and not everyone is showing in the open they're in a happy couple with 2 persons. Get over it.

Then I kept reading. And this really triggered me :

that is not a completely true statement. It is highly probable that you are correct that there would be too much drama, but women could have a 3-way relationship if they practice yoga concepts enough

So what now, women are kind of histerical creatures that just needs to relax ? You do realize that's totally sexist right ? What about poly guys ? Are three guys okay because meh, it's okay, they take it cool, they're manly men ? Or maybe gay guys are drama queens too and the only case it works is two girl with one guy because the big straight man is gonna help the couple to go better ? I wonder why the exact threshold of hysteria in an all girl relationship is 3 girl though, one could think all lesbian couples might fail because of the lack of yoga.

Ideally - and this is the rarest of all - everyone in the triangle loves each other. Like actually love, not just tolerate. Even then, irrational jealousy can still occur. If two of the three have a fight and the third one is stuck between them, having to choose sides, that would be unbelievably taxing. Then they are questioned who they actually love "more" and at that point it all goes to Gehenna.

What. The. Hell. Okay, stop. Why only three cases ? As Rosenakahara said a bit before me, you have to stop assuming all poly relationships are the same and can't work. I'm poly, I know poly people, and most are as fine as any monogamous couples. They do have the same issues as anyone else, and yes, sometimes, they might have different issues because hey, this is a bit different. Ever heard of compersion ? If not you should check it out some day.

All this to say : all poly relationships are different, and you should stop assuming it's just "three girls trying to get together and having a lot of drama". Honestly most of the time it's nothing like that. You can be in an open relationship, your partners can date each other or not, but I can tell you, in this precise case in which you're in an exclusive relationship with two girls dating each other too, it can work very well without any yoga, without being all easy-going, and without being "they're both my soulmates no matter what jealousy I can feel". Don't worry for us ;)
But if this really how non-poly people all see polyamoury, well that makes me sad, and I get better how the hate is speading.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I agree that we can do without some of the burning hot takes regarding poly relationships by people who don't seem to know much of anything about them, but can we not re-ignite a fruitless and largely off-topic debate that ended almost a week ago?

That'd be swell, thanks.

To reply you must either login or sign up.