Forum › Oddman 11 discussion

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I'm thinking she's a masked wrestler, since Oddman hasn't (or I think hasn't) had its lucha libre reference yet.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Most of all there need to be yuri stories that aren't about the fact that the protagonists are lesbians; but rather good stories where, coincidentally and unrelated to said story, the protagonist is a lesbian (and not as some fan service / bait thing either).

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Most of all there need to be yuri stories that aren't about the fact that the protagonists are lesbians; but rather good stories where, coincidentally and unrelated to said story, the protagonist is a lesbian (and not as some fan service / bait thing either).

I wish this were a more common theme in general

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think Jenny & Lynn in Bodacious Space Pirates falls into what you're looking for. Their relationship is an important part of their characters, but they've both got other things going on in their lives as well that are relevant to the greater plot.

Now if we could get an unapologetic lesbian main character, that would be gold.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, the choice in the tweet is a little weird for me because I want a lot more interesting Adult life stuff and not have high schoolers at all, but we're stuck with the genre conventions we're stuck with. A lot of the action stuff has school-aged heroes too so that's not really that much better.

It's one reason why it's important to me to have grown-up queer women (and women-identified) leads in my own writing, even when the stories don't have anything to do with romance.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Since queer identity is only rarely explored in anime and manga, and a character even identifying with the word lesbian is uncommon, I assume you are more dissatisfied with old tropes like "but we're both girls" and the tendency of yuri to focus on conflicts that stem from living in a heteronormative society (e.g. denial of feelings, self-loathing about being in love with another girl), and that a character in the yuri genre should hold more intrigue to her beyond being attracted to another woman.

It's a complicated topic with many sides to it, to be honest. For anime though, given the basically complete lack of simply anything at all lately, I'd be happy with anything ... that's good.

Overall I just like a mix of things. For example, Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries Of Empire features a lesbian heroine but there's no romance at all. It's as relevant as the color of her eyes. In Joseph R Lallo Free-Wrench series nothing about the heroine's preferences are known - until book 5. It's just a minor point in a larger adventure series. In Seth Dickinson's brilliant Baru Cormorant the heroine's homosexuality is a deadly threat and important secret, and the romance leads to quite possible the simultaneously best and worst end in literature ever, but the romance nonetheless doesn't overwrite the heroine's motivations concerning the plot. Ellen Hart's Jane Lawless series features a lesbian heroine in our world and her homosexuality is relevant, but although she's frequently in relationships and they often matter to her, it's all about the mysteries, and the love interests only rarely show up.

And so on.

I mean, even in literature the selection of "good" FF novels is kinda underwhelming. But at least the themes are a bit more varied than "yuri = Girl A meets Girl B, some drama/cuteness happens, The End" (which is fine per se, just not all the time please). Of course, there's some example of stuff trying to do a bit more, like maybe Gamma, but it doesn't happen very often.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

I put off reading this for a year only to read all of what you have translated in one sitting... I need more this shit is excellent! Dowman Saymans art style reminds me of ogino juns style (ironic I chose to read gama instead of odman 11 at the time I needed a fantasy/SciFi manga fix... no regrets anyway both are epic). When will there be more?

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Here's your Oddman 11 update, because translations? What translations! OTL

I suggest you hold on to your hats.

Fujou and Kirara plot to wage war against Kinu (Nuida, Kinu is her first name, I don't remember if this was revealed in the translations yet (it was, literally in the last translated chapter)) by getting a gun, and they even go through with shooting on her. Unsurprisingly, the Nudist is bulletproof, and things aren't looking good. But! Ika shows up and declares that Setsu is her fiancee. Oh no! However Kinu makes a note that the goal Ika has for wedding Setsu (getting her last name for Sea Cred) can be achieved by other means. She suggests that Setsu marry her instead, and Ika can be their adopted daughter. Bam, same surname. She agrees.

Of course Kirara's not cool with this, but eventually everyone settles on an agreement they all can be pleased with: everyone gets Setsu privileges and access for a specific day of the week. On one of Kinu's days during the culture festival Kinu continues to be the most forward of Setsu's harem by rubbing up on her thigh in a planetarium, getting turned on, and just GOING FOR IT. Of course, Setsu's like WHOA NOW, and Kirara's watching, so Kinu cannot get Setsu's sweet, sweet virginity. Not today. Anyway Setsu is told of the Setsu sharing system and is very angry about it, but quickly cools off. The most surprising thing that happens is that at the end of the latest chapter she finds Chouko being Chouko as usual and says "Chouko-senpai, would you like to go out with me? Please let me be your girlfriend." Chouko agrees.

There are other things that happen and it's all great (like Fujou kissing Kinu and making her barf, or Setsu defending Kinu's honor by kicking down the bullies who made her carry that heavy box and were making fun of her), but these are your major developments. You can find raws for the series by looking for Dowman on ehentai or exhentai or whichever. The chapters are in COMIC Megastore Alpha issues, and the comments usually have links directing you to where each artist is in the magazine.

Actually I had time so I just zipped them all up: http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/bZA5mvK0/file.html

last edited at Mar 3, 2018 8:53PM

joined Apr 28, 2016

Since queer identity is only rarely explored in anime and manga, and a character even identifying with the word lesbian is uncommon, I assume you are more dissatisfied with old tropes like "but we're both girls" and the tendency of yuri to focus on conflicts that stem from living in a heteronormative society (e.g. denial of feelings, self-loathing about being in love with another girl), and that a character in the yuri genre should hold more intrigue to her beyond being attracted to another woman.

It's a complicated topic with many sides to it, to be honest. For anime though, given the basically complete lack of simply anything at all lately, I'd be happy with anything ... that's good.

Overall I just like a mix of things. For example, Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries Of Empire features a lesbian heroine but there's no romance at all. It's as relevant as the color of her eyes. In Joseph R Lallo Free-Wrench series nothing about the heroine's preferences are known - until book 5. It's just a minor point in a larger adventure series. In Seth Dickinson's brilliant Baru Cormorant the heroine's homosexuality is a deadly threat and important secret, and the romance leads to quite possible the simultaneously best and worst end in literature ever, but the romance nonetheless doesn't overwrite the heroine's motivations concerning the plot. Ellen Hart's Jane Lawless series features a lesbian heroine in our world and her homosexuality is relevant, but although she's frequently in relationships and they often matter to her, it's all about the mysteries, and the love interests only rarely show up.

And so on.

I mean, even in literature the selection of "good" FF novels is kinda underwhelming. But at least the themes are a bit more varied than "yuri = Girl A meets Girl B, some drama/cuteness happens, The End" (which is fine per se, just not all the time please). Of course, there's some example of stuff trying to do a bit more, like maybe Gamma, but it doesn't happen very often.

Baru Cormant… Even without the title you know the whole book that it will come if you are aware that potentially important meetings in fiction you don't see and don't hear anything about afterwards are bound to be important. But you always hope that maybe it will not.

Anyway about books with lesbian characters that aren't just about them being a lesbian couple there is also Fire logic (and the following books). They are the MCs so their relationship matters but it is a solid fantasy story not a lesbian romance story in a fantasy setting. It is always a bit of a surprise when genre fiction with an lgbt tag is good genre fiction often the quality of the other portion is sacrificed for the romance side. To a lesser degree there is Beauty & Cruelty I guess, it has a decent main plot imo though I have a few issues with their relationship. (Mainly that Cruelty is the evil witch who cursed Beauty and in the beginning it shows unpleasantly in their interactions, she changes during the book of course but still.) I would have to think about it to name more, sadly I never bothered to actually use my lgbt tag on goodreads (at the moment it only contains Humanity for Beginners (werewolves)) which would make remembering so much easier. I guess Jane Fletchers's lyremouth chronicles might barely count. But it is farther to the romance story side than Fire logic for instance. (As you might have noticed I mostly read fantasy books, sometimes scifi too but mostly fantasy.)

For manga I am pulling a blank at the moment. Well I guess what I read from After Hours is more about the rest of their lives than just the romance for instance but definitely yuri genre. But something like a good non slice of life story where the protagonist just happens to be a lesbian? (Not counting Murciélago where it might be a different type of story but her obsession with woman is rather central.)

last edited at Mar 14, 2018 12:19PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Here's your Oddman 11 update, because translations? What translations! OTL

I suggest you hold on to your hats.

Fujou and Kirara plot to wage war against Kinu (Nuida, Kinu is her first name, I don't remember if this was revealed in the translations yet (it was, literally in the last translated chapter)) by getting a gun, and they even go through with shooting on her. Unsurprisingly, the Nudist is bulletproof, and things aren't looking good. But! Ika shows up and declares that Setsu is her fiancee. Oh no! However Kinu makes a note that the goal Ika has for wedding Setsu (getting her last name for Sea Cred) can be achieved by other means. She suggests that Setsu marry her instead, and Ika can be their adopted daughter. Bam, same surname. She agrees.

Of course Kirara's not cool with this, but eventually everyone settles on an agreement they all can be pleased with: everyone gets Setsu privileges and access for a specific day of the week. On one of Kinu's days during the culture festival Kinu continues to be the most forward of Setsu's harem by rubbing up on her thigh in a planetarium, getting turned on, and just GOING FOR IT. Of course, Setsu's like WHOA NOW, and Kirara's watching, so Kinu cannot get Setsu's sweet, sweet virginity. Not today. Anyway Setsu is told of the Setsu sharing system and is very angry about it, but quickly cools off. The most surprising thing that happens is that at the end of the latest chapter she finds Chouko being Chouko as usual and says "Chouko-senpai, would you like to go out with me? Please let me be your girlfriend." Chouko agrees.

There are other things that happen and it's all great (like Fujou kissing Kinu and making her barf, or Setsu defending Kinu's honor by kicking down the bullies who made her carry that heavy box and were making fun of her), but these are your major developments. You can find raws for the series by looking for Dowman on ehentai or exhentai or whichever. The chapters are in COMIC Megastore Alpha issues, and the comments usually have links directing you to where each artist is in the magazine.

Actually I had time so I just zipped them all up: http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/bZA5mvK0/file.html

I want to read it but I also don't want, because I want to read those chapters in english and don't know the story for other person but daaaaaam I don't know when that would be ;_;

joined Apr 28, 2016

Updates! I forgot all character names though.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Good stuff. "Stop giving me the shaft look."

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Good stuff. "Stop giving me the shaft look."

My face when Dowman-sensei actually tweets about it.
https://twitter.com/dowmansayman/status/1074528489930289153

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Three new chapters, what a treat.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Yaaaaaaay!!!! More chapters! Some development..... needs more chapters. Exited for more!

Miharu%20koshi
joined Dec 26, 2017

yes! yes! yes! i thought it was abandoned!!!!!!

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

when the sexy sadist was doing that thing with her neck and saying “you’d listen to her more than you listen to me, huh,” I thought “Homura...?” Then read the Shaft comment and burst out laughing

This is pretty freaking hilarious. I’m quite interested in the Sadist, Nudie and Kitty

As for the spoilers mentioned above, The Setsu sharing system sounds like the Open Door Policy. Anyway, why would Setsu ask Chouko out???? Ah, I thought she’d make a good pair with Kitty and/or Nudie :’(

last edited at Dec 17, 2018 1:50PM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Please continue this masterpiece.

2ee87948-0afe-40eb-b096-db4b6039ffff
joined Jul 29, 2016

It’s finally backkkk
I’ve been waiting

Sasasasasas
joined Dec 25, 2013

Just today I was re-reading the raws for these exact chapters! I'm so happy to finally understand what they say. Also, I like how it seems Setsu has a thing for crossdressing.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Just today I was re-reading the raws for these exact chapters! I'm so happy to finally understand what they say. Also, I like how it seems Setsu has a thing for crossdressing.

where did you find the raws? I've been looking for it

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Oh shit he actually looks at the English TL

joined Apr 30, 2014

hmm, a new yuri star is starting to shine.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

where did you find the raws? I've been looking for it

It's published in Comic Megastore Alpha, the RAWs of which you can find on sadpanda (lot of het in these magazines, but there's usually a table of contents posted in the comments telling you which page Oddman starts). For reference, ch34 was published in the 2017-11 issue. I've TL'd each chapter to the currently available RAWs and the typesetter is looking to release a new chapter every weekend.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

I vote for a threesome with kitty girl, naked lady and setsu

To reply you must either login or sign up.