Forum › Citrus + discussion

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

Can someone explain to me the significance of last two pages or so, I don't quite get it.

Well watching her reaction at looking at her finger and the box, she clearly lost the ring.

Which she holds so dear lol
Yuzu probably wears both rings ( neck and finger) and didn't notice it

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

What if the page where they're all walking together is a hint to the true ships? HMMMM ???lol

Which she holds so dear lol
Yuzu probably wears both rings ( neck and finger) and didn't notice it

I don't even think of that possibility

joined May 23, 2020

What if the page where they're all walking together is a hint to the true ships? HMMMM ???lol

I would love that! Harumin deserves better.

joined Jan 14, 2020

There a few other subtle differences: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_july_4th#1
The girl right over Sayaka's shoulder changes her arm, and the girl to the left shows a bit more leg on page 2.

Anyway, how cute and horrifying is this... juicer? https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_july_19th
"Please enjoy my brains."

Matsuri givin Mei that magazine was a good move, let's see if she does something.
Oh and that crepe callback from the very beginning was pretty cute ngl.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Lmao I'm still wondering why this Manga is still going. Especially when nothing really has happened

1011820_10203495624854953_6088973233617870240_n
joined Aug 29, 2019

^ We have the chance to see what the rest of their school year will be like. What holds for the other characters' future and to know how their relationship progresses.
Now this situation about Mei losing her ring is interesting, Will she ask for help to her friends and keep it hide from Yuzu? or will she tell Yuzu sooner or later.... after she tries to find it herself?
I'm certain that Mei WILL think about telling Yuzu about the ring in the first two days...

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

sees number of pages in this thread

N I C E

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

This silly girl still dreaming of HaruYuzu while there's HaruMatsu flirting going on right in front of her...

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

There a few other subtle differences: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_july_4th#1
The girl right over Sayaka's shoulder changes her arm, and the girl to the left shows a bit more leg on page 2.

Anyway, how cute and horrifying is this... juicer? https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_july_19th
"Please enjoy my brains."

It's a shaved ice maker I believe but yeah that was funny

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This silly girl still dreaming of HaruYuzu while there's HaruMatsu flirting going on right in front of her...

Where ?

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

And so Mei realizes that Yuzu secretely take Mei's ring with her to the bathroom to do some questionable thing with it.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Poor poor Mei rip

joined Dec 22, 2020

yuzu didn't wear the ring too
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_july_19th#19
not on her neck not on her fingers soooooooo what Mei is seeing is!? the rings or........???
i have been reading citrus since highschool and now i already graduated from college gosh

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

OK, I'll give it to Saburouta for making the 4th July chapter a hilarious one. She only had 5 pages for that chapter, and she used them well. Well, at least the last page.

The chapter after that, however, is the same middling performance as usual

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 6:04PM

The amount of blush lines on Yuzu's face equals the amount of times
I've been disappointed by the lack of sexy time in this spin-off.

last edited at Dec 22, 2020 9:47PM by

joined Feb 14, 2019

The amount of blush lines on Yuzu's face equals the amount of times
I've been disappointed by the lack of sexy time in this spin-off.

The mere thought of "things she'd like to do with Mei" got Yuzu so worked up she had to run off... that could be seen as pretty sexy (I doubt getting clean is the only thing she is going to do once safely in private...).

Saburouta clearly hasn't forgotten about sex, we've been seeing a lot of signs that Yuzu is having trouble holding herself back (Mei is too to some extent), eventually it will come to a head. It may have been two years for us, but it has been less than two months in-universe.

Citrus has always been about the tease and the tension - but exposed to first series level tension, Y/M are now in a place where they'd "just do it"... safe to say the only way is down for those sorts "sexy times" from this point (since very unlikely we will get anything explicit, tension is all there is, and once Y/M get over their hesitation even that will mostly go).

Although the promotion of the anime might give people a different impression, Citrus is a romantic drama written for young women (primarily, at least), and the portrayal of sexuality (and the nature of fan service) will differ at times from what other demographics might hope for. It may frustrate some readers, but for the target audience Yuzu and Mei being hopelessly and adorably in love with each other could probably carry the series even if they never have sex.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

safe to say the only way is down

I saw what you did there.

joined Mar 29, 2019

Citrus Plus will be about how they can restart intimacy from a 60-floor luxury condo apartment building fire (metaphor for her burning down their relationship and lying to her and running away).

To your “one-dimensional Yuzu” point (not that I hold it against her—at least one of the MCs is consistently written), is there any indication that Yuzu holds even the slightest resentment (or any other kind of negative feeling) against Mei for that sudden breakup (let alone for Mei not saying anything about the eventual arranged marriage while they were together)?

Yuzu just seems relieved and happy to have Mei back after her successful rescue mission. (I’m starting to see Yuzu’s role as basically the same as the protagonist in hero-dog stories.) So if in fact Mei’s current character is a function of her guilt about hurting Yuzu, it’s yet another example of her carrying everything inside without communicating with her supposed life-partner.

Yeah, that blows a pretty big hole in the story. I think Mei and Yuzu are supposed to be awkwardly dancing around the subjects that matter at this point. Why don't they communicate their thoughts and feelings and why isn't that shown? The "I love you" conversation was a mere glance at their relationship resuming. Clearly you would eventually have to answer for the loss of security, trust and intimacy in your resumed relationship. Otherwise why try to restart something you 'esplodid'.

Clearly Mei is the silent, introverted kind of Japanese person but this level of miscommunication is pretty severe. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it.

At least we know we'll get what, fireworks and lovey dovey soon? So that seems to be the point where we'll finally get Mei to say...something? She really is the crypt-keeper. She keeps all her secrets hidden deep down below.

If they are going to resume physical intimacy, I feel like Yuzu would have to be vouchesafed in a pretty serious manner as to whether Mei is endgame on all of this. I feel like Mei needs to prove she's into this. Otherwise she doesn't deserve Yuzu at all. Yuzu is far too kind and stupid to keep getting used. I think what I want to see is a couple's fight. They need to have out on everything. Mei needs to turn it around dramatically or she's just a spectator. No more secrets and closed doors.

What have we settled? Mei won't date her grandfather symbolically anymore, he's now just an old dude. Mei actually cares for Yuzu. Mei has moved back in...but the whole thing is severely tense and Mei knows it. Yuzu was crying FOR-E-VER. Her mom watched her daughter go through depression FOR-E-VER. So Mei casually walks back in? Stand up for yourself, Yuzu! I get that you love her but don't just let her walk all over you. She left you for dead in the middle of the night. Mei must answer for her sins, a relationship that glances at the graveyard of their troubles and keeps walking past mindlessly is destined for trouble and breakup.

Mei has to atone with more than 'I love you'. Mei has to change more than simply being a wealthy Japanese introvert who now WON'T have a symbolic het baby-making relationship with her arranged partner. Mei has to prove her individuality more than she has. Maybe that comes with time, and maybe that's what Citrus Plus is all about, but who IS Mei?

That's what we haven't ever determined. Who IS this person? Goddamnit Saburu, that's all we ever wanted.

last edited at Dec 23, 2020 5:09PM

joined Feb 14, 2019

If they are going to resume physical intimacy, I feel like Yuzu would have to be vouchesafed in a pretty serious manner as to whether Mei is endgame on all of this. I feel like Mei needs to prove she's into this. Otherwise she doesn't deserve Yuzu at all. Yuzu is far too kind and stupid to keep getting used. I think what I want to see is a couple's fight. They need to have out on everything. Mei needs to turn it around dramatically or she's just a spectator. No more secrets and closed doors.

Mei has to atone with more than 'I love you'. Mei has to change more than simply being a wealthy Japanese introvert who now WON'T have a symbolic het baby-making relationship with her arranged partner. Mei has to prove her individuality more than she has. Maybe that comes with time, and maybe that's what Citrus Plus is all about, but who IS Mei?

There is an expression that seems to fit here "still waters run deep". It is important to remember that just because stoic people don't show emotion doesn't mean it isn't there (coming from a family of stoics, I'd point out is is important irl too - you can't expect that people will always shove their feelings in your face, sometimes you have to look for other signs; tbh the same applies to malice too). It can be a challenge for writers to convey this, especially in more visual media (less scope for expository narrative; it is a pet peeve of mine that movies/TV so often have supposedly stoic characters having breakdowns/tantrums bc the writers are out of ideas on how to subtly convey emotion).

I think Saburouta has done a pretty good job with Mei - we have quite a few clues to the broad strokes of Mei's emotions, although like Yuzu we have to learn to look for them. It has been made very obvious that Mei is madly in love with Yuzu, and pretty much worships the ground she walks on; her makeover of the school rules was an early sign of just how much she values who Yuzu is, and what she has given her. When Yuzu wanted to date, and when she gave her the ring Mei truly believed their relationship was doomed, but loved Yuzu so much she didn't have it in her to say no. All the time she was rushing into her engagement and marriage she wore Yuzu's ring next to her heart (and Yuzu knows that); that separation hurt Mei at least as much as it hurt Yuzu. When she told Yuzu that she ran away because she wouldn't have been able to leave if she saw her, it was nothing but the truth.

After they reconciled, Mei took Yuzu to the school board meeting and declared that they were a package deal, she took her most precious ambition, the thing that had motivated her to leave in the first place, and shared it with Yuzu. She is doing her best to show Yuzu her love in her own way; Mei isn't someone to make showy conventional emotional gestures, to do so would be contrived even dishonest. Saburouta even draws attention to this in series, having Yuzu gush so much over Mei's small but genuine gestures, perplexing their friends.

I think the tension is more "walking on eggshells" than guilt/resentment/insecurity. The problem at the moment seems to be that they are going too far to show their devotion: both "standing back", Yuzu is avoiding asking for much for fear of pressuring Mei, trying to let her set the pace, but Mei is anxious to "do it right", conscious of her lack of experience and afraid of making a mistake (and would probably prefer Yuzu to take the lead), so things are moving very slowly. eg they would probably both like more physical intimacy in private, but neither wants to pressure the other. They have had some bad experiences - early on Mei's clumsy attempt to show her appreciation by giving herself to Yuzu at Christmas led to a major rift; and just when they were getting comfortable making out (nb Yuzu led) on the camp/trip, the hammer fell with the arranged marriage thing. It hasn't occurred to Yuzu that Mei would actually find sex in private much easier than PDA, and it hasn't occurred to Mei that the "proper order" of those two is entirely up to the participants (and that as much as she loves PG romance, Yuzu is also horny af).

Mei wants to talk about their relationship, particularly what she can do for Yuzu. She sighed when Yuzu fled instead of talking about what she wants (Ironically Mei's eagerness to please is probably one of the reasons Yuzu is so coy about her naughtier desires).

As for why things are quite so cool... with feelings that intense, when you start seriously making out... in the bed that you share... sex isn't far behind. It is something that would throw quite a shadow both for the characters anxious about taking that step, and from the fourth wall perspective of pacing, we probably won't see things heat up much until Yuzu, Mei and Saburouta are ready for things to go all the way fairly quickly.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Holy shit, it's actually going to happen (at some point). Iirc this is the first sign we've been given that this was going to be something that would be dealt with in this series. I was starting to think they might be saving it for marriage!

Yuzuxmei2%20-%20copy%20(7)
joined Dec 25, 2020

Waiting for updates ^^, .. hopefully the anime will have a season 2 also .. :)

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/_saburouta/status/1342069008288206849
Seems like Sabu took pity on Nene

last edited at Dec 25, 2020 2:52AM

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

What have we settled? Mei won't date her grandfather symbolically anymore, he's now just an old dude. Mei actually cares for Yuzu. Mei has moved back in...but the whole thing is severely tense and Mei knows it. Yuzu was crying FOR-E-VER. Her mom watched her daughter go through depression FOR-E-VER. So Mei casually walks back in? Stand up for yourself, Yuzu! I get that you love her but don't just let her walk all over you. She left you for dead in the middle of the night. Mei must answer for her sins, a relationship that glances at the graveyard of their troubles and keeps walking past mindlessly is destined for trouble and breakup.

i sadly don´t see that happening at all. There´s not a single instance of mei apologizing or taking responsability for her actions, usually the manga shifts the blame to yuzu for "not understanding mei" (wich is baffling to me)

mei´s not a horrible person for teasing and playing with yuzus feelings at the beggining of the manga and then ignoring her althogether, mei has suuuch a tragic past that all her wrong doings are justified, apologies? no no no we don´t do that here, besides yuzu realize that was her fault for "not understanding mei" so everythign is fine

the incident with sara was also yuzu s fault, how dare she reject mei s crypted and rushed advances what a horrible person

remember that chapter where yuzu was so sad because she realized her friends were big jerks that made fun of same sex couples and mei told her that they would face those problems together when the time came, to then proceed to accept an arranged marriage behind yuzus back. That was also yuzus fault for not realizing sooner and "not understanding mei", besides she felt sooo bad about it, the letter said it so it must be true

or the chapter where mei realize that she wasn´t fullfilling yuzu´s needs as a partner and tried her best to have a perfect date but at the end yuzu was like "yo our relationship is perfect the way it is and it was selfish of me to expect something out of you"

at saburo uta eyes mei´s a prefect being that can´t do wrong and doesn´t need to change or take responsability for her actions

That's what we haven't ever determined. Who IS this person? Goddamnit Saburu, that's all we ever wanted.

i don´t think mei will get a personality anytime soon, mei really is just yuzu s girlfriend that´s her whole character and her role in the story

To reply you must either login or sign up.