Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I don't have an issue with people feeling like some of the content in the manga feels like bait, that line from Koyuki is probably the most blatant example. It's just that I've seen some people on mangadex complaining about the series not being yuri because they were led to believe so by the tags, as even before this change, I think it had the shoujo ai tag. That's being misled and it in turn leads to not giving the manga a fair chance because you go into it expecting something else.

joined Jul 1, 2018

I don't have an issue with people feeling like some of the content in the manga feels like bait, that line from Koyuki is probably the most blatant example. It's just that I've seen some people on mangadex complaining about the series not being yuri because they were led to believe so by the tags, as even before this change, I think it had the shoujo ai tag. That's being misled and it in turn leads to not giving the manga a fair chance because you go into it expecting something else.

Yeah, now the comments are going to be filled with how they were baited instead of commentary on the plot after next weeks chapter... unless the taggers know something we don’t.

The “moon is beautiful” thing really hurt a bit, though since she was imitating Konatsu’s dad, maybe she said it in a way that made it obviously a joke? Kinda like she says “Suprise!” In English in 28.2, a callback to Konatsu’s dad in 27.1 (I only found this out by looking at the raws)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, now the comments are going to be filled with how they were baited instead of commentary on the plot after next weeks chapter... unless the taggers know something we don’t.

The “moon is beautiful” thing really hurt a bit, though since she was imitating Konatsu’s dad, maybe she said it in a way that made it obviously a joke? Kinda like she says “Suprise!” In English in 28.2, a callback to Konatsu’s dad in 27.1 (I only found this out by looking at the raws)

OK, so unprotected hand-to-hand contact means nothing?

Pfft, kids these days, what with their "Netflix and chill," and their "friends with benefits," and whatnot . . .

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch28_5#16

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Yeah, I definitely feel like this is one of those series that is actively ruined if you go into it with any grand expectations of progress or shows of affection or just simple, clear-cut character arcs in general. Nettaigyo is muddy, jumbled-up, messy, ambiguous and frequently self-contradictory and unsure, because it portrays a pair of girls who have absolutely no idea about what they're trying to be or achieve.

It's one of the most pronounced cases of emotive storytelling I've seen in a manga, where extensive amounts of space are devoted to exploring minute changes in emotional states and attitudes, to the point where it feels more like an observation diary for neurotic girls who simultaneously overthink and overfeel everything. The swing between rationalisations and indescribable moods, the comfort and terror of banal conversations, the stagnancy of routine life versus the terror of marching time, and that aching, bizarre dilemma of wanting to change whilst dreading new things- Nettaigyo depicts all of these with painstaking detail.

The issue is that emotions are often fleeting, immediate things that sweep you up in moments, and the best uses of emotive storytelling in manga often feature the creation of these moments through strategic plotting, pacing and structure- think of a standard confession scene, which builds anticipation into a giddy cocktail of emotions and brings the plot to an emotional climax, often to the point where there's this one panel that confirms acception/rejection and seals the deal.

Nettaigyo doesn't do this- it focuses more on emotions as overarching moods that mix and blend into atmospheres, requiring both readers and characters to 'read the room'. If you're not receptive to these subtle, shifting moods and can't instantly empathize with the characters, you'll simply be left peering at a theatre of nonsense and mixed messages. Therefore, the best way to read Nettaigyo is to binge it, so you can understand the mood as it evolves from chapter to chapter, empathising with the wordless, indefinable longing that our leads feel for each other, struggling to vocalise and define their own feelings across the massive distances of a cordial relationship that might or might not change at the drop of a hat.

If you read the manga as it releases in monthly installments, you'll disconnect from the plot and the mood, and wonder what the 'point' of each chapter is, looking for concrete signs of 'progress' in order to confirm that the time you've put into reading this series is worth it. Of course, this is a flaw in the manga's storytelling, because writers have to take into account the durations and gaps involved in their release schedules and structure their plots accordingly. I'm not saying that Nettaigyo becomes a masterpiece if you read it at a stretch- if anything, the sense of the plot stagnating even as you plow through dozens of chapters can be immensely depressing. But it rarely feels like filler, because the author genuinely puts so much emotion into every chapter- not easily understandable emotions, but genuine ones all the same.

All in all, this manga feels like it's written by someone in an emotional state similar to the protagonists- entirely unsure of what they want to do or achieve, contemplating potential routes without taking more than a step in any direction, dithering and introspecting over the smallest things and running off on random tangents. It reminds me of shows or movies I've seen that were made by people who were explicitly grappling with anxiety or depression whilst working on their projects, and poured those feelings into their work, creating stories that weren't coherent or neat in any sense, but felt raw and genuine regardless. Ultimately, you can't stick labels on Nettaigyo, because it's about a pair of girls who're terrified of labeling anything, written by an author who seemingly dislikes confining themselves to categorisations and genre tags like 'Yuri'. It'd be much more at home in a bookstore with nothing to speak for it but the title and cover art, as opposed to manga websites that compulsively tag everything to give readers some semblance of order amidst a sea of titles. Whether you think this a failing on Nettaigyo's part to compete with better titles, or whether you simply think it's a victim of an industry obsessed with demographics and classification is, like everything else about the series, a matter of deeply subjective opinion.

joined Jul 1, 2018

OK, so unprotected hand-to-hand contact means nothing?

Pfft, kids these days, what with their "Netflix and chill," and their "friends with benefits," and whatnot . . .

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch28_5#16

Yeah... I can't really explain that one lol. Maybe they just don't realize that they're madly in love with one another yet? Still waiting for the inevitable conversations about potential boyfriends to come up.

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 3:34AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

They're not gay until they intertwine those fingers, which they will in twenty more chapters as a callback.

joined Jul 1, 2018

They're not gay until they intertwine those fingers, which they will in twenty more chapters as a callback.

This.

joined Jul 1, 2018

All in all, this manga feels like it's written by someone in an emotional state similar to the protagonists- entirely unsure of what they want to do or achieve, contemplating potential routes without taking more than a step in any direction, dithering and introspecting over the smallest things and running off on random tangents. It reminds me of shows or movies I've seen that were made by people who were explicitly grappling with anxiety or depression whilst working on their projects, and poured those feelings into their work, creating stories that weren't coherent or neat in any sense, but felt raw and genuine regardless. Ultimately, you can't stick labels on Nettaigyo, because it's about a pair of girls who're terrified of labeling anything, written by an author who seemingly dislikes confining themselves to categorisations and genre tags like 'Yuri'. It'd be much more at home in a bookstore with nothing to speak for it but the title and cover art, as opposed to manga websites that compulsively tag everything to give readers some semblance of order amidst a sea of titles. Whether you think this a failing on Nettaigyo's part to compete with better titles, or whether you simply think it's a victim of an industry obsessed with demographics and classification is, like everything else about the series, a matter of deeply subjective opinion.

I really think your post here encapsulates what a lot of us- at least I - love so much about this manga. Before anything else, this is a story about two teenage girls, putting that priority above all else makes sure that nothing is ever forced.The fact that you mentioned that this is a story about a pair of girls who are terrified to label anything just serves as proof for that. I mean, even they don't know what the heck they're doing, the author just isn't going to simplify a story, where its entire premise is on how complicated emotions are.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really think your post here encapsulates what a lot of us- at least I - love so much about this manga. Before anything else, this is a story about two teenage girls, putting that priority above all else makes sure that nothing is ever forced.The fact that you mentioned that this is a story about a pair of girls who are terrified to label anything just serves as proof for that. I mean, even they don't know what the heck they're doing, the author just isn't going to simplify a story, where its entire premise is on how complicated emotions are.

While the author's online comments do invite speculation about their ultimate authorial intention, I myself don't particularly feel the need to read this in terms of inferences about the author's state of mind. And I certainly do perceive why this story could be frustrating to readers who are focusing on plot development, on romantic progress, or on clear yuri-genre signaling.

I personally value this series as a change of pace from standard yuri stories, where any number of self-insights that these characters gain could be the entire point of the endgame--Koyuki realizing how lonely she is and finding a friend who helps her to open up, for instance. But here the story really explores how such insights will lead to new situations (if not precisely "problems") that require the characters to figure out new ways of being in the world. And I do think one can infer the author's commitment to developing the story in their own particular way (as opposed to those stories that seem to wander around without a real sense of purpose).

I wouldn't want every genre series to take this approach, but this one has been interesting and (so far) satisfying.

joined Jan 25, 2017

We have this conversation every month, and every month it basically all reduces to a question of how much you like a slow burn (I do, quite a lot) and how much you trust the author to respect established character dynamics even without a bespoke genre label (I've yet to see a reason not to).

Personally I don't see any reason to think of Nettaigyo as being any slower or less gay than the likes of Adachi And Shimamura, tbh - and the fans seem perfectly happy with that series right now. Granted Nettaigyo doesn't have a character like Adachi whose inner monologue always makes her intentions very clear, but I don't think it's fair to hold that against the series when it's very clear that Konatsu and Koyuki just aren't wired to think that way, and that aspect of their personalities is and always has been a big part of the point of the series.

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 12:08PM

joined Jul 1, 2018

Raws are out and looks like we were right about everything :)

Edit: ALMOST everything

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 1:25PM

joined Jul 1, 2018

While the author's online comments do invite speculation about their ultimate authorial intention, I myself don't particularly feel the need to read this in terms of inferences about the author's state of mind. And I certainly do perceive why this story could be frustrating to readers who are focusing on plot development, on romantic progress, or on clear yuri-genre signaling.

I personally value this series as a change of pace from standard yuri stories, where any number of self-insights that these characters gain could be the entire point of the endgame--Koyuki realizing how lonely she is and finding a friend who helps her to open up, for instance. But here the story really explores how such insights will lead to new situations (if not precisely "problems") that require the characters to figure out new ways of being in the world. And I do think one can infer the author's commitment to developing the story in their own particular way (as opposed to those stories that seem to wander around without a real sense of purpose).

I wouldn't want every genre series to take this approach, but this one has been interesting and (so far) satisfying.

I agree with you here. The authors state of mind probably doesn't play to much into a story like this, and often times we can completely ignore it (There are some cases, like with Evangelion for instance, that state of mind of the creator can reveal many new themes and aspects of a rather straightforward story, but I do not believe this is one of those cases). I really just think that this is a coming-of-age story at its finest; you can try to categorize specific chapter arcs or character motivations, but all of that lies within the bigger scope of taking a piece of these character's lives and presenting it to us. I'd like to reiterate that point that the previous poster made; you really can't label something that was never meant to or intended to have one.

We do seem to have this conversation every month, but every time someone brings up a new perspective that makes it never seem boring or redundant lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

We have this conversation every month, and every month it basically all reduces to a question of how much you like a slow burn (I do, quite a lot) and how much you trust the author to respect established character dynamics even without a bespoke genre label (I've yet to see a reason not to).

That's probably a legitimate take, although I don't think the conversation here has been just repetitive--for me it's also interesting to watch readers (besides the "kiss already, or I'm outta here!" folks) thinking through the author's recognizable but slightly unconventional approach to this material. EDIT: Or, pretty much what Palmfire said.^

There is that issue of the thematic boundary between "girls who discover that they like another girl in a very, very special way" and "girls who discover that they want to kiss and get naked together."

Some stories are about breaching that barrier, while others are clearly determined never to do so, while others hold off on giving clear signals about the matter one way or the other. Some readers run out of patience with the latter category sooner rather than later--I tend to take them on a case-by-case basis, and I'm fine with this one.

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 1:29PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Can I ask for a link or at least a hint where to find them? I had no idea they were available. Not that it's usually a concern given how lightning fast Hachimitsu Scans are.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Can I ask for a link or at least a hint where to find them? I had no idea they were available. Not that it's usually a concern given how lightning fast Hachimitsu Scans are.

I gotchu

https://www.facebook.com/LaDiosadelLirio3.0/photos/pcb.193356835633520/193355855633618/

I'm always contemplating reading the raws because the translation comes out so fast there really isn't a need to, but this time I REALLY couldn't help myself. In the process of google translating a few lines that caught my eye lol

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I actually bought this month's dengeki maoh off ebookjapan to take a peek, lol

Looks like good stuff, looking forward to the TL.

joined Jul 1, 2018

There is that issue of the thematic boundary between "girls who discover that they like another girl in a very, very special way" and "girls who discover that they want to kiss and get naked together."

You can usually tell the latter is the case when one of the girls go "Wow her eyelashes are so long/pretty/any kind of obscure description of eyelashes lol. One thing thing that I find so interesting and novel about this manga is the lack of these rather tropey predictable physical descriptions. The most we get out of this manga is one calling the other "cute" and the other (Most of the time Koyuki) completely fizzing out. It's kind of a nod towards how "underdeveloped" or " innocent" their minds are in that aspect, where evaluation of physical characteristics are never in an sexual or creepily detailed way If you've read Urasekai Picnic you would know that about 30 percent of the text is spent on how beautiful Toriko's " " is

Looking at how these two characters started with zero earnest social skills or friendship knowledge, it'll probably be 20 more chapters before Koyuki realizes that Konatsu's ponytail hits different than Kaede's.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I'm always contemplating reading the raws because the translation comes out so fast there really isn't a need to, but this time I REALLY couldn't help myself. In the process of google translating a few lines that caught my eye lol

Thank you. Back when translations had just started out and Hachimitsu was going off volume releases and was thus behind by a couple chapters around chapter 10, I was so thirsty for more that I first went to read Spanish magazine TLs (close enough to my native language), then raws on LHscan, so I know the feel.

joined Jan 25, 2017

You can usually tell the latter is the case when one of the girls go "Wow her eyelashes are so long/pretty/any kind of obscure description of eyelashes lol. One thing thing that I find so interesting and novel about this manga is the lack of these rather tropey predictable physical descriptions. The most we get out of this manga is one calling the other "cute" and the other (Most of the time Koyuki) completely fizzing out. It's kind of a nod towards how "underdeveloped" or " innocent" their minds are in that aspect, where evaluation of physical characteristics are never in an sexual or creepily detailed way If you've read Urasekai Picnic you would know that about 30 percent of the text is spent on how beautiful Toriko's " " is

Looking at how these two characters started with zero earnest social skills or friendship knowledge, it'll probably be 20 more chapters before Koyuki realizes that Konatsu's ponytail hits different than Kaede's.

I mean, it's not said in words as often, but especially earlier on there's plenty of cases of the girls being very aware of each other's physical presence - especially Koyuki. The first chapter ends on her freaking out over an indirect kiss - which is one of the oldest yuri subtext tropes there is -, there's the moment when she realizes how close their faces are like they're about to kiss when she's helping Konatsu catch a fish, etc.

joined Jul 1, 2018

I mean, it's not said in words as often, but especially earlier on there's plenty of cases of the girls being very aware of each other's physical presence - especially Koyuki. The first chapter ends on her freaking out over an indirect kiss - which is one of the oldest yuri subtext tropes there is -, there's the moment when she realizes how close their faces are like they're about to kiss when she's helping Konatsu catch a fish, etc.

Oh, yeah I completely forgot about that. I kind of just wrote that off as "Someone is this close to me" instead of "She is this close to me" With Koyuki, stuff like that is hard to gauge because she's so new to everything, like when Kaede offered to feed her like Konatsu did, she kinda had the same reaction.

I was looking more in Konatsu's case, where she has more of an understanding regarding relationship boundaries (before the whole "we're going down together" mindset during the Karaoke event). Mostly, we haven't had one of those "Wow, Koyuki's x is x" type description, that is totally explicit. A lot of character's actions can have an alterior meaning than what we really think (Like how Konatsu called Koyuki on the phone during her school trip- we now know that it isn't really something to be happy about because she must have done it due to unbearable loneliness and not gay angst.)

I really can't wait until we go back into Koyuki's mind, though, she's had a lot of growth, like going over to Surprise Konatsu, and really acting like a senpai, but our understanding of her has become less than our understanding of Konatsu at this point in the story.

cue chapter 31 starting with "Yesterday I had a dream where I kissed Konatsu on the lips"

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

cue chapter 31 starting with "Yesterday I had a dream where I kissed Konatsu on the lips"

And she turned into a frog when I did.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Now that I think about it, Nettaigyo works quite well as a demisexual romance. The girls think of each other as special, but don't experience overwhelming, clear-cut sexual urges (even the moments where they get flustered are sporadic and situational). They feel a sense of longing, but it isn't easy to classify- the more they think about it, the harder it gets to figure out, and the less they think about it, the more it builds up. To top it off, they're both rather cynical and don't believe in love at first sight, so it's doubly confusing when one out of one out of a hundred sights stirs something inside them, but the next ninety-nine don't. The closest terminology to describe this would be a squish- not quite a full-blown, giddy, fantasy-filled crush, but definitely not apathy either. Koyuki and Konatsu fundamentally just want to hug each other and go, "This is my person!", but it sounds so odd that they can't even say it out loud. Basically, it's like Bloom Into You if both parties were Yuu, gravitating towards each other precisely because they both feel excluded and different from society, and then getting even more confused when they start developing feelings for each other. Even the spoilers from 31 tie into this- the attraction that Koyuki feels is so ambiguous and unclear that a literal vision from her subconscious is required for her to understand it. At this point, I'm not sure if knowing that her angst is explicitly of the gay kind would give Koyuki a clearer idea of what to do, or if it'd just spark a new cycle of agonizing uncertainty, but I definitely can't wait to find out.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Now that I think about it, Nettaigyo works quite well as a demisexual romance. The girls think of each other as special, but don't experience overwhelming, clear-cut sexual urges (even the moments where they get flustered are sporadic and situational). They feel a sense of longing, but it isn't easy to classify- the more they think about it, the harder it gets to figure out, and the less they think about it, the more it builds up. To top it off, they're both rather cynical and don't believe in love at first sight, so it's doubly confusing when one out of one out of a hundred sights stirs something inside them, but the next ninety-nine don't. The closest terminology to describe this would be a squish- not quite a full-blown, giddy, fantasy-filled crush, but definitely not apathy either. Koyuki and Konatsu fundamentally just want to hug each other and go, "This is my person!", but it sounds so odd that they can't even say it out loud. Basically, it's like Bloom Into You if both parties were Yuu, gravitating towards each other precisely because they both feel excluded and different from society, and then getting even more confused when they start developing feelings for each other. Even the spoilers from 31 tie into this- the attraction that Koyuki feels is so ambiguous and unclear that a literal vision from her subconscious is required for her to understand it. At this point, I'm not sure if knowing that her angst is explicitly of the gay kind would give Koyuki a clearer idea of what to do, or if it'd just spark a new cycle of agonizing uncertainty, but I definitely can't wait to find out.

"the more they think about it, the harder it gets to figure out, and the less they think about it, the more it builds up."

This really encapsulates conflicts in this manga completely. Everything is so internal.Looking at how Konatsu was being dubbed as a worrywart for trying to figure out how Koyuki felt during their first meeting, she then choses to for get about it but looking at ch 30, it all comes back. There is no escapism in this manga, all of the characters must confront their conflicts whether it is sooner or later.

I think I've said this before, but I think there needs to be a catalyst in the manga, not only to see the potential Yuri goodness, but just in general. in the past there always has been something that caused a big event to occur, whether its Kaede dragging Konatsu to karaoke to make Honami realize that there really is something wrong, Koyuki's hot and thoughtful dad telling Konatsu to invite her to festival, leading to the events of chapter 8 and 9, there are so many instances of this happening that I'm sure the author knows that there could be one in the "omg I'm gay" aspect.

Of course, this could not be what the story is about, and that would be perfectly fine, but if she were to go into that direction, I feel like there would be something that causes a character to fall into a Bloom into You-esque ponder about love looking at ch 30 spoilers, though I don't want to go into depth because it isn't translated yet, Konatsu hides the frog from Koyuki when she sees it, obviously implying that there are some things left to be resolved. I'm not sure if we are still a chapter behind regarding releases due to the author having to take a two month break, but we must be left with something to set up this next character arc, maybe that's it?

Edit: Random, baseless theory here but: What if we don't get introduced into the romance aspect until after Koyuki leaves? Maybe I'm still salty about MUL, but what if we get to see the two's independent development for a while, and then that serves as buildup for a confession? It makes about the same amount of sense as squeezing in a romance in these last few months of high school. However, this is only plausible if the story becomes a romance, there is obviously the chance that it never will.

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 5:17PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

Personally by reading the last raw chapter I am more optimistic for an good evolution of their relationship. We feel that they are asking questions about their emotions towards each other and not just as simple friends.Precisely for the story of the frog it may be that koyuki by this symbol would like to become the frog again with respect to konatsu and still not what was hidden in the koyuki drawer .. more on the flashback of the fairground and the fireworks at the beginning of the story , where konatsu asked if she was special for koyuki, she finally answers her ...
While waiting for the translation I think that the anguish of konatsu and koyuki is due to the fact that the departure for tokyo of koyuki is approaching and that they do not have much time to spend time and definitely discover what they are. feel towards each other.

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 8:13PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

We are predictably getting that break next month at last, so let's hope the translation for this chapter feels super satisfying, lol.

To reply you must either login or sign up.