ForumTouma-kun discussion

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

Is there any release date on this? I wanna know whether this is earlier or latest work from Shuninta. Hoping this won’t become a trend for Shu, I like the other stories more :x

arandommangareader
joined Nov 10, 2018

Fkn hell, Touma is even more of an alpha lesbian than alpha lesbian Kagechika.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Ehhhhh

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Ahh, I feel bad for her, this is portrayed too well and real, the extent some people will go to is crazy when it comes to love to the point of doing drastic things. I hope this girl realizes she's fine the way she is, and that her worth as a person doesn't come from beauty or how Toma thinks of her...

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

It would be an interesting turnover if the "plain girl" Karen somehow manages to snatch up Touma. I didn't notice if there was a note, but "karen" is "beautiful, pretty, neat in appearance" in Japanese, which is the ironic part.

I do like how this series is so... amoral, I guess? We get taught that love is a higher good, but love can be destructive or dangerous. At the same time, in my view Touma isn't any sort of villain, more of a force of nature. For some people it helps them, for some it hurts them, but Touma doesn't seem to be really at fault to me. It's not like they can't refuse her - she doesn't force anything.

I actually really feel for Karen, I kinda feel like a side character in life right now and feel like I don't have anything special... I think Touma was a trigger but these feelings were there before, just Touma gave her the ability to fight against that. As to whether fighting against that is good or bad, well, we're all characters of our own creation, that's what existential freedom is all about.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So, Touma is toxic to Karen.

last edited at Mar 10, 2019 12:57PM

Flowers-le-volume-sur-ete-screenshot
joined Nov 22, 2018

if this manga didnt get at least 1 reversal chapter, im gonna be really disappointed.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Is there any release date on this? I wanna know whether this is earlier or latest work from Shuninta. Hoping this won’t become a trend for Shu, I like the other stories more :x

This is published in Galette, isn't it? So it's "new".

Applicationframehost_2018-12-19_14-19-07
joined Jul 23, 2017

I'm honestly lost with this story lol

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

For some reason I dislike this manga but I don't know why I can't stop reading every new release

Me too, lol. I suppose I come back because I liked the 2nd chapter story, where that girl, Yuki, got together with someone else in the end. I'm still hoping that Touma would make herself useful in bringing together some more girls, but... oh well.

Just noticed that in this chapter, Karen is the girl from the first chapter. Can't say she grows on me. xD

last edited at Mar 10, 2019 10:25AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Every chapter, I try to find something so that I can like Touma at least a little bit. Every chapter, I end up disliking her more and more.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Blaming Touma is like blaming society for your own shortcomings or your own problems.

It's interesting that some people would consider these girls, that are drawn to Touma like moths toward a flame, as if they were somehow brainwashed by Touma and just dump the responsibility on Touma.

Touma isn't really fleshed out. She's just a trigger. Hating on the trigger is denying these girls problems.

Ultimately, they are responsible for their own behavior and Touma never ever forced them to do anything. And in every chapter, these girls get stronger after overcoming their own immaturity.

A81
joined Sep 14, 2014

It would be an interesting turnover if the "plain girl" Karen somehow manages to snatch up Touma.

nah that'd actually be kinda boring since that's how most stories go. plain protag catches the attention of some hottie. Cue melodrama. I want to see a twist where something actually interesting happens

Blaming Touma is like blaming society for your own shortcomings or your own problems.

It's interesting that some people would consider these girls, that are drawn to Touma like moths toward a flame, as if they were somehow brainwashed by Touma and just dump the responsibility on Touma.

Touma isn't really fleshed out. She's just a trigger. Hating on the trigger is denying these girls problems.

Ultimately, they are responsible for their own behavior and Touma never ever forced them to do anything. And in every chapter, these girls get stronger after overcoming their own immaturity.

I think that sums up the main theme of the series. Bunch of girls all normal has individual problems. They seek out Touma cause she has what they don't. Their problem gets fleshed out with their interaction with Touma. They solve their problem. The problem for me is that each chapter feels so disjointed. Or maybe I'm supposed to read it like Mushi-shi, kinda like treating each story as a stand-alone strung faintly together with a thin thread.

last edited at Mar 10, 2019 2:23PM

joined Aug 11, 2014

Well, not every chapter, evidently. Turns out that someone who thinks they have no value because they're not pretty isn't going to get better because they learn that they can, in fact, be considered pretty. Because the core issue of tying self-worth to external beauty norms is still bad, and receiving fleeting validation from Touma didn't change that, it just reinforced it.

I do agree that Touma is basically a cipher for whatever issue the girls already had, and blaming Touma for the girls' obsession is definitely like blaming society for people's personal issues. But people having personal issues doesn't mean society can't fuck them up worse, y'know?

It's funny, I actually think I like this series more after chapter eight. The other chapters don't really deal with the negative consequences of Touma-exposure, and it was too easy to read the series as uncritical of Touma and what she represents. Chapter 8 makes it much clearer that Touma isn't a purely positive influence on others, she's just a catalyst for change, and change can be good or bad.

last edited at Mar 10, 2019 3:25PM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

The Mushishi comparison kind of makes sense when you think about it. Touma-kun seems more a pretext for exploring relationship issues than the star of the show.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This is Shuninta after all.

She does not write fluffy yuri, but usually tackles serious issues using yuri.

14cfe1a9-a4f3-4cf0-9523-8f2b4dae54e8
joined Sep 4, 2017

-_-

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

The Mushishi comparison kind of makes sense when you think about it. Touma-kun seems more a pretext for exploring relationship issues than the star of the show.

It's not a bad comparison, but I find it pretty funny. Then Touma would equal the Mushi? :D

Cindy%20small%20gs
joined Oct 20, 2017

She does not write fluffy yuri, but usually tackles serious issues using yuri.

It's true that Shuninta is known for covering "mature" topics, but a lot of her work is relatively laid-back. Yukemuri Sanctuary, Sweet Guilty Lovebites, Ayame 14, most of Bombshells, and the "uncollected" one-shots are of the lighter variety.

last edited at Mar 12, 2019 6:42PM

A81
joined Sep 14, 2014

I think that sums up the main theme of the series. Bunch of girls all normal has individual problems. They seek out Touma cause she has what they don't. Their problem gets fleshed out with their interaction with Touma. They solve their problem. The problem for me is that each chapter feels so disjointed. Or maybe I'm supposed to read it like Mushi-shi, kinda like treating each story as a stand-alone strung faintly together with a thin thread.

It's not a bad comparison, but I find it pretty funny. Then Touma would equal the Mushi? :D

Touma would be Ginko in this comparison i guess

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

With the addition that Touma is nowhere near as cool as Ginko, maybe...

last edited at Mar 12, 2019 7:42PM

joined Mar 12, 2019

Oh god I fucking hate this series. It’s about some creepy af womanizer who “helps” people out in very unsettling ways. This series encourages people to think they cannot be special if they’re not born to be so. But everyone is an individual and they are unique and born with a talent. Fuck this manga.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s been a while since I read all these—do we ever see Touma treating any woman as “not special”?

A81
joined Sep 14, 2014

It’s been a while since I read all these—do we ever see Touma treating any woman as “not special”?

I almost wanted to take back my mushishi comparison since mushishi is so wonderfully written and this story seems a lot less flattering, BUT I think the correlation is that Touma doesn't get emotionally attached to any of the girls except for the first one that died. Just like Ginko. He doesn't stay in one place (is forced to, but it means he can't get attached to anything) and keeps on moving on to the next people afflicted by the mushi. Hah! I guess the girls are the people getting affected by the mushi then. And the mushi are the vanity problems everyone keeps on having.

Still debating whether this story is even worth a mushishi comparison

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I almost wanted to take back my mushishi comparison since mushishi is so wonderfully written and this story seems a lot less flattering, BUT I think the correlation is that Touma doesn't get emotionally attached to any of the girls except for the first one that died. Just like Ginko. He doesn't stay in one place (is forced to, but it means he can't get attached to anything) and keeps on moving on to the next people afflicted by the mushi. Hah! I guess the girls are the people getting affected by the mushi then. And the mushi are the vanity problems everyone keeps on having.

Still debating whether this story is even worth a mushishi comparison

Definitely not. ... xD Then again few stories would deserve to be compared to Mushi-shi.
But I think it does serve as a comparison to underline what the author probably wanted to express. Actually without the comparison I would not have been able to see the point.
At first I saw her in the part of the mushishi, because it felt more like she made a mess of things, without noticing, just by being there, rather than helping anyone. But I also see your point^^

last edited at Mar 15, 2019 4:41AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.