Forum › Between Philia and Eros discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh, hello Kotooka... hahaha just kidding.
Looking forward for more! the drawing reminds me of the old Morinaga somehow

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Tiger posted:

I'm interested in if being in Galette lets it take a different path than what these kinds of stories normally take. I hope so. The art style is so cute it'd make for a great cute story.

I have no proof on it, but I do believe artists in Galette have much more freedom in terms of story since it is crowd funded so there is no looming publisher over them demanding certain changes etc. in order to make stories as appealing as possible and earn them lots of money. In the first place its main audience is yuri fans and focus on actual yuri, which majority of publishers consider not good enough to sale anything.

last edited at May 30, 2017 12:21PM

joined Feb 2, 2016

Hope she not ones those type that said yes for every thing

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

DR2 Hajime Hinata posted:

I feel like she's just using her because she's sad about her breakups, but whatever I'll still read it anyway

It seems to me like the setup for a "oh, so that's why all my past relationships turned out so poorly!" sort of outcome.

Yeah, that's the vibe I was getting.
As to what people have been saying about it falling into her lap . . . I actually found it refreshing. I have nothing against all the masses of yuri where the longing girl angsting about how to do the approach, for umpteen chapters if it's in long form, makes up most of the plot. But that doesn't mean that for once moving past the chase right away is a bad thing. Makes room for this manga to be about something different; drama incoming, I'm sure, but could be some good character stuff. Obviously a lot is going to be about this apparently light-hearted girl who even one of the commenters glibly dismissed as a "slut", turning out to have a lot to be sad about and needing support from a good woman and maybe making that difficult. Sometimes that kind of story is awful, but sometimes it's really good.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

From what I can tell from next chapter without trying to read it much, it seems like Nikaidou is the one who will do the angsting now

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

This seems promising. There is more going on with the one that was already dating. I dislike when people a quick to call these kinds of people sluts before we know what's going on with them. Especially this early in the story.

Richardevans
joined Jun 1, 2016

trash

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

I need

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Wlfking posted:

This seems promising. There is more going on with the one that was already dating. I dislike when people a quick to call these kinds of people sluts before we know what's going on with them. Especially this early in the story.

People really love to jump to conclusions and unfairly judge people immediately unfortunately. I'd consider the fact that the protagonist specifically remembers her alone crying in public to suggest that she probably just has legitimately bad luck with guys, kinda like the girl in Sweet Emotion.

joined May 30, 2017

I really liked that manga tbh.

Tmp_11996-nanofate-3-11937795520
joined Dec 6, 2013

Me like it!

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

Oh my danger territory there. But I'm interested to see more of Nikaidou, her life and character, stuffs like that. Then I'll be able to judge if this is good for my health.

This series has a cool name though =)) I think that between friendship and lust (according to the old greek definitions) there is romantic relationship, something that has both appreciation for the partner and intimacy without being selfish or possessive. The mordern day's idea of a stable romantic relationship, in fact.

Don't know where this is going, but I sure hope the girls get happy together in the end.

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

Wow some surprisingly pretty harsh reactions to the start of this series. I feel like it's too early to judge, but I'm looking forward to finding out more about Nikaido. She seems to have a lot of stuff going on and I hope the author won't screw up her back story.

Yeah, seconded. I'm keeping any judgement about the characters to myself at the moment, because we honestly don't know enough about her yet.
And I hope she gets a good backstory too. So far, it's intriguing, hope it ends well.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Oh, hello Kotooka... hahaha just kidding.
Looking forward for more! the drawing reminds me of the old Morinaga somehow

I was getting serious Kotooka vibes from Nikaidou as well. A serial monogamist who doesn't stay in relationships and, from the looks of things, gets broken up with by the guys who pursue her. Probably because they can tell she isn't really into them. I am seriously curious about whether that is her history and whether she has something else going on. I assume we'll find out some day what she was crying about on the day Hoshigawa fell for her...

I agree that the drawing style is reminiscent of old Morinaga.

I have two competing theories warring in my head about why Nikaidou actually asked her to date her.

1. She IS basically a version of Kotooka and all of the guys she has been dating have been, essentially, beards. She found out about Hoshigawa's feelings because of the eraser and decided to stop lying to herself and the world.

2. She hasn't ever really had feelings for anyone and has accepted guys who confessed to her in an attempt to fill a void in her life left by some trauma we have yet to find out about, but couldn't ever keep a boyfriend because she didn't really love any of them. She figured out how Hoshigawa felt about her from the eraser, knew that she, alone among all the people at school, understood her well enough to be able to tell that she was actually sad that day because of her recent break-up and figured that a girl who cared about her enough that she could see through her fake smile when the people who were supposedly closer friends had no clue might be the person she could actually fall in love with, even if she was another girl. Or, at least, she might not abandon her just because she is incapable of feeling love correctly herself.

I'm betting on 2.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Always remember, a common indicator of a closeted homosexual is an over-abundance of short-term boyfriends.
Also a common indicator of a typical slut, so don't make the call based on this observation alone.
The investigation continues...

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

the drawing reminds me of the old Morinaga somehow

Really? Looks more like Morishima to me.

last edited at May 30, 2017 6:08PM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Can we stop calling a teenage girl a slut now?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

majere posted:

Nope, we have to make snap judgments and refer to her derogatorily after only a single chapter. There's no room here for refraining from passing judgment on her at all. It's as vital as breathing.

joined Jan 4, 2014

majere posted:

Nope, we have to make snap judgments and refer to her derogatorily after only a single chapter. There's no room here for refraining from passing judgment on her at all. It's as vital as breathing.

Sounds depressingly accurate...

On the plus side, the story looks nice, and seeing as it is being published in Galette, I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter.

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

literally who gives a shit if a girl has a lot of boyfriends. it's 2017 she can do what she wants she's literally harming nobody.

i relate a lot to hoshigawa. ive had a couple of crushes in high school that other people would call sluts just because they dated around and i myself have been called a boy-crazy slut just for having a lot of male friends (im lesbian so that insult isnt even remotely applicable). like i said, it's 2017. the notion that having a lot of romantic partners is a bad quality in a woman stems from the regressive, outdated, misogynistic idea that non-virgin women are tainted, and yet slut-shaming is still really common. there's nothing wrong with sleeping around, even if a girl had a different boyfriend every fucking night there wouldn't be anything wrong with that. people need to stop caring so much about what goes on in other people's bedrooms and let a girl live her goddamn life.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

gamagoori posted:

literally who gives a shit if a girl has a lot of boyfriends. it's 2017 she can do what she wants she's literally harming nobody.

But we've gotta judge her over superficial bullshit while not knowing the underlying story at all!!

joined Feb 2, 2017

Glad someone said it, seriously... The irony here is that stories with these kinds of characters tend to have bits about how immature it is to make snap judgements about people you don't know anything about, and yet people make comments ON the story doing that very thing...

Also, been reading on here for a long time and recognize a lot of the frequent commenters, but this is my first comment on Dynasty Reader, so hi all. Looking forward to more of this story.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

trash

Well, that was refreshingly free of context or meaning. Good show!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

bodevanlot posted:

the drawing reminds me of the old Morinaga somehow

Really? Looks more like Morishima to me.

I got their names mixed up ...!! In fact, maybe I thought they were the same person more than once.

lazylikeyourass
Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

I'm a bit nervous. I hope main girl doesn't get her heart broken. Btw, that black haired girl is pretty af.

To reply you must either login or sign up.