Forum › Shimanami Tasogare discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Personally, I"m a special snowflake.

GendoIkari Uploader
joined Jan 11, 2018

Wow this whiplash from this chapter, goes from a touching family moment to that in just a few pages.

last edited at Mar 15, 2018 8:20PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

What an asshole. I'm happy everything was fine for Saki and Haru despite that.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Whoa. That guy showed his true colors a little hastily. What a dick.

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY
but we all know that it isn't gonna happen anytime soon.....
Fucking rude to out someone though what a dick

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

Saki's mom was awesome. And I like how, even though her dad was conflicted, he ultimately chose to be supportive.
Touma's dad on the other hand....ugh. I hated how he was laughing too, like it wasn't a big deal. But then the moment when he thinks that his son is gay, he hypocritically loses his temper.

Tumblr_n9sro872gt1twyetfo4_250
joined Feb 27, 2018

Saki's mom is absolutely the best. She was ready to fight her husband for their child's happiness. As for Saki's dad, I'm glad his only wish is for her to be happy, and not to impose any other wish on her.
Touma's father really showed his true colors however. Outing someone like it was nothing, and then losing it when his son may or may not be gay...ugh. Seriously the worst.

But I'm glad Tasuku is sticking up not just for himself but for others as well. He's really grown into himself these last few chapters.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Heh. I knew Touma's father was an hypocrite.

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

Ugh, Touma's father is horrible. No wonder Touma was so much in denial

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Sunnyskies posted:

Whoa. That guy showed his true colors a little hastily. What a dick.

Sadly it is a typical mentality of it is fine as long it is other people, but the second it affects my family it is suddenly a huge issue.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The girls got a better outcome than the guys in the same circumstances (an unexpected coming out)

I think there's a message there.

last edited at Mar 16, 2018 2:17PM

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

and gay is (has become) umbrella term for everything that's not cisgender / straight. I'm transgender and assexual. I'm gay. I'm queer. I'm LGBTQ+. Sou viade, poha

No, it really isn’t. Gay is a type of slang for homosexual, or attracted to the same gender and specifically the same gender, and most trans and bi don’t classify as gay. Hell, if somebody told you they were bi, and then you said they are gay, they would get annoyed, because those are two different things.

They make this distinction IN THIS SPECIFIC MANGA, where they point out the discrepancies between being gay and being transgender.

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

and gay is (has become) umbrella term for everything that's not cisgender / straight. I'm transgender and assexual. I'm gay. I'm queer. I'm LGBTQ+. Sou viade, poha

No, it really isn’t. Gay is a type of slang for homosexual, or attracted to the same gender and specifically the same gender, and most trans and bi don’t classify as gay. Hell, if somebody told you they were bi, and then you said they are gay, they would get annoyed, because those are two different things.

They make this distinction IN THIS SPECIFIC MANGA, where they point out the discrepancies between being gay and being transgender.

It does kind of depend on the person and community they're in as well?
Sometimes. As a Lesbian myself I regularly scream out "I'm too gay for this!" but that's mostly used more like a verb??? (I dunno it's late) On the topic of someone telling you they're gay, it really doesn't matter if they are a lesbian or what unless they're bi just due to how the word is handled. If a girl tells you she's gay, you know what she means. Alot of the ace/aro people I know say they're gay on a regular basis just because they like someone aesthetically. Around other queer people mostly but ehhh

TL;DR
It kinda works and is used in that way?
I wrote to much lol
This might not make sense either haha

joined Mar 30, 2018

Why doesn’t this have the Transgender tag? It has a transman in it.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

because its just a side character and not the focus.. thats what I assume anyway.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

venom posted:

because its just a side character and not the focus.. thats what I assume anyway.

Or maybe it is because it was only revealed recently and nobody suggested adding tag?

Pero01
joined Apr 1, 2014

venom posted:

Or maybe it is because it was only revealed recently and nobody suggested adding tag?

I thought that too

Akari
joined Apr 16, 2013

Wow, this chapter was powerful.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Ah... news of Misora. About time.

416213._sx1280_ql80_ttd_(2)
joined May 3, 2017

I can't really see Tasuku's words as anything more than complement. It wasn't like he said it was Misora's fault for tempting it or anything. He simply stated the fact, that if Misora was seen as a boy or wasn't as pretty, he most likely wouldn't be targeted by scumbags like that. Definitely not like 3 times in the row. He was making genuine complement, "they are attacking you because you perfectly pass as a pretty young girl".

I also agree, that the main character didn't do anything wrong in the last chapter. Yeah, maybe the line he used was a little bit unfortunate, but it was totally obvious, he just wanted to calm down Misora, not to blame him for provoking the attacker. He also asked, if he saw who it was, so it also seems pretty obvious to me that if the Misora actually saw someone, then the main character would hit the pervert or something. So defnitely not a rude behaviour at all. On the other hand Misora was probably extremely shocked (considering his age and the situation), so it's understandable, he was exteremely agitated and got it the wrong way - but he was still the only one being extremely rude and insensitive So blaming the main character seems extremely harsh to me.

I hate bringing up old beef but I just read this manga so it's new enough for me.

I definitely agree that Misora's reaction was out of line and Tasuku didn't mean any harm by his comment of, "you were targeted because you're cute," but people often say things without thinking how their words may be interpreted, and even if they have the best of intentions, it could still hurt the other party (plenty of examples of this, just look at two of the more unpleasant characters: Koyama-san and Tsubaki's dad).

Tasuku probably meant it as a compliment or a reason as to why the groping happened but Misora read it as a classic victim blame, and being in a particularly vulnerable position, lashed out. I don't think what Tasuku said was something we should normalize and excuse. It's disturbing for me because I actually flew by that part on the first read and had to re-read it when I was confused as to why Misora was flipping out all of a sudden. It seemed like a perfectly natural thing to say in the situation but within the words are a nuance that shifts blame to Misora as well as inadvertently supporting a society where it's perfectly normal for pretty girls to get groped. Tasuku made a mistake out of ignorance but that doesn't leave him blameless. It's up to him to own up and learn from the experience.

As to why I didn't rail on Misora for pretty much outing Tasuku in public, I think we all know why what Misora did was bad; Tasuku's mistake just seemed less evident.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 7:02AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

So because of conversation with friend I decided to tl the tittle (it was harder than you would think). I did it to the best of my abilities and the result was pretty interesting and since I don't think it was translated anywhere, I decided to post it here because I thought you guys will find it interesting. The word "tasogare" written as 黄昏 means either twilight/dusk or melancholy. The title of the manga is instead written as 誰そ彼 by the author, giving it a meaning of "Who are you?". Since all characters are trying to figure out who they are, that question is pretty fitting for the story. You could say it is pushing it a bit, as it is more a direct question to ask someone else, but that also fit with the story as we saw in recent chapters with questions of "are you gay?" having a very similar ring to it. So taking it all into consideration one possible take on it would be "(The Melancholy of) Figuring Yourself Out in Shimanami"

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

riyu posted:

Tasuku probably meant it as a compliment or a reason as to why the groping happened but Misora read it as a classic victim blame, and being in a particularly vulnerable position, lashed out. I don't think what Tasuku said was something we should normalize and excuse. It's disturbing for me because I actually flew by that part on the first read and had to re-read it when I was confused as to why Misora was flipping out all of a sudden. It seemed like a perfectly natural thing to say in the situation but within the words are a nuance that shifts blame to Misora as well as inadvertently supporting a society where it's perfectly normal for pretty girls to get groped. Tasuku made a mistake out of ignorance but that doesn't leave him blameless. It's up to him to own up and learn from the experience.

It's not victim blaming at all. He wasn't saying "you're targeted because you're cute" as justification for their behavior. He was just giving a reason for why they did what they did. That doesn't mean Misora is at fault at all. The responsibility for their actions still lies entirely with the person who chose to target Misora, regardless of what that reason was.

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

Yes, as I was rereading 19 (because I always do that before reading a new one) I noticed Misora behind the tree, so I predicted he would come back, and I was right. Now, as sad as it is, I can feel the series coming to a close, and as much as I don't want it to, I am looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Anyways, as for 20, it is great, but I really don't know how much I can talk about, so let's talk about what Tsubaki said, that how he thinks there's a part that is gay and parts that can't accept it, that was a really well done scene. In Japan, being gay is taboo (obviously), and it's obvious he wasn't raised to love them, so I think by saying what he did, he is telling Takusu, he is showing that battle with himself, on the side that is gay and the side that hates them, a conflict I'm sure many gay people actually have to deal with. That was pretty cool.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nevri posted:

So because of conversation with friend I decided to tl the tittle (it was harder than you would think). I did it to the best of my abilities and the result was pretty interesting and since I don't think it was translated anywhere, I decided to post it here because I thought you guys will find it interesting. The word "tasogare" written as 黄昏 means either twilight/dusk or melancholy. The title of the manga is instead written as 誰そ彼 by the author, giving it a meaning of "Who are you?". Since all characters are trying to figure out who they are, that question is pretty fitting for the story. You could say it is pushing it a bit, as it is more a direct question to ask someone else, but that also fit with the story as we saw in recent chapters with questions of "are you gay?" having a very similar ring to it. So taking it all into consideration one possible take on it would be "(The Melancholy of) Figuring Yourself Out in Shimanami"

The official French translation of the title (yeah, it's being published in France) is "Eclat(s) d’âme"

Which is a wordplay between multiple meanings of the word "éclat", which, without s, means brightness, but also shattered/burst/flare. But with an s, "éclats" means shards.

âme is soul.

So, the title evokes "bright/flaring souls" as well "small pieces of soul"

Honestly, I find it a poetic title in French.

To reply you must either login or sign up.