Forum › Shimanami Tasogare discussion

Akari
joined Apr 16, 2013

Lesbian sidecouple would be a good band name.

LMAO YES

53229346_p8_master1200
joined Jan 19, 2016

so glad this is updating again, haven't seen anything like this with the same vibe in the past year ;;

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This is a surprisingly interesting series. Been on my to-read list for awhile and I was intending to wait until it was finished to read it. Glad I decided to just get around to reading it now instead on a whim.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh yeah... the nice people, who are sooo understanding. It's not like they have any ill will. It's not like they have prejudice... but they constantly remind you that you're "different". They tiptoe around you, trying to be mindful and understanding, as if you had cancer and it shouldn't be mentioned, but at the same time they make it the elephant in the room. They refuse to treat you "normally".

They are indeed very hard to deal with. Because if you snap at them, they will feel offended.

I think the only way to have them thinking is to have a third party explain them how insensitive they are, how some people hate to be shoved their supposed difference in the face and just that a little empathy would go a long way instead of only "sympathy".

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

Love is better shown than said. So do kindness. Double-faced people like Yokama-san makes me think - what face should I slap first. I strongly dislike this kind of people. For me, nobody has the right to "out" anybody. Like, Rosie O' Donnell who was hell-bound to ”out" Oprah. Whether Oprah is a closeted-gay or not, that is her business. Granting if she is really a closeted-gay, to admit it or not in public is Oprah's choice. Nobody has the right to make decision for her. For if you do, you trampled her inherent right to exist as a human. O' Donell is admirable as she became as one of the influential voice of the LGBT. All the more I can't understand. For she should know better the word, CHOICE. As in the story, it is not about coming out or to be understood. You just live your life as you want it to be.

last edited at Dec 1, 2017 10:11AM

Xxx
joined Nov 25, 2016

Updates and updates, and now 2 chapters in the same day! Thank you so much. It feels like it's ending, or not...?
I really love this story and its realistic portrayal.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

End of volume 3.

It's marked a "ongoing" on BU, but who knows. i don't think the author said everything they had to say.

And it's so consistently good as it goes, it's amazing. It hits all kind of right notes.

"If you get mad, you get worn out, and if you don't get mad, it won't get through". Story of my life.

I tend to restrain myself to get mad at people, because I dislike conflict. I just bottle it up and wait for my anger to pass.

But then, I sometimes explode and people get startled because they don't view me as someone who gets angry easily. Then, there's the satisfaction to know that by getting angry and snapping at them, they finally understand there's a problem. But it's exhausting.

last edited at Dec 2, 2017 3:45AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

KalzCarvalho posted:

There's a popular saying in my country, I dont know if it's said in other countries as well, but the saying goes like this: "Hell is full of good intentions".

In English it's "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

last edited at Dec 2, 2017 8:51AM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Is that the end?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nya-chan posted:

I tend to restrain myself to get mad at people, because I dislike conflict. I just bottle it up and wait for my anger to pass.

But then, I sometimes explode and people get startled because they don't view me as someone who gets angry easily. Then, there's the satisfaction to know that by getting angry and snapping at them, they finally understand there's a problem. But it's exhausting.

I'm exactly the same.

I don't really think Yokama is being kind. She gives me more vibe of person who find it fascinating. Like "wow, my previous classmate change sex? That is so cool!" I don't think she want to make class reunion to out him, more like it feels like she found something cool and want to share it with everyone and talk about it. Like, she wants to see surprise on their face and/or she wants to brag she knows someone like that. Either way, she is someone I don't want to have any relation in real life.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Oh man, the irony. They literally explain that Yokama is just trying to be nice, the problem is she is too nice and trying to push too hard on the wrong person. It's like trying to make a homeless man a spokesman for poverty prevention when all he wants is to be left alone. It's not a bad thing to want to help minorities and the unfortunate, you just need to make sure that the person on top of the parade float wants to be there.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

KalzCarvalho posted:

~change sex~ is a terrible expression, and not only that, it's also a false statement. There's no such thing as "changing sex", only recognizing who you are. Dont use it, except in specific cases, like this one, where you were trying to express what she was thinking.

To be honest, I find it much easier and faster way to explain idea than going into all details. Yes, here I was more using it the way she sees it, but if you want to explain it fast to someone who isn't into know-how, I think this phrase works well as a shortcut.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I swear this would make an amazing anime, especially the visuals

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Nevri posted:
To be honest, I find it much easier and faster way to explain idea than going into all details. Yes, here I was more using it the way she sees it, but if you want to explain it fast to someone who isn't into know-how, I think this phrase works well as a shortcut.

Well further that's what the operation is literally called when one receives it, no? A "sex change" (or that's the shorthand, it's called sex reassignment surgery). What's more there's no telling how every person who's trans feels about being trans, whether it's accepting who they "are" or deciding to "change". Hell that was kind of the entire point of Utsumi's arc here; that you don't know how others feel and should make no assumptions. Also on a more objective level if I'm understanding correct the path Utsumi went on was an actual changing of sex organs from one kind to another, so while the term might offend, it's not incorrect.

last edited at Dec 2, 2017 6:30PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Swifft posted:

Well further that's what the operation is literally called when one receives it, no? A "sex change" (or that's the shorthand, it's called sex reassignment surgery).

As far as I know, it used to be called sex change, but people who wanted to do it, started to refer to it as sex reassignment surgery, exactly to reaffirm idea that they do not change gender. Whatever the new name stuck or not and where they use which, I don't know.

Also on a more objective level if I'm understanding correct the path Utsumi went on was an actual changing of sex organs from one kind to another, so while the term might offend, it's not incorrect.

Yea, you could argue they don't change gender but still change sex, but there were already people here saying that there is no difference between gender and sex since what sex you are isn't depended on your organs so... I'm not going into that again.

last edited at Dec 2, 2017 6:41PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

You know, if this was a normal yuri manga (you the ones that are so unrealistic it hurts to see a good ending sometimes) Koyama would probably have the hots for Utsumi, and that's why she would be nice but hurtful at the same time...although this manga is so realistic it hurts so yeah...not happening

53229346_p8_master1200
joined Jan 19, 2016

I'm so glad to see Tasuku having matured so much and become happier and more confident, and that Tsubaki's going through the same process too. And Koyama deserved what she got, paralleling utsumi's flashback she feels superior thinking she's helping despite never listening to Utsumi and whatever her good intentions were, she was trying to force her own agenda onto him. There are certainly LGBT people who are willing to and like talking about their experiences but there's as many if not more of us who just wanna be left alone lol. All the same I hope from those last panels she feels sorry and has changed and i hope maybe we get to see her apology and their make up someday.

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

Oh man, the irony. They literally explain that Yokama is just trying to be nice, the problem is she is too nice and trying to push too hard on the wrong person.<

That is the problem, she is too nice that I doubt her to be really nice. The "too" creates an imbalance that you have to see beyond her surface intention to underlying ones. And this chapter 13 made me more admire the author. He simply showed unblatantly but effective way what is being "nice" and "not nice" through Koyama's daughter's and Koyama's actions. They came there to help and that is exactly what the daughter was doing(no cringer, no nosiness but only to help and learn). To which the exact opposite of what her mother is doing. It was good the tiles dropped to break Yokama's RIDICULOUSLY INSENSITIVE INTERROGATIONS. Her daughter has more sense than her! Yokama is too nice to be sincere.
You don't go to a volunteer work where people are there to help and mostly, these service-oriented people are homosexuals, yet, you go around talking about homosexual's experiences and asking who are homosexuals as if it is a forum.Dang! It is either Yokama is highly INsensitive or just plain stupid.

And Koyama deserved what she got, paralleling utsumi's flashback she feels superior thinking she's helping despite never listening to Utsumi and whatever her good intentions were, she was trying to force her own agenda onto him.<

Yes, I can't see from previous chapters that Yokama is portrayed as a "helpful" person. If anything, Utsumi is the nice person to a point he still gives Yokama the benefit of the doubt by attending.

Edit: This, When you say nothing at all, keeps on playing in my head while reading chap. 14.

last edited at Dec 7, 2017 2:20AM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

If this were a movie, it would probably win awards.

Vanilla!!!
joined Feb 12, 2016

wahh im so glad this updated... i can't wait to see how this will continue.
started tearing up at tchaikos backstory ;;___;;

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

I wanna meet anonymus and have a place like that irl

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

So who's the best lesbian side-couple? I'd nominate Akechi and Michi of Centaur no Nayami

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I wanna meet anonymus and have a place like that irl

Who doesn't?

__io_euclase_and_rosetta_granblue_fantasy_drawn_by_takishima_asaka__1d4a58edaca73c7fce39685c5353a2f6_crop
joined Dec 30, 2014

So who's the best lesbian side-couple? I'd nominate Akechi and Michi of Centaur no Nayami

Kouya and Yamato from Loveless are a personal favorite of mine.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Sooooooo everyone is gay

last edited at Jan 31, 2018 6:31PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.