Forum › Citrus discussion

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

jeeeeezzzzzz mei's harem keep building

Mono_a_2kmc
joined Jul 1, 2014

Nah...

joined Nov 30, 2011

Sasameki koto, Stretch, Girlfriends, Candy boy and the first half of Aoi hana would like to have a word with citrus about how to do natural relationship growth and drama right.

I literally laughed so hard at this. If you would've added Octave to the list, I think my stomach would've started to hurt. I've dropped Stretch after the first 3 chapters, but here's the thing: Sasameki Koto is 52 chapters about 2 girls, who basically realize their love for each other is mutual like 25 chapters before they finally kiss. Half the manga is spent beating around the bush and both, Sumi as well as Kazama, stupidly ignoring blatantly obvious hints the other one drops, which would have caused any other person to come out and confess already. Candy Boy is a Manga about a stupid misunderstanding, which, for some idiotic reason, causes a pair of twin sisters, who've always gotten along perfectly and who've always spoken to each other about everything, to suddenly get all angsty about their bond and stop talking to each other cause fuck logic. Girlfriends...remember how Mari got jealous when Akiko allowed that other girl to call her by the same nickname she allows Mari to use? And how Akko gets jealous because that person, who is Mari's childhood friend, spends time with Mari? Uh huh, totally natural drama. And don't get me started on Aoi Hana, starring narcissistic crybaby Fumi and I-don't-know-what-the-hell-I-even-want Akira. In fact, I loved all these mangas, but compared to Citrus, neither of them felt any more natural or less forced. Seriously, that comparison sucked.

Why did you drop Stretch after 3 chapters?? I had to ask. And I sort of sympathized with Mari in Girl Friends. When you're not great with people and make a close friend, you get sort of protective. When you see a new person enter and this friend basically does the same thing with them that they did with you, you get a bit jealous. It seemed pretty natural to me. In Sasameki Koto you have to remember Sumi had been in love with Kazama for quite a long time so I can understand her inability to believe that Kazama actually loved her back. I went through something similar with my GF when I found out I loved her. I dropped hints for months trying to gauge what would happen if I had told her (there were reasons for this). And one day, she beat me to the punch lol. One of the more stressful stretches for me in our relationship thus far ><. My only beef with Sasameki Koto is that the author waited until the end to show the kiss. It's annoying, not to mention we missed so much time to see them grow as a couple (why do we NEVER see this part!!!?). As for Aoi Hana... .... ........ Nevermind.

On another note, I kind of don't see why everyone is thinking there's gonna be "another" (since, technically, the sitch with Matsuri wasn't even one) love triangle. Once Sara realizes that Mei is the person Yuzu is in love with, I don't think she'll be evil enough to try to win Mei for herself. She seems like such a good person, I think it's much more likely that she'll help Yuzu and Mei make up. Or maybe help either of them understand what the other one feels.

This is what I'm thinking happens as well.

joined Oct 29, 2014

On another note, I kind of don't see why everyone is thinking there's gonna be "another" (since, technically, the sitch with Matsuri wasn't even one) love triangle.

Love triangle cliches are there, the situations repeating over and over and over, no matter how you twist the cliche (be it fake or imaginary)... it is there yet again for the sake of more of the same tired and overused drama.

Kokoko
joined Mar 14, 2014

Nah, cliché, still great.

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

I love the art, but that's about it. The characters are quite stupid and I like them less and less. :D I don't mind sad or depressing stories, but there has to be reason for drama. OK, I get all the "coming out" fear and I think we all do. But more and more love rivals, wanting to sleep with your love interest and then changing your mind, not talking for months and sleeping in the same bed - seriously?

Minayoko
joined Aug 11, 2013

Why did you drop Stretch after 3 chapters?? I had to ask. And I sort of sympathized with Mari in Girl Friends. When you're not great with people and make a close friend, you get sort of protective. When you see a new person enter and this friend basically does the same thing with them that they did with you, you get a bit jealous. It seemed pretty natural to me. In Sasameki Koto you have to remember Sumi had been in love with Kazama for quite a long time so I can understand her inability to believe that Kazama actually loved her back. I went through something similar with my GF when I found out I loved her. I dropped hints for months trying to gauge what would happen if I had told her (there were reasons for this). And one day, she beat me to the punch lol. One of the more stressful stretches for me in our relationship thus far ><. My only beef with Sasameki Koto is that the author waited until the end to show the kiss. It's annoying, not to mention we missed so much time to see them grow as a couple (why do we NEVER see this part!!!?). As for Aoi Hana... .... ........ Nevermind.

That you could sympathize a bit with some characters of the aforementioned mangas doesn't change that there were still huge parts of them, which seemed as unnaturally dramatic and forced as Citrus. My point is: the main problem Citrus presents, which I think is what most people don't see and thus don't get why there's all this drama, is that there is almost 0 common ground between Mei and Yuzu, which is what is different from an overwhelming lot of other manga. Fumi and Akira: childhood friends; Kazama and Sumi: childhood friends; Mari and Akko: pretty similar personalities; Yuki and Kana: twins, known each other for their entire lives. Mei and Yuzu: step-sisters, who don't share a past together, have lived completely different lives until they met and are polar opposites of each other. This is the base, that was presented for them. It should've been pretty clear from the beginning, that it's gonna be a tough road. Mei has no idea how to properly convey her feelings to someone. Until recently, she didn't even understand that it's ok to do so at all. She's used to being a marionette, used to doing what other people expect from her. She only just recently learned, that this isn't how it has to be. That doesn't mean that she suddenly understands everything and can tell Yuzu, in a way this damn airhead won't misunderstand, what she feels. Not taking the lead and allowing Yuzu to take control, for a character like Mei, is a pretty big change. Yuzu, on the other hand, is always straight-forward and has a clear idea in her head of how she wants her first love to be like. Since Mei doesn't fit in this ideal picture, yet Yuzu is madly in love with her, isn't it understandable, that she's terribly confused? She's always having doubts about both, Mei's as well as her own intentions. She still thinks her love for Mei is one-sided, which it clearly isn't. Those 2 girls are so unlike each other and so incredibly inexperienced when it comes to love and relationships, that it would feel a lot less real if there wouldn't be drama and misunderstandings. And why is it so unnatural, that other people play a role in their development? I don't like how people always scream and rage about love triangles when there hasn't even been a single actual love triangle until now. I mean. Yuzu was never interested in Matsuri and Mei was never interested in Himeko. And I doubt that either of the 2 is gonna develop feelings for Sara or Nina, so yeah...

Also, I have no particular reason why I dropped Stretch. It just didn't seem like something I'd enjoy, so I stopped reading it. * shrugs *

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 8:02PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Okay I pick this up after months !! (only 3 chapters lol), well is good to know that they're aware of their desires, despite the fact that the fail so hard at transmit them....!! seriously just SPEAK! don't go quiet, JUST TALK ABOUT IT and don't let the doubts or fears pill up! HOLY ZEN! Just like Nanoha (Magical Lyrical) always tried to do "let's talk about it!" before it turns into an impossible confusion and more cliches...

And that's one creepy face to put when you're about to have sex, seriously, when Yuzu said in the train "I was scared" Damn, I WAS SCARED TOO! no wonder she couldn't do it... I know is not the case but boy! she is creepy.

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 8:36PM

Minayoko
joined Aug 11, 2013

Just like Nanoha (Magical Lyrical) always tried to do "let's talk about it!"

I agree. And if talking doesn't show results, they should just Starlight Breaker each other and boom, problem solved. XD

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

I've kinda lost my initial love for this story, mainly because we get, essentially, nothing every two months. It feels like Mei and Yuzu's relationship is just too sour to even progress to anything romantic - or even genuine sisterly love.

But I will say that I liked how Yuzu didn't just jump the gun to have sex with Mei "because she could". She's still kinda sticking to the mindset that Mei needs a sister - not a lover.

Matsuri's sudden 180 was kinda scary, although now it seems like she's getting attached to Mei more than she was Yuzu. I wish the story had delved a little more into Matsuri as she is now and her relationship with the two, before moving immediately to a new set of characters.

That said, I'm sort of liking the two new characters. I get the feeling these sisters are going to help Yuzu and Mei separately and somehow bring them together by the end of the trip.

last edited at Dec 8, 2014 1:34AM

Anime
joined Oct 20, 2014

"Knowing that . . . Do you still want to take a peek-"

A: No I don't. :3

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Just like Nanoha (Magical Lyrical) always tried to do "let's talk about it!"

I agree. And if talking doesn't show results, they should just Starlight Breaker each other and boom, problem solved. XD

Right? XD geez It gets me really mad when I remember that she let a whole month pass without trying to explain herself but she meets a random girl and "lol let's talk!" nooooooooo D:< !!

Download
joined Aug 8, 2013

Cliche love triangle is cliche...

joined Jan 8, 2014

On another note, I kind of don't see why everyone is thinking there's gonna be "another" (since, technically, the sitch with Matsuri wasn't even one) love triangle. Once Sara realizes that Mei is the person Yuzu is in love with, I don't think she'll be evil enough to try to win Mei for herself. She seems like such a good person, I think it's much more likely that she'll help Yuzu and Mei make up. Or maybe help either of them understand what the other one feels.

I was thinking sort of the same, or at least a catalyst to help their love meet instead of crossing all the time

Right? XD geez It gets me really mad when I remember that she let a whole month pass without trying to explain herself but she meets a random girl and "lol let's talk!" nooooooooo D:< !!

Ummmm, have you ever been in a relationship? No offense but sometimes you need to "talk" to someone about them because hearing it spoken from your own mouth does wonders add in helpful/encouraging advice and your set...
Ive had rough times where talking to a stranger was the best thing because no strings, ya know?

Anyway im one of the hopefuls who enjoys this series and the bullying of the mangaka toying with it hahahaha... ;)

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

That you could sympathize a bit with some characters of the aforementioned mangas doesn't change that there were still huge parts of them, which seemed as unnaturally dramatic and forced as Citrus. My point is: the main problem Citrus presents, which I think is what most people don't see and thus don't get why there's all this drama, is that there is almost 0 common ground between Mei and Yuzu, which is what is different from an overwhelming lot of other manga. Fumi and Akira: childhood friends; Kazama and Sumi: childhood friends; Mari and Akko: pretty similar personalities; Yuki and Kana: twins, known each other for their entire lives. Mei and Yuzu: step-sisters, who don't share a past together, have lived completely different lives until they met and are polar opposites of each other. This is the base, that was presented for them. It should've been pretty clear from the beginning, that it's gonna be a tough road. Mei has no idea how to properly convey her feelings to someone. Until recently, she didn't even understand that it's ok to do so at all. She's used to being a marionette, used to doing what other people expect from her. She only just recently learned, that this isn't how it has to be. That doesn't mean that she suddenly understands everything and can tell Yuzu, in a way this damn airhead won't misunderstand, what she feels. Not taking the lead and allowing Yuzu to take control, for a character like Mei, is a pretty big change. Yuzu, on the other hand, is always straight-forward and has a clear idea in her head of how she wants her first love to be like. Since Mei doesn't fit in this ideal picture, yet Yuzu is madly in love with her, isn't it understandable, that she's terribly confused? She's always having doubts about both, Mei's as well as her own intentions. She still thinks her love for Mei is one-sided, which it clearly isn't. Those 2 girls are so unlike each other and so incredibly inexperienced when it comes to love and relationships, that it would feel a lot less real if there wouldn't be drama and misunderstandings. And why is it so unnatural, that other people play a role in their development? I don't like how people always scream and rage about love triangles when there hasn't even been a single actual love triangle until now. I mean. Yuzu was never interested in Matsuri and Mei was never interested in Himeko. And I doubt that either of the 2 is gonna develop feelings for Sara or Nina, so yeah...

EXACTLY!

Having Mei and Yuzu become the perfect idiot lovebirds would be bad writing, they're sorting their MASSIVE issues little a little with each new character serving as the catalyzer for those changes. And c'mon people, let's be honest here. Back in High School no one came out telling you to cut the crap before you changed/matured?

For those bothered about the two months of silence between the two of them, have you never got in a fight with a family member/couple that got you not talking to them for months? (and no, sharing a bed doesn't really mean a thing. I've shared plenty of times a bed with a co-worker and that didn't made us closer)

Frankly, it seems that bashing Citrus is just the trend with very few people actually bothering to see that there's an overarching arc for our protagonist and instead just taking the easy way to yell "is crap and full of cliches!".

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ummmm, have you ever been in a relationship? No offense but sometimes you need to "talk" to someone about them because hearing it spoken from your own mouth does wonders add in helpful/encouraging advice and your set...
Ive had rough times where talking to a stranger was the best thing because no strings, ya know?

None taken, in fact I know how easier is to talk with someone from outside who can give an honest opinion, but these girl live together! they gotta face each other everyday ! DAY AND NIGHT! and you would think that all those misunderstandings would give her some wisdom but nope, and is all for the sake of the drama! sigh I wouldn't even stand a week of silence, I'm mad because is stupid how she can't talk with her friends about it and it seems like if this cliche wasn't activated their relationship wouldn't go anywhere else... It would've ended that christmass eve bcoz none of them have the resolve to do something about it.

Edit: About the comment above that I didn't see, yes is normal to fight with a family member and let the steam appease but They didn't FIGHT! I bet none of them really know what the other is feeling, they are just guessing now like "I bet Mei thinks I hate her" and Mei might be "she thinks I'm disgusting..." or something like that... In a fight you just throw your feelings out and you might lose control but at least both parties would have an idea of what's going on. But this is agghhh bitter!

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 10:04PM

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

Mei did say that she was grateful to Yuzu for patching things up with her and her father. So in return, she wants to give her the thing that she wants the most. It sounds like Mei is only doing it out of obligation, not because she wants to do it as well. I understand Yuzu's pov. Plus, Mei showed no hint of emotion in her eyes. Everything she did at that moment was a turnoff.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

lol @ Nanoha reference. This got pretty big again...I'm just gonna walk away slowly...I'm still neutral...

Sam1
joined May 11, 2012

The best thing about a new chapter are the passionate, essay-length comments here, lol

Anyway, it's impressive how Yuzu still manages to function next to Mei with all that pent-up sexual frustration.
I wish we'd get a chapter from Mei's point of view for a change, the kiss in chapter 8 was nice and all but it's starting to feel a little bit like Mei doesn't care all that much for Yuzu (which of course isn't the case, but it still feels that way).

Really looking forward to what's gonna happen with those two new girls though, we need some delicious drama and suffering, the whole Matsuri incident was kinda disappointing in that regard.

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 11:46PM

Images
joined Dec 7, 2014

"Mei did say that she was grateful to Yuzu for patching things up with her and her father. So in return, she wants to give her the thing that she wants the most. It sounds like Mei is only doing it out of obligation, not because she wants to do it as well. I understand Yuzu's pov. Plus, Mei showed no hint of emotion in her eyes. Everything she did at that moment was a turnoff." - dianjc.

Completely agree! Mei knows that Yuzu likes her, even loves her... it's pretty obvious to me that Yuzu, wanting more than just Mei's body, would say no to this "repayment". Of course, she could have said that to Mei instead of just saying she couldn't do this, but the why is implicit. I didn't liked the explanation that Yuzu gave, as she was a coward.

Also, there's all that talk Mei did before offering her body to Yuzu (the part that she put Yuzu's hand above of her heart, not the one she talk about gratitude) and, to me, it let implicit that Mei likes Yuzu too. Even so, I think Yuzu did the right thing. Love will be her final prize.

I like Matsuri. And I also think she should appear a little more before more characters arrive.

About the new girls, it was obvious that the person the little girl saw before meeting Yuzu was Mei. I agree with you guys that think she won't be a issue between them, but her sister could be.

All that said: Nanoha reference! Yay! hahah
I totally agree. Just Starlight Breaker already! XD

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

So... I really would like to have sex with you, and I'm going to tell you so in a way that seems like I'm selling my body to you as thanks for your fixing my life, and look at you while doing my best imitation of Kristen Stewart.

Huh!? You suddenly have second thoughts? it's ok. But I'll feel frustrated now, and I'm not going to talk to you ever again, even though we live in the same house.

Then we get an ending that makes me remember why Citrus is at the bottom of reading priorities.

last edited at Dec 7, 2014 11:48PM

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

I literally laughed so hard at this. If you would've added Octave to the list, I think my stomach would've started to hurt.

You must be the life of the party.

joined Feb 14, 2014

Everybody is over analyzing this. Just enjoy the yuri

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

The best thing about a new chapter are the passionate, essay-length comments here, lol

Anyway, it's impressive how Yuzu still manages to function next to Mei with all that pent-up sexual frustration.

No kidding. On both points. I absolutely love the analyses too. It's like a guilty pleasure just watching you all type out your frustrations.

And there's goddamn Yuzu who just barely manages. I swear. That girl probably stops breathing every time Mei is in the room.

So... I really would like to have sex with you, and I'm going to tell you so in a way that seems like I'm selling my body to you as thanks for your fixing my life, and look at you while doing my best imitation of Kristen Stewart.

Huh!? You suddenly have second thoughts? it's ok. But I'll feel frustrated now, and I'm not going to talk to you ever again, even though we live in the same house.

Then we get an ending that makes me remember why Citrus is at the bottom of reading priorities.

Haha. Hey. Let's all remember that Citrus is fictional... and like, unnecessary drama has proven over time to somehow work in drawing in people to read/watch stuff.

But seriously, Mei is the most sensitive soul I've ever seen on ink. But she's also horrible at communication, which literally leads us readers to our eternal frustration.

I just hope the new characters help promote growth in Mei and Yuzu, rather than stunt it. I've had enough of this bs. I need them to start communicating, like they should've, since chapter 3.

joined Sep 11, 2014

Isn't this the third rival already? Slams head onto the ground

To reply you must either login or sign up.