Forum › Dreading Spring discussion

Yuri is the best
Sans-titre
joined Oct 3, 2014

Arg ! My heart is breaking ! I don't think this is a happy end, It makes me sad.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

I like the execution, not so much the plot

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

I like the execution, not so much the plot

Same. It's not that the plot is cliché, more like the plot's pretty uneventful.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm reminded of the Maiden's Cake stories, little slices of life where girls fail to start relationships.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I feel like there is hope for these two. Not because she's leaving but because it seems that their feelings are mutual. We know that they will see each other again. They're best friends so Ichigo is likely to return during the holidays. I would imagine that during this time Hitomi would confess her love to Ichigo.

At least that's how I see it.

Tuna%20copy
joined Nov 7, 2014

Part two?

%d0%a1%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%bc%d0%be%d0%ba
joined Nov 10, 2013

I have seen yuri manga with plot like this about one billion times. And at this point i just click thru the pages with 'meh, boring' expression.
Really, I feel sorry for authors who can't come up at least something original.

last edited at Apr 23, 2015 11:10AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I have seen yuri manga with plot like this about one billion times. And at this point i just click thru the pages with 'meh, boring' expression.

Really? A billion times, you say? Wow, I can only think of maybe three or four on the whole site where they do that "see you off with a smile" and actually do it.

Do we even have a billion manga?

It must be hard for you, being such a discerning reader who can only enjoy completely original, never-before-attempted plots that blaze new ground with every page. There can't be much you can read without tossing it on the ground in disgust.

%d0%a1%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%bc%d0%be%d0%ba
joined Nov 10, 2013

There can't be much you can read without tossing it on the ground in disgust.

Yeah, you get it. Something like that. So sad.

last edited at Apr 23, 2015 11:58AM

Promo-facebook-facebook%20profile%20picture
joined May 24, 2014

I kinda have to agree, these angst stories used to make me feel sad, now I just read them thinking "meh whatever" too.
Real life has enough unrequited love, so I at least want to read yuri with a happy ending!

Still, thanks for translating, I'm sure someone will enjoy it xD

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I kinda have to agree, these angst stories used to make me feel sad, now I just read them thinking "meh whatever" too.
Real life has enough unrequited love, so I at least want to read yuri with a happy ending!

Well, if everybody would only ever write happy endings people would say that happy ends aren't satisfactory at all.

I feel sorry for authors who can't come up at least something original.

I doubt you stand in any position to feel sorry for them. But oh well, I'm sure they appreciate your concern.

last edited at Apr 23, 2015 12:45PM

FlameHazeKatsu
Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

TEARS TO MY EYES! T_T I'll just make my own ending. Few years later they happen to meet then bam! they live happily ever after.... :| >_<

joined Jan 8, 2014

She's just going to high school, so I think happy ending is the girl works her but off to get into a uni in Tokyo, this of course is after them keeping in touch regularly, supporting each other thru finals or the hectic new life style of living in dorms etc...
Now they've grown close, in the adult friendship sense, and then one night she confess's "be-because I wanted to see you again"... "be by your side"... Etc
And the other one is all, " you've always been by my side, thank you for being there for me"...
And then they get all touchy Feely, literally ^_^

joined Aug 11, 2014

I'm not going to talk about it being unoriginal, per se, but as a standalone story, there's not much to it. It's more like a container for the flower metaphor than anything else. It's just vague enough that you can infer all sorts of symbols and make them sound deeper than they were probably meant to be. Good fun. Better read like it's a poem, rather than a straightforward manga.

Edit: I mean, yeah, there are all sorts of possible follow-ups in a literal fictional chronology sense, but what actually happens to the characters in their theoretical lives seems less significant than the single idea that the manga is trying to embody. It's like it's trying to take a specific feeling in a specific moment and put it in a form that's communicable to others, and I don't know if people might get kind of distracted by the unexplained life choices of the paper thin characters, when they're not as important as the scenario they're being used to convey.

last edited at Apr 23, 2015 3:22PM

joined Jan 17, 2014

i knew there wont be a happy ending, but fuk :( i feel very bad when the characters just smile and smile and smile, just like heavy pain summing up each page, but in the end, there werent any crying out loud, just the girl taking the big pain very slowly and slowly :( old kind of plot but there always old kind of feeling
oh is anyone know who the artist of this cover, and webpage ?? http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dreading_spring#24

joined Jan 8, 2014

Edit: I mean, yeah, there are all sorts of possible follow-ups in a literal fictional chronology sense, but what actually happens to the characters in their theoretical lives seems less significant than the single idea that the manga is trying to embody. It's like it's trying to take a specific feeling in a specific moment and put it in a form that's communicable to others, and I don't know if people might get kind of distracted by the unexplained life choices of the paper thin characters, when they're not as important as the scenario they're being used to convey.

that's why manga is art! the concept, feeling, and ideas that inspire and create a story and the authors want to convey it to the readers <3 it's why I still read the "cliché" stories, because well I really enjoy them, but each story has it's own touch to it, ya know?

joined Mar 23, 2013

Anyone who's ever had to leave a friend(s) or someone to pursue studies knows this feel, it might not be an original but a lot of people can relate.

Also, can there be truly an original story especially of the romantic variety in 2015?

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

part two: Hitomi goes to high school and meets a new girl, forgets about her senpai and has a new relationship. Yay happy ending!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Am I the only one who was struck by how different the actual title and the T/N title were? One means that they were afraid of spring coming and the other means they want it to come.

joined Mar 30, 2012

There was angst all the way til the very end where it seems like the love was mutual! plus the bud actually bloomed, that's either a good end or there's a chapter two.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

part two: Hitomi goes to high school and meets a new girl, forgets about her senpai and has a new relationship. Yay happy ending!

Actually, this is (mostly) the most likely and realistic happy ending if you ask me, especially given their age. The most important component to a strong happy ending here is that their friendship remains strong, even if romance never flourishes.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This is my preferred ending. She's learned about herself, experienced her first crush and remained friends (if long-distant friends) with someone she cared about. This opens her up to a fulfilling love later on.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

When my friend changed job after 4 years working by my side I cried, a lot! It was a friendship... but I cried in front of him and he understood, it was natural ... I was able to talk with him later and we keep in touch (thanks whatsapp!). So I think this was cute but not accurate ... That girl must be veeeery strong to fake a smile, hold her tears and hide her love without no one noticing! Not even her best friend who didnt cry either! So I don't buy it. It was cute ... too cute in fact.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

^I'm the type who'd rather cry when I'm alone at home, after the bad stuff has happened ^^; Based on the story, I sort of imagine that's what happened.

It's actually a really sad story though. Nice to get some strong angst every once in a while. Thankfully, I still laughed because this is the rudest page in all of yuri.

It's like it's trying to take a specific feeling in a specific moment and put it in a form that's communicable to others, and I don't know if people might get kind of distracted by the unexplained life choices of the paper thin characters, when they're not as important as the scenario they're being used to convey.

This is a very Japanese sentiment, and I'm with you.

last edited at Apr 24, 2015 1:01PM

Simple-butterfly-tattoos-designs
joined Apr 24, 2015

Really? A billion times, you say? Wow, I can only think of maybe three or four on the whole site where they do that "see you off with a smile" and actually do it.

Do we even have a billion manga?

It must be hard for you, being such a discerning reader who can only enjoy completely original, never-before-attempted plots that blaze new ground with every page. There can't be much you can read without tossing it on the ground in disgust.

Here comes a needlessly long response.

I have read a lot of manga etc, etc, essentially I've seen my fair (and a hell lot more) of stories. Essentially i get really tipped off when people complain about originality. Humans have been writing stories before they could even literally write (verbal lore). So no, it's not original. If you dig long enough, someone most likely has already done it. So stop complaining about originality, it's practically impossible to be original. Also the whole perspective of originality is subjective. For someone who has never read manga or even exposed to yuri this is the most fly bat sh*t original graphic representation of a plot they have ever come across. Even the artist them self may think it's a original idea because THEY have not come across it. ALSO, the plot ISN'T that generic but that's for the next paragraph. Basically: STOP BLOODY COMPLAINING ABOUT ORIGINALITY. calm and thus, for me, what really counts to the enjoyment/entertainment value of a piece of literature is execution. If you can retell Little Red Riding Hood better than the last guy, I would still enjoy it,

For those who don't think this is original, please direct me to why you think so, because to me, it is (read above as to the subjectivity of the perspective of originality).

Now for some actually interesting stuff. Although i might be reading too much into it.
1. Hitomi promising herself that she would send off Ichiko with a smile.
2. The flower that was mentioned that bloomed in the spring, signaling Ichiko's departure.
3. Hitomi crushing the flower in spite of the impending spring.
4. Ichiko stating the resemblance of the flower to Hitomi.
5. Hitomi recites "it's better that she doesn't know about the flower i crushed", as opposed to the more expected "it's better that she doesn't know about my feelings".
6. Hitomi's hope that Ichiko will only remember her blessings.

1,6: Pretty generic stuff, but still got me. More of personal reasons.
1,4: Hitomi was "blooming" when she sent off Ichiko is where i found the resemblance, interesting semblance but another interesting point being that Hitomi's "blooming" was forced.
2,3,5 :Spring being an annotation of romance, maybe Hitomi is referencing her giving up her love instead the actual event.
5. If more literally taken, it's possible that she simply fears how Ichiko would respond since Ichiko said she like the flower.
5. If glanced over I think many would have just replaced the line with "It's better that she doesn't about my feelings" due to similarities with the cliche.

To reply you must either login or sign up.