Forum › A Story About Buying a Classmate Once a Week ~ 5,000 Yen for an Excuse to Spend Time Together discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Neither of them being into girls (at least as far as they know for now) was an interesting surprise for this kind of story, and certainly makes the entire deal a lot less questionable, even if we all know it'll eventually go there anyway.

joined May 9, 2017

I don't like when half chapters are released. They feel obviously incomplete (because they are, of course). I'd prefer it if they released a full chapter every two months, or shorter but complete chapters each month.

And before anyone jumps in to say this, I will be reading it every two months regardless, if this continues to be the case. I just think they're ruining the pace and make the series less enjoyable by doing this, so I'm not sure if this is a good call on the publisher's side.

It's a pretty common practice for monthly chapter being released on the internet. The other manga I'm reading that way either have really short chapter or have long chapter being divided into 2/3 parts.

I actually do prefer chapter when they are longer, even if they are being released in multiple parts. It allows for more development because have a story being contained in a few pages can feel suffocating in the long run. The thing is in this case, the cut is way too obvious. Generally speaking, they managed to cut at a place where is does feel more natural. In this case, they could have just cut at the page where Miyagi says "I'll buy you for 5000 yens" and it would have been fine.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

The thing is in this case, the cut is way too obvious. Generally speaking, they managed to cut at a place where is does feel more natural. In this case, they could have just cut at the page where Miyagi says "I'll buy you for 5000 yens" and it would have been fine.

That's kind of what I meant by "shorter but complete chapters". I didn't mean that they should try to fit the same amount of story of a longer chapter into a shorter one, but rather, that they should make sure that each chapter (which would be equivalent to a part of a longer chapter) feels complete on its own, by ending them at appropriate points.

While I understand that it may be common practice to separate chapters in parts, I still believe that it is to the detriment of the quality of storytelling. Especially in cases such as this one, where they don't even seem to have considered whether the cut-off point makes the least bit of sense. I felt the same about the "friend who steals all my firsts", or whatever it is called.

On another note, having read the wn up to the amawashi translation, I agree with the person who said that it is similar to AdaShima in some ways, but a whole lot more horny. It's not just the alternate pov's, either; the introspection and the oftentimes detached narration really reminded me of Shimamura, especially. They just give-off similar vibes, somehow.

Nishikino-maki-and-ayase-eri-3-love-live-school-idol-project-37571467-350-197(1)
joined Dec 1, 2018

What do you mean youre not into that Girl on girl? It has already been decided by the artist that you are Gay :)

joined Feb 24, 2023

I genuinely cannot tell if this is toxic or not

Jumbo-yotsuba-4810
joined Mar 31, 2023

I genuinely cannot tell if this is toxic or not

Nor can I but it's an interesting story so far.

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Don't know if it's considered spoilers but about whether it's toxic or not It isn't. There'll be some hiccups in the first few dozen chapters but they don't abuse or bring out the worst in each other. Even Miyagi can be sweet at times despite being a tsun...tsuntsuntsuntsuntsundere. It's all consensual stuff that both know Sendai can easily walk away from if she doesn't want to go along with it.

last edited at Aug 1, 2024 3:22PM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Not feeling this one so far, bunch of contrived nonsense

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

yeeeah sure, you're totally not into the girl on girl thing..

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Don't know if it's considered spoilers but about whether it's toxic or not It isn't. There'll be some hiccups in the first few dozen chapters but they don't abuse or bring out the worst in each other. Even Miyagi can be sweet at times despite being a tsun...tsuntsuntsuntsuntsundere. It's all consensual stuff that both know Sendai can easily walk away from if she doesn't want to go along with it.

I have a different opinion.

Miyagi can be abusive, like when she takes out her frustration on Sendai by dumping her drink and food on Sendai. She feels guilty about it and avoids Sendai afterwards, but that's the best example of the toxic undercurrent in their relationship. That's their lowest point and when Sendai comes back she demands serious changes in their relationship, but it's quite touch and go.

I would agree that their relationship is more positive than not, but there's serious caveats. It's mostly consensual but the boundaries are questionable. Sendai has the option to leave completely at any time, and Miyagi can simply not invite Sendai back, but being the angsty teenagers they are, it's a long and bumpy road for them to establish their boundaries beyond a toxic binary of "accept everything or throw away everything."

I do agree Miyagi can be sweet and actually becomes quite considerate. And as cursed as their relationship is, Sendai's relationship to family and friends is so distant that her relationship with Miyagi is genuinely healthier and more communicative than the false fronts she puts up elsewhere.

last edited at Aug 1, 2024 4:33PM

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

I have a different opinion.

Miyagi can be abusive, like when she takes out her frustration on Sendai by dumping her drink and food on Sendai. She feels guilty about it and avoids Sendai afterwards, but that's the best example of the toxic undercurrent in their relationship. That's their lowest point and when Sendai comes back she demands serious changes in their relationship, but it's quite touch and go.

I would agree that their relationship is more positive than not, but there's serious caveats. It's mostly consensual but the boundaries are questionable. Sendai has the option to leave completely at any time, and Miyagi can simply not invite Sendai back, but being the angsty teenagers they are, it's a long and bumpy road for them to establish their boundaries beyond a toxic binary of "accept everything or throw away everything."

I do agree Miyagi can be sweet and actually becomes quite considerate. And as cursed as their relationship is, Sendai's relationship to family and friends is so distant that her relationship with Miyagi is genuinely healthier and more communicative than the false fronts she puts up elsewhere.

Sounds like you've more or less agreed with my description of "hiccups" early on but just elaborated on it more. Not really sure what you're calling a "different opinion".

The soda incident specifically is indeed a low point and pissed me off quite a bit. Miyagi does regret it though and they do have a conversation about how that wasn't cool from what I recall. Definitely the most major "hiccup", but conflict doesn't equal "toxicity".

last edited at Aug 1, 2024 4:41PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Friends, I think she might be catching feelings. Unsure tho. /hj

joined May 10, 2021

This is still weird and still don't make much sense, but it is somehow cute.
As long as it doesn't get too toxic, I kinda dig their nonsensical yet wholesome-ish relationship.
Thanks for the chapter!

Fruitymctootie99
Toudou%20itsumi%20and%20ookado%20tsubasa%20(warui%20ga%20watashi%20wa%20yuri%20janai)%20reshot
joined Sep 20, 2022

yay the webnovel was good so ill definitely be tuning into this manga too ^^ anyone else reading this should go read it, i loved shuukura but im still waiting for the chapters past 60-ish to be translated, though there's also a machine translation but its not that good TT

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

^Sticking to the good translation is the way to do it. I would do the same but I'd already been reading the MTL for awhile before the good translation started.

Bbdc0419e38b238dedd03df55fae45ce
joined Jul 21, 2024

It's cute so far, but since I haven't read the light novel, the progression is a bit confusing, especially Sendai-san's intentions in the recent chapter. But i'll just wait and see!

joined Aug 11, 2022

Lol...If this is considered toxic then the other series and manga I have read would be considered a nuclear wasteland.

On a scale of 10, this would be a 1-2 on the toxic scale in my opinion, barely even on the radar in my opinion (From what I read of the spoiler on this page...maybe 3 to 3.2 at worst in some rare cases due to certain situations?) XD

Once again, I like how popular girl (Sendai) bite rich anti-social girl (Miyagi)'s toes for fun/Payback...I hate very one-sided relationship where one person is in control, cocky, smug and even abusive.

Popular girl in her mind can back away and leave anytime she wants, kissing her foot as a way to tease/flustered anti-social rich girl lol. I look forward to seeing how their relationship will develop in the future.

Also...Trust me...I have seen a level 9 to 10+ toxic relationship scale type manga...I and even you could feels the bad vibes from it just from reading a few chapters (Hint: Was made to eat some bugs, baby-role play and get a belly piercing for fun.)

last edited at Aug 2, 2024 7:48AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

I read the non-MTL web novel. It's not toxic, it's at most angsty. I think the best description I could give this series is "Girls with depression play gay chicken"

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

^Nice description. Really captures the vibe in a cute way.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yeah, that's a decent description. Could quibble about whether "depression" is the best term, but they both have Unfulfilled Emotional Needs.

last edited at Aug 2, 2024 9:40AM

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

^True. Maybe "Angsty girls play gay chicken" would work better. We get to read their thoughts and clearly neither girl has clinical depression, although they do have other issues they're grappling with.

To reply you must either login or sign up.