Forum › Qualia the Purple discussion

Little Red Rum
joined Mar 6, 2015

The sketch of grown-up Gaku and Yukari is so cute! Yukari is even taller it seems xD

joined Dec 3, 2014

That letter serves more of a What-if scenario, by one of the infinite Yukari in other worlds.

Noone can convince me that this series doesn't have a happy ending and Yukari didn't end up into a giant beside Manabu.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

Since some of the people here haven't read Chapter 18, the spoiler tagged stuff below has some Chapter 18 spoilers:

In Yukari's love letter, Yukari mentions that her unique perception of the world was due to the fact that Gaku loved her and only her. However, Alice is also similar to Yukari and although Gaku didn't care for Alice as much as Yukari, it is still quite clear that she cared for Alice. Could Alice's abilities also be caused by the exact same thing? TL;DR, Harem End confirmed?

here's what i think on that:
(series spoilers)

if Yukari's explanation is correct, then one can surmise that Gaku does not love Alice (at least, not as strongly or in the same way as she loves Yukari).

first though, one needs to understand what Yukari's sight really means. Yukari sees living things as robots. she can even see things that the subject of her vision isnt even aware of (for example, the class president's weather sensors). but what exactly does that mean? i think the fact that she sees robots is not important. her brain simply chose to represent everything as robots because that was the best way for her mind to handle her perception. what she really sees is everyone's true self.

Gaku willingly submitted to an eternity of torture just to save and protect Yukari. this is why Yukari says her unique perception is born of love. Gaku accepted Yukari completely and Gaku, whether she was aware of it or not, wanted Yukari to do the same. she wanted Yukari to accept her completely just like how Gaku accepted Yukari.

Gaku was driven by love to observe, interfere, and protect Yukari's future; and in doing so, she lost the ability to interact with anything in the world (including Yukari). however, Gaku simply couldnt, on a subconscious level, let go of Yukari. Gaku loved her too much to do that. so she, subconsciously, through her meddling and interfering, gave Yukari the ability to always be able to see the real Gaku, no matter what form she takes. Yukari's brain couldnt handle seeing an abstract concept in physical form, so it chose robots to use as a visual metaphor for it. this just had the side effect of allowing Yukari to see the real form of everything else. or, in other words, to see every living thing as a robot. so yes, Yukari has her vision because Gaku loves her.

Gaku, in order to save and protect Yukari, needed to know and understand the Theory Of Everything. she did not, however, have the necessary knowledge or skills to solve this. she needed someone to do it for her. basically, she had a problem and needed something to solve it. enter Alice. her vision lets her see math as relatively simple, easy-to-understand pictures.

so what is the real nature of Alice's unique sight? basically, her perception is one that solves problems; a perception borne out of the fact that Gaku had a problem that needed solving. all throughout the story, Alice's sole purpose was to be used by Gaku to achieve the ultimate goal of saving and protecting Yukari. she needed Alice to get to Jaunt, to take over Jaunt, to help propel her as the leading figure of the new age, and ultimately to discover the Theory Of Everything. it doesnt matter to Gaku if she ends up falling in love with Alice. she always, at the end of the day, only viewed Alice as a tool to use to solve her problem. as soon as Gaku had her solution, there was no hesitation. she discarded Alice literally the very moment Alice showed her the Theory Of Everything.

so while Yukari gets her vision because Gaku loves her, Alice gets her vision so Gaku can use her. which is what makes this second panel pretty ironic lol

so no harem end, but it looks like a love triangle is starting: Alice -> Tenjou -> Kasoku

That letter serves more of a What-if scenario, by one of the infinite Yukari in other worlds.

Noone can convince me that this series doesn't have a happy ending and Yukari didn't end up into a giant beside Manabu.

i think that its more of a reference to this
Gaku tells Yukari to make contingency plans for the event that danger does come to them. the letter is, therefore, Yukari's final contingency, to be executed only if she ends up being killed. its just showing the audience what Yukari decided to do. she didnt really die.

last edited at Mar 9, 2015 8:55PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

so no harem end, but it looks like a love triangle is starting: Alice -> Tenjou -> Kasoku

That one is explained on the omakes, basically Tenjou starts bullying Kasoku because she overheard that Yukari found his robot form irresistible due his drill

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

I have no fucking idea what just happened.

Yup, that's how I feel as well.
Also, I physically cannot read the letter, the English is too painful.

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

I don't know if this is a happy ending or not, that letter was a super bummer. I will erase it from my mind. I know that Yukari died in many universes, but that's just a bummer.

That plamo kiss in the end is still a good symbolism though. I love that.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Symbolism is cool and all, but I just want some plotty shit where the main ship actually get to act shippy and we get a kiss in the end or something.

Admittedly, I'm not actually expecting that from anything in the same vein as Madoka. though I would love it until my dying day

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

i thought it was shippy enough. they did end up having like 2.5 kisses after all.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Thank you for 11.2 -- I needed a good laugh.

Kjraze
joined Mar 3, 2014

Gaku was driven by love to observe, interfere, and protect Yukari's future; and in doing so, she lost the ability to interact with anything in the world (including Yukari). however, Gaku simply couldnt, on a subconscious level, let go of Yukari. Gaku loved her too much to do that. so she, subconsciously, through her meddling and interfering, gave Yukari the ability to always be able to see the real Gaku, no matter what form she takes. Yukari's brain couldnt handle seeing an abstract concept in physical form, so it chose robots to use as a visual metaphor for it. this just had the side effect of allowing Yukari to see the real form of everything else. or, in other words, to see every living thing as a robot. so yes, Yukari has her vision because Gaku loves her.

so what is the real nature of Alice's unique sight? basically, her perception is one that solves problems; a perception borne out of the fact that Gaku had a problem that needed solving. all throughout the story, Alice's sole purpose was to be used by Gaku to achieve the ultimate goal of saving and protecting Yukari. she needed Alice to get to Jaunt, to take over Jaunt, to help propel her as the leading figure of the new age, and ultimately to discover the Theory Of Everything. it doesnt matter to Gaku if she ends up falling in love with Alice. she always, at the end of the day, only viewed Alice as a tool to use to solve her problem. as soon as Gaku had her solution, there was no hesitation. she discarded Alice literally the very moment Alice showed her the Theory Of Everything.

Brilliantly explained thank you :)

Also, I almost dieD LAUGHING at 11.2. Bless~

joined Feb 1, 2015

Never have I enjoyed a series that hurt my head so much. I kind of want to send this to a girl I know with a PhD in physics but then I'm not sure I'll ever understand her explanations. I'm extremely impressed with the translators.

joined Apr 30, 2014

11.2, hilarious as heck

Birdi
joined Sep 19, 2014

Drill-kun is kinda anoying even he just a cardboad since it was some LOL het plot device like Yukari been crushing for him
Oh course now is different but back to that time it was the reason to call show ''subtext''

Little Red Rum
joined Mar 6, 2015

The eye beams are A+ Gaku lolz

Akashic Records
Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

Drill-kun is kinda anoying even he just a cardboad since it was some LOL het plot device like Yukari been crushing for him
Oh course now is different but back to that time it was the reason to call show ''subtext''

well.. according to the chapter itself, this "drill" doesn't have anything to do with body part at all... I mean, even a woman have it.... so.....

anyway, Yukari just being Yukari, she can't even distinguish gender without guessing based on their names.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

well.. according to the chapter itself, this "drill" doesn't have anything to do with body part at all... I mean, even a woman have it.... so.....

anyway, Yukari just being Yukari, she can't even distinguish gender without guessing based on their names.

I have a feeling they're just Gurren style drills that represent potential or work ethic or something.

Then again, those were some nice eye lasers.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Lol, both extras were awesome! Cant wait to see what all next...

Ai,yo
joined Dec 24, 2014

Well, the apple in the end made me remember something. At first I was only paralleling Murasakiiro no qualia with Urobuchiverse, but now Ikuharaverse is kicking in - I thought Penguindrum when they showed that apple. The three girls ended up sharing their fruit of destiny, especially sharing Manabu fruit with Yukari resulted in finally affecting her destiny. But then again Madoka themes return with Buddhist analogies and also the mechanism of love giving abilities to its object. I think both of the famous scriptwriters could very well have been familiar with this manga, or it's just the same ideas flying in the noumen that had been picked by different minds, who knows?

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I really like how the letter at the end emphasized how Yukari changed because of Gaku's approach of supporting her instead of taking things in her own hands. I assume it was written right after Yukari talked to God-Gaku and was in case "Gaku" didn't find a way to be Gaku again so even though it would mean they'd never meet again, Yukari kinda wanted her to read it because there was no way of her finding the courage to confess those things in person. But now, after Yukari dealt with things by herself and the help of her friends, chapter 18 ends with what I'm pretty sure will be an actual confession from now emotional stronger Yukari.

Maybe I'm just making things up, though, who knows.

joined May 11, 2014

I kind of feel like the ending(including the letter) Is one of those interpretive endings.
While I hate those kinds of endings the way the story works kind of makes that kind of ending make sense in a logical way.
It's like saying WE as the observer get to read the letter and from there determine whether or not Gaku-chan read the letter because Yukari ended up dieing anyway or because somewhere down the line Tenjou decided to just give Gaku-chan the letter for whatever reason as she was the person entrusted with it.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that the letter itself creates for us the reader multiple 'Endings'.

So it's like every interpretation is right if we perceive it to be. I guess.

last edited at Apr 11, 2015 9:17AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This must have been a hell to translate. Quantum physics?

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

After reading all of it in one sitting with some appropriate soundtrack all i can say is... ...I don't know, too high right now, i'll share my thoughts once my head organize everything i've read, see you in never

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeah... I think the author was high on good stuff when he wrote that.

I hope Manabu doesn't ever read the final letter though.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Now that Yukari is making the effort to change her fate, then in at least one of the parallel universes Gaku doesn't read it, that's the one i'll take as canon

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Let's say the wave function collapsed the way we all wish it did.

To reply you must either login or sign up.