Forum › Blue Friend discussion

joined Jan 22, 2015

Does rape by a man turn someone lesbian?

I think it is less of a "turning into a lesbian" thing and more like a really horrible experience that can make one realize that there are "other and often better options" available. But I'm a man so what do I know?

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

I think it is less of a "turning into a lesbian" thing and more like a really horrible experience that can make one realize that there are "other and often better options" available. But I'm a man so what do I know?

The concept of single-target sexuality, where you have a fairly established sexuality (or asexuality) and then a single individual who falls outside of that sexuality interests you, might be what’s happening here. It could be that the way Ayumu treats her compared to others had such an impact that she developed this type of attraction. That said, here’s no particular indication that this MC isn’t just interested in women generally and it wouldn’t be an important distinction anyway, in my opinion.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Nezchan's response was perfect. She touched on all the tropes/memes involved in a concise way.

I will make one small concession to the trope, namely that if you're bisexual, and you get raped by a man, you might very well be turned off of or frightened by sex with men, at least for a long time, and to people not thinking in terms of bisexuality, as bisexuals are often erased by both gay and straight people, it would look much like "she was straight but became a lesbian because she was raped."

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan's response was perfect. She touched on all the tropes/memes involved in a concise way.

I will make one small concession to the trope, namely that if you're bisexual, and you get raped by a man, you might very well be turned off of or frightened by sex with men, at least for a long time, and to people not thinking in terms of bisexuality, as bisexuals are often erased by both gay and straight people, it would look much like "she was straight but became a lesbian because she was raped."

This is true. Unfortunately, I don't know if I've ever seen the trope used by someone who even leaves the door open for the character to be bisexual at all. It would certainly make some stories more interesting.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

One thing I don’t get is tho, why so many of these manga involve rape?

When a character has some sort of character flaw due to past trauma, rape is just the go-to thing. Presumably because it’s traumatic enough that almost no matter how bad the character acts, you still feel sympathy toward them.

If you follow the history of film and other forms of drama from about the middle of the 20th century, you can see successive waves of “default” answers for the question “what is the buried trauma that makes character X so messed up?”

It starts with Death: the death of a parent or sibling, or other direct experience of death (seeing a person killed, for instance).

Then it becomes physical and/or psychological abuse, usually by a parent or someone in the home (a nanny or servant, say). The degree and nature of the abuse ramps up over time, too.

Then it becomes sexual abuse, where it has been for some time, and of course the kind and degree of that increases over time in many contexts as well.

You can see an example in the 1957 movie The Three Faces of Eve, which was the first public exploration of multiple-personality disorder (as it was then known). Like other psychiatric-therapy thrillers, it’s a kind of detective story trying to unlock the mystery (in orthodox Freudian fashion) of the primal trauma that “split” the protagonist in multiple personalities. It is eventually revealed that as a child, Eve basically freaked out at her grandmother’s funeral. From a 21st century POV, that seems almost laughably tame—“Hey, at least pony up some sexual abuse and torture, or get those multiple personalities outta here!” But there it is.

Hana
joined Jun 20, 2014

Holy frick, this is the most angsty manga I can remember reading in a damn long time. It was beautiful, though ;_; But damn, why do all the men turn out to be assholes in the end? lol

its a yuri manga. Men are usually used either as jerks or hopeless suitors or a 'man with culture'.

last edited at Aug 3, 2019 9:51PM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

A long time ago, I bought this from Japan because I thought it looked interesting. Then I got tired of trying to read it in Japanese, so I tracked down the scanlator's website, then had to wait for them to finish the last few chapters. Yes it is dark, but I also enjoyed reading it. Hmm... guess it's been 8 years or so. Maybe I should reread it to refresh it in my mind.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Wow. I've had this so long that I swear I thought I had gotten it from Dynasty... When it popped up here I figured it was just a reupload/error correction thing, but it wasn't actually here?

Anyway, one of my favorites.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Awww that manga was sweet, the ending I mean.

Also isn't there a sexuality that loves anyone no matter who or what they are?

Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

Wasn't there a one shot this mangaka also did?
Can't remember name but it was a girl trying to find her friend from long ago and turns out she was the teddy bear of the girl she was looking for.

It's a very lazy way of giving a female character a Dark Backstory™. Manga doesn't have a monopoly on it, western movies, books and TV series use it as their go-to buried trauma all the time.

Some authors think so, yes. And people at large, believing that being lesbian has more to do with "rejecting men" rather than "being attracted to women". It's bullshit of course, and thankfully less common these days as lesbians are more visible, but the idea still floats around and lazy writers still use it now and then.

I can see how people who buy into "pseudo-romance specific to adolescence" would believe in it though.

I'm fine with the trauma part. It just surprises me that it's still such a popular idea. The author is probably trying to say "this kid was raped by a man, so don't worry about her ever hooking up with some guy later, she's definitely a lesbo and not bi." In a straight story it might be "she will be loyal to this guy forever cuz he's special." It's just so out of touch with reality nowadays. (*cough Citrus)

last edited at Aug 4, 2019 1:00AM by

Chained-kong-5ab9c8a67b959
joined Jul 14, 2019

circus_music.mp3

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

circus_music.mp3

No joke but i read Citrus music at first.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

If you follow the history of film and other forms of drama from about the middle of the 20th century, you can see successive waves of “default” answers for the question “what is the buried trauma that makes character X so messed up?”

It starts with Death: the death of a parent or sibling, or other direct experience of death (seeing a person killed, for instance).

Then it becomes physical and/or psychological abuse, usually by a parent or someone in the home (a nanny or servant, say). The degree and nature of the abuse ramps up over time, too.

Then it becomes sexual abuse, where it has been for some time, and of course the kind and degree of that increases over time in many contexts as well.

You can see an example in the 1957 movie The Three Faces of Eve, which was the first public exploration of multiple-personality disorder (as it was then known). Like other psychiatric-therapy thrillers, it’s a kind of detective story trying to unlock the mystery (in orthodox Freudian fashion) of the primal trauma that “split” the protagonist in multiple personalities. It is eventually revealed that as a child, Eve basically freaked out at her grandmother’s funeral. From a 21st century POV, that seems almost laughably tame—“Hey, at least pony up some sexual abuse and torture, or get those multiple personalities outta here!” But there it is.

That sums it up all right, very nicely. As a cinephile myself, I'm quite familiar with the history of film, and I think it's fascinating how our sensibilities seem to change as time goes by.

Oh, by the way, your closing comment about The Three Faces of Eve made me recall the final sequences of Paranoia Agent, right after detective Ikari has finally tracked to their source the supernatural forces that have been hitting the city with ever-increasing violence since episode one. Barely escaping what appears to be the complete destruction of the city, Ikari bitterly mumbles to himself: "All this because a little girl lost her pet doggie!" Which is hilarious because it's 99% a meta-commentary: he seems to imply that the scriptwriters should have come up with something more suitable to modern tastes, rape or murder or the like. But there it is.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I think the drama of this story was very well handled and it had an impact that a lot other series don't seem to have
I also think Ayumu is one of my favorite yuri protags

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I think the drama of this story was very well handled and it had an impact that a lot other series don't seem to have
I also think Ayumu is one of my favorite yuri protags

That's it. It's not often you see real depression/suicidal ideation depicted seriously in what is seemingly a romance story. I love that the author seems to balance both, even if the romance is only strongly implied, rather than confirmed.

Upside-down-legomd
joined Jun 13, 2015

Wtf is with those author notes every now and ten?

joined Jun 28, 2018

"Before I knew it, in feelings I didn't know the name of, I had drowned..."

Wow...

Beautifully written and amazingly poignant. On a personal note, I can relate with this sentence so much that it kinda scared me at first.

Looking forward to reading the rest of this!

joined May 9, 2013

Oh my gosh, after all those years, re-read it and feels so regret right now. Everything was so good and then the un-clear ending.... At the end, after all those things, they’re still not dated each other. Ffs. It’s so bother me. I hate open ending so much. It’s 2:00 am and I can’t sleep.

last edited at Mar 26, 2020 3:03PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I mean, if anything, the ending implies that they eventually fade apart due to the distance, as almost all relationships at that age do.

That wasn't the ending I wanted, even if it is very realistic.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

i still find it funny to think that Azuma was literally lurking by the alley holding a photo of her and Misuzu's, spying on the two hugging in the rain. like that was so random lmfao.

anyway, to the people who hated Misuzu from her possessiveness, i actually hate possessive people too. but as for people like Misuzu with PTSD, i quite understand why would she react that way. the anxiety, the insecurity, and a lot of things. Ayumu's help isn't enough tho, she needs professional help :/

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

i still find it funny to think that Azuma was literally lurking by the alley holding a photo of her and Misuzu's, spying on the two hugging in the rain. like that was so random lmfao.

Lol that really was incredibly random

This was okay, not the best I've read, but definitely not bad. There were some things I'd rather had been done differently (like the fact that that almost every single guy with even the tiniest appearance was a jerk), but I also think other parts of the story were done well. Namely, I believe that Misuzu's character was handled quite well and her actions were generally justified even if wrong.

I also quite liked the open ending: I feel like there is an absurd amount of stories that imply that a relationship between high schoolers will last a lifetime, even though that is usually not the case. Don't get me wrong, I like my "happily ever after"s, but reading a story were the characters move on, likely gradually drifting apart, is refreshing in a way. Plus, they still had a great impact in each other lives and Misuzu managed to take the first step to be able to stand on her own two feet, which I think is beautiful.

Good read made me go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

I'm still 90% sure they're dating. The ending is rather vague about the whole thing, but the whole "most important person" thing and the kiss makes me think that is just a LDR situation.

And you'll never convince me otherwise.

To reply you must either login or sign up.